More Than A Stretch! - Cover

More Than A Stretch!

Copyright© 2006 by bytemangler

Chapter 35

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 35 - The "Bits and Bytes" universe was introduced by Asa Strong with his "Bits, Bytes and Life" (BB&L) story, and much of this story takes place at the same government agency in the same time frame. There is more emphasis on computer hardware design. It is also the story of two young engineers. Steve works for the agency, and Sandy works for IBM. Most of the story takes place in Washington (at the agency) or Poughkeepsie N. Y. (at IBM).

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   First   Slow   School  

STEVE - Monday, January 8, 1962

First thing in the morning, Lou and Vlad were waiting for me in my office, and Lou asked, "Now can we get into what Reaper is all about?"

"Yes, but first, I need to give you some more background information. In September of 1960, I went to Poughkeepsie for what turned out to be a class on Stretch. The machine is very impressive, but when I got back here with the specifications and sat down with Sam, we realized that even the fastest machine in the world wasn't up to the job that we needed done. You'll learn a lot more about the job in a few weeks when your final clearances have been processed. Sam and I spent a lot of time on this, and eventually decided that we needed additional compute capability above and beyond what Stretch provided. Reaper was the result of that decision, and a lot of extremely hard work by the IBM design team. The key to its power is that, unlike a conventional computer, where there is only one operation going on at a time, there are several independent data paths that can operate concurrently."

I pulled out my first two diagrams, one of a conventional data flow, and the other a simplified view of Reaper's organization. "As you can see, there are more arithmetic registers than in a conventional machine, and several independent logic units. It would be almost impossible to design an instruction set, using a conventional model, to control all of these elements and anticipate all the combinations of operations and conditionals that we would want to use. As a consequence... ," and I pulled out my second set of diagrams. The first showed a conventional instruction format, with an operation code, perhaps some modifier bits, and addressing information. The other was a simplified view of the Reaper control word. I continued, "What we did was to design a very wide instruction word - we call it a 'control word' - with independent fields to control the different data paths, logic unit operations, and addressing modes and indexing."

Vlad's eyes lit up, and he exclaimed, "This looks like microprogramming!"

"Yes; it's very much the same. Sarah Wilson, at IBM, made that connection."

Lou asked, "Is that the Sarah Wilson who wrote the landmark paper about compiler design? How did she get involved in this?"

"She was part of the design group. She designed the assembler and also wrote a Reaper simulator that runs on Stretch. She's also been a very good friend."

"I'm really impressed. That paper was outstanding, and it was one of the main sources for my thesis at Cal Tech. I'd love to meet her sometime!"

We spent the rest of the week getting into the details of Reaper programming, using the assembler, and I gave them copies of my test suite. On Friday, I also told them about the 1604 and Isaac, telling them, "Isaac is a lot smarter than he looks. It's well worth your while to pay attention to anything he says. I learned this the hard way when I first got here, almost a year ago."

We trouped down the hall to the 1604 room, and I introduced them to Isaac, saying, "These new kids are going to be working on my project. Sometime next week, they'll need to keypunch their programs and run that special assembler program that I got from IBM, using their own data. I'm leaving for Poughkeepsie tonight, and won't be back until sometime in the middle of the week."

Isaac grinned, and said, "You know where to find me, and I'll show you how to get started when you are ready."

We went back to my office, and I said, "As I told you earlier and just told Isaac, I'm going to be out of town until sometime in the middle of the week. Right now, I have a quick quiz on Reaper programming. You have one hour; that way I'll have a chance to go over it with you before I leave. I also have an assignment for you to work on while I'm gone," as I handed them each a folder. "In addition to the quiz, you will find some programming exercises to work through, and some Reaper programs that have errors. You need to start working on the exercises; do the first one individually, but you should collaborate on the rest. Also see how many programming errors you can find in the programs."

They finished the quiz in less than an hour. I went over their answers with both of them, pointing out a few errors and explaining everything as I went along. Finally, I said, "All in all, that was quite good. I'll work up another quiz and some more exercises for you when I get back. In the meantime, be sure to run some of your programs through the Reaper assembler. Right now, I have to get to the airport to catch a plane."


SANDY - Friday, January 12, 1962

After two weeks, I was beginning to get the hang of how to structure the lessons so that the Field Engineering (FE) Education people would be satisfied with the format, and we could work on the substance of the material. We had managed to get through the first quarter of the lessons, and I was sure that in the weeks to come, we would get through the rest of the course even faster. Finally, it was time to go home. I knew that Steve would be along eventually. I had wanted to meet him at the airport, but knew that things would be hectic at home, so, at my suggestion, he had agreed to rent a car and drive himself up from LaGuardia. I had reminded him that he would get reimbursed for the car except for the weekend, and I had insisted that I would pay for that myself. As I expected, when I got home, Mom was in a state of confusion, between last minute concerns about her wedding tomorrow, and the imminent arrival of Steve, Walt, and Mary, who was bringing Megan with her. I knew it was time for me to take charge, and told her, "It's my turn tonight. You, go sit in the living room, and watch TV or something. I'll finish with dinner, and take care of everything. I'm not sure when Steve will arrive, but he's renting his own car at the airport, so nobody has to go fetch him."

Mom grumbled, and was about to sit down when Mary and Megan arrived. After hugs all around, I shooed them out of the kitchen, and went to work. Mom had planned everything, and all I needed to do was put the chicken in the oven, cook the vegetables, the rice, and make a sauce. I was interrupted again when Walt came in, with a happy grin on his face and a couple of bottles of wine. After a quick hug, I sent him into the living room; I knew he would want to be with Mom. I finished everything in the kitchen, set the table, and put food on everyone's plate, keeping some back for Steve when he arrived.

I had just poured the wine, and we had started to eat when I heard another car in the driveway. Hoping it was Steve, I jumped up and went to the back door. I was not disappointed, and welcomed him with a great bear hug and a warm kiss, which he returned. I told him, "Just leave your stuff in our car for now; dinner's on the table," as I served one more plate and poured him a glass of wine.

He sat down between me and Megan, who gave him a shy, but sweet smile. He said, "Megan, do you remember me? I'm your uncle Steve."

"I 'memmer. Stee!"

Everyone was busy eating for a while. After a while, Steve asked Mom, "What's the timetable and plan for tomorrow?"

"The judge is coming here at eleven. We'll be married well before noon, and after we all have lunch at the Treasure Chest, Walt and I leave town and won't be back for two weeks."

"Did he ever tell you where you were going?"

"No, but he did tell me that I would need clothes for a warm climate, both casual and dressy. It sounds good to me; I've almost had enough of winter, and it's only the middle of January!"

Walt said, "Steve, there's a surprise for you. Stan was able to wangle a 3-day leave, and will arrive late tonight."

"It will be good to see him again. We didn't have much time to talk at Christmas."

"Have you and Sandy thought any more about where you're going in April?"

"Not much. Several people at work suggested the Southwest, someplace like Tucson or Santa Fe. I haven't had a chance to investigate anything further yet. Sandy, did you find out anything more?"

"No, nothing more than that I've checked the climate data for that area, and it should be quite pleasant during the day, cooling off at night. There's a lot of good hiking and climbing in that part of the country."

"Let's send inquiries off to the visitor information bureaus in both locations, as well as the National Park Service, and see what they have to offer."

By then, everyone was finished with their main course; so, I got up and cleared the table with Steve's help. There was a pie and ice cream for dessert, and I served the pie as Steve spooned a generous scoop of ice cream onto each serving.

Megan was practically asleep by the time dessert was on the table, but she woke up and was able to put down a few forkfuls before she crashed for good. Mom said, "Mary, you and Megan can take my bedroom. For my last night in this house, I'll sleep on the living room couch, although I understand that Steve and Sandy want that for their apartment in Washington, and I expect that some of us will be using it there in the future."

Mary said, "Thanks, Mom. I'll be back soon," as she took a very tired Megan down the hall and then went to her car to get her bag.

Mom continued, "Sandy, this is your house now, at least for the next three months. We'll get it ready to sell and I'll put it on the market in another month; all that means is that the real estate agents and prospective buyers may be coming through during the day from time to time."

"Well, any time you and Walt want to come for an overnight visit, it's still yours!"

"I don't think so!"

Just then Mary came back into the room, and said, "Megan is now sound asleep. I'm tired, and will be joining her very soon."

Mom said, "I told Sandy that she could have anything from this house she and Steve wanted, but aside from the sleeper couch and the desk, anything else that you might want is fair game."

"I'll think about that, but my house is pretty full now as it is. Maybe that Currier and Ives print you have in the living room, if Sandy doesn't want it. I remember it from when we lived on the farm."

I said, "As far as we are concerned, it's yours."

Mary yawned, and said, "I'll see you all in the morning, then," as she got up, hugged Mom, and headed for the bedroom.

Steve said, "Good night, Mary. Sandy, my dear, don't you think we should let Sheila have the living room couch to herself?"

"Tigger dear, I think you have a good idea!"

He went outside to get his bag from his car, and we headed upstairs. As soon as we were in my room with the door closed, we were in each other's arms, kissing each other over and over again.


STEVE - Saturday, January 13, 1962

The wedding went by in a haze. Of course, we were both very happy for Sheila and Walt, but Sandy and I were both thinking three months ahead, when it would be our turn, our own special day.

Stan came over after the wedding lunch, and I think that he was flattered by my subtle hints that when he got out of his Army commitment, he should consider applying to the Agency. In the meantime, Sandy was dropping hints to the effect that he really should consider IBM. Finally, he threw up his hands, and said, "OK, you two, I give up! I'm committed for two more years; when that's over, I'll be open to all suggestions."

After that things got more relaxed, and we had a good laugh as we remembered the VW that had appeared materialized in an upper story classroom at MIT, along with a few other escapades from MIT. Finally, he said, "I'm supposed to meet Chad Wilkinson and his lady friend for dinner in a few hours, and I need to go change my clothes and settle into Dad's house. It's good to see you both; I very much doubt that I'll be able to get another leave for your wedding in April, but if I can, I'll be there."

Sandy rose, gave him a quick hug, and said, "The thought is what counts. Tell Chad and particularly Liz that I said hello."

"I'll do that."

"When do you have to leave?"

"Very early Monday morning."

"Come for dinner here tomorrow; around six?"

"That would be very nice - I don't think that Dad left me much food in the house," as he got up and found his way to the door.

That left us with Mary and Megan. Sandy said, "I need to check out the refrigerator, and if we are feeding Stan tomorrow night, we may need a supermarket trip this afternoon. Mary, when are you going back?"

"I thought tomorrow morning, if that's OK with you."

"That sounds good."


STEVE - Monday, January 15, 1962

Yesterday, after Mary had left, Sandy and I finally had the house to ourselves. Needless to say, we made the most of it, and by mid-afternoon, were ready for a short nap together. I had the foresight to set the alarm for five, and it was a good thing, since we were both sound asleep when it went off. We quickly showered, and were working on dinner in the kitchen when Stan arrived. He had brought a bottle of wine from Walt's cellar, and that, along with another bottle that we had procured Saturday, made for a very convivial and enjoyable evening.

After Stan left, we went upstairs and quickly fell asleep cuddling each other. All too soon, the alarm woke us up, and I staggered out of bed, went downstairs, and started coffee for both of us. Finally, the pot gave its last gasps and settled down, and I was able to pour two mugs for Sandy and myself. I took them upstairs and went into the bedroom, where Sandy had gone back to sleep. I woke her with a gentle kiss, saying, "Rise and shine, my dearest - this is the big day for Reaper. Here's your coffee!"

"Mmmmf. Do I have to?"

"Yes, my love, wake up!"

She thrashed around in the bed for a moment longer, and then sat up to take her coffee. She was so beautiful! I couldn't resist - I took the cup from her hand after she had her first sip, set it down on the stand, and gave her a hug and caressed her tenderly all over. She responded eagerly, and the coffee was forgotten for a while.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.