Klutz - Cover

Klutz

Copyright© 2011 by MisguidedChild

Chapter 8

Susan only stumbled once going out of the courthouse and she would have gone down if Bill hadn't caught her elbow to keep her on her feet. Susan was amazed. He didn't even note the action as something important. He just didn't let her fall while continuing to ask questions about the town. It was kind of like when he helped her into the truck the day before. It wasn't a macho thing or a big deal. It was just something a person does for another person. She thought his wife or girl friend was very lucky. He had to have one or the other. Guys that looked as good as Bill did and was as nice as he was didn't run lose very long.

"Thanks Bill for saying all that to Brain and Sandra," Susan said after they got into the truck. "You really didn't have to say that and I don't expect anyone to lie to stick up for me." Susan paused for a long moment then quietly said, "I am pretty used to their ribbing and it isn't like they weren't telling the truth."

Bill looked at her in surprise before looking back at the road. "Ah, I don't know what kind of a guy you think I am Susan but I wouldn't tell a lie for you. I don't think I would for anyone," he said seriously. His brow was furrowed as he continued. "In my business my word carries more weight than a contract because many of the old timers that I work with understand a hand shake better than a whole sheaf of legal mumbo jumbo. My word includes not lying." He looked over at her again as the furrows eased and he got a quizzical look. "When did you think I lied for you?"

Susan was staring at him with her mouth open throughout his explanation. She snapped it shut and explained, "Well, when you said I already saved you thousands it was a lie. I think I cost you money because the papers had to be redone."

Bill chuckled and shook his head. "It wasn't a lie. First of all, if I had made it into the courthouse yesterday with my papers I would still be running back and forth getting the I's dotted and T's crossed a week from now. It didn't take that long to redo the paperwork with your help and it was all done this morning." Bill laughed to himself and said, "Time is money Susan and you have saved me over a week. Judging from listening to you and Ruth talking I figure you will be able to save even more. No. I didn't lie. If anything I understated your value. You have already significantly changed the margin on this project."

Bill went on to explain to Susan that margin was only profit at the end of a project. Margin at the beginning of a project was only the margin of error available before he had to start paying the customer to do the job. He hadn't paid a customer to do a job yet so he wasn't real worried about that. He did explain in detail how much time Susan had saved him and time was money in his business. The project was priced as if everything and everyone was coming from Phoenix. Any man power or equipment that could be procured locally would only increase the margin and Susan had already helped with that and Bill was certain she would contribute more as the project progressed.

Bill and Susan had a very busy day after leaving the courthouse. Project plans had to be updated. Local hiring resources were identified and contacted. Equipment leasing companies were contacted and sent a list of what Bill was sure they would need to see how much he could get locally and the cost.

They were working in Bill's 5th wheel rolling office. Susan had put a note on her front door to let her daughters know where she was. Mandy showed up a little after 2 and, after watching them for a minute, pitched in to help. She started setting up files so her Mom and Bill had someplace to put all the paper they were generating. Beth arrived about 45 minutes later and helped her sister set up files.

It was almost five when Bill threw up his hands and proclaimed, "We are done for today." He hadn't been doing anything for about 10 minutes. He had just watched Susan and her daughters chatting, laughing and working together. He was amazed as he looked around his little office/ kitchen/ living room. Normally during the first few days of a job startup this area was a wreck. Under normal circumstances there would be paper on every flat surface and food wrappers on the floor. By this time he would normally be looking for a bottle of aspirin for the headache that he considered standard for any project startup. He didn't feel tired or bad. He felt good but there wasn't a lot more they could do until businesses opened the next day.

He may need to do some minor modifications on the files but for all practical purposes they were done. That was normally a week two or three task on a project. The filing was normally done when it was taking longer to find papers that it would to do the filing. The area was neat and clean. Papers had been filed as they were filled out. They had already received responses back from the equipment suppliers after a quick call from Susan. She knew the owners. The first laborers they would need were heavy equipment operators and they had already received lists of available people with certifications. Appointments had already been set for interviews the following morning. Susan didn't know all the names but she knew most of them and annotated them with notes to help him in the interview.

Susan glanced at Bill then at the clock and said, "I thought construction workers worked as long as it was daylight."

Mandy and Beth just looked up waiting for his response.

"Once we start moving dirt we do," Bill confirmed with a grin. "At this stage of the project it is usually longer. We just work until we can't think. Then we sleep for a while then get up to do some more." He looked around the room and shaking his head in wonder said, "You three have me so far ahead of schedule I don't know how to handle it. The only thing I know to do is take you all out to dinner." He looked at Susan and quickly said, "Unless you already have plans. I don't mean to presume or anything."

Susan grinned and looked at Mandy when she said, "Mandy, would you check my calendar to see if our schedule is free for tonight."

Mandy stuck her nose in the air and looked down her nose at one of the few pieces of unfiled paper on the table. In a horribly mangled Boston accent Mandy said, "The only thing on your schedule Mrs. Pierce is the Rockefellers at 8:00. Would you like me to cancel that ma'am?"

Susan tried the Boston accent and mangled it even more when she said," Please do and tell them we don't need to reschedule."

Beth nearly rolled out of her chair laughing at her mother and sister.

Bill smiled at the ease the three displayed together. "Please apologize for me to the Rockefellers for usurping their time." Bill said. "I hope none of you are vegetarians because I would like a steak. Any ideas of a good steak place to eat?"

All three of the females started talking at the same time. "Boots & Saddles," "Fergusons," "Paddy's Place." They all stopped and looked at each other. Mandy and Beth had an abashed look. Susan looked a little bemused and just looked at her daughters for a moment before turning toward Bill.

"Bill, there's something you need to understand. We haven't gone out much in the last few years and when we did it was pretty low budget," Susan said with a shrug. She wasn't apologizing for her daughters. She was simply explaining their excitement. Then she grinned and said, "We aren't vegetarians and there are several good steak places around. You need to decide if you want fancy, touristy, or just good steaks."

Bill grinned back and said, "Let's go for good steaks. I don't care for touristy. I had a job in college at one of the Wild West tourist places down in Phoenix and got my fill of touristy. I learned a long time ago that fancy certainly doesn't equate to good food."

"Paddy's Place," the females yelled in unison.

Bill threw back his head and laughed.

"Come one girls. We need to change," Susan said rising. Looking at the slacks and dress shirt that Bill still wore from the morning trek to the courthouse she continued. "You look OK but Paddy's is really a jeans place if you want to change. It's mostly local folks and local owned. Give us 15 minutes and we'll be back over here. There's no need to drive around to pick us up."

Bill rolled his eyes as he tried to imitate the girls and in mock frustration grudgingly said, "OK. I'll change if I have too."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.