Behind Enemy Lines - Cover

Behind Enemy Lines

Copyright© 2008 by deGaffer

Chapter 5: The Return Trip

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 5: The Return Trip - Before being assigned to the drudgery of volunteer extraction duty, the intrepid Sergeant Budzinski and his platoon of Confederacy Marines take a break from the stress of combat on Tulak and set out to discover what lies underground on a dead Sa'arm world.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Group Sex   Oral Sex   Anal Sex  

Budzinski was put through to Commodore Achord before he reached the CIC. "Commodore, we need to nuke the L-Z. I don't know how close Lieutenant Timmons got to the surface before First Squad was overrun. The conventional device inside the complex would have done negligible damage to such a large structure and the tactical device on the surface wasn't enough to dig even 20 meters into the ground. We need to minimize the threat of the Sa'arm recovering bodies and weapons, sir."

As the four ships broke orbit and began accelerating away from the polluted world, three Mark Six missiles were deployed from the Sir Galahad on three different trajectories that were timed to deliver the weapons on top of the bunker at 30-minute intervals. Even so, it was almost certain that the Sa'arm had samples of the projectile and energy weapons that were carried by the fallen Marines.

The first of the big W53 bombs had already begun excavating the Sa'arm bunker and the second bomb was beginning its descent into the cooling atmosphere when six Sa'arm escort-attack frigates were detected streaking around the planetary horizon on a high-speed intercept course. They had been launched from the far side of Sa'Triste and would overtake the fleet before it could accelerate to a matching velocity. It was a typical tactic that allowed the slower Sa'arm vessels to surprise and close in on the faster Confederacy vessels.

As the four Confederacy ships rose on a course that would take them away from the deadly frigates, six more Sa'arm frigates crested the horizon from the opposite direction. These ships were travelling a bit slower than the original six as they were approaching against the rotation of the planet.

The Exec on the Sir Galahad, Lieutenant Commander Margret Howell, did a quick calculation. "Sir, it will take us twelve minutes to match velocities with either group, but they will be on top of us in about ten minutes."

Commander Achord ordered a course correction away from the six late arrivals and back toward the original group. If he could force a head-on approach with the faster ships, then he could minimize the time his four ships would be within range of the Sa'arm gunners.

Howell updated her calculations. "The group behind us will still be on top of us in less than eleven minutes. Estimate six minutes to close with the group ahead. Closing velocity will be just over a hundred kilometers per second unless they slow down."

Maj. Bronson used the fire control computer to calculate intercepts for the two groups of Sa'arm ships. She gave the trailing ships, the Hurst Castle and the Lancaster Castle, release times and fuse delays for a B53 bomb from each ship. The six Sa'arm frigates were in a tight, twenty-kilometer formation that would allow them to board an encircled enemy. If they held their present course and acceleration rate, the fleet would be toast.

The leading corvette, the Farnham Castle, was given the task of bracketing the open formation of six Sa'arm frigates that were ahead of the fleet at a point when the two formations would be ten thousand kilometers apart. The flight of the two missiles would use all of their fuel, but they would have enough inertia to be in the path of the oncoming threat. Maj. Bronson had targeted the two frigates that were farthest apart hoping to bunch the formation for a second salvo into their midst.

The six frigates ahead broke into two groups of three as the missiles approached. They were assuming defensive formations to maximize their anti-missile firepower. Commander Thompson redirected her two missiles to the center ship of each formation. The two groups began opening their formation when the missiles ran out of fuel, but detonation was only seconds away.

The Sa'arm frigates that were closing in the wake of the fleeing fleet hardly altered course to avoid the two dingy gray cylinders in their path. Two of their ships actually appeared to have altered course to bring them nearer to each of the bombs, perhaps with the intention of destroying them with their point defense systems.

The weapons had been launched to detonate within seconds of each other. When four new suns appeared in the sky above Sa'Triste, Achord ordered another course change to open the distance between his fleet and any surviving Sa'arm frigates. When the disturbance created by the blasts cleared enough to allow the radar and laser scanners to resume operation, they found four frigates still pursuing aft, and only three of the four surviving frigates ahead of them were altering course to intercept.

There were two frigates still under full power, one forward and one aft, that didn't alter course when the Confederacy ships altered their course. These two doggedly held to their original heading and acceleration. There was also a charred hulk drifting out of the nearer of the hot gas clouds ahead and some debris from another frigate behind them. Two frigates couldn't be found and were presumed to have been reduced to dust.

Colonel Murphy aboard the Hurst Castle shouted, "Belay that order from the flagship. Put us in a half-degree shallower turn. I want us to be in a position to combine fire with both the Lancaster Castle and the Farnham Castle when the Sa'arm frigates come within range."

"Helm, turn two points to starboard and keep us out of the shadow of Farnham and Lancaster." Murphy ordered. "Are the guns cleared for action, Number One?"

"Aye Captain, I just got word from the port mount. The two-and-a-half gees are making it tough to get to battle stations," Walters responded.

Murphy just grunted in reply.

Bronson didn't wait for approval from Achord and ordered the Hurst Castle to fire a Mark Six between the nearest two frigates. Thomas had anticipated that order and already had the missile programmed. She hit the 'fire' button the instant that the order displayed.

The three Sa'arm frigates turned as soon as they tracked the incoming threat. They were giving the humans too much room. Murphy prepared to turn inside the rising frigates to pass out-of-range behind them, but the order didn't come.

Bronson waited as well and then spoke up. "Commodore, we need to turn the fleet ... now Commodore!"

A message flashed from the Hurst Castle, "Recommend immediate turn into enemy's wake."

"No, the missile..." Achord was clearly confused.

While Achord figuratively wrung his hands, the opportunity was lost. Thomas' shot disabled the two frigates that would have flanked the corvettes.

The last frigate was going to pass right through the middle of the formation. In fact, the collision alert began sounding on Hurst Castle.

"Fuck it," Murphy mumbled before giving the order, "Helm, negative ten degrees. Put us in the wake of that bastard. Fire Control, don't wait for the Sir Galahad, fire into the frigates engines as soon as we're in range!"

"Minus ten, aye!" and "Fire as we bear, aye, Captain," Echoed from the two posts.

Commander O'Donnell addressed Lt-Col. Delano on Farnham Castle, "Captain, the Hurst is turning to engage!"

"What!" Delano replied in shock, "The crazy bastard! Put us off the frigate's port bow."

O'Donnell did a quick calculation, "Recommend minus seven and two to port, Captain."

"Make it so, helm." Delano confirmed the recommendation.

"Aye, minus seven, port two," The helmsman responded.

Aboard the Lancaster Castle Lt-Col. Wallace saw what the other two intended and ordered, "Starboard three, down three!"

The helmsman echoed, "Starboard three, down three, aye sir."

"Fire a missile at that bastard!" Achord shouted to no one in particular.

"We're too close," Bronson advised. "It'll be behind us before the missile can reach it!"

Achord looked at Bronson in disbelief, "AI, fire a damn missile!"

"Missile away," replied the AI. "It has little chance of hitting anything useful."

Bronson checked the four frigates coming up from the stern. "Commodore, we can fire a pattern into the second formation that will force them to turn and give us a better chance to escape." She programmed three missiles and fired without waiting for Achord to concur.

At their present speed the fight was only going to last a few score seconds. The guns aboard the Hurst Castle fired first. Moments later the Farnham Castle and the Lancaster Castle fired. The few shots that connected created an aurora borealis type of glow in the frigate's shields. All five combatants were taking evasive action.

Bronson followed Murphy's lead and coordinated the fire into the frigate's engines. At 3,000 kilometers the frigate began returning fire on the three corvettes. As the Sir Galahad came within range the frigate targeted all four ships. The shields held on the corvettes, but the Sir Galahad's aft shuttle bay was hit by a burst of energy that ripped open the missile bay and ignited the fuel stored in the remaining missiles. From the outside it looked like secondary explosions were going to rip the assault ship apart.

As the combatants closed to 1,500 kilometers the fire from the corvettes penetrated to the frigate's reactor and an orange glow began to spread from the stern to the bow. In the exchange the Farnham Castle's aft shield was penetrated by a shot from the frigate. It tore into the mount of one of her thrusters reducing the Farnham Castle to three-fourths power. As the Hurst emerged from the shadow of the frigate's stern, it fired one last spread. One of the frigate's shots penetrated the shields and took out Hurst Castle's port gun mount.

Bronson continued to track the three missiles into the noses of the nearest three trailing frigates. From head on the missiles were very hard to hit and easy to keep on target. The remaining frigates fired wildly with their main weapons and a lucky shot detonated one of the missiles at two hundred kilometers. After the other two detonated ten kilometers off of the bows of their targets, there were only two frigates left, and one was out of position to intercept when the four singed Confederacy ships turned ninety degrees to their previous heading and headed away from the hostile pair at full burn.

Both the Hurst Castle and the Lancaster Castle throttled back when they saw that the Farnham Castle was not able to keep up. The Hurst Castle turned and released one of its remaining bomb. Bronson updated the confused missile that Achord had fired and directed it toward the further of the two remaining frigates. The Sa'arm ships concentrated their fire on the missile, ignoring the silver cylinder that looked like a thousand gallon propane tank tumbling out of control.

The captain of the closer ship must have realized what was headed his way. The closer of the two frigates turned and managed to open enough distance to avoid being destroyed, but it appeared to have lost some engine power. It was barely gaining on the humans when it turned to resume pursuit. It began firing from far too great a range for accuracy. When the energy weapons on the frigate went quiet, a barrage of missiles erupted from it and streaked toward the retreating castles.

In their tight formation the corvettes had no problem downing the incoming missiles with the combined firepower of their small pulse cannons before the missiles had closed half the distance between the adversaries. At six thousand kilometers the final frigate was rarely hit with one of the glowing tubes of plasma sent its way as the castles began firing their functional plasma cannons, but it was enough.

From the vantage point of the Sir Galahad it looked as though the castles were hurling fluorescent tubes like glowing javelins toward the frigate. The Sa'arm ship's captain must have realized that he would be subjected to scores of hits before he could get close enough for his own weapons to be effective. With uncharacteristic restraint, the last frigate broke off its pursuit.

The fact that the Lancaster Castle was turning onto a heading that would put it in the perfect position to fire its missiles may have also been a factor in the Sa'arm commander's decision. Lt-Col. Wallace also showed restraint as he hoarded his three warheads. He had plans for them and didn't want to waste one on something as small as a damaged frigate.

The second frigate had evaded the missile sent its way when it ran out of fuel and had resumed the chase. The damaged frigate continued to shadow the retreating fleet. It appeared to be waiting for the second one to join it before pressing another attack.

Fuel was transferred while under way from those who had taken the opportunity to visit a gas giant to those that were becoming critically short. Another dozen frigates had been launched from the planet's surface, but the fleet was maintaining enough acceleration to keep the second wave from getting within range before the Confederacy ships would be in a position to jump to light speed. The four ships cleared the planet's gravity well just as the two surviving frigates from the first wave joined together and began to approach the cluster of castles.

Achord ordered the fleet into hyperspace and to proceed to the quiet system with the ice-covered planet. All ships were to rendezvous at Planet 523.4 for repairs and refueling from the gas giant in the Hieloat system before heading to Dothan.

The Hurst Castle had lost one of the 130mm plasma cannons and the five crewmen that manned it. Nothing short of the depot docks at Dothan could repair the gun. Three seamen were overcome by fumes from a fuel leak in one of the auxiliary tanks adjacent to the destroyed launch bay aboard the Sir Galahad, but only one had succumbed to the toxic brew before reaching the tubes in med-bay.

Nine Marines had not returned from the surface. Fifteen casualties were considered to be very light since none of the expedition members were expected to survive if the Sa'arm were encountered.

"I froze up," Achord spoke with his concubine, Frieda, as they lay in bed shortly after the four ships entered hyperspace. "I got good sailors killed, not to mention all those marines. If I'd just listened to Lieutenant Timmons and waited a few weeks, none of this would have happened."

Frieda cradled his head in her ample bosom. "Did you not get valuable information about the Swarm's underground facilities?"

Achord mumbled, "Yes, but..."

"Would you have gotten that information if you had waited?" Frieda was speaking very gently.

"No, but..." Achord began to respond and was again cut off by gentle words.

"Then you need to be sure that the information is put to good use," Frieda observed and added. "Lieutenant Timmons was no fool. She had to believe that the information was worth the sacrifice of her soldiers. Your strength is Military Intelligence and you need to stick with what you're good at."

Achord was too tired to argue and just nodded his agreement.

On the Hurst Castle Hanna was more than a little frantic about being locked into Mathews' quarters. The AI would not respond when the young woman asked what was going on. Walter always checked with her when he was off duty, and it had been hours since she'd heard from him.

When Adams couldn't get through to Hanna and the AI refused to open the door, he sought out the Exec. "Ma'am, I haven't been able to access Mathews' quarters, and I believe his concubine Hanna is locked inside."

Lt-Col. Walters held up her hand to stop Adams from speaking. "Huey, please advise the status of the concubines belonging to Sergeant Mathews."

The AI responded, "Staff Sergeant Walter Mathews is listed as 'missing in action and presumed dead'. As such he has no concubines. His former concubines are unclaimed."

Walters was visibly annoyed by the AI being obtuse. In an icy voice she asked, "Very well, what is the status of his 'former' concubines?"

Again, the AI seemed evasive. "The status of the three at Dothan is unknown. The one in his quarters is becoming quite hysterical. It may be necessary to take steps before she damages the facilities."

Walters shoulders slumped and she shook her head, "Huey, please give Sergeant Adams access to Sergeant Walters' quarters on my authority. Are there other concubines in a similar situation as... ?" She gave Adams a questioning look.

"Hanna," Adams supplied the concubine's name.

" ... As Hanna," Walters echoed.

"Yes, there are four others." The AI replied. "Do you wish to allow them to roam about the ship?"

"There are times," Walters muttered; then spoke up. "Not at the moment." She really didn't want distraught concubines underfoot. "Please give Sergeant Adams access to those locations as well."

"Very well," the AI replied.

Looking at Adams, Lt-Col. Walters told him, "Round up the five and bring them to the wardroom. I'll speak with the Captain and join you in thirty minutes."

"Aye, ma'am," Adams replied before turning and leading Janna back to the crews quarters.

Hanna had collapsed to the floor in front of the hatch, but looked up with swollen eyes when it opened. "The door wouldn't open and the AI wouldn't tell me what was happening!"

Janna dropped to the deck and gathered her sister in her arms. "It'll be okay. Walter is dead." Hanna was clearly distressed by this news. "Ssh, Charlie here is going to take care of us like he promised Walter." She turned to look up at Adams, "Isn't that right, Charles?"

"Yes," Adams answered.

The AI broke in, "Did you have an agreement to take responsibility for the concubines of Staff Sergeant Walter Mathews?"

"Yes, we each agreed to take care of the other's ladies if anything went wrong," Adams answered uncertainly.

The AI came back with, "I have no record of such an agreement."

Adams added, "We worked it out while training on Dothan. I'm guessing that the Dothan AI should have a record. We were in the break room at the training facility."

"Very well, you may assume guardianship of this concubine pending verification of the agreement when we reach Dothan." The AI could tell by the stress levels, heart rate, and other indicators that Adams was speaking truthfully.

When Adams and Janna had Hanna calmed down, they took her to Adams's quarters. After collecting the other orphaned concubines, he returned to his quarters for Hanna and escorted the small group to the wardroom where Colonel Murphy and Commander Walters were waiting.

The two officers stood as the concubines entered the wardroom. Colonel Murphy said, "Please come in and be seated. Sergeant Adams, the AI informs me that ownership of Hanna has tentatively passed to you. You may take her back to your quarters since she is excluded from this situation." Looking at Hanna he said, "You have my sincerest condolences for your loss."

"Thank you," Hanna replied before being led out of the room by Adams.

Turning to those that were taking seats he added, "That goes for the four of you as well. I deeply regret what has happened to your sponsors. I assure you that Commander Walters and I will do all we can to help you cope with your losses."


Two days after leaving Sa'Triste for Hieloat the AI of Hurst Castle informed Colonel Murphy, "Captain, it has been forty-eight hours and there are no concubine openings among the crew. We must recycle or space the excess concubines."

Murphy was just as adamant, "Negative! There will be no more casualties among the humans on this ship."

The AI then appealed to Commander Walters who was in her quarters with her concubine, Andrew. "Commander Walters, you must insist that the Captain recycle the concubines of the lost crewmen. We cannot allow resources to be expended on them any longer."

Walters sighed and got out of bed before answering the AI. "Keep the air on for the moment, Huey. I'll speak with the Captain right away."

Commander Walters took her time getting to the bridge. She stopped at several compartments along the way and spoke privately with a number of crewmen. As she entered the bridge she looked back as a crewman stepped into the opening behind her and nodded.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.