Song of Thanks - Cover

Song of Thanks

Copyright© 2006 by Grampy

Chapter 19: A Line in the Sand

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 19: A Line in the Sand - Courtney kissed Darryl in the sunrise by the lake, and announced that she would marry him someday. They were both eight and love seemed very simple. Their lives and love proved to be anything but simple. But always there was the lake, and her sweet song.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Teenagers   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Tear Jerker   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Petting  

You are bit like Cinderella, coming home and taking it all off and then going out to replant the bulbs in the garden. ...
Joanna Lumley

On The Ground — Covert Operations Base Weds, June, 27 12:30 AM (Local), Tues., June 26 20:30:00 (Zulu), Tues., June 26, 4:30 PM (Lake House)

The huge Pave Low helicopter sat down gently on the tarmac, and for the first time the huge GE turbines wound down to silence. As though the turbines had powered him as well, the last of Darryl's energy drained with the fading roar of the engines. He had no idea where he would get the strength to hobble off this craft, especially if he were to try to carry the sleeping Azalea, who was curled in his lap with the grace of a Persian cat, albeit one drowning in an oversized Air Force flight suit. He'd have to find a way though, because he wasn't going to let her go.

The harsh interior lights snapped on with the sudden disconcerting jump in reality experienced in a movie theater, when you have to make the mental leap from the breathless romance of the final scene of Casablanca to the mundane reality of everyday life. The glare revealed a group of tired warriors, covered in a great deal of dirt and not much less blood. Two bodies lay supine on stretchers, one of which demanded an IV drip and the constant attention of a hospital corpsman. The lights did solve one problem for him; Azalea awoke, held him for a moment, kissed him on the cheek and immediately went to Nura's side.

When the rear doors opened, Darryl saw a large white unmarked corporate-style jet standing by. He knew without asking that it was for them, and that it was sent by Courtney. God knows where it was taking them, but as long as it was away from this hell and had hot showers...

A cargo lift platform pulled up, and a large cargo door opened on the side of the jet. The platform raised, and a proper transport stretcher appeared, complete with white starched sheets and an equally well-starched nurse. The platform lowered a few feet and then stopped and returned. After a few moments, two more stretchers and nurses appeared. Apparently the Pave Low pilot had used the tower to update their requirements.

Everyone exited and stood about in little groups at the request of Dave Worthy; the exception being little Nura, who was immediately taken aboard the white jet. Dave indicated he needed to make a quick call and then debrief them before they could leave. While they were waiting, Azalea removed the flight suit with the large Green Hornet patch of the 20th Special Operations Squadron and attempted to return it to the gunner who had loaned it to her.

"Ma'am," he said, "I'd be very proud if you would keep that flight suit and consider yourself an honorary member of this crew and the 20th Special Operations Squadron. I've never flown with anyone I'd rather have at my back, ma'am. You're good, real good."

"Thank you; there's no way I could refuse. Do you mind if I have a tailor improve the fit a bit? Perhaps I can send you a picture afterward."

"Oh, ma'am, I can guarantee that picture will have a place of honor in the NCO club."

The pilot interrupted diplomatically. "Ms. Durrani, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you make that three copies, so we will have one for the enlisted club, the NCO club and the Officer's Club. I think it will keep everyone happier."

"I'm flattered, but of course I will, and I just happen to know a good photographer."

"Seriously, ma'am," the pilot continued. "Stopping that truck almost certainly saved the helicopter and quite possibly the lives of everyone aboard. I believe you deserve some official recognition, but this will, of course, be one of those things that never really happened. Whether it happened or not, thank you very much anyway."

Lt Barber stepped up next to the pilot. "I don't want you to go away thinking these fly boys are the only ones who can show gratitude, Ms. Durrani. You showed even my men something about stepping up to the plate when you volunteered to be gunner. You directly saved two of my men by stopping that truck. And Ms. Woodson told me about you taking on an armed guard singled-handed with just a knife. You are a most impressive woman, Ms. Durrani, and it's been an honor serving with you. As a small token, I'd like to present you with this gold Seal and Trident pin, the symbol of the SEALs. More important, my men have asked me to tell you that if at anytime you need our help or protection, you have but to ask. This is not an empty gesture, ma'am; they mean it. It's a promise rarely given and never broken."

"Thank you, Lt. Barber. I grew up among similar men of honor. Tell them I hope I never have to call upon them, but I'll consider them my brothers now. And should the occasion ever arise, I have not the slightest doubt that I could depend on them."

Dave Worthy returned, and everyone gathered around. "I appreciate your patience. This whole operation is a bit tricky diplomatically, so I needed to verify things with the head shed in Washington. First, my congratulations; headquarters is pleased with the outcome and the conduct of this operation. Honors and career advancement are definite possibilities."

"Now, as far as what went down tonight. For the moment, IT NEVER HAPPENED. There's a good chance that they will have no idea that anything tonight had to do with any American journalists escaping, and that would suit us just fine. We'll wait a few weeks and act like you walked out. At this point, the Navy and the Air Force are dismissed. You'll have a full debriefing latter. I need to talk to these civilians for few moments."

Dave waited patiently for a final round of good byes. Nothing bonds more quickly and more permanently than shared danger. It had been a few short hours, and yet for those on the tarmac that night; this would forever be among their most vivid memories. Finally, all that was left was the original little band, missing only Nura.

"I'll make this quick," Dave Worthy said, "I know you're exhausted and I'm sorry you will have to keep traveling a little further. For diplomatic reasons, it is important you never set foot in this country, so you cannot leave the runway. In fact, we'd like to keep you all under wraps for a few days at least. If there is anyone you want to let know you are alive, please go through me for now. This is a request, not an order, because I have no control over you once you leave her, but other lives may be at stake. For diplomatic reasons, Switzerland is the best place to send you while Nura's status is resolved. Courtney Archer has made arrangements for you to be flown directly to an outstanding and very private Swiss health spa and medical center. Once you all are patched up and rested, we'll decide where to go from there. You guys get going, and I'll catch up in a day or so."

With that, the waiting medical staff took charge and transferred James to a transport stretcher. They also wanted Darryl on a stretcher, but it took a stern look and whispered comment from Azalea to get him there. Onboard the patients were bathed, and then examined and evaluated by the physician from the clinic. He sat down with Azalea and Karl to report.

"Darryl and James both have wounds that should heal without problems," he reported. "James needs some surgery, but it's well within our clinic's capability to handle. Nura is another question. The neck is a delicate area, and quite frankly, I'm amazed that the bullet managed to miss the spine and major arteries. To repair the damage is something that should be done by a specialist, the best you can find. Do you want me to look for an expert neck surgeon?"

Azalea pleaded, "I know you probably see her as just a little Afghan orphan but please, she is a very special girl; please do whatever you can for her. She has a voice that the world needs to hear."

"Let me work on that," replied Karl. "This is a place where Courtney's clout may be useful. I'm need to call her anyway."

Karl used the in-flight phone to call the Lake House. Jaclyn answered, "Karl, I can't tell you how wonderful it is to hear your voice. Are you all right?"

"I'm fine, just tired, and I really need a shower. I have a lot to tell you."

"Courtney is here with me; I'm putting you on speaker phone. Tell us everything; we've heard nothing at all, other than to have the plane standing by and to be prepared for casualties. Who is hurt?"

"First, let me tell you that the mission was successful; we have Darryl, James, and Cheryl. We also brought Azalea and Nura with us. Darryl has a wound in his leg, but it didn't hit any bones, so he should recover easily. James has several wounds and injuries from the ambush, and the physician says that he will need some routine surgery but should recover completely as well. Nura is the problem. She's a little Afghan girl the group has with them. Azalea and Darryl say she is a fighter and has a voice like an angel. Darryl says she saved his life."

"Oh God," cried Courtney, "she has to be the girl I've seen in my visions. You can't let anything happen to her."

"She got shot in the neck. Miraculously, it missed her spine and major arteries but no one knows what trauma or nerve damage may have been done to her vocal cords. The doctor on the plane said she should really be treated by an expert who specializes in the neck and throat. Courtney, can you help us find someone? I really want her to get well; I feel partially responsible for her injury. She was with me when she got hit. I should have protected her better."

"Don't worry Karl. The best reason to be rich and famous is that you can help out friends. I promise she will have the best there is. We'll call you back in a few minutes. OK?"

As soon as they hung up with Karl, Courtney turned to Jaclyn. "Remember the director at St. Jude's that's always bugging us about a benefit concert."

"Yes," replied Jaclyn, "he was very anxious. We promised to try and work something out in a few years. We just have so many requests for benefits... are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Yes, call him; tell him if he can get his best neck surgeon to Switzerland in the next 24 hours, I'll do his benefit. Anytime, anyplace he wants, and I'll even underwrite the cost. He'll love that."

A quick phone call confirmed that he did indeed love the offer. Their top man fortunately turned out to be an ex-military surgeon who kept a bag packed at all times. He would be ready in a few hours. A chartered plane would be waiting to whisk him off to the Swiss clinic.

"Call Karl back, and give him the good news," said Courtney, "and you can tell him we'll be there too; I assume there will be some extra seats for us."

"Well yes," admitted Jaclyn, "I thought you'd be as anxious to see Darryl as I am to see Karl."

"Of course," Courtney replied a little wistfully, "there's a difference though; you know Karl wants to see you, too. I'm not so sure about Darryl."

"You mean Azalea?"

"Yes, how do I compete with a woman like that? Can anyone compete with her?"

"You're not going to be able to compete at all from here, so the sooner you meet her in person, the better. And no mater what, you and Darryl have been friends forever, you need to go."

"We'll see; anyway, tell him we'll be there; we'll see what happens then."

Karl hung up the phone and started back to spread the good news. Cheryl stopped him. At that moment they were alone in the passenger section, everyone else being in the medical cabin.

"Karl, I overheard part of your conversation; Courtney and Jaclyn are flying in with the surgeon tomorrow, aren't they?"

"Yes, they'll be at the clinic by early afternoon."

"Listen, Karl, I want you to keep that between the two of us. Let everyone know about the surgeon, but I do not want Darryl to know that Courtney is coming. Understand?"

"No, I don't understand. Darryl will want to meet her at the airport."

"That's the point; I want to have a chance to talk to her first. I think I can help prevent a lot of pain and hurt, and I want to prevent Darryl being caught in a nasty fight between the two women he loves."

"I'm not sure that stopping that cat fight is even possible. But if you think talking with her will help, I'll go along. I'll keep the secret."

Karl went on back to tell everyone the good news about the surgeon. Azalea seemed particularly moved by the gesture. "Courtney Archer must be a very compassionate woman to go to such trouble for a little Afghan girl. I hope I will get the chance to thank her in person."

Karl hesitated a moment while he wrestled one last time with his conscience. "I'm sure you'll have a chance," he replied.

He found he couldn't look directly in her eyes, but if she noticed, she didn't show it.

"Aren't Courtney and Jaclyn coming?" asked Darryl."

"Oh sure, they were making travel arrangements when I talked to them," Karl replied, thankful that he could get away with nothing worse than an incomplete truth.

"I was thinking about calling," said Darryl, "but perhaps waiting and talking in person would be better."

"Yes, probably for the best, all considered."

Karl was grateful that exhaustion prevented further conversation.

The Lake House, Tues., June 26

Courtney sought out Gaho. First she shared the good news that everyone had survived and was getting medical care. She explained about Nura's serious wound and how she was sending a specialist to help. It was obvious that she had more on her mind however.

"You're worried about meeting Azalea, aren't you?" asked Gaho.

"Yes, I am. This business has taught me how to deal with many types of people, and I'm usually confident; but I don't know how to deal with a superwoman. I don't think I've ever met anyone like her."

"In the recording business? I imagine not. I'm not sure I have either. But she's just a woman, flesh and blood like you. You're not the usual girl next door either. I think you'll find a way."

"You once taught me that a Lakota woman always fights for her man. How do I fight a woman who kills armed soldiers with her bare hands, and faces certain death rather than compromise her principles?"

"By remembering that fighting for your man doesn't necessarily mean physically, or even in a test of wills. Every woman has a weakness, some vulnerability somewhere. You must try to find hers."

"What might it be?"

"I'm sorry, Courtney; there are things even I can't see. You'll have to go meet her and discover that for yourself. I think you will have a lot in common. And I hope you will become friends, because no matter what happens, you both will always be a part of Darryl's life. It would be better to make a friend than create a life-long rival."

"I hadn't thought about that, but you're right. I already have too much history with him to not be in his life somehow. She has won her place there, too. If it's difficult to think about competing with her now, think how much worse if she forever remained the 'other-woman', always there for him in case our relationship ever falters. What woman could live like that? And yet, how do I make her a friend when we obviously want the same man?"

Gaho sat silently in thought before she spoke. "Just remember that sometimes the difference between an adversary and an ally is just in how you approach a person. I remember once a mother complaining that every time she made pies for the family or as gifts, her young son would get into them. She tried punishment; she tried hiding them, and she tried to guard them. No matter what she did, he managed to steal a pie. She was at her wits end. I told her that by trying to protect her pies from him, she had made being a thief a challenge. It was a challenge that any boy with all his sly tricks and boundless energy would win. Instead of making him a thief, she needed to make him a guardian. I told her that the solution was to go home and make him responsible for protecting the pies. Turn his boyish enthusiasm to guarding the very thing he had previously stolen. She never lost another pie. Try to see if Azalea is willing to be a friend before you make her an enemy. "

"I hope I can. It's as though I finally realized what he really meant to me, only to see him taken by another, and I have no one to blame but myself."

Flughafen Bern-Belp, Wednesday, June 27

The Gulfstream IV executive jet touched down at the Bern Airport and taxied over to a hardstand where two Mercedes were waiting. It came to stop, and the three passengers dismounted; Dr. Snider from St. Jude, Courtney and Jaclyn. Courtney was disappointed to see that Karl and Cheryl Woodson seemed to make up the only welcoming committee. That is, she was disappointed that Darryl hadn't bothered to show up. The luggage was transferred, and Karl directed Dr. Snider and Jaclyn to one Mercedes. Courtney started to follow, when Cheryl took her arm. "You and I will be riding in the other car; it'll give us a chance for a little girl talk."

Sensing that it was more than a casual invitation, Courtney nodded her acceptance and took her seat in the limousine.

"Didn't anyone else... I mean... I'm surprised Darryl wasn't here to meet us," Courtney said.

Cheryl laughed gently. "Yes, I suppose you are. Don't worry, he hasn't forgotten you. Darryl isn't here to meet you simply because he doesn't know you are here yet. I made sure he didn't know."

"But why?"

"I thought it was important that we have a little chat before you saw him. Now you don't even know me, and you can tell me to butt the hell out of your personal business, but there are two very good reasons why you shouldn't."

"And those would be... ?"

"First, I don't suppose that you've heard, but it turns out that James McNichol is Darryl's biological father."

"That's not possible; I met his father and mother years ago, one summer at the Lake House."

"It's more than possible; it's true. The man you met was not Darryl's biological father, and only he and Darryl's mother knew the truth. James didn't find out until very recently, and Darryl found out when we were in the cave. It's a rather amazing story, and I'll leave it to them to tell, but for now, accept it as true. Also you may not have heard that in a matter of weeks James and I are getting married, so I'm going to be Darryl's stepmother. I guess that's one reason you should hear me out."

Courtney just stared in shock for a moment before finding her voice again. "And the other reason?"

"The other reason is far more important. Now I'm not one to beat around the bush, so I'm going to come right out with it, and this conversation will work better if you are as honest and forthright with me. The biggest reason you are here is to try and find a way to get Darryl back from Azalea."

"Who said I'm here for any such reason? Or that I have to take him back from her? Are you so sure she's 'got' him in the first place?"

"Courtney, Courtney, I told you I'm not one for pussy-footing around. If I'm wrong and you're not here to win your man back, then we'll just sit back and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the Bernese Oberland. Is that what you want?"

"No," replied Courtney in a much meeker voice. "Please, you're right. I want him back desperately, and I'm not sure that's even possible, and I'm not sure I deserve him."

"I thought so, and as far as to whether or not Azalea has his heart in her pretty little hand, wake up and smell the coffee, dear. Even though their relationship hasn't gone very far at this point, that boy is seriously in love with her. Who can blame him, she is as beautiful and remarkable a woman as ever walked this earth. And she has equally strong feelings towards him."

Courtney slumped in her seat. "Then I'm too late; I have no chance?"

"If that were the case, I wouldn't be wasting our time here. He also is also still very much in love with you. I can see it in the way he talks about you, and I'm sure you've never been far from his thoughts. If it were humanly possible, I suspect he would try to keep you both. He is a very troubled young man right now, one very much torn between two choices. Choices he doesn't want to make because each one hurts someone he cares for deeply and hurts himself in the process. Making a decision is going to tear him apart, and I don't want that to happen. I love that boy, too, and I'll prevent it if I can."

"How?"

"I think I can tell you how to win him back in a way that no one, not even Azalea is hurt. My problem is deciding whether I should. If I help you, how do I know I've helped the right person? How do I know you won't just discard him again like you did before?"

"Please Cheryl, believe me, I've changed and grown since then. I had to rebuild my entire life after my father destroyed it. I had no one to help me. It's not easy to give up all that independence and commit to a relationship 100%. I screwed up badly, but then I saw that everything I had built was useless without having him to share it with. I'm ready to make any sacrifice, to do anything to have him back in my life."

"That all sounds great. But Courtney, people don't really change overnight. What happened to make you so different that you really think that you can make your relationship work for a lifetime? Before, the two of you couldn't make it last a year."

Courtney sat back and thought quietly for several minutes, as the sleek Mercedes rolled deeper into the Alps. Finally she turned back to Cheryl who had patiently waited.

"What has happened to me is so incredible, I'm not sure if you will even find it believable. My entire universe has been profoundly changed. I've experienced things that are so mysterious and miraculous that I sometimes have trouble believing them myself. I want to show you something." She reached into her purse and took out a folded piece of paper which she handed to Cheryl.

Cheryl unfolded it and studied it for a moment. "Well, it's a very good drawing of Nura playing her oud. Karl said that they recovered some of the film from Darryl's camera; is this made from one of those?"

"No, this is a drawing I made from a dream I had days before any of you even reached Nura's village. It's how I knew to have Darryl's song released world-wide. It was to get the song into her hands, because the dream said that if I did, it would save his life. And apparently it worked."

Cheryl stared at the picture as though seeing a ghost. "You saw this in a dream? OK, that definitely gets my curiosity working. I want the whole story. Don't hold anything back. You worry about the telling, and I'll take care of the believing."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.