Surviving 2 - Cover

Surviving 2

Copyright© 2007 by Scotland-the-Brave

Chapter 20: 877 AD

Time Travel Sex Story: Chapter 20: 877 AD - Scott continues to try and survive in ninth century Scotland.

Caution: This Time Travel Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/ft   Interracial   Black Female  

Scott, Gabrain and Murdoch remained close to their men for the remainder of their time at Scone. Aed made no overt moves against them. It was unlikely, given the recent events that the northern Scots would have taken up arms against the Dalriada men anyway. The Dalriada forces intervention had saved many of them from the hands of the Norse. On the surface Aed was also full of praise for them, but the friends weren't taken in by the oily words from the new High King.

Giric seemed to be altogether different. While he had voted for Aed as the new High King, it was clear he didn't hold him in high esteem at all. It was possibly only the fact that they were related that had swayed his vote, or perhaps it was something rather more sinister Scott thought. He watched Giric and noticed how offhand he was with Aed, showing no real deference towards the High King. Scott thought through the position and realised that Aed's appointment re-inforced the line of Cinaed mac Alpin as having right to the High Kingship. First Cinaed's son Constantine and now another Cinaed son, Aed, had been the next in line to the throne. Of course, if Aed was somehow to fall... remaining with Cinaed's bloodline would put Giric in with a chance of the succession.

Scott shared his thinking with his friends and they agreed that there could be some sense to this. Giric supporting Aed might only be about strengthening his own claim on the Scots crown at some future date. Certainly Giric's manner towards Aed didn't suggest he thought of himself as in anyway Aed's subject. The position was further confused by the fact that the recently slain Constantine had left a son behind, still a mere boy, Donald mac Constantine.

In an attempt to consolidate his position, Aed had appointed his own son and heir, also called Constantine, as sub-King for the vacant lands of Fortrenn. The son was also still a minor. He also named Donald as the new sub-King in his own lands of Angus and the Mearns, following his assumption of the throne. In effect Aed would rule over both of these young boys' lands, controlling two of the sub-Kingdoms. If Giric did have designs on the throne then Aed and these boys could all be in danger.

Giric was friendly towards Scott and Gabrain, engaging them in conversation, clearly respecting Scott's reputation and achievements. They discussed tactics and various engagements with the Vikings and the Saxons. Giric had no real experience of fighting the Saxons and was keen to know whether they used different tactics or methods. He had plenty of experience with the Norse, not all of it good he had to admit, as the past year in particular had not been a happy one for the Scots in the north.

Giric's sub-Kingdom, that of Atholl, was in the very centre of the country and not normally subject to Viking raiding. The Norse success against Constantine and their growing numbers however, had meant they were increasingly penetrating his borders and he had been supporting Constantine as a way of keeping the Norse from his own door. Strong neighbours were the best safeguard anyone could get in these bloody, savage, violent times he believed, and now he seemed to be wooing Gabrain and especially Scott.

Scotland in the ninth century was made up of the land to the north of the Forth Water and the Clyde. The seven sub-Kingdoms were:

Fortrenn (Moray and Ross) - in the far north;
Buchan and Mar - in the northeast;
Angus and the Mearns - on the east coast below Buchan and Mar
Fife and Forthrith - Murdoch's lands;
Strathearn and Mentieth - bordering Murdoch's Fife and encompassing the territory across to Dalriada's borders;
Atholl - Giric's sub-Kingdom, in the centre of the land and to the north of Strathearn; and
Dalriada

The territory immediately north of Dalriada, encompassing the northwestern seaboard, were debatable lands, home to Norse and other wild men. Domnaill held the lands of Buchan and Mar and Scott now learned that Eochaid, who was the Prince of Strathclyde (not yet part of Scotland), also held the sub-Kingdom of Strathearn and Mentieth. Eochaid apparently was paying his sub-Kingdom little heed, one of the reasons perhaps that the Vikings were making repeated landings in this area.

Giric now discussed with Scott and Gabrain the absenteeism of Eochaid and how that was encouraging the Norsemen to penetrate deeper inland.

"Can you not prevail upon this Prince of Strathclyde to take his responsibilities as one of the Ri of Scotland more seriously?" He asked.

"I think this might have something to do with the death of his son. Perhaps it has soured his attitude towards this Scotland, he perhaps looks to keep himself to his lands in Strathclyde, keeping himself at arms reach of the High King of Scots, as Strathclyde is outwith Scotland. It may be that Constantine's death will change that but perhaps not, as Aed is of course Constantine's brother." Replied Scott.

"It may be that I would be well advised to pay the man a visit then, for I would have greater security if a strong hand held sway over my eastern borders!"

Scott caught a gleam in Giric's eye and wondered if he was making the connection between Eochaid's son's death and the possibility that the Prince of Strathclyde might be a future ally against Aed.

The fact that Giric had lands bordering Eochaid's Strathearn, and that the Norse were encroaching from there, provided an absolutely valid reason for him to call on Eochaid, but Scott didn't think that would be all that was discussed.

Scott hadn't known about Eochaid's position with regard to the Strathearn sub-Kingdom, the same area he had just led the Dalriada forces through and the same area that held Glen Almond where he had fought the Danes previously. He began to accept that Giric perhaps had a point and agreed that Eochaid needed to take action to better defend this territory. That would greatly improve Murdoch's security too. Not surprisingly, Murdoch also agreed this point.

Gabrain and Scott agreed to accompany Giric on a visit to Eochaid and they weren't long in taking their leave of Scone and Aed. Scott was a little surprised, but delighted, to see a number of Saltire flags flying amongst the northern Scots they were leaving behind. The spread of this symbol was hugely satisfying to him. He also still held the awe of having seen and touched the stone of destiny.

The majority of the Dalriada forces were sent back home, Gabrain and Scott keeping barely one hundred mounted men for the ride south, back to the Carse at Stirling and then southwest towards Dun Barton.

They found Eochaid perched atop his rock, inside his fort there. Scott decided to allow Gabrain and Giric make the running on this visit, his young prodigy now maturing into his position and better able to play his kingly role without Scott's open support. Scott was also better able to observe the by-play between Eochaid and Giric in this way and he watched for any signs that Giric was trying to enlist the other man's support for anything more than just the defence of his territories.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of a visit of not one, but two of the Ri of Alba?" Eochaid asked, almost contemptuously.

"We come to discuss your absenteeism from Strathearn my Lord, and the consequences of that on others in Scotland!" Gabrain replied firmly.

"I need no pup to tell me my duty, certainly not in my own keep!"

Scott was pleased to see that Gabrain didn't let this slight anger him.

"You say so my Lord, yet it is through your lands of Strathearn that much of the Viking raiding in the past year has been launched. Maybe this pup has the rights of it!" Gabrain responded, holding his ground.

"My Lord of Dalriada has a point Eochaid, my own lands suffer much due to the lack of a strong hand in Strathearn. I would have you take your responsibilities there more seriously." Giric added, but moderately.

"So, you would have me fight your battles for you then?" Eochaid responded.

"Not so my friend, I would but share the burden. See you, if properly marshalled, your lands there should be able to raise many men. I would stand by you in defeating the Norse, with you much the richer for getting the most out of a fertile and secure lordship."

Eochaid paused to look closely at Giric, measuring him.

"Aye that may well be, but see you, Giric, I want nothing to do with the poisonous seed of Cinaed mac Alpin, already I have suffered much at their hands!"

"Yet you seem to forget cousin, we are both stock of the same seed. Both of us had a daughter of Cinaed mac Alpin as our mothers I would remind you. Perhaps we could have more in common than blood in the future?"

Giric's use of 'cousin', and his reference to both his own and Eochaid's mothers was in fact accurate and Eochaid paused once more to think on that.

Scott had also caught the exchange and Giric's reference to the possibility of sharing something other than blood - a common cause perhaps, he thought? Was this Giric hinting at some bond, some compact between the two against Aed?

"Perhaps, but I have more to occupy my time than worrying about Norsemen in your savage north Giric, my own Strathclyde is increasingly assailed by Saxons, aye and Danes. The lands to the south, Ayr, Carrick, even Galloway, are broken lands and seem a breeding ground for trouble. My attention needs to be there, not distracted in Strathearn."

Scott sensed an opportunity here. His own knowledge of history told him that the lands Eochaid had just referred to would become part of Scotland, along with Eochaid's Strathclyde. He wondered whether this was a chance to hasten such an annexation. He spoke up for the first time.

"My Lords, perhaps there is an accommodation here that could suit all."

"Ah, the Norse-slayer has a tongue after all, I was beginning to wonder. All know your habit of hatching schemes. What would you have us at now?" Asked Eochaid.

Scott noticed that Gabrain and Giric were both looking at him expectantly too.

"What if I was to lead a force into these wild lands my Lord? What if Gabrain and I looked to subdue these - Ayr, Carrick and Galloway? Would you then be more disposed to dealing with your Strathearn lands?" Asked Scott.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.