Bird Song - Cover

Bird Song

Copyright© 2007 by Scotland-the-Brave

Chapter 32: POTUS

Action/Adventure Sex Story: Chapter 32: POTUS - Terrorist attack against the world creates an opportunity for young romance and courage beyond measure.

Caution: This Action/Adventure Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   mt/Fa   ft/ft   Teenagers   Romantic   NonConsensual   Post Apocalypse   Incest   Interracial   Voyeurism  

Once again the Chief Justice lifted the phone and carried out an act that at the very least would have been viewed by his fellow Justices, the media and the population at large as irregular. He connected with the White House and within less than a minute was talking directly to the President.

"Chief Justice Roberts, what can I do for you?" asked POTUS.

"It's more what I can do for you Mr President. It might sound unbelievably quick, but SCOTUS has reached a preliminary judgement on the petition filed by Sir David Manning. We will be posting a slip opinion on the Supreme Court web site tomorrow, but I thought you might appreciate a heads-up," said Roberts.

"Well that's downright neighbourly of you John. I appreciate it," replied POTUS.

"The key findings we will publish are: that there is ample precedent to show that the Scots people can select a new King; that the Administration is within its rights to deny accreditation to Sir David; and that so long as a state of emergency exists, the Act forbidding international travel is not unconstitutional.

"I do have to say that the need for a state of emergency was hotly debate Mr President. The one thing that swayed the vote on that was the fact that no one can guarantee how safe other countries now are as a destination. With no governments or recognised military it's unclear whether any foreign country is now safe to travel to.

"The one fly in your ointment sir, if I may be so bold, is that SCOTUS also voted and found that there are no grounds for the Administration denying travel to foreign nationals. The state of emergency argument doesn't stand up for that group," the Chief Justice concluded.

"John, as I say, I really appreciate this, particularly those last points. The first two are somewhat academic as it seems our forces have already shot down and killed the boy who was selected as the King of Scots, his status and that of his Ambassador becomes somewhat moot," said President Bush.

There was a moment's silence on the other end of the line as the Chief Justice absorbed this news. Then he spoke again.

"Mr President, I'm afraid the last thing we voted on was whether the Administration had the authority to send troops into the UK. We agreed that it would require congressional approval to do so - King or no King. The UK is a recognised sovereign state and the Administration would need to be invited to send troops, otherwise it would need to be regarded as invasion sir. The only exception we could see to that would be if there was evidence of a clear and present danger to the US. I hope that whatever has been done so far is deniable sir, because once we publish our slip opinion, questions are going to be asked," said Roberts.

The Chief Justice wound up the call fairly quickly after that, concerned about what the President had told him. The ramifications of illegally invading a country, the country of a trusted ally no less, and of killing that country's monarch, were alarming to say the least. He decided that for the moment he had to behave as if he hadn't been given that information, but he knew the shit was about to hit the fan.


POTUS was just as exercised by what he had heard from Chief Justice Roberts and he called for his White House Chief of Staff. Once Bolton appeared, the President cleared the room of all but the obligatory Secret Service detail before speaking to his advisor.

"Joshua, don't ask me how I know, but the Supreme Court is going to publish its opinion on Sir David Manning's petition tomorrow. Its findings could put us in a world of hurt and we need to take action now to try and head of the worst of it," said POTUS.

"Sir, I've got to tell you that your numbers are already tumbling badly. The people are not taking too kindly to how we're playing this whole thing with the UK, particularly the expats aspect. Our polls put you at an all time low. Why don't you tell me how it's going to get worse?" asked Bolton.

The President paused for a moment to gather his thoughts. He hadn't as yet shared the information about Jamie being shot down with his Chief of Staff and that, allied to what Chief Justice had just told him, would undoubtedly give Joshua a hissy fit.

"Joshua, yesterday a Special Forces team was dispatched to secure the Faslane naval base in Scotland. The advice I received indicated that there are Trident missiles stored at the base and I believe it is imperative to safeguard against terrorists getting their hands on them. We already have the example of them taking over a nuclear submarine at the base, although that was sunk. Electronic intelligence makes it clear they are actively looking for these missiles.

"When the SF arrived at Faslane, the boy calling himself King of Scots was already there in a Lynx helicopter and a convoy of terrorists was just arriving at the base too. It seems the Lynx fired a TOW missile at the terrorists and one of the helicopters carrying the Green Berets opened up on it, bringing it down. Reports say that no one got out of the Lynx alive, so it appears as if the King of Scots is dead," the President said.

His Chief of Staff's face had been growing increasingly pale as the story unfolded.

"Oh god, this is going to go down like the proverbial lead balloon," he groaned.

"Oh, it gets worse. Tomorrow the Supreme Court will publish its opinion on Manning's petition. They will say that there are grounds to confirm the selection of the boy as monarch is legal. While they will back our right not to accredit the Ambassador and to ban international travel, they will say we have no right to stop the expatriates from travelling. Worst of all, they will say that we have no authority to send troops into the UK without prior approval by Congress," said POTUS.

Bolton had picked up on the President's reference to Jamie as 'the King of Scots' and had wondered why he was affording him that title. That had quickly been cleared up when the President had explained the Supreme Court findings in his very next breath. Now he knew the worst of it. The President had apparently sent troops into the UK illegally and while they were there they had killed a fifteen-year-old monarch. Things couldn't get any worse than this.

"Mr President, this is all bad, very bad. We know the boy, sorry, the King of Scots has been playing really well with the American people. They love him, sorry, loved him. He played to all that they hold good - courage in the face of great adversity, a true patriot, wanting to stand on his own two feet and fight his own battles. Man, our people have been lapping this up. I'm afraid if it comes out that we have ended his life and done so while illegally invading his country - despite him warning us off I might add - I don't know if we can avoid the opposition looking for impeachment," Bolton said.

Now it was the President's turn to look pale.

"We need to come up with some damage limitation measures Joshua. I will not go down in the history of our country as a President who suffered the humiliation of impeachment," said POTUS.

"To do that you need to give me something to work with Mr President," Bolton replied.

"Well, there are a couple of aspects of SCOTUS's opinion that we might be able to use. They are likely to say that the ban on travel should stay because there is no way to guarantee that any foreign destination would be safe. They will not extend that to the expatriates, but we could perhaps use it to stall. They might also say that we wouldn't need Congress backing to send in troops if there was a clear and present danger. I'm content that the presence of Trident missiles at Faslane represents such a danger and that could be used to at least justify our presence."

"Okay, we can work with that. I'm afraid the death of the King is a kicker though. I don't see how we can play that one. I would advise it's important to get your retaliation in first sir, before SCOTUS publishes its opinion. It has been a while since you addressed the nation, today might be a good day to put that right," suggested Bolton.

Both knew that time was of the essence and staffers were directed to set up a live broadcast while POTUS and Bolton worked on a script.

"Okay, you lead with an explanation about the travel ban and the danger of what might be waiting for our citizens at any destination they might be thinking of visiting. You make a concession by saying that you have decided to allow the expatriates to return to the UK, but only when you're sure it will be safe for them to do so. Currently there is no guarantee that planes won't be taken down by terrorists as they land. So - give them what they want, the right to go back, but stall them by saying we need more intelligence.

"Now, King James has already opened up the Trident issue by showing footage of himself sinking a nuclear submarine. The public has been able to see that on his web site. So, that introduces the clear and present danger and you advise the nation that you have used that to direct troops to secure the Faslane base.

"Here comes the difficult bit. We have to pitch this just right. You tell the nation that you accept the legitimacy of Jamie as King of Scots and confirm the accreditation of his Ambassador. You repeat your offer to help the thousands of teenagers still at risk from the terrorists and you add that US troops on the ground would speed up the point at which the expatriates will be able to return safely to the UK. Then you have to introduce the terrible accident that has led to King James' death. You have to focus on the major issue being the safety of the kids that remain, maybe we should add your regret that King James didn't take up your offer earlier as that would have allowed us to protect him," said Bolton.

POTUS was nodding, concentrating on the key points he would need to deliver and getting the correct tone and facial expressions fixed in his head.

"I still think you'll take a hammering in the polls, but at least there are no grounds for impeachment and we might just be able to turn things round if we can get troops in and clear up the terrorists. Maybe you could announce a package of aid to help the UK begin to rebuild in the aftermath of ending the terrorist threat?" Bolton suggested.

The President liked this last idea and decided he would quickly come up with an impressive number with the Secretary of the Treasury.


A young staffer had been pulled in to type up the speech the President was planning to give and the White House Chief of Staff was dictating the words to her. In the briefing room, the US media were beginning to gather. Live broadcasts to the nation were still something of a rarity and they sensed something important was about to be shared with them.

The President was announced and he strode into the briefing room and directly to the lectern bearing his seal of office. As he placed his notes onto the lectern, another senior advisor approached the Chief of Staff and whispered urgently into his ear. Bolton immediately approached POTUS and he in turn whispered to the President.

"Mr President - you have mail. This is something you need to see at once," he said.

The press were a little bemused as the President was rushed back out of the briefing room and a staffer apologised and informed them there would be a slight delay.

POTUS stared at Jamie's latest e-mail and quickly read his words. He realised he had just dodged a bullet and immediately began making changes to the speech he had prepared. This changed everything. Without the need to announce the death of the boy King, the chances were he could turn this broadcast into a major positive announcement, one that could well help him turn his dip in the polls around. He smiled widely and saw that Joshua Bolton was also looking mightily relieved.

President Bush returned to the briefing room and once more took his place at the lectern. He looked up to take his cue to confirm he was now broadcasting live and saw the various red lights blinking on the cameras.

"Ladies and gentlemen, apologies for the slight delay.

"My fellow Americans, I want to take this opportunity to talk to you about the terrible atrocity that has been visited on the world as we know it. Every country around the globe apart from the US and Canada has been struck down by terrorist attacks and the scale of those who have been killed is unimaginable.

"The diligent efforts of our own security services is all that has stood between ourselves and a similar fate and I thank them for their work.

"In these terrible times I know many of you, like me, have been following the incredible response of one young man to the awful predicament he finds himself. That young man is known variously as Highlander on his web site or by his given name of James MacLaren. Let me be the first to recognise him by his new title - James VIII, King of Scots.

POTUS paused to allow the sudden excited chatter amongst the press to subside. It was most unusual for the President to be interrupted during a speech, but he smiled at them with his 'understanding' face on before beginning again.

"The King of Scots has shown great courage. Great courage in standing up to the terrorists that remain active in the UK, some might say great courage in accepting the burden of responsibility that becoming monarch will surely bring.

"As well as recognising his position, this morning I want to offer King James some tangible support. I am pleased to announce that the US has withdrawn its travel ban with regard to UK citizens. As soon as we can show that it is safe to allow these people to return we will let them. I know King James has been looking for this for some weeks and I hope our change in policy is of some comfort to him.

"I would also like to repeat my offer of military support for the UK. US troops on the ground would surely bring forward the date when the UK citizens in this country will be able to return safely. To help improve communications between my Administration and King James, I can confirm this morning that the State Department has ratified the accreditation of Sir David Manning as the King of Scots' Ambassador to the United States.

"King James has already dealt with one significant threat by sinking a nuclear submarine at the Faslane naval base, many of you will have watched the film showing the courage in great measure the King personally displayed in carrying out that attack. My fellow Americans, I have to say that the Faslane base, in my view, remains a clear and present danger to US security. There are Trident missiles stored at that base and even as we speak terrorists are actively trying to get their hands on those missiles. Because of that very real danger I have authorised US Special Forces troops to secure the base and the missiles.

"I know his Grace will be upset at the presence of our troops, but I feel I have no other choice given the gravity of the potential threat. I am happy to be able to tell you that the Green Berets have been successful in eliminating a terrorist force that was at the Faslane base. They have secured the missile store and will now ensure no one can access what is a nuclear capability.

"Finally, can I end this broadcast by telling you that America doesn't forget who her friends are. The UK has stood shoulder to shoulder with us in conflicts around the world. Today I can announce an initial package of $100 billion in aid to help with the extensive re-building effort that will be required to get our friend the United Kingdom back on her feet. King James, we want to help you sir."

As soon as the President finished his prepared speech, the press followed the well-known pecking order for asking their questions and they were called one at a time.

"Mr President doesn't the deployment of US forces to the UK require Congressional approval?" asked the first sharp-witted journalist.

The President kept his smile firmly on his face as he answered.

"I think you'll find that my authority extends to taking such decisions where there is a clear and present danger to the US and her citizens. I can't think of what could be regarded as more of a clear and present danger than nuclear weapons in the hands of terrorists," he replied.

A barrage of other questions was fired at POTUS and he handled them all with ease. Then the President found himself put firmly and very publicly on the spot.

"Mr President, Marsha Kibble, KYB New York. Sir, as you've announced that UK citizens are now free to travel and the only impediment is being able to guarantee their safety, I'm assuming that the submarine HMS Vengeance will be allowed so sail back to the UK immediately. The sailors who crew that boat are UK citizens and surely there can be no doubts about ensuring their safety?"

POTUS couldn't see an easy way out of answering the question and he knew any hesitation would be seen as a sign that he wasn't in control of things. On live TV he wanted to avoid that more than anything else.

"Marsha, the order to release the submarine is already being processed," he replied.

The journalist smiled. She had had her moment and was sure she had just forced a concession out of the President.

Quickly thereafter, POTUS wound up the briefing, anxious to avoid any further difficult questions. He swept from the room and made his way back to the Oval Office, his face now showing just how angry he was at having to concede the release of the UK submarine.

He gave the order to make sure the submarine was released as soon as possible, knowing the press would be all over that decision and would watch like hawks to make sure he followed through on what he had said. Once that was in train he dropped down at his computer to compose a response to the remarkable young man who he had just acknowledged as the King of Scots.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.