Aggy-book 2 - Cover

Aggy-book 2

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

Chapter 3

After Slow was seated, McCock continued

"This news raises a critical decision which has to be made. Ma'am, your Navy must forsake any construction larger than a CA, and absolute priority must be given to Cruise missiles, missile carriers post Wamirant, KeyHACs, some UVAs and CVLs. For the latter we'll have to strip the bases to mount the necessary numbers; and I suggest that the BC construction be changed to make them into CVLs."

"Its strange you should raise that matter, Aggy," the Queen informed him, "the Navy Board made that decision yesterday morning. They have even gone, reluctantly, so far as to cease ship construction except for the carriers. Explain about the BCs."

"Pre diaspora, a wet Navy was building up before a war, things had been left too late. Some one did a paper review of the proposed fleet and found the CVs had been forgotten. Their solution was to transform several BC hulls then under construction into what were called 'thru deck' cruisers. Buships should be asked to look at this because of all our ships CVs are the most important."

The Queen opened her com and asked for and linked into a conference call to her First Lord and her First Space Lord. While she waited for the connection, McCock slipped in a quick comment,

"They should also consider a Fifth Space Lord for an aviation overseer on the Navy Board and I'd suggest Milligan." The Queen nodded.

"My Lords, I have received news that the Solarian Ambassador in Harbouria has informed the Harbourian Congress that Mountserrat is in breach of the seventh and eighth Geneva Conventions and he will be reporting that to the United Solarian Senate. The implications of this suggest that we might be in combat with their forces in as soon as six months according to my First Lord's previous assessment. Also, consider Milligan for Fifth Space Lord to cover operational aviation overseer."

"Elizabeth, would you care to take a holiday for a while, Tom's and my lives would be so much easier," the First Lord moaned, "I don't really mean that. Unfortunately you do have a lot of good ideas, too many and we have to deal with them. I have to ask — how reliable is the Harbourian news?"

"Absolutely reliable; its from our usual source. Tom?"

"Means we should go to flat out just in case Sol does join in because we won't know about it until their fleet arrives. Not quite — I think the first news will be our Ambassador will be rendered incommunicado, not lethally, but effectively. My fellow Lords are or should be at my door right about now to start on, ho ho, yesterday's decision. I had spoken with Milligan some week or so ago about his forming a commissariat for aviation; he thought it a good idea but didn't want the job — he wants to go back to space but suggested Rowan. Rowan lacks command time so I'd prefer Milligan and leave Rowan where he is; Milligan is sure to want him as a deputy but there is a good team in Third and this is not the time to break up that team. Majesty, may I use your command to persuade Milligan to do his duty?"

"Certainly. If he hesitates you have my permission to tell him it is my Royal Command given without knowledge of the prior discussions."

"Thank you, Ma'am," replied the First Space Lord and he was heard taking a deep breath, "and can I have McCock as Milligan's deputy?"

"Wait, please Tom" the Queen muted the com and looked at McCock.

"I would be the best choice for that position but I think this hyperspace work is more important ... I'd suggest promotion transfer of Peter Scott as the deputy and perhaps Carlton to Home Fleet's staff."

"Aggy, that is evil," the Queen unmated the com, " Tom, you can't have Aggy, I've got him on something else, but a joker here suggested Peter Scott as Deputy and Carlton to Home Fleet staff."

"Ma'am, I'll take Scotty in a heartbeat," said Sir Thomas "but Carlton ... you know that is not as silly as it sounds ... Scotty and he are a good team and Carlton has shown real aptitude, which has surprised a lot of people and not just me ... I'll take him; Milligan for Lord as Vice, Scotty for Deputy as Commodore and, wont Milligan just love this, Carlton for Assistant as Captain. Ma'am, would you ask your joker if he has a home for "Infamous"? She's old but what he doesn't know is that she got a BB battle 'puter at her refit; we have a surplus considering our fleet size and composition, and the "Queen's Own" could do with one."

"Tom, I'll take the offer on advisement. I'll have a reply tomorrow. Andrew?"

"Remind me never to upset you pair! Ma'am, I'll go with that. Tom speak with me after your conference, please. I'm done."

"Thank you, gentlemen." and she broke the link.

The Queen raised an eyebrow at McCock,

"Infamous?"

"I don't know, Ma'am. Off the top, I can't see a fit except that 'puter but to fully realise that we'd need a missile carrier. Let me think on it, please."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.