We Flew Into Hell and Back - Cover

We Flew Into Hell and Back

Copyright© 2021 by Mustang

Chapter 5

“The fleet made its way back to Pearl Harbour, arriving on the 27th of May. On the way there, the rescue ships accounted for the surviving men from the Lexington. I knew my parents would hear that the Lexington was sunk and be worried about me. I was able to send them a telegram saying that I was okay. Repairs to the Yorktown that should have taken weeks were mostly completed in forty-eight hours. Myself and a few other pilots from the Saratoga were transferred to the Yorktown, with the remainder going to other carriers.”

“The Yorktown gained the same call sign for our squadron, VF 3, and Lieutenant Commander Thach was again my commanding officer.”

“US Naval Intelligence had discovered that the Japanese were about to mount an offensive to try and take back Midway Island. We sailed towards Midway on May 30th to meet up with the Enterprise and Hornet.”

“What was life like aboard the Yorktown while you waited for the next battle?” David asked.

“During this time, the Yorktown was supplied with a newer version of the Wildcat, F3 to F4. The F4 had the advantage of folding wings that allowed more planes to be parked on the decks or stored below. The drawback was that the F4 had two more guns, six instead of four, and actually fired fewer rounds than the F3. We also complained that the climbing rate of the F4 was less than the F3.”

“We had more flying officers than serviceable planes, so most were shared with the pilots, except for the squadron leader’s plane. I’ve always been fascinated with planes and spent considerable time with the flight crews. I witnessed them take a Wildcat fuselage from the ceiling, where dozens were stored, attach the prop, wings, tail assembly, and landing gear, and have it ready to fly in five hours.”

“I always took a personal interest in helping the ground crew maintain or repair any of the Wildcats that I flew. I’d help with oil changes, greasing joints, or rearming the Browning machine guns. I caught hell a few times with a wrench in my hand helping to work on a plane.”

“There was never any total rest for the crew. Mechanics had planes to service or repair, and deck crews made sure planes were tethered in place to the deck. Sometimes the rocking motion of the waves would make some planes bounce on their rubber tires. The odd time, one was lost, bouncing and falling over the side.”

“There was little to do in the way of activities on a carrier, so we had to make our own entertainment. Anyone who had a deck of cards was popular, and anyone who could play a harmonica or a guitar had a captive audience. I remember one fella, who was a member of the Boston Pops Orchestra, would play his violin for us. It didn’t matter what kind of instrument it was; if it made music, we listened.”

“For the enlisted men, there were always chores to do, keeping the deck clean and in good repair because it was made of wood. Most officers were discouraged from helping, but that didn’t stop many of us. The non-coms quarters were very cramped, with bunk beds stacked four high. Junior officers usually shared a stateroom for two or three.”

“Anyone who had a newspaper was very popular, and some would charge a nickel to read it. You relished any news from home, the first question asked after learning a new guy’s name was, ‘Where are you from?’ You drew close to anyone from your home state, mine being Florida, and you treated him as if he were your brother. Even better was if you found someone from your own home town or city, mine being here in Tampa.”

“Pictures from home were eagerly shared, no matter whose family it was.” Edward paused for a moment and said, “I guess I’m getting off topic.”

“No, no, that’s quite alright. You’re giving us, and the viewers a mind’s eye view of Navy life during the war,” David defended.

Edward took a sip of his drink and continued.


“As we drew closer to Midway, our CAP duties increased, flying from dawn until dusk. On June 6th, the first attacks on the Japanese fleet resulted in heavy losses of planes for us, but dive bombers from Yorktown and Enterprise destroyed three of the four enemy carriers.”

“Our Dauntlesses were sent up to do CAP duties. Once the incoming Japanese planes were spotted on the Yorktown’s radar, we were sent up in our Wildcats to intercept them. Their Val dive bombers were escorted by their Zeros, and breaking formation, we engaged them.”

“Planes were flying in every direction, and you really had to keep your wits about you, or you’d smack right into one. Lieutenant Commander Thach had devised an ingenious tactic, called the ‘Thach Weave,’ to take on the more manoeuvrable Zeros. I was paired with Ensign John Anderson, and we’d fly, criss crossing to each other. I was the bait plane, and with a zero about to fill my plane full of lead, John attacked from the Japanese’s port beam.”

Edward simulated the actions with his hands or by using a model of the Corsair.

“‘Get him, John, before he gets me!’ I yelled at him. John let go a well-timed burst, and the Zero’s engine burst into flames and went down.”

“We didn’t have time to enjoy our victory as I spotted a zero and began my chase, while Thach and Butch were taking on their own zeros. My guy was banking hard left and right, up and down, trying to avoid my fire. It felt like I was riding a roller coaster trying to keep him in my sights. I noticed he seemed to bank left twice and right once. Next, he’d bank right twice and left once.”

“I anticipated his next move and led him with a short run of fifty cal. The rounds ripped right along the left fuselage from engine to tail, and she caught fire. The Zero turned over in a death spiral, leaving a trail of black smoke from behind, and fell towards the water.”

“I pulled up and banked hard left to find a Zero on one of our Wildcats. I glanced down to see the Zero I’d hit splash into the ocean; it was my first confirmed kill. I let go several bursts that damaged the second Zero, and it broke off the fight.”

“One of their Kates, a torpedo bomber, had made it through our defences and was heading just above the water’s surface towards the Yorktown. Lieutenant Commander Thach alerted me to the bomber, and I gave chase. I had to be leery of my altitude and distance from the Yorktown because the sky was filled with the black clouds of exploding anti-aircraft shells all around me, called flak.”

“He gradually descended to just above the water, preparing to drop his torpedo. I opened fire on this one, and after hitting it, it continued towards the Yorktown. I could feel the buffeting effects of flak exploding around me, sure that I was going to be hit. Then I let go another burst, and there was an enormous explosion. The bomber had likely suffered a direct hit from flak, or possibly my gunshots. Lieutenant Commander Thach credited me with the kill. The force of the explosion caused fragments of the plane to hit the Yorktown; that’s how close he got to her.”

“I flew through the cloud of smoke, fire, and metal debris and then felt a searing pain in my right leg, just below the knee. Though the Wildcats are well protected, a piece of the Japanese plane penetrated the cockpit and into my leg.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.