We Flew Into Hell and Back - Cover

We Flew Into Hell and Back

Copyright© 2021 by Mustang

Chapter 9

“After the ceremony, Lieutenant Commander Sanchez assembled all the pilots who’d been on the Hornet. He said once the Enterprise arrives in New Caledonia, some of us will stay on her while others will be sent to other carriers.”

“A while later, he escorted me to an office that Captain Mason was using. I was introduced to Lieutenant Commander Flatley, Commanding Officer of VF-10 on the Enterprise. I stood at proper attention and saluted Captain Mason. He returned my salute while still seated, then stood and offered me his hand.”

“‘Congratulations, Son, you have done your duty to Uncle Sam and are being sent home.’”

“Sir?” I questioned, with a puzzled expression.”

“Lieutenant Martin, you have met most every criteria for a return trip home to civy street. You are now a confirmed ace pilot and have flown, by our best calculations, close to two hundred combat hours and between forty-five and fifty missions.You have been wounded in combat, receiving the Purple Heart twice and being awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross twice.’”

“Sir, I don’t want to go home.”

“You likely have no choice.”

“I joined the Navy to become a pilot before Pearl Harbor and the war starting for the States, and I had planned on making it my career. With all due respect, Sir, if I’m sent home, I’ll just re-enlist.”

“‘Edward, give us a moment,’ Lieutenant Commander Sanchez said, asking me to leave the office. I stood in the hallway with others, whom I suspected were about to be told the same thing.”

“‘What’s up, Eddie?’ One asked.”

“I’m being sent home, but I don’t want to go.”

“Have you gone crazy in the head, man? You can’t fight the war all by yourself!’”

“I know that.”

“‘Some have gone home only to return and be killed.’”

“I know, and I’m willing to take that risk.”


“About twenty minutes later, I was called back into the Captain’s office.”

“‘You really did an inverted flat spin in your Wildcat?’ Lieutenant Commander Flatley asked me.”

“I had to do something to distract the Japanese pilot, otherwise my wingman was going to be shot down.”

“‘Lieutenant Martin, you’ve won yourself a reprieve,’ Captain Mason began. ‘There is a newly created fighter squadron back in the States, and you’re being loaned to them to help instruct their new pilots. You’ll become a member of VMF 124.’”

“I know what the VF stands for, Navy Fighter Plane, what does the M mean?”

“Marines, you’re being loaned to the Marines for as long as they need you.’”

“‘The Marines?!’ I quietly exclaimed.”

“‘Look at it like this, Lieutenant, at least you’ll be on dry land and won’t have another carrier sink from underneath you,’ Captain Mason reasoned.”

“‘How many carriers have you been on?’ Lieutenant Commander Flatley asked me.”

“Four: the Lexington, Yorktown, Wasp, and Hornet. The Hornet was the first sinking where I was able to land my Wildcat on another carrier; on the others, I had to abandon ship.”

“‘You’ve survived the sinking of four carriers?’ Lieutenant Commander Flatley couldn’t believe it.”

“A few have thought that I’m a curse to a carrier.”

“We had better get you off the Enterprise right now, or you’re likely to cause her to sink while tied up dockside,’ Lieutenant Commander Flatley lightly joked. ‘My apologies; that comment was in poor taste. I think you’re probably the only pilot I’ve heard of to survive the sinking of four carriers.’”

“And I don’t want a fifth to happen to me either. Maybe having land under my wheels is what I need after all.”

“You’ll make your way to the States, where you’re granted two weeks special leave, then report to Major William Gise, Commander of VMF 124 at Camp Kearney, San Diego, California.”

“‘And to entice you even more,’ Lieutenant Commander Sanchez began. ‘VMF 124 will be flying a new fighter, the Vought F4U Corsair.’”


“Why don’t we take a short break?” David suggested. “Edward, I want you to know that we cross-referenced flight crew records on the Lexington, Yorktown, Wasp, and Hornet against your name and others. We believe that you are indeed the only pilot to have survived the sinking of four aircraft carriers during World War 2.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.