We Flew Into Hell and Back - Cover

We Flew Into Hell and Back

Copyright© 2021 by Mustang

Chapter 7

“The Commanding Officer of the Hornet, Captain Mason, knew the importance that his carrier was the only one left in the south pacific and put the word out to the other ships to get any surviving pilots to her. About two hours later, I was stepping onto the flight deck of the Hornet, VC-8, to be a member of VF 72 with Lieutenant Commander Sanchez in command.”

“The pilots on the Hornet did what they could to accommodate us who were on the Wasp. Any space bacame a sleeping area for the additional crew. Extra bedding and clothes were provided, and I collapsed onto a thin mattress, totally exhausted. I slept for several hours, then took a tour of my new home. I met the same two guys from the Wasp, who knew I’d also been on the Lexington and Yorktown. I expected them to chastise me for being a curse, but instead, having experienced their carrier sinking, they actually felt compassion for me.”

“The Hornet was very impressive, longer and wider than the Wasp, but not as large as the Lexington, and she had two flight deck catapults and a hanger one no longer used.”

“Captain Mason assembled all the pilots and remaining crew from the Wasp and had everyone’s name and particulars recorded. He said that telegrams would be sent to all family members to let them know they had survived the sinking of the Wasp. Next, he talked to the whole crew. He said, with us being the only carrier in the south Pacific, we were tasked with providing air support to the Marines over the Solomon Islands.”

“The next day, with all hands on deck, a solemn ceremony was conducted. The Hornet had not escaped the battle unscathed and performed a burial at sea for her dead. We assembled on the lower deck, where seven sailors dressed in their A1s stood in line with rifles in hand.”

“The ship’s Chaplain performed the service for the seventeen bodies, each sewn into a beige canvas bag. A five-pound shell was tied between their legs to add weight so they’d be sure to sink. Seventeen times I stood to attention, in a borrowed khaki work uniform, and saluted as the poor souls, covered in the flag, were slid from a metal table into the ocean. Each one received a three-volley round of gunfire to honor their passing. Their bodies floated in the wake of the carrier, mixing with the froth from the stern, then sank to join their comrades.”

“Repairs to the ship and planes continued as we headed towards the Soloman Islands. I and other pilots from the Wasp helped conduct CAP duties.”

Edward cleared his throat, taking a moment to compose himself.


“A few days later, everyone not on duty was ordered topside and stood in formation where Captain Mason addressed the crew. He read the nominal roll of crewmen who’d recently died in action during the Battle of Midway or by accidental cause and were awarded posthumously various medals of bravery.”

“Members of the present crew were also awarded medals. Then, the next announcement stunned me. ‘Ensign Edward Martin, front and center,’ the Captain said. I looked at the one standing beside me and shrugged my shoulders, wondering why I was being singled out. Now that I think about it, Linda, it was your grandpa, James Carmichael, standing beside me.”

“I marched smartly and halted in front of Captain Mason, giving him a proper salute that was returned to me.”

“Captain Mason began to read out loud, ‘On 6 June 1942, Ensign Martin, a pilot aboard the carrier USS Yorktown, did distinguish himself in the face of the enemy. Despite the personal risk to himself and his plane, he flew directly into a barrage of anti-aircraft flak to attack a Japanese torpedo bomber heading towards his carrier. Through his perseverance and skill, he was able to shoot down the bomber before it could release its torpedo.”

“Despite suffering a leg wound caused by the exploding bomber, Ensign Martin was able to land his plane safely on the Yorktown. The Yorktown was subsequently torpedoed, causing her severe damage. Risking his life, he blocked a broken pipe venting hot steam with a tarp, burning his hands and face, so that two others could save the lives of two injured sailors. By the order of the Secretary of the Navy, Ensign Martin is hereby awarded the Navy Cross, the Distinguished Flying Cross, and the Purple Heart with clasp.’”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.