Between The Heartbeats - Cover

Between The Heartbeats

Copyright© 2006 by Megan Kingsley

Chapter 7B

Friday, 11 July 03
1830 EDT
Chegwidden Residence
McLean, VA

"Papa, you're late!" Francesca accused as he nearly ran in through the front door.

"I know, I know." AJ dropped his briefcase and cover on the table before making his way to the bedroom. "I couldn't get out of the office on time and then there was an accident on the highway."

"Jules is nearly ready; she is dressing in my bedroom."

AJ turned and faced his daughter, asking, "You're bedroom? Why is she in your bedroom?"

"She did not want you to see her before she was ready." Francesca grinned, "I think she wants you to get the full effect of what she is wearing."

AJ jumped in the shower and was shaved and dressed in his charcoal gray suit in record time. He was tying his maroon tie as he walked into the living room. "Where's Jules?" He asked his daughter as she came to fuss with his tie.

"She is just putting on her earrings right now." Francesca finished fussing and stepped back. "Oh, Papa, I am so excited!"

AJ wrapped his arms around his daughter and asked, "Are you ok with Jules, Daughter? Really and truly?"

"Oh, Papa, I just love her! I think she's perfect for you." Francesca enthused.

"You don't think she's too young?" AJ asked the question that had been silently plaguing him for a week. He hadn't even admitted his fears to himself.

"Papa, she may be younger than you in her years but not in her ways. She's perfect for you!" Francesca tried to reassure him.

"Well keep your fingers crossed tonight, Darlin'."

Francesca grinned and held up her hands with both sets of fingers crossed. "Is everything set, Papa?"

"Yes, I confirmed everything just before I left the office. Everything is in place."

"AJ?" Jules murmured from the doorway.

AJ turned and the breath left him in a whoosh. There stood Jules, her hair swept up in an elegant do with tendrils at her ears and her bangs framing her face. Her make up was heavier than usual and smoky, her lips painted a sultry red. She wore a pair of shoes that gave him ideas that were only fueled by the little black dress she'd poured herself into.

Jules started fidgeting when AJ continued staring at her with his mouth open and no expression on his face.

"You look beautiful." He breathed. AJ walked slowly toward her and took in the full effect of her appearance.

Jules bit her lip and looked hesitantly down at herself before looking at him. "You look wonderful, AJ." Jules confessed. He looked stunningly sexy in his suit. Gosh, the man could wear anything and look sexy, Jules thought.

"Are you ready to go, Darlin'?" AJ asked as he kissed her carefully on the temple.

"Yes." Jules whispered. "I just need to get my wrap and purse." Jules carefully withdrew into the bedroom and grabbed what she needed before returning to the living room. "AJ, thank you so much for the flowers, they're beautiful."

Smiling, AJ said, "I'm glad you like them. He took her wrap and held his elbow out for Jules to take. "Daughter, don't wait up."

"I may not get in late myself tonight, Papa. I'm going out with Harriet and Sarah." Francesca giggled. "They'll be here shortly to pick me up."

"Have fun." Jules kissed the air beside her cheek so they wouldn't muss their make up.

"You too!" Francesca giggled back. She couldn't wait; her Papa would come home engaged to Jules!


Friday, 11 July 03
2000 EDT
Orsati's Restaurant
Somewhere Ville, VA

AJ pulled up to the valet in front of the restaurant and handed over his keys while accepting the parking stub. He offered Jules his arm and escorted her into the restaurant.

"Can I help you, Sir?" The hostess inquired.

"Yes, the name is Chegwidden." AJ replied.

Jules noticed a look pass between AJ and the hostess and wondered at it. She didn't have time to ponder this too deeply because they were being escorted to a beautiful and secluded booth. The hostess left them and Jules breathed in awe, "AJ, the flowers are beautiful."

AJ watched her lightly trace the lily blooms floating in the crystal bowl. "I'm glad you like them, Darlin'."

Jules smiled and said, "I love all my flowers, AJ, but there's so many of them." She lightly ran her finger tips along the edge of the crystal bowl, it was beautiful.

When a light ballad began, AJ asked, "Would you care to dance?"

Jules grinned. She loved dancing with AJ. "Yes."

AJ stood and extended a hand to Jules and lead her to the dance floor. There were only a few couples swaying to the music when AJ took her in his arms and tucked her beneath his chin while they danced. He tried to move them into a dance position, but Jules wasn't having it. She insisted on keeping her arms twined around his neck, not that AJ minded having Jules pressed against him. He wrapped his arms around Jules waist and rested his hands in the small of her back, caressing the upper swell of her six.

He kept a close eye on the table and when the waiter caught his eye, AJ nodded that they were ready for the appetizers.

They danced one last dance before AJ steered them back to the table where they enjoyed The Wild Salmon; a confit of wild Atlantic salmon, salad of asparagus sweet tomato and lemon minced arugula emulsion. They shared tender looks and sweet kisses between nibbling on the delicious food.

Jules heard the music change to a light jazz number and turned bright eyes to AJ as the waiter cleared the table. AJ smiled and lead her to the dance floor. He couldn't help but remember how they danced that afternoon at the Regatta, their first date. AJ leaned down and discreetly nibbled on her neck just behind her ear where it wouldn't show.

Jules gasped softly and snuggled into his chest, swiveling her hips against his seductively. She looked up into his tender eyes and noticed from the corner of her eye, the waiter at their table, and motioned to AJ. "You preordered everything?" Jules asked.

"Even the wine." AJ grinned at her surprised expression.

"What did you order?" Jules asked as he led her back to their table and carefully seated her.

"For you, Darlin', sesame crusted salmon over spinach with grilled shrimps and lobster sauce and for myself Black Angus steak with gorgonzola crust. If there's something you don't like we can order something else." AJ hastened to assure her.

During their dinner, the sweet kisses from earlier deepened, becoming more passionate as they fed each other little nibbles from their plates. When they'd had their fill of the delicious meal, AJ led Jules once again to the dance floor, giving the waiter time to clear the table. He was once again careful to keep Jules eyes away from the table while the waiter prepared this evening's surprise.

The waiter carefully attended his duty and signaled the gentleman when he was finished.

Jules let AJ lead her back to the table with his hand caressing the small of her back. When he seated her, she noticed that there was a bottle of champagne in a silver ice bucket and two glasses waiting on the table. The candles were fresh and newly lit; they were as snowy white as the linen table cloth.

She watched AJ pour the champagne and hand it to her. "AJ?"

AJ smiled through his slight case of nerves and said, "To you, Darlin'. I love you," before he clinked his glass with hers.

"Me?" She asked, confused but her heart swelled at his declaration of love.

AJ smiled and nodded. "I wanted a night out with you before things may get crazy next week. I wanted the chance to court you." He grinned at the old fashioned term.

Jules giggled softly and said, "Oh, AJ! You just wanted to be sure you were still my favorite Sailor."

AJ winked at her. When the waiter walked up AJ asked, "Darlin', did you want to order dessert?"

"What would you recommend to go with champagne, AJ?" Jules asked while chuckling.

The waiter recommended the fresh wild strawberries with a small bowl of cinnamon nutmeg honey and Jules agreed. When she set her glass down after a few sips she noticed the crystal butterfly bowl.

"AJ, the bowl is empty." Jules pondered aloud.

"No it's not, Darlin'."

"Well I know the flowers are still in it, but the water's gone." Jules caught AJ's look, it seemed like expectancy. Was he waiting for something? "And no one else has a bowl like this. All the other tables have vases."

"The bowl is my gift to you, Darlin'." AJ smiled into her eyes.

"The flowers too, AJ?" Jules grinned and reached into the bowl blindly for a fragile lily. She wanted to hold the velvety bloom in her fingers. The tips of her fingers brushed against a cool surface in the bowl. Jules knew it wasn't the bottom of the bowl; it had a textured feel where the bottom of the bowl would be smooth.

AJ watched her turn her head slowly toward the bowl.

Jules carefully brushed aside the lily blooms and found a crystal jewelry box. "AJ, what's this?" Jules asked.

"It's for you, Darlin'." AJ husked as he watched her closely.

Jules felt tears well in her eyes. He was such a sweetly romantic man, so loving. She kissed him on the lips, barely breathing, "It's beautiful." She turned it and admired the lovely clear crystal from all sides before opening it. She found a beautiful white lily nestled carefully inside.

When she touched the cool bloom with her fingers, Jules noticed something glinting from within the petals of the flower. She carefully peeled back the inner layer of the lily and found a beautiful set of rings, a plain gold band, and a gold rope necklace twined carefully inside the flower.

With a few tears escaping and flowing in tiny rivulets down her cheeks, Jules looked up at AJ and whispered, hoarsely, "AJ?"

He could see the confusion and the hope in her eyes. He knew he'd done the right thing by making this a surprise and not giving her a hint of his intentions. AJ took the jewelry box from her; he carefully removed the engagement ring and placed the crystal box on the table near his elbow.

Jules started crying in earnest and covered her mouth with her fingertips as she watched AJ.

"Jules, these last few weeks with you... They've been so wonderful. My heart feels full now that you're in my life, I feel complete. I don't ever want you out of it; I want you with me, near me, always." AJ reached for her left hand and quietly slipped the ring on her finger, keeping her hand in his much larger one.

"When you told me you loved me, that first time, you gave me your heart. To keep. Just as I did the when I told you I loved you. Now, I want to give you this heart, it's mine and I want you to wear it always, so you'll always have it. You'll always have my heart and my love." AJ wiped her tears away with his thumbs and kissed her sweetly on the lips. He pulled back and in a whisper, asked, "Will you always wear my heart Jules, will you marry me?"

Through her tears and a throat constricted with emotion Jules managed to whisper, "Yes," in a confident though wobbly voice.

AJ smiled and let out a deep breath. He was so happy he didn't dare take his eyes off her, thinking she might disappear if he did.

"What..." She sniffled and tried again, "What are the other pieces, AJ?"

Reverently AJ removed the band that he would place on her finger during the wedding ceremony and showed it to her, delighted with her happy smile. He next showed her a plain gold band, saying, "When you have to do field work, you can wear this band. It's 10 K and very sturdy. Just a simple band to wear when you can't wear your wedding rings. The necklace is for the wedding rings." AJ explained. "Put the rings on the chain and wear it on your mission with your dog tags. If you can't wear them on the necklace you can leave them home."

Jules smiled and asked, "What if I wanted you to wear the necklace while I'm gone?"

AJ grinned and said, "I would hold on to them for you, Darlin'."

Jules took the chain and threaded the gold band and the wedding band on to it before reaching up and fastening it around AJ's neck. "Hold on to them until I need them."

Feeling the emotion well in his chest AJ blinked back the moisture in his eyes and nodded curtly. He took her in his arms and buried his face in her neck, holding her tightly. "I love you so much, Jules."

"I love you too, AJ."

They held each other until the waiter discreetly returned with their dessert. They spent the rest of the evening feeding each other strawberries, sipping champagne and dancing slowly in each other's arms.


Saturday, 12 July 03
0130 EDT
Chegwidden Residence
McLean, VA

AJ left their bed carefully, trying not to awaken Jules. When they'd arrived home they'd been so intent on making love that neither had taken the time to lock up the house for the night. AJ donned a pair of sweat pants and quietly padded into the living room. He let Ginger out one last time while he checked all the doors and windows. Just as he was letting her back inside Francesca used her key to the front door.

"You're in late, Daughter." AJ grinned at the paternal comment.

Francesca giggled, "Yes, Papa. We had fun. Just the ladies this evening, no men. How did tonight go?" Jules bounced on the balls of her feet and clapped her hands like an excited kid.

"It went well." AJ prevaricated, joshing his daughter as he walked away.

"Papa!" Jules wailed theatrically and fairly sulked after him. She cornered him in the hall to the bedrooms and demanded, "Tell me!"

AJ leaned down and with a huge grin he whispered in his daughter's ear, "She said yes."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.