Happy Valentine's Day

by Dual Writer

Copyright© 2010 by Dual Writer

Fiction Story: A family celebrates Valentine's Day. Young Steve, Big sis Susan, and big brother Henry is even mentioned. This is how families in the sixties celebrated. Join them for some smiles and treats.

Tags: Ma/Fa  

The little boy was working intently while sitting on the floor. He was concentrating so hard that his tongue was stuck out the side of his mouth. He had some red construction paper that was cut into shapes close to what could be considered hearts. He held up a heart in one hand, with the blunt plastic scissors in the other, and smiled at his accomplishment.

Next he took a sheet of red construction paper and folded it in half then folded it again. Holding the folded paper, he opened it and closed it smiling to himself. He then picked up a crayon and drew as good a heart as he could, filling the entire fourth of the folded paper. Inside the heart, the boy used another color crayon and carefully printed "Mom" in the center of the heart. He opened what now resembled a card and printed carefully, "Happy Valintine Day."

He stared at the words for a long time, then shrugged his shoulders and below the words, he printed, "Steve." He picked up one of the cutout hearts and slid it into the now closed homemade card.

Still concentrating, he folded another piece of red construction paper and again used a crayon to draw a large heart. In the middle of the heart he used a different color crayon to print, "Suz." You could see his happiness as he giggled at the nickname he used for his sister.

He opened the card and wrote "Happy Valintine Day" again. He kept thinking that Valintine didn't look right but it was already written, twice, so it would have to do. He picked up another cutout heart and slid it in the homemade card and patted it as if to say, "Done."

Very carefully the little boy began writing on the other cutout hearts. In small letters, he used the crayons to write, "Be Mine," "My Valintine," and the other words that were found on that sweet candy that is shaped like hearts and is so good. Thinking he was being very smart, he took pieces of the candy, used some glue from his sticky bottle, and glued a piece of candy to each of the paper hearts.

When he was done, the little boy nodded to himself and said, "That's enough for the neighbor girls."

He picked up all of the clippings and put them into the wastebasket. Next, he put his scissors, glue, and crayons into the cigar box he kept them in. He looked around and decided he was done and took the box and newly made cards to his room.

He didn't see his mother smiling as she observed her son carrying his treasures back to his room.

On the kitchen table, an older girl was writing in some store bought cards. She said to her mother, "I wish I could get something for Henry, but he's so far away we couldn't get it to him. I'm glad we mailed him a card. Stevie used that crayon to write his name on it so large that there almost wasn't room to say hi.

The mother said, "Steve just enjoys knowing he's sending his big brother something. Do you know he keeps one of Henry's books from last semester on his nightstand? He says he's trying to read it so he can go to college too. Steve actually sits in his chair and tries to sound out the words."

The girl said, "Mom, he's not even five, he can't read."

The mother said, "Susan, I've helped him sound out words since before he was two and he can easily read the children books for first graders. He has even read to me from "Life" magazine. He gets the Sears catalogue out and reads about the tools that he would like to have. He is way ahead at reading."

Susie rolled her eyes, but kept on filling out the cards she was addressing to her close friends. She said, "Thank you for getting me these cards. I can give them out at school tomorrow."

The mother continued to make the cake she had been working on. She took the two large rectangular sheet cakes, ladled vanilla icing on top of one, then placed the other cake on top. She very carefully cut one end into a rounded point. She carefully cut the other end with two rounded mounds that she thought resembled breasts, but made the cake now look like a heart. After arranging the cake on a serving plate, she spread icing over the whole cake.

She brought out a jar of those little candy red hots in the shape of hearts, turned to her daughter, and asked, "Want to help decorate the cake?"

Susie jumped up and stood at the counter where the cake was. She popped a candy into her mouth and said, "I'll bet Stevie would like to help. Can I call him?"

"He's going to make a mess," the mother cautioned.

"Aw, Mom, he'll love to help."

"Go get him. I saw him go upstairs."

Susie went to the bottom of the stairway and yelled, "Stevie, come down and help decorate the cake. We're putting little red hots on it." Susie turned away and headed back to the kitchen.

The sound of running feet was heard, then their clatter coming down the stairs. The mother held her breath until the little boy came running into the kitchen, smiling. He pulled one of the wooden chairs from the table and put it by the counter and stood on it next to his sister. While he looked at the heart-shaped cake with big wide eyes, his sister popped a candy into his mouth. His grin told her he liked the treat.

The mother said, "First let's put a couple of rows of the hearts all around the edge. That will make the heart look real good."

The little boy pushed the candies into the icing a little too hard, but he was trying to be careful. He was concentrating so hard that his tongue was stuck out the side of his mouth again. Susie was putting a candy in her mouth, then putting one into Steve's mouth, about every other one she handled.

When that was done, the mother said, "Okay, we should put something in the middle. What should we put there?"

Steve said, "How about a big cherry."

"We could do that, but we could use the candy to make a word or words. What could we write? It can't be big, but it should be something nice." The three suggested a lot of phrases but they were too long.

Steve was deep in thought and said to his sister and mother, "Can we just write "Love." That's what Valentine's Day is all about, isn't it?"

The mother looked at the little boy, with a little water around the edges of her eyes, and said, "Yes, Steve, that's what it's all about."

Susie hugged the little boy and said, "Good idea, Steve, do you know how to spell it?"

"That's easy, Suz, it's just L O V E."

Susie smiled and said, "You're right. I guess you do know your words pretty good."

The mother poured some red hots out onto a saucer and said, "Let's make the letters fit just right. When that's done, we'll get some cherries."

Soon the cake had a red hot LOVE printed across it.

The mother had a small bowl with some warm soft chocolate. She picked up a cherry by the stem, dipped it into the chocolate, then placed it on one side of the humps of the heart. She repeated the process and placed another on the other hump. She blushed a little as the humps now really looked like breasts with nipples. One more dipped cherry was placed on the bottom of the heart. She said, "All done. I'll put the cover over it so we can surprise your dad."

Susie said, "Today isn't Valentine's day. We have to save it for tomorrow."

Still standing on the chair, Steve said, "Dad has to be gone tomorrow and tomorrow night. We have to eat the cake tonight so he gets a Valentine."

The mother said, "I'm sure it will be a good idea to have the cake tonight. There'll still be some for tomorrow night."

While looking at the pieces of cut off cake, the bowl of icing, and the red hots, Steve asked, "Can I make some little cakes. I want to put icing on the pieces and put red hots on them. We'll have some small Valentine cakes."

Susie rolled her eyes while she was rinsing off her hands, but her mother said, "That's a good idea, Steve. Let me get another plate so you can put the pieces on it."

The mother gave Steve a plate and very carefully placed the pieces of cut off cake on the plate. The pieces were big enough that they stayed together in the two layer configuration that had been cut off. When he had them arranged, he used the table knife his mother had used and gently put a very thick layer of icing on top and on the sides. There almost wasn't enough to go around, but Steve was able to cover the two fairly big pieces and three smaller pieces. The knife was now completely covered with icing, as were Steve's fingers and hands.

Steve set the knife down and looked at his fingers. He couldn't decide what to do with his icing covered hands. His mother said, "Lick them off, it'll taste good." She picked up the knife and licked the knife clean, enjoying the sweet icing.

When Steve was done, he looked over at the table and said, "Suz, come get some icing on your fingers so you can lick them off."

Susie looked up and said, "Mom won't like that."

The mother said, "Oh, come on, the icing is all but gone. Come get some and lick it up."

While Susie was licking some icing from her fingers, Steve began to line the edges of his little cakes with red hots. When he was done, he pointed at the cherries and asked, "Can you put some chocolate cherries on these cakes too?"

With a smile, the mother dipped cherries in the warm chocolate and placed them on the five pieces. When she was done, Steve was grinning. He pointed at the two big pieces of cake and said, "See, one for mom, one for dad, then pointing at the smaller pieces he said, "One for Susie, one for Henry, and one for me. These will be for tomorrow or whenever dad and Henry can have it."

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.