Game Trail - Cover

Game Trail

Copyright© 2023 by Zanski

Chapter 20

Thursday, July 9, 1891

The next morning, with both the family’s Manuela de Ortega and Malik’s own Chen Niao coupled to the end of the Acheson, Topeka & Santa Fe passenger train, Wayne DeWitt provided a more detailed report to Malik, who was abed in the guest cabin, aboard the Manuela de Ortega.

“I’d still been wrong, without the information Miss Peng obtained. They weren’t taking them south to Mexico, as I’d thought they’d done with those Red Angus bulls. They were taking them north, into the San Luis Valley, up in Colorado.”

Then, looking as if he would like to spit, DeWitt said, “It was that sonuvabitch Bohr, the one sold us the Dos Picos line, the bastard who tried to steal all that narrow gauge rolling stock. He got out of prison last year and he and his brother started a ranch, up there, south of Fort Garland, near Wild Horse Mesa. According to Miss Peng, I expect we’ll find the bulls up there, too.”

Malik asked, “So how did he steal the train?”

“The same way he stole the one at Dos Picos -- he had another hidden spur. I haven’t any idea how he managed that, to get control of that spur without anyone noticing it. Probably his brother managed to cut orders for that, too.

“The track, itself, was well hid. That man was a marvel at fooling the eye, I’ll give him that. It looked like the spur line had been torn out, with the track ending at curled-up rails and a stack of ties. But the actual rails were still intact and were covered in sand, up to the point they went beyond some brush, out of sight of the main line. From there, they went into a canyon and up into the mountains, to their old mine site. Hell, I heard he made a bundle from that mine, then lost it all on the Dos Picos venture.

“In any case, that’s where we found the stock cars, along with a locomotive and tender, about five miles up that canyon.

“But Miss Peng had caught up with us the first day we were out, Monday, and she went off on her own.”

He shook his head, then went on. “Their trail headed north, and we followed until nightfall. In the morning, it was still dark, and I was making coffee, when she came up on our camp, bringing some plucked prairie hens with her. She told us about the cattle and their ranch, and that she’d had to shoot the two of them in a gun battle.

“Then, at her suggestion, I headed back with her, and we sent some vaqueros to take over driving the cattle, so the officers could get back to their duties. We got back Monday evening, but your brother had altrady put you out again, according to rumor.”

Malik smiled. “Yeah, my brother. I should be able to milk that one for years.” Then he moved his eyes toward me. “The Bohr brothers, huh? Unbelievable,” Malik observed.

“They were slick ones, for sure,” DeWitt conceded.

“But how did he counterfeit our train orders?”

“Oh, I thought someone might have mentioned it. Miss Peng told us the brother, Arnold, did that. He’d used an alias and got hired on as a telegrapher at our Chama terminal a couple years ago. He’d worked as a dispatcher for a short line, before, so he was familiar with procedures.”

Beatrice stepped into the open doorway. “Emil, I think that’s enough. Your color isn’t good. Wayne, let me through there, please.”

DeWitt, who had risen when Beatrice first came in, walked around to the foot of the bed so that Beatrice could pass him, in the narrow confines of the coach’s cabin. She immediately placed her hand on Malik’s forehead.

“You’re feverish, Emil.” She lifted the water carafe. “And you’re not drinking enough water.” She poured some into a heavy glass and handed it to him. “Doctor Rivera was insistent. Drink this down. Then, please finish your business, and drink down another glass before you close your eyes. The health of your whole body is at stake. Wayne, please fill that glass for him and be on your way.”

DeWitt was bunking in the Chen Niao, the usual arrangement for Malik and his colleagues, when traveling on business, and in the absence of his family. The Manuela de Ortega, which Malik had personally commissioned from the Pullman Company, was arranged similarly to the Lincoln Falls Loop, the main differences being a smaller parlor, and the addition of a nursery, a children’s play room, and a larger master cabin with an outsize bed, suitable for sleeping several adults. Malik was currently in the somewhat-smaller guest cabin, where he could rest undisturbed by bedmates who might inadvertently jostle his arm.

After Beatrice exited the room, Malik finished off the glass of water. “She’s right. I am feeling a little worse than when we left Santa Fe.”

De Witt stepped to the head of the bed in the walkway space, which only provided access along the foot and one side of the bed. He refilled the glass which Malik had held out to him.

Malik asked, “So, how did you find that fake spur?”

“I had us spread out in a line abreast, looking for any sign of the cattle or other irregularities, at thirty yard intervals from the track. Sergeant Cortes spotted the spur for what it really was.”

“Well, nice work. Yan’s, uh, ‘help’ wasn’t any sort of a problem?”

“The problem would have been if we’d tried to stop her. She’s about the fiercest-looking person, man or woman, I’ve ever laid eyes on. She handled the Bohr brothers on her own, saved us a lot of riding.”

Malik had finished the second glass and DeWitt refilled it, then said, “Good enough, Patron. Get some rest. I plan on a long nap, myself.”

“Rest well, Wayne. Thanks for saving my life.”

(Thursday, July 9. 1891)


Friday, July 10, 1891

Doctor Theodore Edelman, a short, dapper man of fifty-one years, was examining the stump wound of Malik’s left arm in the ample light from a window, which was otherwise draped with translucent fabric for privacy. It was late Friday afternoon. Beatrice and Malik had come directly from Santa Fe. Now Malik and Edelman were in his examination room. Each sat on a swiveling stool.

“Yes, yes,” Edelman murmured, as he used a magnifying glass to examine the stitches and the wound closure. “Your Doctor Rivera does nice work.” He looked at Malik. “The records you brought, if accurate, suggests that he provided more than adequate cushioning tissue for an appliance, and my examination seems to bear that out.” Edelman glanced at the stump again, then back to Malik. “Of course, this skin will have to be toughened, if you plan to use something like a hook. The tissue here is not accustomed to bearing weight and being rubbed and abraded.” Again, he examined the stump, lightly passing his fingers over some areas. “Even then, we must wait several weeks, for the swelling to go down and the extra fluids to pass from the insulted tissue.”

Edelman began to wrap the stump with gauze. “But this is a very good start, for something that begins so tragically. I understand you were shot while in pursuit of criminals?”

Malik nodded. “Charging ahead like the Seventh Cavalry, with a similar ignominious end.”

“Well, not quite as severe as that of Colonel Custer.”

“Granted. You mentioned a hook, Doctor. Are they really that useful?”

Edelman considered him for a moment, then said, “As compared to a real hand, no. As compared to a wooden hand or just a stump, a hook can be quite useful, once you learn how to manage it.”

He went on. “But your colleague, Mister Castillo, has sent me some information about a device that has been developed by a German designer, who works in London, a man by the name of Gustav Ernst. I have heard of him before. He seems to be primarily a designer of medical instruments. However, for our concerns, he has developed a prosthetic device that can operate a clasping mechanism. That mechanism could be fashioned as a two-pronged hook, where the hook itself can open into two parts, like a set of tongs, or something similar. Besides that advantage, the device can mount other appendages, such as the artificial hand I have mentioned, though not one that can clasp. However, the devices can be changed without having to remove or put on a separate apparatus. That, alone, is a considerable advantage.”

“Doctor, I am not familiar with the word, ah, prosfetic?”

“Ach, sorry. Pros-thet-ic. It simply means an artificial limb or other replacement body part, such as might be made to cover a missing nose or ear.”

“Is it cumbersome?”

Edelman paused and scratched his short chin beard. Then he shrugged. “Again, it would depend on what you compared it to. I notice you wear a firearm in a shoulder holster. It is probably more cumbersome than that, but not as ungainly as carrying a rucksack full of stones on your back. In truth, though, I have only read a description. I have not even seen drawings of the device.” Then he added, “That reminds me. Are you aware that it is a violation of Kansas City ordinance to carry a firearm, Mister Malik?”

“I’m a United States Marshal, Doctor. Not necessarily a skilled marshal,” he said, displaying the re-bandaged stump, “but I am sworn to the US Constitution.”

“Ach,” Edelman exclaimed. “A lawyer marshal who runs a railroad. Do you also pursue a hobby, such as exploring for the source of the Nile or seeking the North Pole? To counter the boredom, I mean.”

Malik chuckled, then shook his head and grinned ruefully. “You’d be surprised, Doctor, you’d be surprised. I know I am often surprised. But tell me, please, when can I obtain such a device as you’ve described?”

Edelman responded with a wistful smile. “I am certain it will not happen soon enough for you, Mister Malik.

“As I said, first, your stump must fully heal. Then we must obtain one of these devices. In fact, your Mister Castillo has discovered someone in Chicago who represents Mister Ernst in this part of America. It is likely that some parts of the device will have to be custom-designed for you, specifically, which will take additional time. The fitting of those special parts is the fundamental reason for waiting until your recovery is complete and the tissue returned to normal. Then, once the appliance has been fitted and adjusted, you must learn to use it. That will require concentration and much practice. Learning such skills as an adult can be very frustrating. Beginning right now and even for the next year or eighteen months, you must begin to practice patience.”

Malik said, “I’m not a doctor, I don’t have any patients.”

Edelman looked startled. “Pardon me?”

“My poor attempt at humor, Doctor. My brother attends to my patience lessons, and right now, he has one more hand than I do, so his lessons can be painful.”

“Your brother strikes you?”

“Oh, once every twenty years or so. I can be a handful when I get down in the dumps.”

“Down in the dumps?” Edelman shook his head at his lack of comprehension.

“Feeling sorry for myself.”

“Ach, yes, a difficult emotion to overcome, without loving support.”

“Well, I’ve got that, in spades.”

“Then, In spite of this misfortune, you are a very fortunate man, Mister Malik.”

Malik was quiet for a moment, then he nodded. “That is the truth, Doctor, but one I sometimes forget.”

“We are only human, Mister Malik.” Edelman sighed. “Perhaps now would be a good time for your wife to rejoin us.”

“Of course.”

Edelman rose and went to the door, which he opened, and spoke to Beatrice, who followed him back into the office. Malik rose and held the back of the chair she had occupied earlier, before Edelman began his examination.

Edelman addressed her. “With one exception, things are as well as or better than might be expected, at this stage. The exception is the fever.”

Turning again to Malik, he said, “I note that you have been dealing with the fever since early yesterday, is that not so?”

“Yes. I’ve been feeling poorly since we started our journey from Santa Fe. Beatrice says I have had a fever.”

Beatrice added, “It wasn’t until after we were underway that I noticed he was looking unwell.”

“So you had no symptoms of this fever before you left Santa Fe?”

“That’s right.”

Looking at his noted, Edelman said, “So far, your temperature is only a bit above normal.”

Edelman looked from one to the other, as he spoke. “It would be expected that an infection would follow an injury such as you sustained, Mister Malik, particularly an injury to bones, which are especially susceptible. The surgery site, itself, appears healthy, and, from that, I might assume that Doctor Rivera has practiced good antisepsis.

“Tell me, please, when did you use the laudanum, what days, I mean?”

“I reckon last Monday and Tuesday. I had one more dose today, after we arrived here.” Beatrice was nodding.

“And the salicylate? Which days?”

“I had some on Tuesday, but my head and hand still hurt, so I had the laudanum, again, on Tuesday, as I mentioned. I’ve used the salicylate daily since then, but today, I also had laudanum.”

“But you began to feel worse and ran a fever only beginning yesterday?”

“That’s correct.”

“How is your stomach tolerating the salicylate?”

“Well enough, I suppose. I’ve found that, if I take it after a meal, it bothers me hardly at all.”

“Very well.” He turned on his swivel chair to a cabinet and withdrew a small, brown bottle, which he set on the corner of the desk.

“This salicylic acid is what is commonly referred to as salicylate. It is the same chemical as is found in willow bark and other herbal remedies. However, it is manufactured from raw chemicals and is highly concentrated. Use this pipette,” from a desk drawer, he drew a short, glass tube with a rubber bulb on one end, “to add ten drops of the salicylic acid to a glass of water, then slowly drink it down, over ten or fifteen minutes.

“Take no more than four doses each day, with at least four hours between those doses. As you have established, you should take it after having eaten something substantial, something more than just a cookie or cracker. There are directions printed on the label. If the irritation to your stomach becomes worse, stop using the salicylic acid and get in touch with me. If the fever or the pain gets worse, also contact me.”

Now he looked sternly at Malik. “It is imperative that you drink plenty of water to help combat the infection. I want you to drink a gallon and a half daily, dispersed throughout the day, of course, not all at once. The water should be boiled for five minutes. Naturally, it may be allowed to cool, but should only be kept in clean pitchers or carafes that have themselves been rinsed with boiling water.”

He looked from one to the other, again. “Do you have any questions?”

Beatrice asked, “Did you talk about an artificial limb?”

“We did. I am certain Mister Malik can provide those details. As it happens, your Mister Castillo appears to have made a pursuit of such appliances, so at the moment, he may be a better source than I.”

“Raul?” Beatrice said, looking bewildered.

Malik rested his hand on hers and said, “I’ll tell you about it over dinner.”

“Anything else?”

“Not if Emil promises to tell me everything.” Malik gently squeezed her hand.

Fixing a cloth sling over Malik’s neck and shoulder, Edelman said, “Very well then. Barring any of the complications I have described, I will see you at this time on Friday next. I will likely remove the stitches, at that time. Until then, keep the wound covered in clean gauze and keep it dry.”

(Friday, July 10, 1891)


Saturday, July 11, 1891

After his appointment with Edelman, Malik elected to spend the interim week, before his next appointment, in Wichita. They would be able to travel by Santa Fe passenger coach to Kansas City for the appointment, and return to Wichita that same evening, if they wanted to, though it would represent nearly ten hours on trains. With Malik’s health in mind, she suggested using Manuela de Ortega, as they had for the first visit.

However, by Saturday morning, It was obvious to the women -- Beatrice, Peng, and Wren -- that his fever had intensified.

Despite his efforts at drinking more water and following the salicylate regimen, he continued to worsen. By Tuesday afternoon, he was in bed, alternating between periods of sweaty delirium and of teeth-chattering chills. Beatrice telephoned Dr. Hiram Matthews, the K&ASR’s clinical director and chief company physician. He examined Malik and then wired Dr. Edelman. Edelman advised Matthews to pay attention to the stump and report any redness or complaints of increased pain. Such symptoms would indicate that the bone was infected. Matthews said there were no such symptoms. Edelman suggested that Matthews could consult with Dr. Cyrus Peters, a Wichita bone specialist.

Peters visited the Malik home -- Chen Ming-teh’s former residence -- on Thursday. He concluded that there was no evidence of infection at the amputation site, nor at any other site which might be attributed to bone infection. While he was there, he removed the stitches from the wound repair.

Edelman and Peters exchanged wires. Then Peters returned to the Malik house, where he sat down at Malik’s bedside, along with Dr. Matthews, Beatrice, and Peng. Wren observed from the doorway, while keeping an eye on the children.

Malik was listless, but appeared to follow the discussion.

Peters said, “It is not the fever, itself, that concerns us. A fever can be treated with cool baths or the application of wet towels. But Mister Malik’s fever is only one hundred two degrees, which is not life threatening.

“Our real concern is the infection causing the fever. Is it associated with bone marrow infection or is it a blood-borne infection as a result of the more generalized trauma? Or is there a remaining injury in the cranium that has become infected. After our examinations, neither the arm nor the cranium seem to be indicated, but we simply can’t be certain. Unfortunately, -- the infection could become more generalized and invade those sites.

“Doctor Edelman has informed me of a medication that is being experimented with in Germany which has proven to be effective against infections. It is called...,” he pulled a telegram from his waistcoat pocket and looked at it, “ ... pyocyanase.” He looked up at the others, who were giving him their full attention. “There are two problems with it, however. First, it is not one hundred percent effective, meaning it doesn’t always work on every person, nor every time for everyone. And it can be poisonous in too large a dose. The problem is, the effective dose and a toxic dose are separated by only a few drops. Quite frankly, I doubt that it is even available in America, but it might be.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.