Narisa 1: A Life Changing Event - Cover

Narisa 1: A Life Changing Event

Copyright© 2008 by C. Stanton Leman

Prologue

On Wednesday, August 29th, 2000, there were tearful and sad goodbyes as we waited to board the aircraft that would take us from Tehran back home to the United States and begin a new life. Narisa's heartfelt and sad farewell to her family, a family she'd never see again was especially painful to witness. Life moves on and even farewells have to end, but with every farewell there's a new adventure on the horizon.

We boarded our flight at 5:55 am and took off at 6:15. As the plane banked and lifted up into the clear, blue summer skies over Tehran, Narisa looked back sobbing for a family and a homeland she'd never see again.

It took me a good hour during the flight to get Narisa calmed down. As soon as she seemed okay, she'd start the waterworks all over again. She told me through Mom that the thought of never seeing her family, especially her mother again seemed unbearable now that it was a reality and she'd actually left Tehran.

I just pulled up the armrest between us and held her. There wasn't much else I could do. I mean, if I was leaving my parents forever, I had no idea how I'd handle it: probably no better than Narisa was.

After she'd cried herself out, she slept the last two of the five-hour flight. I woke her up when the seatbelt sign came on and we were instructed to prepare for landing. She awoke red-eyed from crying and her face and eyes were a little puffy. When we landed in London, we found out that the State Department didn't waste any time and was waiting for us.

Stanley Wiseman, the Assistant Secretary of State who arranged for Narisa's asylum along with several security personnel, met us as we disembarked from the aircraft. We were escorted to a private conference room where he began to prepare us for our arrival at Dulles Airport near Washington D.C. We were surprised to learn that we wouldn't be continuing our regular flight, but instead would be flown to Washington on a private governmental jet.

He explained that the press was waiting for us in force, expecting us to arrive on a commercial flight. He told us that he would be making a government approved statement and that he would answer most of the press' questions. Then Dad, and Mom if she wished to, would speak and give their statements and take questions if they so desired. Mr. Wiseman advised that it would be best if Narisa and I didn't appear before or speak to journalists because we were minors. U.S. law prevents the press from publishing any details regarding us such as names, personal details or information other than our ages and some of the details of the incident in Tehran. The details of our arrest, trials and release were murky areas in that Mom and Dad had to be careful what they said because, by asking carefully crafted probing questions, the press hoped that some of this information would be accidentally revealed. Any statement or information given by the guardians of minor children could be printed. The press was hungry for the juicy details: two young teens pulled from the brink of death only by marrying one another; it was a story that had them all salivating. Add to that, in Iran, Narisa was a convicted prostitute: what would the world press do with that information? All of us were starting to get apprehensive as we thought about what to expect when we landed.

Having been prepared, we were escorted through a private area and hustled into a shuttle bus and driven to a hanger where we boarded a small jet. Fifteen minutes later we were airborne on our last leg home, compliments of Uncle Sam. The plane was a lot more comfortable than a commercial flight and they served us a hot meal once we were underway.

None of us could really rest because we were so anxious about what was to happen when we landed. The tension only served to make the flight seem longer than it really was. I thought to myself, I was nervous about going over there and now, I'm more nervous about coming back!

I cuddled my tiny wife to help ease her obvious fear of the unknown. She was also still morose over the loss of her family. While she slept on the plane, she uttered "Momma" several times in her sleep.

After what seemed like forever, we were circling Washington D. C. waiting for clearance to land. Once on the ground and the plane had taxied to a hanger, we were again loaded onto a shuttle that drove us to the terminal. We were told our luggage would be taken care of and loaded in the van that would drive us home. After some last minute preparations, our family was seated in an anteroom next to the press room and was told we could watch the press conference on closed circuit TV. Then, if either of my parents wished to make a statement, they would be called in. Dad said he'd like to make a statement and Mr. Wiseman told him he would bring him in at the appropriate time.

We watched the screen and the lone podium with the State Department seal as a backdrop and the murmurings of reporters waiting for someone to appear. After several minutes, Mr. Wiseman walked into the room and up to the rostrum and the room suddenly became quite.

"Good evening, ladies and gentleman, it's such a surprise to see all of you here tonight instead of being at home with your families (chuckles from the press).

"At this time, I'd like to take a moment and say that for our citizens traveling abroad, we would hope that they visit the State Department's website and review any precautions that should be taken when traveling abroad and to remember that U.S. citizens are bound by the laws of the countries they visit. These countries may have far more serious penalties for certain offenses than are present in U.S. courts. We are here tonight to report the resolution of a situation involving the arrest, detention and trial of a U.S. citizen by authorities of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Through delicate negotiations and diplomacy, a successful conclusion was reached."

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.