Double or Nothing - Cover

Double or Nothing

Copyright© 2021 by Argon

Chapter 10: Valetta - 1858

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 10: Valetta - 1858 - When Captain Sir Charles Tolliver learns of his only, estranged son's death in the Crimean War, he has to take in his daughter-in-law, Suzanne and her daughter Alice, whom he had never seen before. Through the years of mourning, the strangers grow to respect and like each other, but it takes the sudden reappearance of Suzanne's long lost twin sister Paulina for Charles Tolliver to embrace life again.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fiction   Historical   Military   Restart   Sharing  

The steam passenger ship SS Alexandria, owned by the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company, was a large vessel of over 2,000 tons, powered by a 500 horsepower engine, and offering a monthly service to Alexandria, Egypt, calling en route at Gibraltar and Valetta. She offered comfortable accommodations for passengers, and Charles had secured a two-cabin suite for his family and lower deck accommodations for their servants.

They all travelled to Southampton by train where they embarked two days prior to the ship’s departure. Since the Southampton to Alexandria line was part of the Overland Route, connecting the Indian Raj with the British motherland, most of their fellow passengers were headed for Bombay or Madras. The Overland Route was now even more comfortable with the newly opened railway line from Alexandria to Suez on the Red Sea. Still, Charles was the most senior officer on board, sharing a dinner table with the Alexandria’s Captain Jameson.

Young Lt. Anson also travelled in an upper deck cabin, sharing it with another young Navy officer. During the days, he accompanied Charles, who was trying his best to gain more knowledge of steam navigation.

Captain Jameson was an outgoing man, and he readily shared his experience with sailing steam ships with Charles, even allowing him on the steering bridge forward of the single smoke stack whilst the ship got underway, something that merchant captains usually forbade to their Navy counterparts. Charles took a few turns at the wheel, but he also assisted in the navigation whilst en route, brushing up on his long forgotten skills and learning new ones.

Alexandria soon ploughed through the short waves of the English Channel against a fresh western breeze that would have forced a sailing ship to tack frequently. The steamer simply forged ahead, of course at the expense of two hundred pounds of coal per hour. Wearing borrowed clothing, Charles also inspected the boiler and engine rooms where black faced stokers and engineers laboured hard to keep the speed of the ship up at 10 knots.

Of course, he did not neglect his wife, paramour and granddaughter. In fact, he spent much time with them on deck, explaining shipboard life and nautical terms, but also seeing to their comfort. Their journey would have been infinitely more pleasant during the summer months, but at least they did not encounter any of the autumn gales whilst crossing the Bay of Biscay, and the fresh breezes effectively blew away the smoke and soot coming from the stack. On their southern course along the Portuguese coast they were escorted for a full day by a school of dolphins, which were delighting them with their playful antics, and distracting them from the constant lifting and dropping whilst they rode the huge Atlantic rollers.

The scenery changed completely when Alexandria steamed through the Strait of Gibraltar. Gone were the heavy Atlantic swells, gone the strong western breezes. The weather was pleasant when their ship called at Gibraltar to land passengers, restock the coal bunkers, and clean the furnaces. The Tollivers made use of the stay by strolling the streets and enjoying solid ground under their feet. Of course, as the new second-in-command of the Mediterranean Fleet, Charles received a dinner invitation at the Convent, the residence of the governor. Lt.-Gen. Sir James Fergusson was all kindness and delighted over his guests. Suzanne and Paulina caused much admiration at the governor’s table and, by association, so did Charles.

Alexandria went anchor up in the next morning, for the second leg of her journey. Now on an eastern course, Captain Jameson had the sails set to save on coal, and the ship still made over 8 knots whilst the stokers had a chance to rest after cleaning the furnaces during their Gibraltar stay.

The south-western wind died down on their second day, and steam had to be raised again. Still, in the calmer waters of the Mediterranean Sea and in the warmer climate, the passengers were seen on deck frequently. Charles and his family stood out a little, with all of them, even Alice, wearing pea coats on deck, the dark blue cloth contrasting beautifully with the women’s red hair. To their amusement, they noticed that several unattached, male passengers were tempted to approach Paulina, but deterred by their inability to discern the twins. Suzanne and Paulina even played the prank to swap their dresses during their after-lunch recesses in their cabin, confusing the would-be admirers completely. This also allowed Paulina to spend time with Charles’s arm around her shoulder whilst Suzanne acted the sister-in-law. Only Alice could see through the masquerade, but she was tacitly accepting her aunt as her second mother and played along, diligently hiding a grin.

Then, in the afternoon of the fourth day, SS Alexandria steamed past the northernmost island of the Malta archipelago, Gozo, and then continued along the northern coast for an hour before reducing speed for the entry into the Grand Harbour of Valetta. They all stood on deck as the ship glided past the splendid fortifications and buildings of the city until Alexandria’s steam engine reversed briefly to eliminate her momentum, and her anchor was dropped. Suzanne looked at Charles with sparkling eyes.

“This is magnificent! Do you know where we shall live?”

Charles pointed across the harbour to the southeast where a narrow strip of water separated two densely populated promontories.

“That inlet is Dockyard Creek where the Naval Station is located. You can see the smoke coming from the bakery? We shall have a house further inland, on Victory Square. The Commander in Chief uses Admiralty House in Valetta proper. I shall be in charge of that bakery, among other things.”

“What’s next then?” Paulina asked.

“I expect that somebody from Admiralty House will receive us at the quay. Let us get ready for the disembarkation, shall we?”

Indeed, their trunks and chests were already piled up on deck, with their servants ready beside them. It took only a quarter hour before a barge flying the White Ensign left the quay and headed for the steamer, a Navy lieutenant in the stern sheets. The barge hooked on, and a few moments later, the immaculately dressed lieutenant entered through the port.

Charles was easily recognisable in his uniform and cocked hat, and the officer saluted.

“Lieutenant Edmund Tasker-Bowles, at your service!”

“Rear Admiral Sir Charles Tolliver,” Charles returned. “Please meet Lady Tolliver, my granddaughter Miss Alice Tolliver, and my sister-in-law, Mrs. Paulina Faulkes. At their side, my flag lieutenant, Mr. Anson.”

“Enchanted, ladies!” Tasker-Bowles professed with a deep bow. “Mr. Anson!”

“Good day, Sir,” Anson answered with a bow of his own.

“Sir Charles, Sir Arthur sends his compliments and asks you for the favour of joining him at Admiralty House for dinner. Your own quarters are still used by your predecessor, Rear Admiral Stopford. Of course, once you will relieve him, you can move into your residence. Until then, Sir Arthur offers his hospitality at Admiralty House.”

“That is very kind of Sir Arthur,” Charles answered. “We accept his offer gratefully.”

“All that is left then is to convey you and your family to Admiralty House. We have two coaches waiting on the quay, and I took the liberty of hiring a number of porters for your baggage.”

“You seem to have thought of everything, Mr. Tasker-Bowles. Kindly lead the way then.”

Charles climbed down the Jacob’s ladder easily enough and then assisted Suzanne, Paulina and Alice, whilst the boat crew received and stowed their dunnage. Six oars then propelled the barge towards the quay. There were steps to climb up there, but Charles made sure that none of his family slipped on the wet stones.

Two carriages were waiting. One took Charles’s family plus Mr. Tasker-Bowles, in the other, Mr. Anson, Winslow, Edna, Paddy and Judy were riding, whilst a number of hand carts were loaded with their luggage. It was not far to Admiralty House from the quay, and they arrived within a few minutes.

Admiralty House consisted in fact of two separate buildings built around an inner courtyard. When they alighted from their coaches, they were received by Vice Admiral Sir Arthur Fanshawe in person who greeted Charles informally and bowed elaborately to Suzanne and Paulina when Charles made the introductions.

They were led up a grand staircase with marble stairs and shown to a small suite of rooms where he asked the women to feel at home and command over his servants. Dinner would be two hours hence, and until then they could rest. He then asked Charles and young Mr. Anson to follow him.

On the ground floor, he showed them to his large office. There were tapestries on the wall and the floors were of marble. Mr. Tasker-Bowles was there and there was a senior captain, presumably Sir Arthur’s chief of staff. They all had a seat at a massive table where fruits and other refreshments were offered.

Charles had not eaten fresh grapes in many years, and he enjoyed the taste.

“This is a grand place, Sir Arthur,” he offered to his superior.

Fanshawe chuckled. “Oh, it is. It sure beats any after cabin. Please meet Captain Hearns, my chief of staff.”

“Delighted, Captain,” Charles assured the man.

“Well, it is good to have you here, Sir Charles. How was the sailing?”

“Quite informative, Sir Arthur. I took the opportunity to study steam navigation in detail. Captain Jameson was very accommodating.”

“You’ll have your hands full in the next weeks to get the enlarged dry dock ready. I hope to get some work done on my ships over the winter months. Colossus will be your flagship?”

“That’s what they said at the Admiralty. Can I raise my flag in her?”

“I do not see any hindrance. I plan to make good use of your presence here, and I don’t mean by having you write dockyard reports. You know the eastern Mediterranean?”

“I commanded ships there in the years after Navarino. Even had a few actions.”

“Splendid. We’re all good friends and allies with the Turks now, but it’s better to show up there in force now and then to keep them on their toes. I was thinking after the New Year. That gives you an opportunity to get settled here, and Colossus can get time in the dry dock. I’ll give you some small craft and another two-decker to make it a squadron. Will that be agreeable?”

“I should think so, Sir Arthur. I shall appreciate the chance to show my flag,” Charles answered, actually quite pleased with the prospect of commanding a small squadron on an independent cruise.

“Excellent! I look forward to our cooperation, Sir Charles.” Fanshawe looked at Anson. “You are related to Sir Jeremiah Anson?”

“Yes, Sir Arthur. I am his grandson.”

“Well, send him my respectful greetings in your next letter! Well, him and your grandmother. I don’t know whom to respect more.”

“I shall, Sir Arthur. I expect that they will be delighted,” Anson answered politely.

Fanshawe rang a small bell now, and when a servant showed, gave him a hand signal.

“I hope you gentlemen will join me in a toast to our good collaboration? Splendid! I keep my cabinet well stocked with spirits. I do not overindulge, mind you, but I like variety. Do you think your ladies might enjoy a glass of sherry, Sir Charles?”

“They might,” Charles answered, “if only a sip of it. Mr. Anson, may I trouble you to relate Sir Arthur’s kind invitation to Lady Tolliver and Mrs. Faulkes?”

“Of course, Sir Charles!” Anson rapped, rising from his chair already. He returned perhaps two minutes later. “The ladies promised to join us presently, Sir Arthur.”

“Splendid! Before they join us, Sir Charles, how does one tell them apart?”

Charles shrugged with a show of equanimity. “I always assume that the one kissing me is my wife, and I go from there. Seriously, there are subtle differences in posture by which I can recognise my wife.”

“Mrs. Faulkes is widowed?”

“Yes. I never met her husband, but I believe the marriage was not a happy one. She joined my household after his demise, much to my wife’s happiness and, I shall readily admit, my own.”

Suzanne and Paulina entered the office in this moment, and they must have overheard his last sentence, for Suzanne have him a warm smile.

“You are a dear, Charles,” she said.

Fanshawe rose quickly and bowed. “Forgive my curiosity, ladies!”

“There is nothing to forgive, my dear Sir Arthur,” Paulina smiled. “If I may ask, shall we meet Lady Fanshawe at dinner?”

Fanshawe shook his head. “The climate did not agree with her, and my youngest daughter is expecting her first child. She returned to England.”

“A pity,” Paulina smiled.

Sir Arthur’s servant now reappeared with a trolley on which a large selection of spirited drinks and liqueurs was arrayed. Suzanne and Paulina both chose sweet Sherry before it was Charles’s turn. He surveyed the offerings. There were French and Spanish brandies, German fruit Schnaps, Russian Vodka, Danish Aquavit, but also three bottles which Charles suspected to contain Scottish whiskies.

“I’ll have a dram of the Glen Garrioch,” he told the servant.

“Very well, Sir Charles!” the man intoned, pouring the amber liquid.

“Excellent choice, Sir Charles!” Fanshawe complimented. “In fact, I shall have the same. Are you knowledgeable of whiskies?”

“A little, Sir Arthur. I even believe they bring me luck,” Charles answered with a wry smile that was returned by Paulina.

Captain Hearns picked a German Schnaps. Tasker-Bowles followed his example whilst Anson decided on a whisky, too, but picked the bottle labelled Milltown Distillery. Fanshawe then led the toast.

“Gentlemen, the Queen!”

They all sipped cautiously, except for Hearns who emptied the small glass in one gulp.

“To our host, and to the Mediterranean Fleet!” Charles answered, and again they sipped whilst Hearns had his glass refilled.

“To Lady Tolliver and Mrs. Faulkes!” Sir Arthur offered next and here, Suzanne and Paulina daintily clinked their glasses and sipped from their sherries.

When they all relocated to the dining hall, Charles felt the effect of the three glasses of whiskies he had felt compelled to sample. Alice attended the dinner and Rear Admiral Stopford also joined them, giving him and Charles an opportunity to acquaint themselves with each other and to make an appointment for the next morning. Dinner was a delight. Obviously, Sir Arthur had hired a local cook, and the fare was light and delicious, accompanied by local wines.

As a result, Charles was more than a little drunk when they retired to their rooms after one last glass of whisky. To the men’s surprise, Suzanne and Paulina had asked for a small sample of whisky as well, but they had been less than enamoured with it. Still, both women had it in their minds to share a bed with Charles, but with his last shreds of reason, he persuaded them not to run the risk to be discovered by servants coming to wake them in the morning.

“Really, my dears, we have no idea how this household is run. Let us be reasonable until we move into our own quarters.”

“Who gets to sleep with you then?” Suzanne pouted.

“We could trade off every other night,” Paulina giggled.

The thought seemed to amuse Suzanne. “You are right, of course. I can be Aunt Polly, and you get to be Lady Tolliver. Then we switch back again.”

“I bet it’s going to be a great fun,” Paulina agreed.

“You are bound to confuse me with such charades,” Charles pointed out.

Suzanne gave him a sound kiss. “That will be part of the fun, won’t it?”

As it was, Charles was joined by his lawful wife for the night whilst Paulina shared the second bedroom with Alice. Aided by the copious drink they had consumed, they slept well and long, only awakening when indeed a chambermaid opened the curtains and the window, letting in fresh air and the rays of the morning sun.

Sir Arthur insisted that they shared breakfast with him, after which Charles and Lt. Anson walked the short distance to the harbour where a gig sent by Stopford waited for them as promised. The crossing, a mere five cable lengths, did not take long, and the gig delivered them to the victualling yard from where they could easily walk to his future office.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.