I Warned You Earlier - Cover

I Warned You Earlier

by Liz-n-Rick

Copyright© 2024 by Liz-n-Rick

Flash Story: A short story with no revenge or hatred of the other spouse. Just a quicky about two parents that saw the writing on the wall and thought of their kids rather than themselves...

Tags: Ma/Fa  

Candace Williams: Retired Army CW3

Jeff Williams: Retired Army Lt Colonel

Lily and Layla Williams: 18-year-old twins starting their senior year of high school.

Lily and Layla Williams had been out shopping today since they started their senior year of high school next week. The back of Layla’s mini cooper was full of bags from the various places that they went to shop at. When they got home, they saw their father’s black 1966 Mustang fastback was sitting in the driveway behind their mom’s red Acura TLX.

Lily looked over at Layla and smiled. “Dad’s here, and their divorce is final in two weeks ... do you think they’re ready to talk to us about it?”

Layla smirked. “Yeah, and to be honest, I’m kinda glad they’re going to get it out of the way. If they waited any longer, I would have gone to them.”

Both the young women grabbed their bags and walked to the house. Their father opened the door for them as they walked up. He got a quick kiss on the cheek as they walked by. He told them to go put their bags in their rooms and to come back down so they could talk to them.

They got to the top of the steps and Lily quietly said “Told you...” to Layla who just giggled.

They came back down and saw their dad and mom sitting on the couch. Their mom pointed to the loveseat and they both sat down.

“I heard what you said to Layla on the way upstairs, so I’m guessing you know what this is about?” Candace asked.

“We had an idea.” Lily said to her. “To be honest, we were starting to wonder when you both were going to get around to this.”

“Yeah, we’ve been waiting since you told us that you were getting divorced.” Layla told them.

“To be honest...” Jeff said to them, “We had a lot to talk about, agree on and work out. After that was finished, your mom and I just wanted some time to wrap our minds around what was happening. Please believe me that we weren’t blowing you off.”

“No, neither your father nor I would ever do that to you. We both love you too much to disrespect you girls like that.” Candace added.

Layla looked at Lily who nodded her head. “Ok, then I’d like to start this by asking what happened and why you both decided to divorce after 18 years of marriage.”

Jeff looked at Candace who said to him, “Go ahead, you’re they lawyer...”

Jeff chuckled and took a minute to gather his thoughts. “First off, let me say that I love your mother. I have since the first time she walked into my office at Fort Bragg and handed me the case that we worked on together. It wasn’t just puppy love or an infatuation. It was honestly love at first sight.”

“Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, it DOES happen.” Candace said to them.

“So, it was a mutual thing then?” Lily asked.

“Oh absolutely...” her mom replied. “The first time we met I was wearing leggings, and your father couldn’t take his eyes off of my legs.”

“That’s true, I couldn’t. I’ve always loved your mom’s legs.” He admitted as he rubbed her thighs and stared at her.

“And your father ... Oh MAN ... did he have some biceps and pecs ... And he still has great arms...” Candace said running her finger up his arm and staring him in the eye.

“Don’t make us hose you down...” Lily said to them. They both laughed and got back to the discussion at hand.

“You both already know how when we found out your mom was pregnant that she applied for a family hardship discharge since we were both active duty. You both also know that the Army was short on CID agents, so they let your mom be permanent party at Fort Campbell and work at the Provost Marshall’s office.” They nodded their heads having been told the story at least a dozen times.

Candace took over from there. “You both know that I’ve been, for the most part, your primary parent. Your father was the one that changed duty stations when the Army gave him orders. He was away from home for...” Candace paused, and Jeff answered.

“Total time is nine years, six months, and three weeks. And I’m sorry that I was an absentee father during that time. It’s one of my biggest regrets that I’ll carry with me...” He spoke. But before he could finish, the twins were off the love seat and hugging their father as tight as they could.

“We’ve never held that against you daddy. Every place you were stationed, we came to spend the summer, holiday, and spring breaks with you and loved every second of it.” Lily told him.

“Lily and I understood the military life daddy. We’ve never faulted you for your choices. If we’re honest, we’ve had a better father than most girls our age.” Layla told her.

“Daddy, we’ve never thought of you as an absentee parent. We’re PROUD to say that you stayed with mom and stayed true to her for all this time.” Lily told him.

“You and I have talked about this before, Jeff. How many daughters can say that they’ve hiked the Alps, seen Normandy, toured Tokyo, or driven across the country in a convertible? That’s a better education than sitting at home on the computer or in front of the TV watching the History channel. You have nothing to be ashamed of.” Candace told him quietly.

“Daddy, please don’t say you’re ashamed. We’ve always been proud of you and continue to be. We love you.” Lily told him as they both kissed him on cheek.

“Thank you, girls, that means more than you’ll ever know.” Jeff said wiping a tear from his eye. He chuckled remembering the drive from Fort Lewis Washington to Hopkinsville KY after he retired.

“You’re thinking about the moose on the road in Idaho again, aren’t you?” Layla asked.

“I can’t help it ... The look on your sister’s face when it came up to the car was hilarious.” Jeff said as the family started to laugh.

“I’m never going to live that down, am I?” Lily asked her family.

“No, and when I’m on my death bed, your mom and I will still be laughing about it.” Jeff told his daughter as he kissed her on the cheek. The girls got back up and went to the love seat again. “We know you have questions, so the floor is yours.”

Layla looked at Lily who nodded her head, and then spoke. “The first thing we want to know is why...”

Candace spoke to answer her. “First off, like we said earlier, we love each other. But we’re not IN love with each other anymore.”

“So, you’ve fallen out of love with each other?” Layla asked.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.