Monday, May 21, 2018 around midnight EDT, the site will go offline for some scheduled routine maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience. [ X Dismiss ]

Culture Shock by SirNathan

Author's Description:
Elaine is a curious college junior who finds herself slowly and inexorably drawn into a lifestyle that captivates her. Prompted by the apparent safety of online fantasy, she investigates, and her strange world is eventually turned inside out as a risk taken changes her life. Please note: This is a story about 'how they got there', NOT about 'what happens after they arrive'.
Size: 701 KB ( ~ 132,930 words)
Genre: BDSM
Sex Contents: Some Sex
Tags: Ma/Fa, Consensual, Romantic, Heterosexual, DomSub, MaleDom, Humiliation, First, Masturbation, Sex Toys, Squirting, Exhibitionism, Slow, School

Review by Andrew Johns   [other reviews by Andrew Johns]

Reviewed: 2006-08-30

In "Culture Shock", SirNathan treats us to the story of Elaine, a college student that starts to learn about BDSM, and D/s in particular.

The sex in this story is mostly masturbatory, with some light D/s aspects of control added as Elaine moves further along in her exploration of her own self. Having said that, they are intense. SirNathan really lets you get inside Elaine's head in a way that will have most women with a submissive side shivering in delight, and men who understand the lifestyle wanting desperately to meet her. The last chapter is enough to set a Dominant's blood on fire. Excuse me while I drink a gallon of ice water!

The plot is flawless, and its most important factor is the feeling of realness. Everything that happens to Elaine, her roommates and with Gary, comes across as just feeling right. Elaine is perfectly written as a young woman exploring her potential for submission as well as her sexual awakenings. Even the minor players that Elaine meets in chat rooms come across as real.

Technically, the story is virtually flawless as well. I caught one typo in the whole story, in one of the later chapters. One word in the many thousand sounds perfect to me!

95% of BDSM and D/s stories you will find on any internet site are what I like to call "fantasy BDSM". This story fits into the other 5%, or real BDSM. Gary and others take the time to stress to Elaine the importance of not only being honest with them, but being honest with herself. And that self realization is often the hardest part of a submissive who is just discovering him/herself. SirNathan lets you go along for Elaine's ride.

This story also is a great read if you are even remotely interested in the BDSM lifestyle. SirNathan takes the time with the chats between Elaine and Gary to explain the core tenents of how it *really* is. If you've ever wondered what BDSM and especially D/s is all about, this story will explain it better than any other I have read here on SoL, or anywhere else outside of a book written about it.

In another masterful (pardon the pun) stroke, SirNathan doesn't let Elaine and Gary consumate their physical relationship on screen. The reader is left to imagine all the things that Elaine will have done to her by Gary. This is actually the perfect ending to this story, as anticipation itself was a major threme in the story. Making the reader feel the same anticipation was brilliant. Besides, what happens between a Dom/Me and a sub is their private thing. I felt good about letting them have that privacy.

Could there be a sequel to this story? Sure, there could be. But I'm perfectly happy with the way the story ended. Now I just want to meet my own Elaine!

I couldn't possibly recommend this story highly enough.

Plot: 10 | Technical Quality: 10 | Appeal to Reviewer: 10

Review by Stormy Weather   [other reviews by Stormy Weather]

Reviewed: 2006-08-28

Sir Nathan lives up to his reputation of being a gifted writer in this story of a college student who embarks on a quest of becoming unafraid to truly be herself when she begins to research the idea of becoming involved in a D/s relationship.

The story is told eloquently and honestly and the readers are given insight on what being in a relationship of this type is all about. There is also wisdom in this story that can be applied to any type of relationship; not just a D/s.

The scenes are set up well and the emotions of the in-depth characters come through clearly and it's easy to care for them and hope the best comes into their lives.

There are somewhat I consider to be "hot" moments in the story... with the final chapter being one of the "hottest" I've ever read.

I had the privilege of proofing the latter chapters of this story and it's a privilege to be able to recommend it to readers as one they should add to their reading list.

Plot: 10 | Technical Quality: 10 | Appeal to Reviewer: 10