Between The Heartbeats - Cover

Between The Heartbeats

Copyright© 2006 by Megan Kingsley

Chapter 5B

Friday, 4 July 03
1530 EDT
Chegwidden Residence
McLean, VA

"Who was on the phone, Papa?" Francesca asked as she donned her shoes, they weren't leaving for the party for at least another half hour, but she wanted to be ready on time rather than late. She looked at her handsome Papa, dressed in pressed tan khakis and a chocolate brown shirt that showed off his whisky colored eyes.

"That was Harm." AJ walked back into the living room and replaced the receiver onto the base.

"Harm? Do you have to go to work, too Papa?"

"No, Darlin'. Harm just asked if we could pick him up and take him to the party. Mac is already there helping Harriet, so we'll swing by his place on the way and Mac will take him home." AJ grabbed his keys as Francesca retrieved her purse.

"Why does he need us to pick him up?" Francesca asked as AJ set the alarm, she looked forward to seeing the handsome pilot again.

AJ helped his daughter, clad in a peasant skirt in a beautiful deep wine and a gauzy white blouse, climb into the Escalade. "He lent his SUV to a neighbor to take her daughter to the doctor and she hasn't come back yet."

"So he will ride with us and I can find out if he is seeing some one now." Francesca grinned at AJ when his eyes whipped to hers.

"What is it about Rabb?" AJ asked. He didn't know if Harm would respond to Francesca if only yesterday he was panting after Jules. "Do all women drool over him?"

Giggling, Francesca said, "Not all women, Papa. Some women. The women who like his type."

"And what is his type?"

"Tall, handsome, a sense of humor, he is smart to be a lawyer..." Francesca thought better of mentioning his physical attributes to her father; she would likely get a lecture from him.

"That's what has women flocking to him?" AJ mused aloud.

"No, I think it is more his charm and his smile. Possibly his arrogance too, he is sure of himself."

"He is that." AJ muttered.

They drove the rest of the way in silence, each pondering their separate thoughts. AJ was thinking about his daughter and Rabb. He hoped she wasn't seriously interested in him. Francesca was thinking about her Papa and Jules. She was hoping that he was serious about her, she liked Jules.

AJ pulled up to the curb outside Harm's building and was putting the car in park to go get the junior officer when Harm popped out of his building wearing navy chinos and a gray polo shirt.

He slid into the back seat of the Escalade and said, "Thank you, Sir, for picking me up. I appreciate it." He gazed at Francesca and said, "Nice to see you again Miss Paretti. I didn't know you were in town."

"I arrived last night for a visit." Francesca smiled at Harm teasingly.

"Maybe we'll have to get together for dinner one night." Harm grinned, "When I get my car back that is."

AJ set off for the Robert's and listened to his daughter and Harm flirt lightly for the entire trip. They discussed many things from Harm's flying to Francesca's designing career. Harm made a comment about her lingerie line that nearly made AJ wreck the truck. Did women really fall for lines like that, AJ wondered.


Friday, 4 July 03
1630 EDT
Roberts Residence
Seven Corners, VA

When they pulled up to the Roberts home the front drive was full of cars and you could hear the sound of music and laughter from the back of the house.

"Looks like the party got started early." AJ mused as he alighted from the car, intent on helping his daughter down.

"So it appears, Sir." Harm was about to step from the SUV when he noticed a beautiful wrap on the floorboard behind the driver's seat. He picked it up and asked, "Francesca, do you want to take your wrap with you now or leave it?"

With her eyebrows knit in confusion, Francesca looked at a wrap from her line of accessories in merlot. "Harm, that's one of my designs but it's not mine. It doesn't even match what I'm wearing." Francesca giggled, "It must belong to Papa's girlfriend."

"Sir?" Harm wasn't aware that the Admiral was seeing someone.

"Jules must have left it when we went to the Regatta a few weeks ago. I didn't even realize it was still in there." AJ took the wrap from Harm and placed it in the Escalade on Francesca's seat before locking the truck.

Jules? Harm thought. The Admiral was dating a woman named Jules? It sounded like a name for a cocktail waitress or maybe a secretary, not the Admiral's style at all.

Just then AJ's cell phone rang. AJ paced away to answer it in relative privacy.

"Papa, maybe it's Jules. Maybe she's on her way." Francesca bounced excitedly.

Harm watched her; she really seemed to like this new girlfriend of her father's.

"Chegwidden."

"Honey? It's me."

"Jules? Where are you Darlin'?" AJ grinned hopefully.

"I'm waiting for the Helo right now, AJ. I should be back at the Pentagon soon and in Seven Corners in about an hour from now, I hope."

"You don't have to debrief?" AJ asked.

"No, I'll tell you more later, the op is still active."

"Alright, Darlin', be careful and I'll see you soon." AJ listened to her affirmative and said, "I love you."

"I love you too, AJ. Don't have too much fun without me."

AJ heard her giggle and then the line went dead. He grinned.

Francesca said, "It looks like Jules will make it after all."

"How can you tell?" Harm asked.

"That silly grin on his face." Francesca gestured to her Papa a few feet away. He was grinning as if he were a boy on Christmas Day. She watched as he walked back to them.

"Jules should be here in an hour." AJ said as he escorted his daughter to the front door with Rabb tagging along behind them.

The trio walked up to the front door and read the note that said to come around back. They made their way to the back yard and saw nearly everyone from JAG milling about talking in small circles, dancing to music or playing with little AJ.

"Admiral." Harriet was the first to spot them. "Miss Paretti, it's so good to see you again." She gushed and then hugged her.

"And you too, Harriett, but you must call me Francesca, yes?" Francesca turned to hug Mac and said, "Good to see you too, Sarah."

Reintroductions were made for Francesca since there had been some personnel changes since the last time she'd been to a party with the JAG Ops.

"So, Flyboy, you got a ride with the Admiral." Mac teased.

"Megan and her daughter didn't come back with the car and I didn't want to be late, so I called the Admiral." Harm smiled.

"You never did say what happened yesterday." Mac probed. She was curious what had happened with Harm and Colonel Merriweather. Did Harm strike out or did his famous charm win her over?

AJ and Francesca were talking with little AJ near his swing set when Harm explained, "She didn't even respond, Mac. It was like I was talking to a wall or something."

"Nothing, huh?" Mac asked, not surprised. She'd had a feeling she wouldn't be interested.

"Not even a glimmer of hope, Mac." Harm fairly sulked.

"Cheer up, Flyboy. Maybe Francesca will go out with you. A mercy date, you know?" Mac grinned and took off for the kitchen to help Harriet.

For the next hour AJ glanced at his watch every few minutes as Francesca watched him while she talked to Sarah and Harriet. Finally the two women's curiosity got the better of them and they dragged Francesca off to the kitchen.

"What's going on with your father, Francesca?" Harriet asked.

Mac said, "Yeah, why does he keep looking at his watch every five minutes?"

Francesca giggled, "He is waiting for his girlfriend. She was supposed to come with us but was called away to work at the last minute. She called Papa just as we arrived to say she would be here in an hour. She should be here soon."

Stunned Harriet said, "The Admiral is seeing someone?" She looked at Mac but she looked just as clueless.

"When did this happen?" Mac asked.

"A few weeks ago from what they said." Francesca sipped from her iced tea while they sat in the kitchen gossiping.

"What they said?" Harriet noticed the slip. "You've met her?"

Francesca grinned slyly and said, "Yes, I met her last night when Papa picked me up at the airport. She is very nice. I like her." Francesca leaned in and confided with a girlish giggle, "Don't tell anyone, but she is staying with him. I do not think they are living together, but I think she sleeps over a lot."

With her eyebrows nearly at her hairline, Harriet said, "Really? Did you know about this Colonel?"

"Uh uh," Mac shook her head.

"You know how private Papa is." Francesca mentioned.

Harriet's head popped up when she heard what sounded like a car door slam. "Hurry, let's get to her out front before she goes around back."

The women raced to the front door and threw it open revealing a retreating form wearing a white sleeveless dress and flat sandals. Her red hair was held in a French roll with just a wooden hair stick. She turned at the sound of the door opening.

"Colonel?" Mac and Harriet gasped as Francesca exclaimed, "Jules, you made it!"

"Colonel, Lieutenant." Jules greeted them rather stiffly. She relaxed a little when Francesca came forward and escorted her into the house and through to the kitchen.

"Papa will be so happy to see you." Francesca enthused.

"He's been checking his watch every few minutes for the last twenty-six minutes." Mac supplied.

"Yes, and he's been antsy ever since they all arrived." Harriet remarked with a curious grin.

"When did this all happen?" Mac asked. Now she knew why the Colonel shot Harm down yesterday. Grinning Mac thought to herself, wait until Harm sees this.

"All this?" Jules asked.

"Sarah's just being nosy, Jules. She wants to know when you and Papa started dating." Francesca supplied helpfully.

Jules didn't want to answer for AJ but said, "A few weeks. Maybe I should go find him."

Harriet asked, "Ma'am would you like something to drink first? Iced tea, lemonade. We have beer and wine coolers too."

"Iced tea would be great, Lieutenant. Thanks."

"Please, call me Harriet, Ma'am." She said as she prepared the iced tea.

Jules nodded, "You can call me JC if you're comfortable with it, you too, Mac. If you'll excuse me, I think I'll go find AJ, put him out of his misery."

Mac grinned and waited for the early fireworks. Mac and Harriet followed as Francesca led Jules outside to find the Admiral.

When they stepped into the back yard Bud looked up and called to Harriet. She ambled over to her husband. "Honey, who's that with the Admiral's daughter?"

Harriet wrapped her arm around her husband who was in charge of the grill and explained, "That, Bud, is the Admiral's girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" Bud gaped. "Wasn't she at JAG one day helping the Colonel with a case?"

"Yep." Harriet agreed. "Maybe later Mac and I can get the story out of Francesca." For now they both sat back to watch as she approached he Admiral.

Francesca and Jules approached AJ; he was talking to Harm about an interpretation of a bit of law in one of his active cases.

Francesca touched her father on the arm and said, "Papa, look who I found," before casually stepping back to the sidelines to watch the reunion.

Mac watched her CO turn around and with a huge grin splitting his face exclaimed, "Jules!" He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her to him. Mac saw the Admiral's eyes twinkling with a question. She wasn't sure what it was, but she saw JC nod slightly and then the Admiral leaned down and kissed her possessively on the lips.

The Admiral kissed his girlfriend! Mac was dumbfounded. He never did that unless he thought no one was watching. But here he did it in front of everyone. Surely the Admiral knew that all eyes were on them.

AJ wanted to make it perfectly clear to Harm that Jules was taken. Perhaps it was petty of him, and admittedly it was possessive, but he had no intentions of letting Jules go any time soon.

"Everything ok, Darlin'?" AJ asked, taking a sip from her tea.

"Fine, AJ. I'm still on stand by but I'm not going anywhere." Jules assured him. She turned to Rabb. "Commander. Nice to see you again." She said smoothly. She was glad AJ was next to her; at least she needn't worry about Harm trying to repeat yesterday's conversation.

"Colonel." Harm responded in a voice so cold it nearly froze the humidity in the air. "If you'll excuse me, I think I'll go speak with Francesca."

AJ noticed the sudden drop in Rabb's demeanor and wondered about it. Did this have to do with yesterday's meeting, he wondered.

"So," AJ floundered. "What can you tell me about this mission you're working on? You're on standby but what do you mean you're not going anywhere?"

Jules let him lead her to a bench under an oak tree. As they sat together Jules noticed everyone watching them surreptitiously. "This is a mission Crash could handle, but he needed some last minute training. Nothing serious." Jules winked and said, "News at eleven."

AJ chuckled and knew that when the op was over Jules would tell him if she wanted to. Just then little AJ was pulling Harm over to them demanding to be introduced to the pretty lady.

Harm made the introductions, saying, "AJ this is Colonel JC Merriweather, Colonel, Bud and Harriet's oldest, AJ."

Jules said, "Nice to meet you AJ, are you named after this AJ?" She laid her hand on AJ's knee.

"Uh huh. He's my uncle." Little AJ confided, "He delivered me in his office on the floor. Mama couldn't wait until she got to the hospabal."

Giggling Jules said, "Really? Wow."

"Are you Uncle AJ's girlfriend?" Little AJ asked.

Jules saw AJ blush lightly and Rabb's mouth tighten. She declared emphatically, "Yes, I am."

"You're like Auntie Mac." Little AJ declared.

"A Marine?" Jules asked.

He shook his head and said, "Uh uh, a Colonel. Do I have to call you Colonel?"

Jules grinned as AJ said, "Nah, call her Jules, like I do."

"Ok. I gotta go, Mama's calling me. Bye Uncle AJ, bye Auntie Jules." With that he took off running like a shot to his mother.

"So, Auntie Jules, want to meet everyone?" AJ asked with a tiny smirk.

Jules nodded, "Don't let go of my hand though."

AJ and Jules made the rounds and she was introduced to everyone from PO Coates to a few of the judges that had attended. The whole time AJ kept a firm hold of Jules hand or an arm around her waist. Once, when he was talking to Captain Sebring, his hand strayed to her tush, but she didn't think anyone noticed.

Harm watched the Admiral's hand stray to the Colonel's six and felt his guts tighten. "Give it up, Flyboy, looks like the Admiral's hooked her."

"Looks like." Harm agreed as Mac walked over to Harriet at the food table. He wandered over to a bunch of large bushes near the back of the house and sat with his beer while watching Francesca and then the Colonel.

He saw the Colonel's cell phone rang and when she excused herself to deal with the call the Admiral walked up to him and sat.

They were deep in conversation several minutes later when Jules slipped up next to AJ, his arm came around her hips and she sat next to him on the bench. "Everything ok, Darlin'?" AJ asked after a break in the conversation.

"Yep." She wasn't about to tell AJ, with Harm present, what was going on in the Op, but everything was fine. She'd tell him the details later.

Little AJ came and dragged his uncle over to the grill behind them to help his Dad with the cooking. There were so many people at the cookout that AJ and Bud each worked an end of the massive grill piling up hot dogs, hamburgers and sausage.

"So, Colonel." Harm said after several minutes of stilted conversation.

"Yes, Commander?" Jules asked with butterflies in her stomach. She had hoped he would behave like an adult while they were at the party.

"You didn't tell me you were with the Admiral." Harm accused, embarrassed.

"You didn't ask, Commander." Jules replied with a small smile.

Both were unaware that AJ returned and was standing a few paces behind them, listening to their conversation. He had intended to offer Jules a refill on her tea, but instead he waited to see how this conversation would go.

"No, but you could have told me, to keep me from making a fool of myself." Harm said grumpily.

"You did that on your own, Commander, when you didn't pick up on the immediate dismissal. I didn't say anything in deference to AJ. At that time we hadn't talked about letting people in his office know about us and I wouldn't do anything to cause him to lose face or the respect of his people. You, Commander, simply didn't see the signs I was putting out there for you."

"You were very subtle." Harm muttered.

"Of course I was subtle. We were in the Pentagon. What did you want me to do, throw you a red light?" Jules teased.

"You still could have said something." Harm smiled ruefully.

"What would you have me say?" Jules asked.

"That you were seeing someone." Harm said, incredulous.

"First of all, Commander, I am involved with AJ, not just merely seeing him. It's not all that casual." She hoped. "Second of all, as I said a second ago, I hadn't talked to AJ about telling other people. And third, I outrank you and I'm younger than you."

"The Admiral is older than me!" He replied surprised at her statement.

"I'm not saying that you being older than me is a detriment in that way, Harm, merely that it would look strange, had I agreed to go out with you, that your date was younger but held a higher rank. You honestly can say that in a hypothetical relationship that fact wouldn't bother you?" Jules nudged him playfully in the ribs. "Please! And AJ's age isn't the issue, if I dated you, however, yours would be."

Harm's eyes whipped to her face. "What do you mean?" He asked.

"Face it Squid, you're too young and not seasoned enough for me."

"Young? So you like old guys?" Harm asked. "And the bald thing doesn't bother you?"

AJ grinned while he listened to his girlfriend and restrained himself from throttling Harm for his comments.

"That was a prime example of what I mean by not seasoned. Learn to lose gracefully Harm." Harm sighed but then nodded as he listened to her. "The bald thing as you call it is a hell of a lot sexier than that shaved mop you've got. What did you do? Stick your finger in a light socket?" Jules teased as she flicked a wild lock of hair on top of Harm's head.

"And I don't like old guys as you call them, I like a man to be mature and well seasoned. I want someone who isn't threatened by my job. Ever hear the quote, 'This is what you like about older men: They know when to keep their mouths shut, they don't brag and they know when to keep their mouths shut.' Think about it Commander." Jules patted Harm's knee and took off in search of Francesca. She would have to talk to AJ about this later; he had a right to know even though Harm hadn't made a big deal about it.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.