We Flew Into Hell and Back - Cover

We Flew Into Hell and Back

Copyright© 2021 by Mustang

Chapter 8

“During the third week of October, we were joined by the carrier Enterprise, and along with our escort ships, headed for the New Hebrides Islands to intercept the Japanese fleet, in what is known as the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands. They were determined to retake Henderson Field on Guadalcanal from the Marines and put forth an all-out assault.”

“On the morning of the 26th, our scout planes spotted the main enemy fleet, and two Dauntlesses were able to score a direct hit on one carrier. Three waves of planes were launched from the Hornet and Enterprise to join in the attack. The incoming Japanese planes were spotted on radar, and I was one of a large group of Wildcats on CAP duty sent to intercept them. The Enterprise was a distance away and hidden from sight by clouds and rain squalls.”

“There was some sort of communications mix-up because most of the enemy planes got past us, but I was able to shoot down one of their dive bombers. Unable to find the Enterprise, the Hornet bore the brunt of the Japanese attack.”

“It was pure mayhem up there with us attacking the Japanese dive and torpedo bombers while the sky filled with bursting anti-aircraft flak. Several times I saw the white phosphorous color of tracer rounds whiz past my canopy.”

“High up there, you couldn’t tell if the Hornet was hit until we saw the clouds of black smoke coming from her. I’d say within about five minutes, three bombs hit her directly, and then I witnessed a damaged Japanese bomber, which was on fire, fly directly into the Hornet’s main island.”

“We had to turn our attention to the torpedo bombers attacking her from both sides. With so many planes in the air, it was difficult to do the Thach Weave, fearing a collision with one of our own or the enemy.”

“I figured I had maybe thirty to fifty rounds left in my guns, and taking precise aim, I managed to down a second torpedo bomber. There were just too many of them, and two torpedoes hit the Hornet, and a third bomber crashed against the bow on the port side. She was severely wounded and drifted to a stop.”


“The damage to the Hornet’s main deck meant we couldn’t land or take off from her and had to rely on the Enterprise for help. I radioed the Enterprise, asking if they could rearm and refuel several of our planes. They said to make it quick because they had their own planes returning from morning missions.”

“The Enterprise was at battle stations when several of us were able to land on her. Safety had to take a back seat to the action we were facing. I was told not to shut off my Wildcat’s engine while the fuel tank was topped off. The ground crew lifted the flaps on my wings and, in ten minutes, rearmed me with cartridge belts. We were back in the air as I saw several planes about to land on her.”

“As I circled around doing CAP duties, I could see plane after plane landing on the Enterprise, then we were alerted to a second wave of enemy bombers approaching. I flew over the Hornet, and she was nothing but a humongous cloud of black smoke and flames.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.