Campfire Talk

by DG Hear

Copyright© 2007 by DG Hear

True Story Story: Some of my personal memories of Halloween. There is no-sex or erotica in this story. It's short, so take the time to read and comment.

Tags: True Story   Halloween  

Note: If you're looking for sexual erotica, you may want to pass on this story. There's no sexual content in this story; just an old guy reminiscing around a camp fire with his family. A big thank you to my editors, LadyCibelle and Techsan, for making my stories much better reads.


I'll begin with saying that these are true incidents to the best of my knowledge and memory. When I was younger our family would sit around a campfire; actually we still do. We would roast corn, have hotdogs cooking over an open flame and make little pies and burn our marshmallows. The kids always like making smores, which is a combination of Graham crackers, melted marshmallows and chocolate bars. Mom or my wife would make hot chocolate or we would have hot cider.

It was in the fall around Halloween, we would sit around the campfire and take turns telling stories. A lot were about ghosts and goblins. Others were stories about going to the cemetery and how the dead would rise and come after us. A lot of horror stories were told, each person trying to gross out everyone else.

I think the stories that meant the most to me were the true ones that happened on Halloween. We did a lot of things that most everyone has heard of or even done; soaping windows when we didn't get a treat or putting dog poop in a bag and set it on fire and watch the homeowner step on it. We really didn't ever do much damage, just tried to have fun. I remember old man Jenkins next door getting three pizza deliveries, compliments of us. We would then barter with the pizza delivery guys for a better price or he could take the pizzas back to his restaurant.

I have three short stories to tell you about. As I mentioned they are true to the best of my knowledge. For those who aren't from a large city or familiar with Trick or Treat night, I'll try to explain what we did.

All the kids would get dressed up in costumes and go trick or treating. They would go door to door to the houses who had their porch lights on and yell, "trick or treat" or way back then we would say, "Help the poor." Help the poor came about in the 1940's when money was pretty slim. A lot of kids would dress up like beggars or hoboes. We would take a pillow case or big sack and see how much candy and money we could get.

Back then we didn't worry about children being taken or anything like that. We always went around with groups of kids and only on the streets of people we knew. That was the way it was supposed to be.

Story #1, One of my stories:

I started out by telling one of my old stories of Halloween night. I must have been thirteen or maybe even fourteen years old at the time. Two of my friends and I sat on the front porch and passed out candy to all the little kids that came by. It was usually hundreds of them in Detroit where I was from. Believe it or not, we missed not going out. We missed all the candy and even the pennies and nickels that so many people gave out. When the crowds of kids started to slow down, I asked Don and Leo if they wanted to go out. They told me we were way too old until I gave them my suggestion.

I have older sisters and so did Leo and Don. We all got dressed up in our sisters' clothes. When I asked my sister to help us she had to laugh. We had on dresses, bra and all. It took a lot of tissue to keep the bra padded. I wasn't about to wear their underwear, but we did wear a half slip. My sister put make-up on all of us and clip-on earrings. We wore hats since our sisters didn't have any wigs. We tried to wear their high heels but they didn't fit and we would continually fall down. I now have great respect for my sisters. Putting on all this garb to try and impress a guy, I don't think so!

Don, Leo and I headed a couple of blocks down the street to where the bars were. Where we lived there were about six of them in a four block radius. We went to each bar and asked for money. We were asked to leave in a couple of them but in the others we got a lot of laughs. The bartenders - some knew our dads - laughed and gave us a quarter of even up to a dollar. We would go up to the drunks and hassle them for their change.

Some of the bar broads even laughed at us. What was bad was that some men were so drunk that they actually thought we were women. After we left one of the bars we trapped one man in a phone booth. We told him we wouldn't let him out till he gave us each at least a quarter. He was actually scared and said all he had was a dollar and gave it to me. I reached in my purse — yes, we had purses - and put the dollar in it and gave Don and Leo each a quarter.

When we got back home we had trouble getting the make-up off and at school the next day we took a little ribbing. We each had about ten dollars so it was a good night's work back then. I do have to say it was fun but I found new respect for women. I also realized what women mean when they say some men will chase anything in a dress. We were positive proof of that. I mean to tell you we were really ugly.

After I told my story, every laughed except my dad. He didn't look too happy with me. I was his son and me dressing up like a woman didn't impress him. Of course I told him that was many, many years ago. I was married now with kids of my own so dad got over it quickly.

I looked over at my wife and I could tell she was thinking. She had a slight smile on her face.

"Honey, what are you thinking about?" I asked.

"My favorite Halloween," she replied.

She began her story.

Story # 2, My wife's story:

As everyone knows, I come from a very large family having eight brothers and sisters. When I was growing up we never had much. All my clothes were hand-me-downs and we were lucky to have enough food on the table. I was only about six at the time but I remember it as though it was yesterday. We all dressed up for Halloween in anything we could find. I put on some of my mom's old clothes and her hat. My brothers and sisters said I looked like mini mom. I loved my mom so it really made me feel good.

We went house to house getting candy. It was the one time of the year that we knew we could get free candy which was something for a poor family like ours. I was the smallest one as I ran after my brothers and sisters. I had my bag of candy and I remember some people giving us some pennies. I had no idea what that would buy but I was going to give it to my mom because I always heard her talking to dad about money and feeding all us kids. I figured it would help her buy food.

We were almost finished for the night as porch light after porch light went off, meaning the house was out of candy. I walked up to this one house as my brothers and sisters were leaving. As I stepped up on the porch the lady turned the porch light off. My brother laughed and told me I was too late.

The lady at the door looked at me as I was turning to leave. I felt sad. She stopped me and said, "Sweetheart, I'm all out of candy but if you wait a minute, I have something special for you."

 
There is more of this story...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.