Shelly Hugh Driscott - Cover

Shelly Hugh Driscott

Copyright© 2007 by John Wales

Chapter 8

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 8 - Hugh Driscott is a young farmer fresh out of university. He inherits a farm and some associated small business near London Ontario. The farmhouse is well supplied with lightning rods because nature wants to burn the house down. A large silver mirror is struck by a bolt and Hugh is like a modern day Alice.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Consensual   Romantic   Science Fiction  

We prepared for our next trip. The maps were studied and the cities picked out. We managed to get a rocket launcher for the truck that had no cannon. The rockets cost nearly four hundred thousand a pop so I was hesitant to use them. I only got them because I could trade directly for gold.

We did have visual on the missiles so we could actually see what we were going to hit. With no aircraft, the weapon could not be used to its full potential. Some biker businessmen found three pilotless drones that were made in Australia. They were not small, either.

We had made nearly forty million dollars profit on the last trip but we were severely restricted in what we could purchase. I could not see the reason for money laundering. Much of what we did spend was on defence and some, like the generators, were to change the culture in Bejek. The most potent weapon was education and this required books. We hired a university student to make a font for us. It worked quite well with WordPerfect. We could now type in Ladra with ease. The problem was that the language had some odd grammar and we were not that experienced with writing it yet. I was trying to avoid something like the Japanese translation of some games when they were carried into English.

We downloaded technical books from the internet with wild abandon. When they got translated we could print them. Hard copy books were purchased for the university and I knew that the biology of Earth was the same as Bejek.

Galdem, Jonna and I took a trip on horses to see how Artlam and Mantoya were doing. We had few trade items except for fifty kilos of copper and an equal weight in shells for the Lee-Enfields. We also carried all the tools to reload the expended shells that had been used along with the powder and primers. Along with this was some personal articles. We dressed this time to fit in as fairly affluent travellers that looked armed enough to not be trifled with.

Shreff looked different in the autumn of the local year. We were studied intently as we and our six pack horses went through the gate. There was now a heavy false beard on my face, Galdem wore one as well. I was hit by the stink first. My two travelling companions seemed better able to cope with it. Galdem knew the city well and led us to Artlam's home. There were two guards lounging in front and I knew that two more were hidden across the street.

When we stopped, Galdem said, "We came to see your Master."

"Who are you?"

"Look closer. You had your cock parked in my ass enough times."

The man looked closer, then he looked at Jonna and me. "You should get off the streets. Go to the side entrance and I'll have it opened for you."

In a few minutes a large double door opened to admit us and our pack horses.

Artlam was in the yard when we came. He had a big smile. I said, "Are you happy to see us, Artlam, or did we cause too many problems?"

"Hello, Hugh. Your beard looks fair but you need work on it to make it good."

"You have a good eye but I guess you have to have one." I got down and shook the man's hand. I had entrusted him with a lot and I would find out soon if the trust was justified.

"You were right about the Church. It was as we had thought. The Habstner broke through King Willas' lines to come here. We found out about it and used the rifles on them. The king in his gratitude made me a minister but not one at his court."

"And how many times did you stop people trying to steal the rifles or the ammunition?"

"There were eleven major attempts and four minor."

"Did any succeed?"

"You hurt my pride. I was going to offer you wine."

"I would accept a drink and a bath if you would provide one. We also have a lot of valuable property here that needs to be protected."

"Then let's get it into the house as soon as possible."

We took our weapons with us and leaned them on the wall. Over a glass of wine I asked, "Are you and Mantoya still on good terms?"

"Of course."

"Would you mind inviting him here for a meeting. We could go to his offices but I am sure that my presence would be found out sooner if I did that."

I had a quick bath. Jonna did my back and I did hers. We didn't have much time for dilly dallying. By the time I got out and dressed, I found a line of ten children and four adult women. The children were dressed nicely and they looked healthier than they did the last time I saw them.

The first governess bowed to me and introduced three of the children. The children stepped forward one at a time and said how happy they were to see me. I shook hands with them and basically treated them like adults. The first stepped back. This went on until all of them had been introduced and greeted. Artlam had come to see this and smiled.

The last one was a boy of about three. When I opened my hands after the shake he slowly came to me. I picked him up and said, "You are bigger now, Goff. I brought something for all of you. Do you want it now or later?"

He just smiled and nodded his head. I carried Goff and the rest followed me. One of my packs had some of the gifts I brought. I reached into the pack and picked out a doll. "This is for Mago." The girl in question had to be encouraged to come over. I put the doll in her arms like a baby and said, "This is so you can practice. Look at her eyes."

"They open!"

"They close, too."

Mago hugged the doll and smiled widely at me. I said, "There is a secret in your baby. She comes from Atlantis and does not speak your language but she can call her mother."

Mago almost dropped the doll when it cried 'mama', but after the tenth time she cuddled the doll to her. The other girls got similar dolls. These were expensive and said to be the most lifelike of any made. There were many varieties and they were all anatomically correct.

Goff got a large fluffy dog that he seemed to love right away. There were flashlights that stayed lit if they were shaken and others if they were cranked. There was a lot of the large hoops used to make giant bubbles. Wooden puzzles as well as jigsaw puzzles were included. To stimulate art, I brought many sets of coloured pencils and watercolours.

When the children were led away to investigate their gifts, Artlam said, "You treat them like your own children."

"I don't have any children, yet. I have too much work to do here to start having my own."

"I have many children but I never have enough time to see them. After sharing your joy, I see that I have missed out."

Mantoya arrived soon after and was invited into the house with four of his officers. I had met two of the men before but I was introduced to all of them. Artlam had his own officers and they were included in the meeting. I introduced Jonna and Galdem.

Wine and a snack came and we began to get down to what had happened here. Fighting was in the blood and one bloody battle with the Habstner was described in detail.

What I was really after was how King Willas now looked on those in this room. A King's gratitude was probably capricious at best. I learned he wanted more weapons and more shells. He was thwarted because the rifles were said to be my property and were on loan. The shells were irreplaceable.

Artlam had my cargo brought in. Everybody's eyes lit up when they saw the cartridges. Next, I set up the apparatus for reloading the shells. This took a while because it was a bigger unit. This large unit rested on the floor instead of a bench.

"You have to find your own lead for the bullets. The trick is to make them all the same. If they are off even just a little bit, they get remelted and recast."

The men around the room nodded.

Jonna was now asked to add her input. She talked of what to inspect in a used casing. We already had lots of copies of this information. She went through the entire procedure. At the same time she was actually doing what she said with actual parts.

"If you put too much powder in, you can have a breach. That means the rifle is destroyed and a man dies through someone else's mistake. Make the bullet just a bit too big and the same thing happens."

She handed the completed shell to the first man and he passed it to the next.

Jonna said, "You gentlemen have to copy this machine very carefully. Bullets are heavy but powder and primers are light. If you work carefully you should be able to reuse twenty four thousand shells with what we brought today. It would interest one person in this room that smaller calibres can also be reloaded." This was aimed at Artlam.

Jonna went on to talk about marksmen that insisted on making their own shells. They were consistent and very accurate. She also stressed again about practice and the need for cleaning and oiling.

I dug into the bag again and came out with more gifts. These were simply nine volt batteries, but they were needed for many of the small devices I gave the two men or the school. Science kits were pulled out of the leather bag and had to be explained to the men. The instructions had already been translated for their use. Most were fighting men and not really interested.

Wet cell batteries were here along with the parts for more. They had to have some to investigate so they could make more. A twelve volt battery had six cells so I had five cells to keep the voltage near where it had to be.

The men were now instructed by Jonna as they prepared a sampling of shells. We had a few empties with more stored in the armoury. The men didn't seem to resent a woman teaching them and I didn't think it was because I was here.

We stayed up late and were offered rooms for the night. We would have another class on reloading in the morning and then a meeting on what was happening in this world.

I received special dispensation and stayed with the children. I sharpened pencils and drew pictures. I was far from being an artist but I was able to draw a bit. Paper was heavy and paper made in Bejek was expensive as well as being poor quality. We experimented with the watercolours. I figured next time I would bring some crayons to add to the supplies.

The girls, of course, had their 'babies' with them and so did Goff. It was surprising to see that the older boys looked on Goff's gift as if they wanted something similar. I guess it all had to do with customs.

I found Galdem before the meeting and had him tell the rest what he had been doing in the last few months. He had worked hard and his mind was stretched to understand the new culture that he met. We stressed what he was learning so he could be an asset to me. Driving the trucks, riding a horse, shooting various weapons and then watching educational television were only some of highlights. Galdem knew enough to not mention the portal and told a story about ships and sailing on the ocean.

When the meeting started we discussed the collection of books, gold and silver. Little had been found and I had basically cleaned out the city apart from those pieces of art that people didn't want to sell at scrap prices.

The men in the room listened to the report made by Mantoya about the starting of the school. There was not much progress yet but I expected that sort of thing. I asked questions on a time frame and Mantoya had to give his best guesses. My intention was to make sure he followed certain paths to some specific goals.

The school was slated to move out of Artlam's home and into mine, I heard. Artlam blushed at this. It was either that he was seen as a good citizen or that my future quarters would be shared with a lot of students.

The city was happy because of the defeat of the Habstner incursion and the fact that there was a lot of construction and employment. The school itself was many smaller properties that were now combined to give us the room we needed.

I added an idea that should have been suggested before, "What's being done to prepare a safe shooting range?"

Mantoya said, "We just shoot from the wall at targets in the distance. That's the way we did it before and that is the place we will shoot from if an enemy comes close."

"Somebody that's innocent will get killed one day. You need a long stretch of land with a large pile of soil at the end. Above this should be a wall of logs to catch bullets fired too high. You can mark out the distance with lines of lime. The bullets you are firing go a great distance and can kill by mistake."

Mantoya said, "Then the peasants should not be there."

"What if it's their land and you want their produce?"

"They should hide when we shoot."

"They don't know when you start to shoot. Killing your own people isn't the thing to do. One way to help would be to have rules made and posted. If somebody is reckless, he is banned from shooting the Lee-Enfields. If he's a fool, we don't want him. If he endangers others, he has no place with the school. I'm sure the army would think twice about this sort of person, too. Perhaps in a later visit I can bring the rules that we use and you can adapt them to your land." I said, leaving them an out to save face.

I asked, "What in your opinion would be the logical outcome if I visited King Willas at Limka?"

Mantoya said, "They would want your copper and trade for it."

I looked around and finally Artlam said, "The Church would try to destroy you. The king might try to seize all of your weapons if he felt he could take them fairly safely. The thieves guild will be after you for their own gains if not because they are paid. They would lure you into the city where you are weak and attack. They would make traps to destroy you on the roads."

When I looked at Mantoya, I saw him thinking hard but not disputing the statement. "That may very well be so, but it all depends on what strength is shown. A weak force draws an aggressor."

I said, "I would appear stronger if I had more eyes and ears. I would also look stronger if I had a hundred men riding with rifles. Finding men that will not run off with what they can will be difficult. Finding men that will scout out a city for me and not report me to the king or the Church would be the same."

Mantoya said, "There are some good men in this city, but I need them too."

"Perhaps I can ask you to raise a group of men for me. They are paid better than most. If they are trained correctly, then desertion and theft would be minimized." I looked at Artlam and said, "Perhaps you know of some men that could join us not just as soldiers but as a special unit that gets paid even more. They train harder than the rest and receive special training on how to sneak into a city and out again among other skills. Those men and women could find traps set to catch me."

"How much pay would they get? I know men and it will take time for them to show loyalty."

Now it was my turn to think. "How about they get standard pay for a year. If I am alive and active, they get a pistol similar to what you have plus fifty bullets. After another year, they may get another pistol that may be better yet."

"What about gaining some pistols that are like what you have?"

"That can work but it may be better to make these weapons here. The weapons my girls used so well are well suited to be made anywhere but I don't have the specialised knowledge. I wouldn't want to make guns that are of inferior quality."

"Can a telescope be put on the top like mine?"

"Yes."

"The promise of a rifle like that would be more than some men could handle."

"I don't want these rifles getting out into the public. They would be for the defence of the school and city, as well as for arming my escort. If we make too many, some day those same weapons will be aimed at us. Let's make small pistols as gifts and some better pistols for those that serve our cause."

The conversation went on and on. It was far from boring though. I touched on another topic. "I would like to do more sailing because my cargo is so heavy. Getting one of our larger ships would be difficult and expensive. What can be found on this continent that is large and safe enough?"

Mantoya said, "Why did you not ask the sailors that carried you?"

I felt a trap now and I had constructed it. "I have to come by small craft. The land vehicles are put back together from pieces that small craft can carry. We have very large ships that are made of good steel but I am not yet given leave to use them. My mission here is to change your people by educating them."

"Not gain copper?"

"I'm wealthy in my land. I like art and will purchase articles that further my enjoyment. Our gold is used in giant statues. I would like to have one commissioned for me but most of the gold goes to those that are far richer than me."

"Is that all?"

"I want to educate your people and gain silver and gold."

"Yes?"

"Those are the two reasons. I would only add that the Church is the main obstruction to progress as I see it. I would like to see the Church reformed, all of you educated, and of course me gaining metal for my own needs."

The men thought about my words and studied me. I had slipped grievously by mentioning ships. When a moment had past, I said, "I'd like a larger ship than I can now command. I need competent sailors. The ship has to go where I want and not where the captain may want to go for his own trading."

"Tell us about your steel ships."

I started with the largest military ships then went into the largest cargo carriers I saw, then I glossed over the mid range until I got to the car toppers with an outboard motor. I then went back and talked about sailing ships that were king in their day then to the racing ships that were made of fiberglass.

"You cannot get one of these ships yourself?"

"I have to sneak out of my land and sneak back in. A large ship would be noticed. I have not had any dealings with the local sailors at all."

"Why must you sneak?"

"Your land is savage. I'm going against the beliefs of my people. I'm the one that thinks that you can change. If I'm wrong, then when I die, there will be no more trade."

There was no talk after that statement until Artlam said, "So you are no stranger to slipping around obstructions?"

"Actually, I'm not good at it. I try hard to think of all the possibilities before I proceed and I still make mistakes. I'm a man that owns some businesses that sell to the common person. I went to a special school to learn how to farm. I love to grow plants and improve them. That love has to be pushed aside so I can help here, not just find gold to make a beautiful statue."

The discussion got into dangerous territory a few more times. I was able to slip out fairly easy only because I had thought that this situation would one day come about.

I tried not to sound evasive and at the best time I said, "I brought three generators made in my land. There are also some batteries in my belongings. I have to talk to those that work in chemicals to find out if my batteries can be duplicated." I had no name for the word acid and needed to talk around the word until one of the men came up with the translation.

"The devices you have require batteries. You now can make your own and they will last far longer. When they lose their power, they can be charged again." Promises were made to find the people for me.

Artlam came to me later and said, "If I gathered your gold then you wouldn't be exposed to danger."

"That's what I was thinking about, too. It doesn't cover the Church and the education."

"You have a school started and education will change the Church."

"The school hasn't really been established, yet. We have a sort of start now but it's not enough. I have millions of books written in many languages but none of them are in yours. Education would proceed faster when some texts can say what I can't. I'm only partially educated and no one man can know everything about even farming."

"Surely farming is just digging a hole in the ground and planting a seed. Later you remove weeds and keep the land watered."

"There's much more." I went on to tell him what I learned each year in university. Genetics and the changes we could make were added but Artlam didn't see the difficulty in manipulating genes since I could do so many other tasks.

When I was finished talking about crops, I said, "You mentioned gathering gold for me. The coins are debased. I have to not only remove what has been put in them but I have to add what we use. If you were to acquire the gold from where it's refined, it would have less base metals and perhaps be easier to gather. You have to ship and protect your cargo. What do you see as a rate of exchange?"

"The official rate as you know is 48 to 1. I would need some of those AK-47's you mentioned to protect my investment."

"I'm not opposed to you gaining a few of those weapons. You must know the truth of the matter when I said that one day we will have to face any of those weapons that get out of our hands. Your guards, though, would be adequately protected with the kinds of guns you now have. At some future date when the shipments get very large, we can discuss heavier weapons. In the years to come, you may get carts similar to what I used. The AK-47's are effective but the carts had much more formidable weapons."

"Like what?"

"The guns on top fire a very heavy shell and push it out much further and even faster than the rifle. The larger weapon is a cannon. It's probably much smaller than any you have ever seen, but mine can go just as far and be just as effective. Instead of four rounds in a minute, it can fire nearly a hundred. I'm using something much stronger than the black powder you use in my shells and this means that they will be far more effective than anybody else's."

"This wagon would be very useful in war."

"Yes, it would, but it's too large. Smaller units are made that are more agile. They usually move in groups for mutual protection. Two vehicles are really not enough. I don't see using more unless the entire might of the Church comes after me."

"They just might. To finish my reply, without the AK-47's, I could use six more of the Lee-Enfields and a thousand rounds of ammunition. As this gets used, I will need more. You said we need to practice." I didn't dispute him so he continued, "I would have to give you 40 to 1 for the copper."

"When I was here last, I gathered the equivalent of 16,000 drak's of copper. You are saying that you will do this for me but keep 6,000 for the gathering and the transporting. That's a lot for what you offer."

"My people and I have to eat."

"They would eat too well. If you want the rifles, you'll have to purchase them from me. You'll also have to do the same for your ammunition."

"What do you suggest?"

"I gave you some rifles already. I'll loan you six more and provide two thousand rounds of ammunition, two thousand primers and enough powder to fill that many shells. You will gather the same amount of gold and silver that I had gathered last time. I'll also provide the necessary copper to make the initial purchase. You'll look for my books and gather them. You will do this at six different cities, then pay me back the copper I loaned you. The guns will be yours then and I'll give you 200 drak's."

"What about if I go to a seventh city?"

"One more rifle, a thousand primers and the powder. I'll also give you a pistol like mine and a hundred rounds of ammunition." I was not being cheap in my dealings, I was limiting Artlam's starting point because he would want more and more as time went on.

"Now that I like."

We made up a written contract but I could still get royally screwed. Artlam was directed to the fifty kilograms of copper I carried here so he could start the business venture. This was enough to get 2,400 kilos of gold but some would have to be silver. Silver was going for 411,000 bucks a tonne at home so I couldn't bitch that much.

Artlam said, "You asked me to keep your slaves from the men but your oldest two girls wish to start a family now. They're of age."

In this society I could act more honestly in some situations. "Are they after someone in particular?"

"I'm afraid so."

"What are the prospective husbands like? I don't like men abusing girls."

"There's no problem there. You would approve of their choice."

"How's that? A wife means children. The family has to have enough food to feed its members. Do the men have jobs?"

"The girls have actually focussed on one individual. He has no money problems. He loves the girls and I know the love will grow. He's that type of man."

"If those girls were your daughters, would you recommend that they marry this guy?"

"I think so. You shouldn't take my word for it. Talk to the girls themselves. You can hear about their choice from them. When they were my slaves they were much easier to deal with."

I put off the meeting with the girls for a while by saying. "Who, besides the Church, knows anything about Magic?"

"Why would you like to know?"

"Magic interests me. I like to learn about the science of living things and magic seems to fit."

Artlam didn't look to have bought my argument but said, "The Church is a very closed society. Once you enter, you only get out through death. The Church seeks out everybody that has even the smallest spark. Those that have escaped being picked up by the Church authorities want to continue with their freedom."

"I only want to get answers to my questions, not turn them over to some bloody fanatics."

"There are a few people. I value their help and I don't want to see them distressed. I'll contact them and ask them to answer your questions."

"Thanks, Artlam."

Artlam took me to a large room where one of the women were instructing the five girls, then left me. I had disturbed the class and now the teacher could get nothing done. I saw that all the girls still had their dolls and I felt good for giving this gift.

The instructor was a woman of about forty. She was still good looking for her age and reminded me of my mother. I vaguely remembered her name as Sossa.

The woman asked, "Is there something I could do for you, Milord?"

"I would have liked to listen to what you had to teach, but I'm afraid I've disturbed your class too much for that."

"I'm sure the girls will disregard you if you require this."

"Forcing them won't work. I also came to talk to Lomma and Bulla."

"We can help you there, Milord." She looked at the other girls and said, "Let's leave now girls." I hadn't intended for this to happen but it did take away the aggravation of finding a place to talk.

Both of the girls were smiling at me. They were sitting on some large cushions with their feet under them. They seemed to wiggle a bit and their smiles became more subdued.

"Hello, girls. I was talking to Artlam about the two of you. He said that each of you wanted to get married. Where I come from, a girl doesn't get married until she's around eighteen. Some don't marry until they are in their thirties. You don't have to rush this along. The longer you take to find a man the more chance there is that you'll find a good one."

The girls just smiled so I added, "There are lots of things to do in your life before being tied down with a family. Getting married means that eventually you will have children. An older women can take care of a child better than a young girl."

They seemed to accept this so far. "The people in this land act different than in mine. Sometimes it's not much. Jonna told me that girls feel obliged to get married well before they reach their thirteenth birthday. You shouldn't act as if you are running out of time."

Again, they seemed to understand me. The girls looked at each other as if in some silent communication the way I could with my older ladies. They didn't seem happy though. "If you still want to get married, you may. This is your world."

I looked at Lomma. The people here, and especially the girls, were not upset about being asked about their bodies. I asked, "Have you started to bleed yet?"

"Yes, Master. I started just after you left last time."

This meant that there was a good chance she would be pregnant by now. "What about you, Bulla?"

This girl started to tear up and said, "Not yet, Master. Maybe it will be soon."

"Don't push it. Your body will change in time. You're safe now." She didn't seem to be mollified in the least.

"I heard that you wish to share a man. Does he love you?"

The girls looked at one another again and it was Lomma that said, "He loves us a little."

He didn't sound like a nice person. These girls were pretty and so vulnerable. I perhaps fitted in with the males of this land a little too well because I would love to sample both these girls. The problem would be that I formed an attachment to them. "Does he have a home for you to live in?"

I got the look and Lomma said, "Yes, Master. He has a large home."

"Have you heard anything bad about him? Did he throw out a wife before?"

"Oh, no, Master."

"I want to meet this man. You may go to him and tell him what I said. If I find he's good enough, then you may marry him." Lomma got up quickly and so did Bulla. They came to me but instead of a hug they got on the floor like slaves. Lomma said in a formal voice, "We will do as you ask, Master. Thank you for allowing this."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.