Aggy-book 2 - Cover

Aggy-book 2

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

Chapter 37

"Aggy" commed Slow, "Navy local have just informed me that the covering BC squadron has gone off to the southwest investigating reports of some marauding force taking out merchies. Gorgipest is uncovered and they request we send out our VWs as scouts. I didn't tell them they were tasked and out of the area."

"We could send out some UVAs but you have already thought of that, haven't you;" replied McCock, "you want to sortie in "Vector". What is the status of that third 'puter?"

"It's physically in the Sergeants' Mess Hall on "Vector"; Sir Henry, Polack and I were in the process of making the connections when I got the call. Probably another six maybe eight hours should see it connected. Meantime we have one fully dedicated to "Vector" so we can go in about two hours and complete connecting on patrol."

"Suits. Get as many HACs, UVAs and Keyhacs as you can while I see what missiles we can get, if any. Wait out."

"Sally where is Hugh and "Offspring?" McCock spoke into his intercom.

"Both are at Fergusons getting the MCs sorted out" came Sally's response.

"Get him for me please, on PDA; and warn Evan we are sortieing on "Vector" stat and to get me organized."

"Evan already has you organized in the Admiral's Quarters. I'll raise Hugh for you stat."

"Thanks Sally. Clear. Slow, send something to pick me up at "Trader" No5. I'm in process of raising Hugh who is at Fergusons working on the MCs. Suit?"

"I'll send one of the incoming HACs; that will be easier than using "Shriek"."

"Suits. McCock clear."

"Hello, Evan, you heard?" as that worthy entered the Captain's Office.

"Yes, boss; there is already a set of Sally's, your and my gear in the Admiral's Quarters. Sally insisted her stores be included when I put your stuff there. Pushy bit; but I somehow didn't think you'd mind seeing your past history."

"Actually, I'd rather she be as far away as I could get her if I had my druthers but there is no way I'd win that argument. No, Evan, well done. Hello, Hugh" into his beeping PDA, "can we have any missiles? We are sortieing in "Vector" in about two hours."

The HAC attached and the hatch was heard cycling. McCock waved Evan out and they proceeded to the waiting vessel as McCock continued the conversation. Sally was already aboard.

"I can have cruise nests for you to tractor as "Vector" passes by, but that's your lot, I'm afraid. The MC from Settlement are just departing there with full load and two additional barge loads. R1 reports safe arrival at Scapa and R2 is enroute with the extra bodies. So, it will be at least two days before I can get one of the MCs for you with any sort of load and I know you'll take a partial load.

Bye the bye, Sir Joshua has just got off the com telling me he has located a job lot of freighter 'Atomics' power plant. A yard bought them on 'spec' but not enough shipowners wanted so called untried technology. You are such a stuffy lot, Aggy. All we have to do is collect them. I'll get which ever of the Riders completes first with some shuttles to pick them up. Angie reports that Navy have coughed up for the last contracts so we are flush again when Sir Joshua transfers the funds to GMBH."

By this time, the passengers were in the HAC enroute to "Vector".

"My goodness, that's a bundle of news. All good for a change. Thank you, Hugh. McCock clear."

"I had all that for you here" Sally offered rather defensively.

"I'd have been surprised if you hadn't," reassured her boss, "but it's good to have all people informed."

He turned to the HAC Captain,

"Commodore McCock" introducing himself. "I'll have a small bet you are wondering what you did wrong to get this duty?"

"P.O .2 Albert Avers, Sir, and that would be a sucker bet so I'll pass."

PO Avers quickly introduced his crew and then readied himself for approach to "Vector"

""Vector" HAC zero one zero four, for full stop, with information Quebec."

"Zero one zero four, turn right to zero four zero stern wards to join circuit, you are number three, call turning final."

"Zero four zero, call final, zero four."

The HAC passed down the port side beyond the stern to a point in space,

"Helm come left ninety degrees and decrease to twenty gravities."

With its momentum, the HAC described a semicircle through space.

"Turnover, three hundred gravities for ten seconds."

The HAC spun end over end and the power came up decelerating her relative to "Vector". When PO Avers was satisfied, he ordered,

"Helm, turnover, fly the lights. Ten gravs. Check harness everyone."

"Zero four, final"

Zero four, you are clear to land."

"Helm, stop main engines, reverse thrust through the barrier and then stop."

McCock could see shadowy movement through the permeable barrier ahead which seemed to grip the HAC as it passed through. Tractor beams moved the HAC to its parking bay, hatches joined and then cycled.

"Thank you, Mr Avers. A pleasure to fly with you." McCock passed through the hatch to be greeted by the Deck Officer who pointed them to the bulkhead hatch. They made their way to the bridge to greet Slow,

"An interesting way to join," smiled McCock, "how are things?"

"We were just waiting for you to join. Peter, take us out to Fergusons, please. Now, Aggy, we have fifty Gnats; ninety seven HACs which Felix and Algy are organizing now; all twenty seven ninetys; the fourteen Keyhacs with the small fission piles and seventy odd UVAs. We will continue taking on HACs as we move to Fergusons.

We've got a scratch crew but Hugh assures me that the Settlement MCs are due in about four hours and I can have my crew back about the time I've got the 'cruises' tractored. Peter fortunately has experience in an RMN BB tractoring missile barges for which I am truly grateful as I have no experience tractoring at all."

"Nothing to it, Ma'am" laughed Slow's XO, "all you have to remember is to lock the tractor before you move off, otherwise it does get interestin' with the nests swishing about. The really important thing is to have experienced spacers manning the tractor control and they'll make you look good every time."

"Now, why does that sound familiar" smirked Sally.

"Off my bridge you lot. Begone to the Admiral's bridge and stop poking fun at us officers" Slow waved them off and McCock duly went.

Polack greeted them,

"Sir Henry chased me off; said he could finish quicker without my ham hands in the way."

Evan had to explain the laughs that caused.

A familiar voice broke in,

"Will the Commodore be wanting refreshments?"

"Trojan, I am not going to ask how you got here" laughed McCock, "I am just going to luxuriate in the pleasure. A light lunch, for all, please. Polack, go and snarl at Sir Henry and tell him he is to come and have lunch."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.