Surviving 2 - Cover

Surviving 2

Copyright© 2007 by Scotland-the-Brave

Chapter 9: Summer 874 AD, Strathclyde and Moray

Time Travel Sex Story: Chapter 9: Summer 874 AD, Strathclyde and Moray - Scott continues to try and survive in ninth century Scotland.

Caution: This Time Travel Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/ft   Interracial   Black Female  

Murdoch mac Duff was ecstatic. His lands cleared of Saxons for the first time in almost two years. He was fulsome in his praise of Scott and the Dalriada men. Despite the fact that his land had been occupied for so long, sufficient beasts were found to have a celebration that evening. Scott sat with Gabrain and his captains listening to mac Duff bemoan the sorry state of his lands.

"It is probably too late for planting grain this season and the Saxons have used up all the reserves my camps would have put away. It is like to be a rough winter in Fife this year."

"That need not be the case Murdoch," said Scott, deliberately adopting a more familiar tone, "perhaps we can help on the grain front - if you have something else that you could use in trade?"

"I'm afraid I will need a lot of grain Scott, more than a lordship could spare I am sure. But what little you can spare me I would gladly have."

"Oh, I'm sure I can supply all the grain that you'll need," replied Scott, "perhaps if you could spare me some horses and grant me something else that intrigues me, we could strike a bargain?"

"How can you have such quantities of grain to spare man? I will happily trade you horses for grain. But what is this other thing that you seek?" Replied mac Duff.

"As to the first, send your land stewards to Dalriada and we will show them how to improve the yield from your own soil. As to the other matter, I couldn't help notice the number of merchant ships that seem to pass up and down the great Forth Water beyond Dùn Fearam Linn. Where do they go?"

"It is said that there is great trade on the far side of the Forth Water, ships bringing metals and other goods from the Low Countries across the sea. Why are you interested in these?" Asked mac Duff.

"I see security and prosperity in effective trade. Alliances for times of trouble, a broader range of goods and resources available for our people." Scott replied.

"I see, and what would you have of me?"

"See you, by virtue of where your lands are situated, it would seem that you have the easier access to these continental merchants. Loarne is on the other side of Scotland and a great many days sailing to get to this east coast, some of it through the Norse strongholds in the Orcades and the like. Yet by land your coast is only three or four days ride from Loarne. If you would but establish a port here, on this side of the Forth Water, we could both benefit from it I say." Said Scott.

"Mac Duff is no trader my Lord!" Replied Murdoch.

"Aye, maybe that's the case Murdoch, but what have we just agreed with regard to the grain? Is that not trading? And done to ensure your people can eat, can survive the coming winter? What shame is there in that? Am I, mac Fergus, any less the man because I wish to trade? If you think so then perhaps we need to have a trial of strength we two?" Scott challenged the other.

"Not that my Lord, be not so hot man. I meant no insult to you Scott. There is perhaps merit in what you say but I will need to think on it further."

Scott was satisfied that he had at least planted the seeds of the idea in mac Duff's mind and left it there for the present. He was thinking that he would need to resurrect his construction of wagons if he was going to transport sufficient grain to Fife to see mac Duff through the winter. He had only managed to construct one prototype at Aird Driseig before the Viking raid had destroyed all. Now he would need to get his Loarne craftsmen on the job and quickly.

Thinking of wagons reminded him of his plan to try and secure a supply of coal from the open cast mines of Ayrshire. Perhaps it was also time to return to that project too. He believed the land where coal could be found easily was under the control of Eochaid, Prince of Strathclyde and he knew that he would be passing close to his capital of Dun Barton on his way back to Oban. Perhaps he should pay a visit to Eochaid?

Before leaving Fife Scott shared his ideas for sea defences with Murdoch. He explained how a string of coastal fortresses could mutually support each other and how stakes and booms could help defeat the Norse from ever getting ashore to harry the land. He also explained how oil could be used to set the very sea on fire and how effective that had proven against the Vikings in the past. Murdoch was much impressed with these ideas and declared he would set his men to constructing such defences at once.

Scott had already sent the majority of his men back to their lordships, along with Lachlan and Colmgil. By the time his remaining mounted force was ready to leave Fife, Scott and mac Duff had become good friends and Murdoch was disappointed they were finally leaving.

"Be not long in coming back to visit Scott, you will always find a welcome in Fife." He said as they were parting.

"My thanks Murdoch. I will send word as to the shipping of grain later in the year. In the meantime, don't forget my suggestion about building a port here." Replied Scott as he swung himself up onto his horse.

At the head of just over one hundred horsed men, Scott and Gabrain waved their last farewells and headed for home.

As they rode, Scott outlined his suggestion that they pay a call on Strathclyde and why. Gabrain agreed such a move could be useful and was all for it. They varied their line of travel therefore, passing through Strath Allan and making for Stirling. They picked a careful passage across the River Forth and the marshland, or 'carse', that surrounded it and rode southwest, over the Campsie Hills and directly towards Dun Barton.

They were met as the neared the great Dun Barton rock itself, a company of men riding out to enquire who they were and what their business was. The men eyed them suspiciously until they explained that they were new come from cleansing Fife of Saxons and that they were in fact the King of Dalriada and the Lord of Loarne. Scott's reputation and fame had spread here too and he was immediately acclaimed as the Norse-slayer. Thereafter they were taken up the rock, to the hill-fort on its summit and here met Eochaid himself.

He explained that he was preparing to ride to the aid of the High King, messages having been received that one of his own sons, Donald, was trying to unseat Constantine from his throne. He hoped he could intercede and avoid battle between them, bringing his warlike son to heel. Eochaid suggested that if they had matters to discuss with him that perhaps they should join him on his journey up into Moray? The presence of another of the Ri and the Norse-slayer might be helpful he thought in sobering his son and turning him from his foolish path. Scott and Gabrain readily agreed and sent most of their force on to Oban to take messages. They kept a small group of twenty or so as guards and set out with Eochaid for the journey north.

Their route was awe-inspiring but difficult. Up through Strath Tay and across Atholl before winding their way through the Grampian and Cairngorm Mountains. Scott revelled in the early summer weather and the glorious, if daunting mountain scenery. As they rode he raised the subject of securing coal from Ayrshire. Eochaid was very offhand in his response - indicating that the area was largely lawless and if Scott felt the need to visit it and could defend himself then he was welcome to do so. Scott found the older man somewhat blunt and just a little too direct for his liking but managed to remain civil enough as they followed the River Garry northwards across Atholl and then the River Spey through the mountains.

With his objective achieved Scott simply enjoyed the rest of the journey with Gabrain. At the foot of Strat Spey they forked slightly northwest and eventually crossed the miles of Drummossie Muir, now nearing Inver Ness. Here on the banks of the River Ness, winding its way down to the great Moray Firth, they found the High King with a host of around four thousand men. As they rode up Constantine recognised Eochaid and he made directly for them.

"Strathclyde! Your brat has gone too far this time. I mean to teach the pup a lesson he won't forget in a hurry, teach him who is master in this Scotland!"

Eochaid paled under this verbal onslaught, but to his credit he responded firmly enough.

"Your Grace, I am sorrowed that one of my own should be in open rebellion. If you will but give me a few days I am sure I can talk some sense into the boy."

"Talk some sense into him? Are you mad man, I want his head for this, will never again be able to turn my back on the man without waiting for him to stick a dirk in it!"

Just then a small band of mounted men came galloping along the riverbank. They drew to a halt and their leader made a rushed report to the High King.

"Your Grace, he is dead, Donald mac Eochaid, dead, slain by one of his own captains!"

"What foolishness is this man, do you dare cozen me? Is this some ploy of the pup to escape my wrath?"

"Not so your Grace, we have it from the mouth of the man who struck the blow, have seen the body ourselves."

The man broke off as he heard the strangled cry escaping from Eochaid's lips. Eochaid's face had turned pale and haunted as he whipped his horse's head around and galloped off, presumably to investigate his son's death. Constantine questioned the messenger further but it seemed definite enough. Donald had apparently started a drunken argument with one of his captains and, in a rage, the man had pulled a dirk from his belt and stabbed Donald once in the chest, killing him. For the High King it almost seemed as if this was an anticlimax, as if he had been looking forward to testing his strength against the other.

Scott tried to give him an update on all that had transpired in Fife but Constantine hardly seemed interested. Another sign of Kingly fickleness perhaps? When Scott suggested that there was little reason for Gabrain and himself to long remain at Inver Ness, Constantine agreed and all but dismissed them. The pair re-joined their little party of horsemen and set off for Oban, glad to be out of the rancorous atmosphere.

On this leg of their journey they crossed over the River Ness and followed the banks of Loch Ness south-westwards. The loch ran for over twenty miles before it narrowed and only a thin strip connected it to Loch Lochy. The crossed here and rode via Kinlochleven, and down the length of Loch Etive until they reached Loarne once more.

Scott spent the next few days simply relaxing after so much travel. He visited the shipyard and was delighted to see the finishing touches were now being applied to the last of the ten new longships. He told his shipwrights to launch eight but to hold two back as he might want to play with their design a little. He immediately tasked one of the new ships with taking six handpicked men north to try to gain intelligence on what the Vikings might be up to.

He was amused when he went to look out over a field of grain and found that little groups of Loarne people were coming to look on it too, but with amazement, amazement at seeing so much grain being grown in the one place at the one time. To them this represented vast wealth, food for many years and this more than anything perhaps raised Scott's standing as a worthy lord indeed.

He was also delighted to see the, admittedly much smaller, crops of carrot, onion and cabbage doing well. He knew that he would be able to gradually increase the amount he grew as his seed store improved year on year. He had also encouraged his monks to cultivate the berry canes that up until now had grown wild on the edges of woodland. Now there were neat serried rows of raspberry and blackberry, well tended and beginning to flower. The monks were keen to show him how well his vines were flourishing too, but he was dismayed to see monks toiling up the terraced hill with buckets of water to keep the plants watered. He reminded himself that he had planned to harness the Archimedes Screw to help with this and promised that he would set that in train as soon as possible, to spare these churchmen the hard labour they were currently experiencing.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.