A Better Man - Book 3 - Cover

A Better Man - Book 3

Copyright© 2023 by G Younger

Chapter 2

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 2 - Are you ready for some football?! USC finally gets to play someone other than themselves, and David Dawson is the day-one starter. His rival, Matt Long, is in the wings, ready to take his spot if he falters. David soon learns that life isn’t fair, but he makes it his goal to be the last man standing.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Mult   Consensual   Romantic   Humor   School   Sports   Cheating   Group Sex   Orgy   First   Safe Sex   Slow  

David’s second day of school went a lot better. Brook had called and told him the doctors were encouraged by Cassidy’s progress, so much so that her dad and brother would be flying back to Illinois soon. Football practice had also done a one-eighty, and the offense was back on track.

After practice ended, Coach Merritt had one of the team managers tell David he’d been summoned.

When he reached the coaches’ offices, he found Rachel, Coach Farrow’s daughter, at the reception desk. When she saw it was him, she rolled her eyes and sighed loudly.

“You’re certainly different, aren’t you, Rach?”

“I don’t know. Is that good different or I-should-come-with-a-warning-label different?”

“I guess that depends on the day. Are you inclined to tell me why I’ve been summoned?” David asked.

She gave him an unbelieving look.

“And spoil the fun?”

“Dawson, quit flirting with Rachel and get in here,” Coach Merritt called from his office.

“Until next time,” David said as he gave Rachel a bow.

He saw the sides of her mouth quirk up involuntarily. He kept his own smile in check because he knew he was wearing her down.

David walked in and found Coach Merritt wasn’t alone. He was with Drew Langford, USC’s new athletic director, and Brent Allison, the Pac-12 commissioner. David had a feeling he knew what this was about.

“Brent, how’s your wife doing?” David asked as he shook his hand.

Drew gave them a surprised look, so David enlightened him. “Brent came to my birthday party this summer.”

“I told Governor Blackfarmer I’d be seeing you today. He said he’d like to sit down with you and discuss the homeless situation. He was impressed by all the money you raised,” Brent said.

“It probably won’t amount to anything, but I’d be open to talking to him,” David said.

“His people will be in touch,” Brent said, then shifted topics. “Why don’t we tell David why we asked him here?”

“I understand you have an agreement in place concerning your image,” Drew said to begin the meeting.

“Because of my other activities, my image is important to me. Before it’s used, I want my PR people to approve any promotions using my name, image, or likeness,” David said.

“We’re asking that you do some short commercials for the university that would be run during football and basketball games. And the Pac-12 would like to use your name and image for similar endeavors,” Drew explained.

David had expected this was coming, so he was prepared.

“Frank Ingram handles my PR. Let me give you his number. I pay him too much money to make sure my image isn’t tarnished not to get his approval before I do anything,” David said.

Coach Merritt handed him a pad of paper to write down the number.

“Once we get his permission, how soon could you do the commercials? We’d like to have them ready for Saturday’s game,” Drew said.

David wanted to tell him to stuff it because Drew had waited until the last minute but kept those thoughts to himself. Instead, he gave the man a smile. David knew he might want to cultivate his relationship with the new athletic director since he’d be hiring the next head football coach.

“If you can work it in around my other commitments, I’d be happy to help.”

“Of course, football comes first.”

“And school,” Coach Merritt added.

“Yes. School is a priority,” Drew said to cover his blunder.

“What about you?” David asked Brent.

“Nothing concrete right now. I just wanted to see if you were open to doing something.”

“Do you have any pull with the Pac-12 Network?” David asked.

“They’re their own entity, but I do have some sway.”

“Could I suggest a student reporter? Tracy Dole covered baseball last spring, and she would make a perfect representative for USC,” David suggested.

“This is why I like you. You’re always thinking of ways to network to advance your goals. I’ll see what I can do,” Brent promised.

“You don’t know how you can help me unless I tell you,” David said with a big smile.

“And now you’ll owe me,” Brent fired back.

“I think it’ll be the other way around when you see what Tracy can do,” David said, then turned to Coach Merritt. “Anything else?”

“Are you going to see Cassidy?”

“After dinner.”

“Let me know how she’s doing.”

David nodded and left.


After David’s exit, Jason called in Amy Stackhouse and told her about the meeting he’d just had.

“I have to say, it was pretty amazing to watch David in action. Did you know he’s on a first-name basis with Brent Allison, the Pac-12 commissioner? And that he knows and has met with NCAA President Mark Ellison? Not only that, but he knows the governor, and Governor Blackfarmer wants to meet with him.

“He’s also is on a first-name basis with the two biggest donors to USC athletics. I can’t remember any player having those sorts of connections. Anyway, by the end of the meeting, it felt like David had called the meeting and run it. He even worked to get another student a job.”

“And you’re wondering if Dylan was wrong in naming Matt the starter in spring ball?” she asked.

“I admit I made some assumptions because I was focused on the defensive backs at the time. I didn’t pay close attention to the offensive side of the ball. It was right before fall practice began when I was named head coach. I know I said that all positions were open to competition...” he trailed off.

“Remember, I told you the decision was going to be hard because they both played well,” Amy said.

“I’m starting to wonder if I’ve discounted David’s leadership abilities in favor of Dylan’s assessment,” Jason said. “Though now that I think about it, he was more than a bit biased toward his favorites. This may very well be one of those cases.

“You should have seen David at the end of the spring game. With the second-string offense against the number-one defense, he turned a broken play into a long score. Matt couldn’t have done that.”

“In the end, it’s your job to decide who starts. I suggest you sit down with all the coaches and get their feedback,” she said.

“If you were the head coach, what would you do?” Jason asked.

“I’d start Dawson because he’s shown his leadership. For example, when he encouraged Bear to pancake Percy, and when he got the Cardinal team to execute in the Cardinal and Gold game. I think the team will follow his lead. But then again, Matt has a much better grasp of running the offense. Despite my concerns about Matt’s leadership, I think you can win with either.”

“I agree with your point about leadership; David has impressed me with his skills there, such as getting the freshmen and backups to train this past summer. And he certainly learned the defense quickly. He may not be up to speed on the offense yet, but I suspect he’ll get there quicker than most people think. But none of that really matters; for this week, I have no choice.”


Cassidy’s room looked like a florist’s shop. She had flowers from the rowing team and coaches, the guys she’d trained for the NFL, and the girls she’d gotten into shape. She even got some from the football team, which surprised her.

Cassidy was in a mood when David arrived. When Brook saw him, she pulled David outside so they could talk.

“She’s starting to internalize how much the accident messed her up,” Brook explained.

“What did the doctors say?”

“That she might never row again. When she asked about the Marines, Cassidy learned it would never happen.”

“I wouldn’t count my little ninja out as far as rowing goes. You know how hard she will rehab,” David said.

“Her dad wants her to come home to Illinois to rehab,” Brook said to drop the real bombshell.

“She’d have to take a semester off,” David worried.

“I know.”

The two of them were quiet for a minute. Finally, he sighed.

“We need to have a united front,” he said.

Brook gave him a funny look.

“What?” David asked.

“You make us sound like her parents.”

“In a way, we are. It’s our job to protect her,” he said.

“No, it’s not.”

David was taken aback by what Brook had just said. It took him a few minutes to wrap his brain around the implications. But the more he thought about it, the more he realized she was right. Cassidy was an adult now, and it wasn’t up to David or Brook to decide for her. It was just their job to be her friends.

“Should we have offered to pay her medical bills and fly her dad and brother out?” David asked.

“We are blessed to have money. Here’s how I look at it: so long as it doesn’t hurt us or our families and,” Brook drew out, “we decide to do it voluntarily, it’s our money; we can do with it what we want.”

“Okay.”

“Cassidy’s accident has made me think about this, and I encourage you to do the same. I’ve been too quick to open my wallet. We both have enough money that we could retire today, but I’ve seen people like us lose it all due to ‘helping’ friends and family,” Brook explained.

David had heard cautionary tales of professional athletes who’d squandered staggering amounts of money doing exactly what she described.

He knew Brook had her own money her grandmother had given her. He also knew Grace would come to her granddaughter’s rescue if she ever needed it. But Brook’s point wasn’t lost on him.

“So, what exactly are you saying?” David asked.

“That we honor the commitments we’ve made. Although the two specialists and their teams were expensive, Cassidy would most likely have lost the use of her arm without them. But from here on out, we step back and only help when asked.”

“Even if Coach Hope has to get a second mortgage on his home?”

“It’s not our place to tell him or Cassidy how to live their lives.”

David chuckled.

“What’s so funny?” Brook asked, looking annoyed.

“I think this is the first time you’ve given me a life lesson. Normally, it’s either Tami or some adult like my uncle schooling me.”

“You don’t think I’m capable?” Brook asked, taking it the wrong way.

“No, that’s not it at all. I’ve always admired you and respected what you’ve told me. But you’ll always be my friend who’ll do wild and crazy stuff like skydiving with me. That person isn’t the one I think of when I need a life lesson. I was amused because, at some point, you became Miss Responsible,” David explained.

“I’m still fun,” she fired back.

“And that right there is why I never argue with women,” he said, softening it by grinning at his pouting friend.

Brook realized he wasn’t attacking her and smiled back at him.

“I don’t want Cassidy to go home,” David said as he got serious again.

“How did you feel when I told you I was moving to Cincinnati?”

“The same way.”

“And what did you do?”

“Supported your decision,” he admitted.

“We’ll just have to do the same for Cassidy.”

“But I won’t like it.”

“Neither would I,” Brook agreed.

“When are you leaving?” David asked to change the subject.

“Tomorrow. I have to get back to school.”

“Does Cassidy know?”

“I told her today, and she’s fine,” Brook said to put his mind at ease.

“Why don’t I go back in to give you a break?”

“Okay. I could really use a hot shower and some room service, so I’ll take you up on your offer,” Brook said, leaning in and kissing David’s cheek. “Tracy and Pam will be here in an hour and have agreed to stay with Cassidy until visiting hours are over.”

“Okay, thanks. I love you too,” he said as he got up and returned to Cassidy’s room before it got weird between him and Brook.


David had sent Crystal a message that he was headed back to his dorm. He grabbed some carryout and asked if she wanted to join him. She hadn’t had any alone time with him in almost two weeks, so she agreed. David said he’d message her when he got to her sorority.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.