Caleb and Cheval Jaune - Cover

Caleb and Cheval Jaune

Copyright© 2019 by Omachuck

Chapter 4: Three Musketeers

Playmates. Human children need playmates. Because of careful planning, the Harrad Colony had plenty of children of all ages, but from his earliest moments, Caleb had three self-selected companions. On the day he was born, his sister, Chloe, and the twins, David and Julia, were toddlers who bonded with him at first touch. The twins were the offspring of Corporal Jaime Jesús Hernández of the planetary security detachment and his daughter Lisa Marie.

Having been severely crippled from birth through her early teens, Lisa Marie became Caleb’s champion and mentor. She would not let him feel any different than would be normal between different children – not inferior, nor superior. Caleb blossomed.

Caleb’s three preferred playmates were almost constant companions. Together, they played, they napped, they explored, they fought, they shared, and they grew. Carefully monitored, the growing toddlers were allowed to open Caleb’s shell, a privilege offered to no other young child, to touch, stroke, and even kiss. (Remember, no germs.)

As Caleb grew, his mobility increased. His companion trio was given small, powered ‘steeds’ to use in some of their play. Jubal monitored Caleb’s physical interactions so that any hurt he inflicted was not greatly damaging, and Caleb learned restraint, control, and care.

Starting with toddlerhood, the quartet was present during Daddy Michael’s evening children’s story time when he regaled his youngsters with adventures involving evil foiled, heroines and heroes rescued (often by their own efforts, ) justice served, and dilemmas resolved. The ‘good guys’ were usually named after the children, the mommies, the daddies, or Caleb’s Praetorian Guard. The stories entertained, strengthened bonds, and very important, helped shape each child’s moral compass.

Jubal was justifiably proud, both of Caleb’s progress and of his own parenting skills. As a side benefit, he and Lisa Marie, themselves almost constant companions, bonded and became virtual lovers. Lisa Marie continued to love her father and his mates without reservations, but Jubal was special.

As Caleb’s terrible twos subsided, Jubal told Caleb’s biological parents that it was time for Caleb to spend some time with his godparents on Tuull. Caleb, understanding that this meant separation from his companions, was distraught and almost inconsolable. Finally, Lisa Marie was designated as nanny, and the entire cadre was allowed on the trip. Marcie Orlov and Jamaal were aboard the ship, but on this excursion, they would not meet any Tuull.

Learning some Confederacy languages was not as impractical as it might seem. Part of the education of the quartet and their Guard was intense exposure to different Earth languages. From parents and siblings they learned English, and from Lisa Marie they learned Spanish. To continue the process, Jubal and Dora usually conversed in Tuull, and Jubal made sure that they began to understand the almost irreproducible-for-humans sounds that made up Darjee. Communications were, as yet, primitive, but further along than would normally be expected. Caleb could say ‘no’ and ‘why’ in many languages, and he was rapidly expanding his vocabulary.

Aboard Helva, the youngsters’ education expanded again. From listening to music, Auntie Inkie and Auntie Helva began involving them – Lisa Marie included – in making music. Inkie and Armand assisting, they learned musical notation, notes, melody, composition, rhythm, and early stages of vocal control. Caleb, able to use an electronic synthesizer instead of ‘mere meat’, excelled. The remaining pupils were no slouches, but Caleb was a delight. By the end of the voyage-visit, the passengers were on their next step to becoming renaissance men – uhh, beings.


Upon their arrival, Inkie, and the holographic avatars of Helva and Jubal presented themselves to Lead Counselor T’Bwinkel. “As promised, we bring your godson, Caleb,” Inkie began, “and we took it upon ourselves to bring his companions who will likely accompany him throughout his life’s journey. Though I must confess, we didn’t have much choice, because the thought of separation was very painful to them.”

“They are welcome; their presence highly desired,” responded T’Bwinkel, and she turned to Jubal, asking “T’Kleesual, what have you to offer?”

Jubal’s avatar stepped forward and reported, <All is progressing well – as predicted and as hoped. The youngling is truly human and not a biological version of an AI. I must also tell you that I have wakened and find myself behaving as what they term a ‘daddy’. This association gives me pride and pleasure. I have also partnered with a human female – the mother of two of Caleb’s companions.>

He waited, and receiving no response, he continued, <Like S’Rndult T’Blssut, I find in myself no conflict, no division of loyalty, between our two species. However, because we – and also T’Krandit – are hybrids, I respectfully request that we be allowed to associate as members of Clan T’Blssut.>

<I will consider on your request, > the lead counselor responded. <After I have consulted with the full council and after meeting my godson, I will give you an answer.>

<No immediate rejection is good news, > Jubal shot to Inkie and Helva privately.

<Indeed!> Inkie responded.


After consulting with Helva, and especially with Jubal, Inkie chose to present Caleb, his companions, and Lisa Marie to the full Tuull Planetary Council. To understand and trust Caleb, they needed to see and trust as much of his environment as possible.

Six humans and two avatars entered the council room. Separate from the council’s table was a grouping of small chairs for the three companions, two for the human adults, and thirteen seats for the Tuull counselors. Caleb wheeled to Lead Counselor T’Bwinkel, and greeted her in well-rehearsed Tuull, “Hello, Godmother T’Bwinkel, my name is Caleb, and I am happy to meet you. I brought you kittens.” He thrust out a basket holding two six-week-old kittens, offspring of ship’s cat, Pixel.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.