Holiday Traditions - Cover

Holiday Traditions

by DG Hear

Copyright© 2013 by DG Hear

Fiction Story: A non-erotic story about following traditions after the death of a spouse.

Caution: This Fiction Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Cheating   .

Thank you to Linda62953 for editing this story and making it a much better read.

Christmas didn't mean much to me anymore; it will never be the same. I had lost my wife Mary, earlier this year. Even though it wasn't unexpected, it still hurt like hell. After two years of chemo and dozens of trips to the doctor and stays in the hospital, Mary and I became closer. Like people have always said, 'You don't know what you have until you lose it', and it really was true.

We hadn't gotten along all that well for the last few years before she contracted cancer, but we'd stayed together anyway. Now that I think back, maybe it had a lot to do with Mary's health. We were both fifty-six when she passed away. We have a son, daughter and four grandkids that miss her very much.

We didn't have the perfect marriage; in fact, it was far from it. For thirty-five years, we tried to make it work. In my younger days, I used to go out with the guys and leave Mary at home with the kids. Once both kids started school, she said she was going to find a job and 'do her own thing'. We argued a lot about her working, but she didn't listen to me. Sex always seemed to be on the back burner for a lot of our marriage.

I will admit I was immature and flirted with a lot of women, usually after drinking too much. I became jealous when Mary would talk to other men, even guys we knew. We seemed to argue about anything and everything, but especially when she went out with her friends. I was honestly afraid she would cheat on me and I wouldn't know how to handle it.

Many years ago, I did get drunk and had two one-night stands. I know she found out about them from my ex-friend Bill. He told her about them so he could try to get into her pants. When she told me what Bill had said to her, I called him a 'fucking liar'. I even went to his house and beat the shit out of him.

His wife Sally called the police and I was arrested. It happened a long time ago and Mary convinced Bill to drop the charges for the sake of our kids. To the day my wife died, I'm positive she believed Bill, instead of me.

Do I regret my mistakes I made in my younger days? Of course I do, but you can't turn back the clock and there are no 'do over's'.

It was at that time in our life that she started going out with the girls every few months. I followed her many times, without her knowing and never once did I find her cheating on me. Most of her girlfriends were married with kids also. I guess they really did just want a night out away from their husbands and kids. Her sister Dorothy who I really like usually went with her.

She also went to a lot of girlie party's like Tupperware, baking, clothing and purses. God knows how many of them she attended.

Our relationship was one of those 'on again, off again' things. I think we were a typical married couple at the time. Our family came first. We did our best to be there for all the school activities and competitions right up through their graduations and the kids' marriages. Then we started with the grandkids.

When we first got married our sex life was like two rabbits in heat. Neither of us were very experienced or adequately informed, so we watched a little porn and tried to replicate what we saw. It was much more funny than sexy.

We did have our really 'good days'. It was usually after parties like weddings and anniversaries that Mary would dress up and look sexy as hell. I was always proud to be with her. I wanted to tell all the guys who looked at her, "Tough shit Buddy! I'm going to take her home and fuck the living shit out of her. She's all mine." Needless to say, I thought it, but never said it out loud. After these episodes, Mary would often ask me why I was smiling.

I always got along with Mary's family. Her parents treated me like a son and her sister Dorothy was probably the only woman I cared for, besides Mary. They were so much alike and I would be lying if I didn't say I'd thought about Dorothy many times over the years.

I'm not sure how she felt but I think there was a connection between us. Neither of us pursued it though. Dorothy married Howard and had two kids of her own. The four of us spent a lot of time together and all the kids were close in age and grew up as good friends as well as cousins.

Mary and I went through a rather uneventful life. She took care of the inside stuff and I handled the outside duties. We would fight or argue over minor things, but I do believe we truly loved each other. We just weren't big on showing it.

After the one night affairs I knew Mary didn't totally trust me. If I talked to a woman, she would usually give me some smart remark and I'd say something back, which I would regret later. I honestly didn't fool around with anyone after the time I was locked up, but I guess I lost Mary's trust and never totally got it back.

When we went to parties, I would often sit and just watch her. It seemed like the only times she would kind of flirt was when she knew I was watching. She knew I had this huge jealous streak and would try to push my buttons. The thing is, I watched her body language but had no idea what she was saying.

One time at a New Years party she must have went too far. I went to the restroom and when I came out, she was dancing with someone she worked with. All I knew about him was, his name was Rob and he was divorced.

I didn't much care for the guy and when he slid his hand down to Mary's ass, she looked surprised and over at me. Before she could push his hand away, I was on him like a cat on a mouse. I grabbed him from behind and threw him to the floor. I hit him once before I was pulled off him.

"If you ever touch my wife again, I'll fucking kill you!" I said to the bastard.

Mary was crying and went to the ladies room with a girlfriend. Rob got up and headed to the men's room to clean up. I did bloody his mouth. No one was going to file charges and I was asked to leave. I waited for Mary to come out and she was embarrassed as we left.

"How could you do such a thing? I have to work with these people. What on earth made you do that? I'm so embarrassed," said Mary.

"How do you think I felt watching you flirt with that asshole, and letting him put has hand on your ass?" I replied.

"I had it under control; I was just going to push his hand back up to my waist and not make a scene." It was quiet in the car, and then Mary said, "I'm sorry! I didn't mean for that to happen. I love you Jim and would never do anything intentionally to hurt you. Will you forgive me?"

"Just stop trying to make me jealous. I will always be there to protect you and will never stand still and let any man grope you."

That night we had some of the best sex ever. I do believe it drew us closer in an understanding with each other. Something tells me, she told her sister Dorothy about what had happened and even about the sex. It was just the way Dorothy looked at me the next time I saw her, it was as if I could almost read her mind.

Life went on and things soon were back to normal. Mary did say the asshole apologized to her at work and she promised me she would stay away from him.

Christmas time around our house was always a treat. Over the years, Mary would go all out for the kids. I would tell her she spent way too much money but she never listened to me. I told her I was the one who would have to put up all the outside decorations. I really didn't mind it and the kids usually helped me.

Christmas morning was always a big thing at our house. We opened presents and then Mary would go in the kitchen and make a huge breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausage, hash browns, biscuits and gravy.

Even after our kids had grown up Mary and I would sit in front of our tree on Christmas mornings and open our few presents. Then the phone would ring and the kids and grandkids said they would all be over for breakfast.

It's funny how you remember these special times. I guess in the future, the memories are all we have left. When Mary contracted cancer, I promised her I would be there for her. I meant it and I was there every day, at every chemo appointment and sat with her all night long when she went to the hospital.

I did it out of love for her and some remorse for the bad times I had put her through. I was doing my best to try making it up to her.

Dorothy's husband Howard died of a heart attack the same year Mary found out about her cancer. They were there for each other. Dorothy was two years older than Mary.

Dorothy's kids lived out of state and came home for their father's funeral. Mary was by Dorothy's side holding her hand during the funeral service. After her kids went home Mary was worried about Dorothy being all alone. Mary asked me if I would do the 'man of the house' things to help Dorothy out.

It was no problem and I was happy to do it seeing she only lived a block away. Dorothy worked in an insurance office so it helped her to keep busy. I did stop by and mow the yard or shovel the snow, depending on the season. When Mary started therapy, Dorothy was at our house every evening to be with her sister.

On the days Mary had chemo, Dorothy would make us dinner so Mary could rest. The two sisters sat and talked, much about the old times and how they grew up. They were so much alike. I did my best to leave them alone and let them talk.

Dorothy was handling the loss of her husband quite well. Her kids would call her regularly. They even asked her to move out of state to where they lived so she wouldn't be alone.

I overheard one of her conversations one day. "Honey, I'm not alone, I have Mary and Jim here. I'm getting along fine, and Mary and I have always been close; she needs me. We love talking about old times. She has her good days and her bad days."

Then her daughter would talk and Dorothy would continue. "Jim is a Godsend; he comes over and helps me with any house repairs. He mows the yard and does whatever needs to be done. I love the man, Mary is lucky to have him." I saw a smile cross her face. She didn't know I could see and hear her.


As time went by, Mary was getting worse. She was rushed to the hospital, Dorothy, and my kids, Mark and Susan were there with me. We were told that Mary wanted to see each one of us alone. We knew this was the end when they called us all in. The kids went in first and came out crying. I went in next.

"Jim, I love you. I want you to know that. I know we've had some bad times but we had a lot of good ones too," she gave a slight smile. Thank you for being there for me. I know it wasn't always easy for you, either."

She hesitated before continuing on, "Jim, I need you to take care of Dorothy for me. I love her with all my heart and need to know you'll be there for her."

"I promise to help her all I can," I replied with tears in my eyes.

"Something that I have never told you was, when we were first dating, Dorothy said she had a crush on you and that if I didn't marry you, she would. I know that was a long time ago but I just wanted you to know. I love you Jim." I kissed her and she asked me to tell Dorothy to come in. I know I had tears in my eyes but tried to remain strong. I waited in the hall.

After talking to Dorothy, we all went back in and I held her hand as she took her last breath. I couldn't hold back anymore and we all cried. After we gained our composures, we left the hospital. I wasn't in shock, but I was at a loss as what to do now.

 
There is more of this story...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.