Clues - Perfume - Cover

Clues - Perfume

by oldgrump

Copyright© 2019 by oldgrump

Drama Story: The scent was new, at least at our house.

Tags: Ma/Fa   Cheating   RAAC  


Author’s note: Perfume names may or may not be real. Also, I did not use an editor this time.

The scent was new, at least at our house.

Sometimes troubles in relationships are not talked about, but there are often clues.


I am Richard Stevens Jr., 35, married to Jane Stevens (nee Silvers) 31. We have been married for 6 years, and are trying to have a child. I am currently the CEO of the family corporation R. S. V. Corporation. We produce furniture for the office environment.

I met Jane at a charity dinner dance. Sam Wilson, my friend, talked me into going to the dance with his wife Sandi’s friend. That friend was Jane. We danced almost every dance. I silently thanked my mother for forcing me to take dancing lessons when I was an awkward teenager going through puberty.

Jane told me she was the personal assistant for an officer at Sam’s company. She was also Sandi’s friend and they had known each other since middle school.

I come from a family that could be described as very well off; all right, rich. It’s funny though, to the outside world we are middle class. My father and mother both drive older cars, Dad’s is a five-year-old Ford, and mom’s car is a three-year-old Honda Civic. My sister Cathy and I went to public schools. We dressed in good, but not fashion label clothes. We live in a four-bedroom ranch in a mid-scale neighborhood.

One place they did not skimp on was our college educations. They paid for all of our college expenses and gave us an allowance for spending money. I worked with my dad summers and had an internship at his company. When I graduated, dad bought me the car of my choice, and I think I blew his mind when I bought a Subaru Outback. So sue me, I love to fish and the roof rack could carry my rowboat.

Cathy also worked with my dad during the summers, and when she met and married her husband Jack, mom and dad put on a great wedding and the newlyweds did not have to pay for anything.

I got a job at my dad’s company. It was not nepotism, because dad insisted that I use mom’s maiden name until I proved myself. That lasted a little over a year when I was lured away to work for a company on the other side of town.

Dad was my biggest fan. In his words “Go work for them for two or three years, and see if they have procedures that we can use. You’ll continue to make me proud as you always have.”


By the time I met Jane, I was 25, and a department head at the company I left R. S. V. for. I had kept dad apprised of things going on at my company, (without spilling any secrets and with full knowledge of my bosses) because our company products fit with dad’s; in fact, dad had purchased a lot of my company’s product. When the owners wanted to retire and sell the company, our family formed a corporation and bought them out. Not a single hourly or non-managerial person lost their job. Only one manager was not retained, and he was given a generous early retirement.

Sam’s family was very similar to mine and owned the company he worked at. His family and mine had a long friendly relationship away from work as well as a long profitable relationship in business. They also had the same attitude about privilege, Sam even went to the same high school I did, but he was a year behind me and in Cathy’s class.

Sam’s family’s company was a major producer of hardware (nuts, bolts, and screws) and I would meet him when he personally came into my office and sold me supplies. We hung out together and I was his best man.

Sam also was an avid fisherman, but he insisted on a 20-foot pontoon to fish from. It worked for me too, but he never turned down a trip to some of the little lakes that I could carry my rowboat to.

Sandi (don’t call me Sandra) was and is a classy lady. That being said if we were taking the pontoon; she was there baiting hooks and mostly showing is how to fish.

As I said Jane was a personal assistant to one of the senior people in Sam’s company. She was also, as I found out on that first blind date, Sandi’s very upscale looking cousin. By that I mean she told me in great detail that she wanted to find a handsome rich man to give her everything that she wanted. She told me she was using her job to scout out marriage prospects among the executives in the company. She also knew that Sam’s family was the owner of the company and she lamented that Sandi had Sam tied up so she was looking at fast risers at the company who might end up well off.

Jane’s comments did not make me comfortable, so as the night was winding down I pulled Sam aside and asked him to dance with her so I could talk to Sandi. He did.

I moved over into a chair next to Sandi and said; “Sandi, you are the most beautiful person at this party tonight. I want you to know that I have had a good time, but, and this is no reflection on you, please do not tell Jane that my family has money. I have told her I am a department head, and that did not seem to be high enough in the hierarchy to be a suitable suitor. I hate to say it, but she seems to be a selfish gold digger, and I want nothing to do with her after tonight.”

Sandi looked at me and said, “As much as I need to stick with family, she has always been a pie in the sky type of person. If she asks, I will not give her any information, but please, tell her you are not interested and why. Maybe she will get the hint.”

When the dancing was over and we were getting our coats, I thanked Jane for an enjoyable evening and made a big production of thanking Sam and hugging Sandi.

I turned to Jane and said; “Jane I have had a wonderful time tonight. However, I am not what you are looking for. I am a department head who is not looking to advance. I don’t like fancy cars, upscale condos, estates or any trappings of wealth. I am just a simple guy with simple tastes. As I said, I had a great time, but I will not be calling for a date. If we run into each other, I will buy you coffee, and catch up on all of Sam’s company secrets, but I don’t think we are a compatible couple. Goodnight.”

I then went to the valet and in a slightly loud voice asked for the Subaru Outback. I turned and thanked Jane again for a great evening, and told Sam I would see him on his next sales call, or whenever he wanted to go out in my boat. As soon as I said boat, Jane sort of perked up.

Sam saved me. “I don’t think I want to go on the lake in a twelve-foot rowboat again, let me know when you get a different one.” Then he laughed.

Sandi must have told him what I told her.


Of course, if that was the end of the story, it would not be very interesting.


About six months later, the vice president in charge of overseeing my side of the business had a heart attack, and took a golden parachute and retired. After several discussions with other department heads, my dad offered me the seat.

I accepted with the proviso that I had complete control over the movement of personnel within my area of the division. It was granted. I moved my personal assistant into the chair outside my office and moved the lady that was the old VP’s assistant into my old chair as the department head. Barbara, the previous assistant knew more about how the company was run then I would learn in ten years. Angie, my assistant was someone I trusted with all of my company business.

The promotion was splashed all over the local newspaper’s business section. It seems that I was the youngest VP at R. S. V. Inc. I was given a huge promotion party, and Sam and Sandi were of course invited. The surprise was that somehow Jane was invited also. She latched onto me like a limpet mine on a destroyer.

“Not looking to move up, huh. I bet you worked your ass off to get the job. I know I came across as pushy, but I was in heady company, and let my mouth run on. I would like to try to get to know you. Would you be interested?” Jane was just running on.

I did not respond, but I could see that she was sincere to a point. I was very wary. I had to work the room, and Jane would not leave my side. I was uncomfortable with that and decided that I need to use the restroom. That was the only time until then that she was not attached at the hip with me. I came out of the john, and walked outside and came in another door near where Sandi and Sam were. I begged that they try to get Jane to leave me alone. They tried, but they were unsuccessful.

I lived with it. As I was leaving, Jane gave me a slip of paper and whispered: “Call me.”

I made a point to crumple it up and toss it in the trash while still in her view. “Thanks, but no thanks, Jane. I am not looking to be a social climber. We would be at each other throats in six weeks. I want and need a partner, not a pusher. Goodbye.”

Somehow Jane got my home phone number. She called the Tuesday after the promotion party. “Rickie, what is the problem you have with me? Did I piss you off somehow? What do I need to do to make it right?”

“Wow, Jane you are full of questions tonight. Ok, first problem, no one, not my mom, not my dad, not even an idiot is allowed to call me Rickie. You talked almost completely about your mate hunting plans that first night I met you. I refuse to be that man. You have done nothing to piss me off, put me off, yes; but not piss me off. If you want to make it right, talk to your cousin and her husband about privilege and wealth. I do not have a dime of my family’s money and have not used any of it except for college. Does that answer all of your questions?”

“Yes, I guess it does. I am not giving up but I will talk with Sandi and Sam. Maybe I could invite you to something in the future?” Jane was almost pleading.

“I will give any invitation a great deal of thought. I suggest that you not attach to me like a barnacle; like you did Saturday.”

With that, we ended the call.


Sandi called that Friday night after work. “Would you like to come to dinner a week from Sunday, Jane will be here too. I wanted to warn you in case that will be a problem.”

“That is not a deal-breaker, Sandi. Jane and I had a talk earlier in the week. If she has thought the conversation through, we are fine. I will be there.”

We met again at dinner.

Things progressed, and Jane seemed to be true to her attempt to tone down the social climbing.

I took her at her word.


We talked, and I saw a different person than the one who was almost bragging about her goals. She tried to apologize.

I brushed it off as unnecessary.

We started dating and became exclusive after a few dates. Sandi and Sam seemed pleased.

Jane was a wonderful person when she wasn’t scheming. We dated for eight months, and I asked Jane to marry me and she agreed. I asked for and she agreed to a prenup. That prenup protected me in case of a divorce. My house and family assets were protected.

She was a beautiful bride, and we went to Niagara Falls Canada for our honeymoon. We spent a week there and then a week in Toronto. It was wonderful.

We settled into a married life that was very good. Like any two people who have strong feelings, we had arguments. We yelled, we cussed, but we always went to bed together. I was surprised when the arguments never went into the realm of money and social graces.

We never joined a country club, never got opera tickets. We did buy tickets to plays, and orchestra tickets. We also always had a current fishing license for each of us.

About a year after we were married, Jane brought up the subject of kids. I was not against it, but I asked if she was sure. The response was emphatic.

“Yes”

We tried for another year and finally went to a fertility doctor. We were both fertile, and there were no pointers to incompatibility. We kept trying for another year.

Finally, Jane said; “Maybe we’re trying too hard. I want to go back on birth control to take some of the pressure off.”

I agreed.

Finally, after she had an IUD implanted, we relaxed and enjoyed a great life for the next 4 years. Then we felt we could try again.

Just about that time, my father died, and I was appointed CEO. Without even trying Jane had her wish to have me climb higher up on the social ladder fulfilled. My dad had the foresight to place all of the family assets into a trust for Cathy and me and any of our offspring.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.