We Flew Into Hell and Back - Cover

We Flew Into Hell and Back

Copyright© 2021 by Mustang

Chapter 18

“On the 25th, we and fifteen Avengers bombed and destroyed an engine factory in Tokyo. We lost 2nd Lieutenant Carlson, who had to make a forced landing and, as I later heard, was captured and survived POW camp.”

“The weather turned bad, and the Essex was withdrawn to the Okinawa and Iwo Jima areas to support the ground Marines until the end of the month.”

“March 1st started with us hitting targets on Naha Airfield on Okinawa. Cloudy conditions made it difficult to see and hit our intended targets. We attacked first, against heavy anti-aircraft action, to bomb and strafe several planes on the ramp, then in protected pens. The Hellcats followed with their 500 and 1,000-pound bombs. The Avengers followed them, bombing the runway and buildings.”

“I’ve got to give those Hellcat and Avenger pilots credit for putting their planes into such deep dives to deliver their ammo on target, whether it’s planes and buildings on land or ships at sea. Several of their missions over Tokyo, Imo Jima, and Okinawa were to drop propaganda leaflets.”

“We made several more sweeps, hitting aircraft in protective pens and taking out anti-aircraft installations. We lost a Hellcat pilot and an Avenger crew of two. The 124th and 213th completed the mission with no losses.”

“The next day, the Essex was directed to Ulithi Lagoon for replenishing and doing target practise along the way. We were told on the 5th that Air Group Four had conducted its last mission; we were going home!”

“That must have been a great relief for you after taking part in so many missions,” David remarked.

“It sure was; I figured I’d cheated death enough times and looked forward to going home. Of course we were happy to be going stateside, but my first and only concern was what was going to be done with Helen. I questioned Lieutenant Colonel Millington about what was to happen to her. He jokingly told me I couldn’t keep her as a war souvenir, though I gladly would have. He knew I’d be asking him about her and had already completed the paperwork to keep Helen with the 124th. Her new home would be Marine Air Station Miramar in San Diego, to honor the Squadron and those pilots in any squadron who didn’t make it home. Her wing guns were emptied of rounds, and the remaining rockets and bombs were removed. The large external fuel tank remained attached to her.”

“We’d be leaving about the 11th and anxiously awaiting our shipping orders when we reach Pearl. The 124th and 213th posed for one last bunch of photos on the Essex, using Helen as our Corsair mascot.”

“All Air Group Four personnel were transferred to the carrier, Long Island, for the convoy trip to Pearl Harbor. Damaged planes of various types were loaded onto her for more detailed repairs. I got permission to fly Helen onto the Long Island. As I sat in the cockpit to leave the Essex for the last time, the words of Lieutenant Colonel Klinsmann came back to me: ‘‘Edward, we’ll keep the Essex afloat just for you.’”


“We thought being safely tucked away in the lagoon away from the war would give us time to relax, but the Japs had other ideas. Every ship had on their normal operation lights, making them easy targets for unexpected visitors, namely two kamikaze pilots.”

“One hit the carrier Randolph, mistakenly thinking he’d hit the second carrier named Yorktown. The attack killed twenty-five.”

“Several days before leaving, Air Group Four held one last memorial service, naming all those killed, captured, or missing in action. Many names I was familiar with from the 213th, sharing conversation, aerial tactics, having a meal, or a drink. Then a number of us were recognized for different accomplishments.”

“‘Lieutenant Martin, front and center!’” Lieutenant Colonel Millington announced it to us, standing in formation.”

“I came to attention, marched smartly, stopped in front of him, and saluted.”

“‘On 17 February, 1945, Lieutenant Martin did distinguish himself in the theatre of war. At his direction, though innovative and highly dangerous, he assisted in saving the life of another pilot while still in the air. He instructed the pilot to fly sideways to minimize the loss of fuel from a punctured fuel tank. 1st Lieutenant John Spencer flew his Corsair, trying to reach 20,000 feet.’”

“‘1st Lieutenant John Spencer’s Corsair, now empty of fuel, was instructed to fly inverted so that Lieutenant Martin and another pilot, Captain Bob Kersey, could carry the crippled Corsair on their wings to a higher altitude. Though the Corsair’s engine had stopped, 1st Lieutenant Spencer was able to make a successful dead-stick landing on the Essex. For his extraordinary achievement while participating in an aerial flight, Lieutenant Martin is, by order of the Secretary of the Navy, hereby awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.’”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.