Journey - Cover

Journey

by Duke of Ramus

Copyright© 2007 by Duke of Ramus

Science Fiction Sex Story: So you got off the planet but that doesn't mean the danger is over. You still have to learn the rules or the lack of them. Alex Flowers continues to discover what he has let himself in for. The second story in the Cadet Saga.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Fa/Fa   Coercion   Science Fiction   DomSub   Oral Sex   .

This is the GRA edit – a revision that cleared a major continuity error


Cadet Colonel Alex Flowers stepped out of the shimmering field that marked the terminus of the transporter and into bedlam. After taking just three paces he stopped, not knowing what to do and unable to see anyone in charge.

Behind him he heard a curse, then Captain Roberts, Confederacy Space Marines, stepped around him and bellowed “Halt!” His voice, commanding and loud enough to reach the far corners of the room, caused everyone to stop and look towards him.

“Who’s in charge here?” he demanded.

When no one replied he asked, “All Confederacy personnel make yourselves known, now!”

Three hands shot up, all around the edge of the room.

“You three stay on your feet, everyone else, sit down! Now!” he barked.

All around the room people sat down, some on benches or convenient boxes, the majority on the floor. They did so in silence, cowed by the big Marine officer, who now moved through them towards the nearest of those left standing.

“You are?” he asked, towering over the oriental man who, like the Captain, was in the uniform of a Confederacy Space Marine.

“Private Nguyen, Sir.” The in-built Universal Translator provided the Captain with an English version, though the statement had been easily understood without it.

“And what are you doing, Private?”

“Processing the intake from team Gamma, Sir,” said the Private, standing rigidly at attention.

Captain Roberts looked around the room. “Relax,” he said. “Are those two part of your team?”

“Yes Sir, Privates Liang and Yang,” said Private Nguyen, still standing at attention.

“One moment.” The Captain got that far away look as he consulted his AI, “OK, what’s happening on this ship?” It may not have been the most clearly constructed of questions, but after a million years of development the Confederacy AI’s had learned to interpret and anticipate their owners’ needs.

The AI, sounded embarrassed, muttered, “It appears that a problem has occurred on the Colony Ship Chiang, so Command Central has decided to utilize this ship for some of the extractions performed by team Gamma.” The AI paused momentarily, “You should also be aware that, as a way of increasing the diversity of the gene pool in this group, it has been decided that those volunteers extracted by team Gamma and moved to this ship will be joining those extracted by team Delta. This ship will then go to the Poseidon system and will be establishing a new colony on Demeter, Poseidon three.”

“Oh fuck,” muttered the Marine; originally this group would have been going to the Poseidon system but would have been joining the colony that had already been established on Persephone, a moon of Poseidon Six. Taking another deep breath to calm himself Captain Roberts focused again on the Gamma team soldier and asked, “So Private, where’s your boss?”

“Sir, she’s with the rest of the extracted persons on Chiang.” The private answered calmly.

The Marine, knowing a cluster fuck when he saw one, consulted his AI again, “So, where are the rest of my team?”

“As was originally planned the members of your team have been transferred to the troopship Orion, except for Sergeant Horn.” The AI paused for a moment, whilst querying the ships AI. “The deck handling staff, who would normally be here, are currently dealing with a pressurization issue in the forward pod cluster.”

The early colony ships, of which the Aurora was one, were really just converted Darjee freighters. When looked at from a distance they consisted of six rings of pods, three rings forward and three rings aft of a bulbous centre section. Each of the rings contained sixteen pods, which had started life as part of an orbital transfer system, used to get goods from the ship to the planets surface. These pods were now configured to support human life whilst in transit and, after deployment to the colony’s surface, become the permanent homes of the new colonists.

The pods were attached to a central hold area that made up the backbone of the ship. This vast space had been sectioned off in the colony ships and had been configured to provide the medical facilities, canteen and instruction areas along with a transporter terminus.

The forward and aft habitation clusters were separated by a central section, which contained the ships bridge and crew accommodation. This area, manned by the Darjee, was off limits to all except the liaison officers. At the rear of the spacecraft, safely shielded from the colonists, were the fuel tanks and drive modules. These were, effectively, bolt on units and could be replaced or upgraded easily.

Dave Roberts raised his eyes to the ceiling before taking command of himself. “Private Nguyen, how many people have you bought with you to this ship?”

“Twelve volunteers and thirty-six dependents, Sir.”

“And I’ve got twenty-one -- that leaves us space for another dozen or so groups.” Dave thought for a moment before asking the Private, “Are you making the journey to Demeter with your people?”

“I believe we are to return to the Chiang as soon as we have handed over to the ships company, Sir.”

‘Wonderful, just wonderful,’ thought Dave Roberts, ‘looks like me and Emily are babysitting the lot of them on our own.’ That bought up another question for his AI, “Is the Orion still accompanying us?”

“Yes, as far as Persephone. Sergeant Horn and yourself will be rejoining your unit at that time.” The AI replied.

Captain Roberts looked around at the confused, and in some cases scared, faces watching him and squared his shoulders. “Private, stick with me and translate as necessary.” With that the Marine made his way to the centre of the hanger bay and activated his voice amplifier. “Listen up, I want everyone to cluster around their own sponsor. Once the sponsor is happy that he has all his concubines in one place then the group is to sit down and the sponsor is to come here.” He looked around to ensure that everyone was paying attention and to give Private Nguyen a chance to translate his instructions, then gave the word to begin.

It took a while for everyone to get themselves sorted out. The cadets had a few minor issues because of the way they’d allowed two sponsors to form an enlarged family, but after a little discussion everyone was sitting, waiting to see what happened next.

Whilst he was waiting for the sponsors to make their way to him he spoke with the Chinese Private, “I know there are four kids that need picking up from the group I bought up with me. What about your group -- are there any children we need to collect?”

“I’m not sure, the group I was processing seemed to have one but I don’t know about the rest of them.”

“We’ll find out soon enough.”

When the sponsors had clustered about the two Marines, Captain Roberts began his introduction.

“Okay, listen up, just to remind you all, you’re responsible for whatever you’ve ended up collecting -- that is totally responsible. We’re going to start trying to get you processed now, but the crew are busy so it may be a little haphazard to begin with.”

“Firstly, you need to go through your concubines and find out if they have children to be collected. Remember, they have to be under fourteen and you have to want them as well, if you don’t want them just don’t tell me and they’ll be left behind. I also need everyone’s IDs, including yours. These will be used to facilitate processing you through the system and also be used to identify and locate the kids that need recovering.”

“Secondly, everyone will go through medical screening, but check your people and see if any of them need anything urgently -- insulin, blood pressure tablets, that sort of thing. If they do, we’ll push them through first.”

“Thirdly, after everyone has been through the screening you need to sort out who is staying in what pod. The pods will be your home, both for the journey and when you land on the colony world. To aid integration I want the families that came up with Private Nguyen intermixed with your people. Colonel, see to it.”

“Yes Sir,” replied a surprised Alex.

Through a quirk in Private Nguyen’s translation, Alex, although he didn’t realize it, had just become the senior colonist in this half of the ship, a position which was consolidated a moment later.

“Right, go get started. Colonel, hang back a minute, will you?”


“Alex, this whole show is turning into a cluster fuck. I need you to keep on top of your people, and if possible, integrate the people that team Gamma have bought aboard.” He indicated the clusters of Orientals with a sweeping gesture of his arm. “Because of that I want to send you through the med process first.”

The older man watched as the cadet processed his statement, seeing the curiosity building, before filling in the details.

“In the first pass through the med bays, under normal conditions, you and everyone else would only get the basic fitness screening but I want them to add the Universal translator implant for you. It’ll help you deal with both groups without having to drag a translator around with you to understand what’s being said and I have the feeling that we’re going to need you there pretty soon. So, what do you say?”

Alex braced up, “Yes Sir.”

“Just like that, no questions? I’m surprised,” said Captain Roberts, raising an eyebrow.

“I read everything I could before volunteering sir,” explained the cadet, “including details -- well those that had been released into the public domain -- of what happens after extraction. I’m aware that I will undergo a certain amount of augmentation and will be permitted to modify, for want of a better word, any of my drones. I’m taking it that this is part of that process.” Alex smiled, “Though not necessarily the normal sequence of events.”

“Got it in one,” replied the grinning Captain. “Keep smiling son and we may be able to get through this without too much pain.”

“How long will I be away from my people, Sir?” asked Alex.

The Captain consulted the AI, “Put someone in charge of your group and head for that green door,” he said, pointing to one wall of the hanger space, “Tell them you’ll be back in about five hours. Don’t worry, it’s going to take much longer than that to get everyone through processing.”

The Aurora was fitted with four med stations, each with four med pods and one had just been committed to Alex for a five-hour operation. Generally, it would take about fifteen minutes for each med bay to run through the basic check up and inoculations on each person. With over a hundred and fifty people to get through it was going to take, now, the best part of twelve hours just to get them processed and ready for augmentation and ‘improvements’.

“Sir.” Alex turned away from the Captain and was immediately joined by Private Nguyen as he made his way across the vast hold to where Rebecca had their family waiting.

Alex passed his arm around Rebecca and pulled her in tight. “Looks like I’m still in charge, at least for now,” he said. “I’ve got something to do that’s going to take five or six hours so Rebecca can you look after the family? Get those things that Captain Roberts needs -- ID cards and what have you -- and then you and the Private here,” he indicated his shadow, “get everyone accommodated in the pods. Remember what the boss said, that each volunteer gets a pod for his family, that means both you and I get a pod.”

Alex paused to take a breath, then finished off, “If you put seven of us, and four of his volunteers,” he indicated the Private, “in each ring, that should mix them up enough to start with. Any problems we’ll sort out later.”

Rebecca gave him a hug and turned to the Oriental Private, “Shall we get started?”

Leaving them, Alex headed for the green door and the first step in his conversion to a member of the Confederacy military.


“How is it going, Emily?”

Sergeant Horn looked at her boss with a frown. “Much confusion, but it’s settling down a bit. What do you think about it?”

“Not good at all, at either end of this tub.” He looked around, ensuring that none of the volunteers were too near, “The front end is having a rough time of it as they’re having some problem with pressurization which is popping everyone’s ears at the moment. Back here we’ve got a bunch of Orientals over from the Chiang who’ll be taking some of the slots we had originally. We’ve got about a dozen slots left to fill, probably in a couple of days, then it’s off into the wild blue yonder -- which got a little bit wilder whilst you were sleeping.”

Emily Horn shrugged off the barbed comment and asked, “Wilder, in what way?”

“This lot are now earmarked for a new colony world.”

Emily looked to the ceiling, “And where is this new colony world?”

Dave smiled, “Don’t worry Ems, it’s still in Poseidon, but it’s the third planet. After we’ve dumped this lot we get to go back to Persephone, so you’ll get your leg over before we do our next tour.”

Emily bashed him on the arm and grinning added, “It won’t just be me that’s getting their ashes hauled will it?”

“It better not be.” He replied with an answering grin.

Looking around she asked, “So what do we do here?”

“At the moment I’ve got the senior kid getting a translator, he’s going to need it to look after everyone. There’s no one in the Orientals who’s got any command experience, so, though they’re older than he is, I’ve stitched him up as the boss.”

“As they’re all going to the same place I’m trying to get them integrated as a single community. According to the plans the puzzle palace have released our two groups are creating townships around the core infrastructure which has been established.”

Emily butted in, “Already established? I’d not heard of anything on three when we left.”

“From the little the AIs have been able to scrape together it seems that the atmosphere on three had the same bug as on six. When they figured out what it was it meant that three became viable. The basic pods were already in position to create six townships, they just hadn’t been deployed. By the time we get there this lot should only be under domes for about six weeks before they’re free to spread their wings.”

“For now we need to get this lot through medical screening, recover the kids and get the initial briefings out of the way. Once these are tidied away we can get the last batch of volunteers and then high tail it home.”

“So for now it’s just be available and make sure no one gets lost.”

“You’ve got it.” He said, “And whilst you’re doing that I’m going to get my head down for a couple of hours.”


The initial briefings began after everyone had made an initial pass through the med bays and, as normal on extraction flights, kicked off the usual shit storm as people suddenly found out just how much they’d given away to get a sponsor. Many had offered sex as an inducement but now found that the sponsor could take it whenever they wanted and tough if you didn’t like it, though many, drones and volunteers alike, didn’t realize just how tough that could be, not deep down inside where it really mattered.

In some instances the volunteers were briefed separately from the drones and the talk on responsibility was one of those occasions. It was emphasized to the volunteers that they were responsible for any actions of their drones. The drone wouldn’t be punished by the authorities, the volunteer would. If the volunteer didn’t maintain discipline then they would suffer. The volunteers were also introduced to the stinger, the generally non-lethal means of controlling people who got out of hand. It looked like a set of brass knuckles with a spike sticking out from the middle. The firing button fell, naturally, under the thumb when the fist was closed. Each volunteer was shot with it, as an example of what it did before they were allowed to draw one for their own use. A lot of them swore never to use it after they’d had their insides flipped by the electric shock.

The general briefing also introduced them to their new home, the pod. These where the very ones they were occupying for the journey. The briefing explained how the pod would be deployed to the planets surface and would open up to effectively create a sphere around them, most of this sphere would comprise of a force dome above and below the physical habitat.

This space would become a controlled environment for the volunteer and her family but, as more than one of the drones noticed, it was only the volunteers that could move around the habitat freely. The drones movement was limited by the will of their sponsor.

The grounded pods would be linked by short walkways, initially underground so that they could be sealed against ingress of the planets ecosystem. Construction robots would expand this network but it was a slow and resource hungry task and would take a long time before it expanded beyond the bare minimum required for the colonists to get by.

Once the pods were firmly established the volunteers would begin basic training in their assigned employment. The rest of the population would be expected to do whatever was required to improve the habitat and over time, the general living environment.

As industry was added to the township employment opportunities would occur, these would be filled from the non-volunteers who could be released by their sponsors. Schools would be established as they became necessary. Medical, power and sanitation systems were already in position before the pods landed and would be hooked up by remotes as soon as the pods had finished deploying.

Alex watched as people trooped out of one of the briefings. He listened as more than one of the girls who’d come up with his cadets gave vent to their anger at what they’d just been told. He glanced across at the Marine contingent by the far wall and noted that all of them had their stingers fitted. After a moments thought Alex returned to his pod and fitted his own.

In the end it was Mandy Simpson who provoked the first explosion. Only she and Bethany Williams knew what was said but after a couple of minutes of screaming at each other Bethany swung for the smaller woman. Emily Horn, who’d moved towards them as the noise levels had increased, dropped her long before she made contact. The young woman jerked, then dropped bonelessly to the floor, her body twitching with the after effects of a stinger strike.

Mandy stood over the fallen girl then turned to the Marine Sergeant and screamed, “Dump her, I don’t want her anymore, I’ll go one short.” Her face twisted with spite as she ranted.

Around the room, people froze as the impact of her words struck home, remembering the briefing they’d just left.

Alex had drifted over to join the group of Marines as the altercation had begun. Now he looked at the Marine Captain and asked, “I take it there’s nothing we can do?” His voice strained at the tension the incident had invoked.

“Not a lot,” The Captain replied, “If the girl is rejected by her sponsor she’s pushed to one side. We have a finite amount of time to get her relocated or else she’s dumped.”

“Dumped?”

“That’s right Alex,” the Captain said, “dumped.” He paused to let that sink in, “This close to Earth I’d aim to get her returned to the planet but if this happened a week from now the stupid bitch would just be thrown out of the hatch into deep space.” He looked the young man in the eyes, “And take it from me, that is not a nice way to die.”

Alex looked on as the unconscious Bethany was carried away and a space opened up around Mandy, as though she had the plague. ‘Not a good start,’ he thought, ‘not a good start at all.’


Alex got his first real chance to use his Universal translator shortly after that incident. Private Nguyen bought one of the Oriental guys over to see him.

“Sir, this is Kam Ho. He feels that he may have a problem and would like your advice.” Said the Private in Chinese, Alex could just hear the words but a clear voice spoke in English in his ear. It was a little disconcerting because it was only the spoken words that were hard to hear, all other sounds came through clearly. ‘Must be some sort of negative feed back as the translation is performed,’ he thought. It only helped him understand, he still couldn’t speak the language and until everyone was fitted with a translator there would still be a need for Private Nguyen and his two compatriots.

Alex vaguely recollected that with Chinese names the first part was the Family name and the second bit was the same as his Christian name, but he decided against taking chances and possibly insulting the man. “Yes Sir, how may I help?”

“Please call me John,” the Oriental said and, no doubt seeing Alex surprised look paused to explain, “I’m from Taiwan, most of us there have Anglicized names which we used for business meetings.” Alex nodded in understanding, allowing John to continue.

“I have four females, as my concubines -- unfortunately I find that I do not get along with one of them. I would like to have her replaced but I don’t want to do it the way the young woman did earlier. As the head of this colony I am putting the matter in your hands.” He concluded with a slight bow.

Alex pondered for a moment, “Does the replacement have to be an Oriental or would you accept a Westerner?”

John smiled, “Whatever you decide I will attempt to make work, Sir.” He said but something in his look made it clear that he was more than prepared to accept a Westerner.

“I need to give the matter some thought, I will get back to you as soon as possible with, hopefully, several options.” Alex fought the impulse to bow.

As the two Orientals walked away Alex crossed over to Captain Roberts, seeking information and advice.

“Sir, can I ask a few questions?”

“Go ahead Alex, it’s one of the reasons I’m here, you know.”

“I suppose it’s all about the drones Sir. How many spares did you bring up with you and what happens to them and whoever they replace when it’s time for us to go?” The young man asked.

“Grab a seat son, this could take awhile.” As the two made themselves comfortable Dave Roberts got his thoughts into line. This always had the potential to be a problem and more than one volunteer had ended up alone at the far end of the trip. There was some leeway but not a great deal. “As it happens, we don’t have any spares as you call them, along. I know that’s not normal but neither is how organized you were, when we came to get you. If the Chinese had any extras I’m guessing that they’re still on the Chiang because they didn’t bring any here.”

“So the only spare we have, at the moment is Bethany and unless people are rejected that’s all we’ll have.”

“Not really,” said Dave, “we still have carrying capacity so we will be making at least one, and possibly two, more extractions. If things go as normal we will be picking up extras at that time. Why all these questions?”

“One of the Orientals guys has been to see me, it appears he’s not happy with one of his women and wants her replaced. What he doesn’t want is a screaming match in the middle of the deck so he’s dropped the problem in my lap and I’m trying to find out what the options are.” Alex looked the Marine in the eye before stating, “You still haven’t told me what happens to those who aren’t picked up, have you?”

“You got the official answer when your friend dumped her concubine and officially that is the only answer there is. However, what has happened in the past is that those who don’t find sponsors end up going around with the extraction parties and I’m sure you can figure out how they are used.” Dave watched as Alex went pale. “I’ve told you before, this is not an easy new life, it’s hard and often dirty but that is part of the job. Don’t like it, tough, you volunteered.”

Alex got thoughtful, then asked, “What do you think would happen if I took in an extra, one over my limit so to speak. Would you come and drag them out before we were disembarked?”

“I really don’t know,” said Dave, “hang on a sec.” He consulted his AI and slowly got an amused look on his face. “Well, I never.” He smiled at Alex, “You know, it has happened. Twice so far, and in each case the extra was allowed to land with the volunteer.” Dave looked thoughtful alongside the cadet. “I wonder just how many they’d let you get away with?” He mused.

His eyes shot open, “I see,” he said. He turned his attention back to Alex, “Don’t try it with more than one, if you do, they will pull out concubines at random until you are down to the correct number and eject the excess immediately.”

That stopped their conversation as they absorbed the impact of their discovery and the warning that came with it.

Alex recovered enough to get back to his original problem, “So, at the moment, we have one spare, Bethany. In a couple of days we may have a couple more but no guarantees and, as a last resort I could take one extra down to Demeter with me.”

The Marine looked him in the eye, “That’s about the long and the short of it.”

Alex stood, “Is there any problem with me having a word with Bethany?”

“None at all, she’s just a body as far as we’re concerned.” He pointed towards the last row of pods, “She’s locked in pod C1, help yourself.”

“Thanks Captain.” Alex made his way to the third ring of pods and the one spare female in this half of the ship. He had an idea but he didn’t think Bethany would like it, then again, he didn’t figure she’d like the alternatives either.

He walked in the pod and found Bethany slumped in one of the chairs in the living area, she glanced over at him and looked away.

Alex barked, “Stand up!”

Bethany glared at him from her position in the chair, “Fuck you.” Her attitude implied the finger was raised even if she didn’t make the gesture.

“That’s one option,” Alex said and watched as the angry flush went pale, “the other is to just throw you overboard.”

“They’re not going to do that.” Bethany said.

“Don’t you believe it, the current plan is to get rid of the excess baggage,” Alex stated. “You are, currently, surplus to requirements and unless someone else takes you in, you’re off the ship.”

“No way, I’ve been extracted, they’ll take me with them.” Bethany said, but she didn’t sound so sure any more.

“You really think so?” Alex looked at the ceiling, “AI, what is the procedure for dealing with those rejected by their sponsors?”

A speaker came to life and a female voice responded. “If the rejectee cannot find a new sponsor within a reasonable time frame they are ejected from the ship. If a planet is convenient, they will be placed there, if not they will spaced.” There was no inflection in the voice, just a simple statement of the chilling facts.

Alex glanced at Bethany before asking, “What is considered a reasonable time frame for finding a new sponsor?”

“At the present moment in time a period of 48 Earth hours is being considered as a reasonable time frame for the rejectee to find a new sponsor.” The voice answered.

Lowering his eyes, Alex asked, “So Bethany, how long has it been since Mandy chucked you out?”

Bethany was very pale; the realization that she could actually be dumped shook her to the core. “What did you say?” She muttered.

“I asked how long has it been since Mandy rejected you?” Said Alex patiently.

“I, uhh, I’m not sure.” The confused girl replied.

Alex looked at the ceiling and thought to himself, I really should stop doing that, before asking “AI, how long has it been since Bethany was rejected by Mandy?”

“Two hours, eleven minutes, thirty two seconds,” answered the voice.

Alex dropped into a seat opposite Bethany, “So, at the moment, you have less than forty six hours to find a new sponsor, and just to make it more interesting, all of the sponsors, with the exception of Mandy, have their full quota of concubines. Could make it a bit of a challenge, don’t you think?” He asked.

The two of them sat there staring at each other, Alex waiting for Bethany to do something, Bethany stunned at how stark her future had become. Alex was patient, he needed Bethany to make the first step before he could offer her any sort of alternatives.

Bethany raised her eyes from her lap, “I suppose you have an offer?” she asked diffidently.

“Not an offer, Bethany,” Alex said, “at best it’s an opportunity and probably not much of one then. You’d have to give up the way you act, not just pretend but change completely. If you can’t do that, I wouldn’t even consider the opportunity. If you fuck this up the guy will beat you and nobody, but nobody, would do a damn thing about it.”

Bethany was watching him like he was a snake, too dangerous to trust but also the only option. Alex continued, “Chuck in the fact that he’s one of the Orientals and you’ll probably have race problems on top of your attitude problem to deal with. Do you really think you can handle all that?”

Alex watched on as Bethany dug deep down inside herself, and then as she came back out again. A trace of a smile graced her face before she nodded. “Yes,” she said, “I can and will change, I’ve got to, really, haven’t I?” She finished.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.