The Jays - Cover

The Jays

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 13

The Jays fell into bed at half-past eleven. James pulled Jenny to him and kissed her gently.

"I am so proud of you," he whispered as he gently stroked her back.

"Why for Heaven's sake? All I did was run Jean into Pitsbury and bring her back for a decent lunch."

"Rubbish!" said James unconsciously tightening his hold on her. "You did all that but you also gave her and Libby moral support and, my sweet, love. Not the sort of love we have but supportive, caring love with no strings attached."

Jenny snuggled even closer.

"Do you realise, darling, that we've only been here ten days?"

"Is that really all it is? I suppose you're right. Golly, it's been quite a ten days though, hasn't it?"

Jenny nodded her head against his chest and hummed in agreement.

"I hope we can do without the drama for a bit," she said. "Stroke my bum."

"I can't reach it. You'll have to come up for another kiss."

She wriggled up and then sighed with satisfaction.

"You have magic hands," she murmured.

"On the other hand," she went on, "we could still do with more trade. Ooh, yes!"

There was a pause while James kissed her long and warmly.

"Yes, of course we could but that's going to take time. You've got to be patient, my darling."

"I want you now. Stuff patience. Make love to me."

James did so, matching her impatience to start with but then slowing down to draw out her response at a higher level. It was as she came for the third time that he joined her.

Richard and Bill came for dinner on Friday night. Jenny and Gavin made a great fuss of them when they arrived. James was up to his eyes and merely stuck his head through the kitchen door to greet them and promise to come and talk to them later.

Richard was clearly delighted to see him and was making every effort to be himself but Bill could not but help sense the underlying misery. Richard had come to the pub with Rachel in Brendan's day and was pleased to see that the Jays had resurrected his standards. They both thoroughly enjoyed the food.

"I knew James was good from eating at the Queen's Arms but, now he's been given his head, he's really gone to town. This is delicious," Richard said. "So imaginative."

"Dead right," said Bill. "I don't think Jim ever held him back but he was reluctant to chance his arm."

"That's probably right."

Jenny pointed the Stevenses and the Joneses in their direction. Both couples were effusive in their praise for the way the Jays had picked the pub up. The Joneses told them about the Jays taking Jean and Libby on and how Jenny had driven them into Pitsbury for the trial. The Jays even got the credit for the Benevolent Fund.

"The way they're going," Margaret said, "this place is going to be a winner again. Already, in just a fortnight, the whole village has fallen for them. We're all working on our friends to bring people in from further afield."

"That's very good of you," said Bill.

"They deserve it," said Margaret forcefully.

Richard and Bill were on their coffee before James joined them and then not before he had circulated all the tables to have a quick chat with everyone. Richard and Bill had watched with approval.

"Hi, Dad. Hi, Bill," said James sitting down. "Good to see you both."

"And you, James," said Richard. "I'm sorry. I should have been over before but somehow didn't get round to it."

"That's all right, Dad."

"I'm impressed, James," said Bill. Richard nodded in agreement. "The place is attractive, immaculate and, golly, our food was good."

"Thanks, Bill," James smiled gratefully.

"And that guy you've got behind the bar is good: efficient, friendly and polite. Got any more staff?"

"Gavin. He's good. We're very lucky to have him. We didn't have to force our standards on him. I haven't been able to fault him yet. And yes, we've got Jean and Libby..."

"Yes, heard about them from Margaret Jones. They seem a nice couple."

"They are. If it hadn't been for them we'd never have known about Jean and Libby."

"You did well there, both of you," said Richard.

"Oh, I don't know, Dad."

"Yes, you did and I'm proud of you both."

"Jenny's a natural," said Bill. "I've been watching her. She's quick, efficient and friendly and your customers love her and her giggle."

James smiled and nodded. He was immensely proud of her.

Jenny joined them giving both men a kiss.

"Hey!" came a voice from the bar. "What do Oi 'ave to do to get that?"

"Become one of my in-laws," flashed back Jenny.

"Got a sister, 'as 'e?"

"No! Bad luck, Ned!"

There was a roar of appreciative laughter.

"How are you, Bill dear?"

"Fine, thanks, Jenny love, and all the better for seeing you. You two seem to be doing well. I like this place."

"So far so good, but it's early days. Some early days though! Have you heard all the dramas?"

"Haven't we?" said Richard, "and you've both emerged with flying colours, I reckon."

Bill nodded. "Are you making money?" he asked.

"Too early to say," said James.

"We're in the black at the moment," said Jenny, "but not by much and we've got the winter ahead of us which is not good for pubs except over Christmas and New Year."

Bill nodded. He enquired after their deal with Venture and nodded his approval at James's stance. "Good for you," he said, "and make sure you don't give in at the six month point."

"I don't intend to," said James. Jenny nodded vigorously.

"We hope by then that, even though we may not have made a profit, we will have proved to them that we're a worthwhile investment," she said.

They chatted for a few more minutes and then the Jays bid them farewell saying they had things to do.

"I'll be in tomorrow," said Bill.

"See you soon," promised Richard.

Bill came in at lunchtime on Saturday, poked around in the kitchen and the back and admired their flat. He walked the dogs with them in the afternoon. He told them how busy Sue was in Dubai and how much she was enjoying herself. All three pondered about Richard's unhappiness but came up with no new ideas. Bill left them at opening time. He did not know when he would next be visiting or whether he would be bringing Sue with him but he felt sure it would not be long.

They were into the flat season leading up to Christmas. Trade remained steady but overall they were running at a loss as the overheads increased. The shorter days meant more lighting. The cooler weather meant central heating plus logs for one of their main winter attractions, a big log fire.

They decided that a monthly themed evening might draw people in so in November they had an Italian night. They were booked solid and sold a lot of drink so that the discount on the food was well offset. The subsequent ones were also a success.

They targeted businesses in Pitsbury and the military establishments with advertisements for Christmas office parties. They got quite few but could have done with several more.

Local trade also blossomed over the Christmas and New Year period. They pulled in a large crowd for drinks only at lunchtime on Christmas Day, most people staying to watch the Queen's speech at three o'clock. Again, the offer of free champagne brought in large numbers for New Year's Eve.

They reviewed their accounts on 1st January. They were some £1,750 in the red and were filled with gloom, James in particular.

"I'm afraid the next three months are going to be even worse," he said. "Trade's unlikely to pick up this side of Easter. The warmer weather and the longer evenings will help then a bit too."

They planned more monthly theme nights and wondered about a monthly quiz as well. Jenny said she would sound people out. They also discussed advertisements with a 10% discount voucher but thought that would not be worthwhile until early March when people were considering coming out of hibernation.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.