In the Navy - Cover

In the Navy

Copyright© 2005/2020 to Argon

Chapter 27: The Unlamented Chevalier

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 27: The Unlamented Chevalier - The story of a young officer, Anthony Carter, in the British Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. Inspired by the novels by C.S. Forester. First in the Anthony Carter Universe.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Consensual   Rape   Romantic   Lesbian   Heterosexual   Historical   Military   Oral Sex  

The second his lips touched Harriet’s, he felt a load fall from his shoulders. There was no doubt left, no resentment. He felt her lips smile under his kisses, whilst her eyes were closed and her face relaxed in bliss.

“Hrhm!” Sir Richard made, but there was a silly grin on his face.

It was to no avail. Neither Tony nor Harriet heeded him. They were lost to the world for a space of several minutes, seeking comfort in the close embrace and the tender kisses they shared. Reluctantly, Tony allowed his brain to return to the world. He held Harriet at arm’s length, looking her up and down. She returned his gaze with her green eyes, drinking in his sight.

“I almost...” — “I was so...” they started simultaneously.

Laughingly, Tony kissed Harriet’s hand.

“You first.”

“I was so happy to see Asia at anchor. I was afraid that I would miss you again. Now you.”

“I almost despaired over seeing you again. Those last months were terrible, apart from you, not only physically but also in spirit.”

“I know, dearest! Oh, how I know that! When you wrote me that letter, you know, after that reception, I read it at least five times before I could believe my luck. Will you really allow me to be your wife again?”

Tony nodded. “That was never in question, Harriet.”

“Will you trust me again?”

“I think I can. Harriet, will you be loyal to me?”

“A hundred times, yes! I know now how terribly I misjudged your motives. In your handling of Mr. O’Shaunessy’s case, you showed your steadfastness amply. I shall never doubt you again. Tony, may I go to Gibraltar? I would like to welcome you whenever you come ashore. There are so many things now that we have to talk about, and there is so little time.”

“Your father and I have spoken about it, Harriet. I have to sail for Portsmouth first, for a refitting. Your father commandeered the cabin for his use, and he insists on having his daughter accompany him. I shall escort a convoy to Gibraltar next, before I’ll join Cotton’s squadron. Need I say more?”

Harriet’s eyes grew big. “Really? That would be so wonderful! Father said ... Oh, here I stand, and I haven’t greeted my father yet.”

She rushed over to the table and hugged Sir Richard.

“Thank you, thank you! I know you made all this happen, in spite of the disappointment I was. I love you for it.”

“You are my daughter, Harriet. Of course, I was disappointed, but your mother and I shall always look after your well-being. Besides, we see Anthony as our son, and he needs you.”

“Maybe the news I bring will ease your disappointment, too. I sold Uncle Jeremiah’s property to a local land owner for £1950.”

“That’s more than I expected. You did well. How did your travel go?”

“Father, may I change first? There is so much to tell, and I’d rather sit down to relate all the news.”

“Same here, Harriet! You would not believe what Anthony will have to tell you!”

“Now you make me curious,” Harriet laughed. “I shall rush. Oh, Anthony, could you find it in your heart to have young Eric Johnsen come ashore for a night? Poor Jenny’s been pining for him for months now, and you will hear soon how much I owe her for her brave and loyal service.”

Tony just smiled and nodded. Whilst Sir Richard called for the landlord to negotiate a room for Harriet, Tony called in John Little from the tap room. Little grinned when he received his order, and he left quickly. Before Harriet returned from her room, Little was back, a flustered Eric Johnsen in tow. Tony regarded the young man for a moment. Not once in the past year or more had he given cause for admonishment, as far as Tony knew. He smiled at him.

“Listen, Johnsen, and listen well. Here’s a Crown. Go find a room in a decent tavern and come back here. Jenny Morgan is here with my wife, and she won’t be needed before day after tomorrow. Neither will you. Be gentle with the girl, you hear! If she isn’t all smiles day after tomorrow, Mr. Little here will see to it that you’ll be sorry. I don’t have to tell you what awaits a deserter, either. Dismiss!”

“Sir, aye-aye, Sir! I shan’t desert, that I promise! Sir, begging your pardon, will you allow me to ask Jenny for her hand? There never was time before, and two days may be all we’ll have for years.”

“Go ahead, young man,” Tony answered with a smile. “Make the girl happy. And don’t worry too much about not seeing her. Stay in Mr. Little’s good graces, and there’ll be chances to see your sweetheart.”

“I shall, Sir, indeed. I’m a proud Asian, Sir, and I aim to rise in the ranks.”

When Johnsen was off, Tony smiled at John Little.

“Think we may rate him bosun’s mate? He’ll have a wife to support, soon.”

“P’raps, Sir, Mr. Oliver may find him useful?”

Mr. Oliver was Asia‘s sailing master.

“You’d think? Well, he knows letters and numbers, and he was a mate before Jenny’s father shanghaied him. I’ll speak to Mr. Oliver about it. With Mr. Sweeny as Acting Lieutenant, there’s an opening anyway.”

Johnsen was a bright young lad. As a master’s mate, he could have a career in the service. Many captains and some admirals, too, had started their careers before the mast.

The return of Harriet to the common room made Tony forget about Eric Johnsen and his future. Clearly, Harriet had dressed up for him, and her hair, freshly brushed, fell over her shoulders in a reddish-golden cascade. His eyes must have conveyed his appreciation, for Harriet gave him a beaming smile.

“You are every bit as beautiful as you were in my memory all these weeks,” he said.

She cocked her head. “I take it, you cannot spend the night ashore?”

He shook his head with regret. Before he could answer, she put her hand on his arm.

“I understand, my darling. I shall not be selfish. We shall have time in Portsmouth, and then en route to Gibraltar. I am patient. You are worth the wait.”

Together, they joined Sir Richard at his table in the common room. Once they were seated, the head waiter attended to their wishes. As had become his custom, Tony had stout ale whilst Sir Richard and Harriet chose cider. Whilst they were waiting for the food they had ordered, Harriet began to tell of her adventures in Ulster. More than once, Tony barely controlled his anger, hearing about the younger Clanton’s attempts on his wife. He was only satisfied when Harriet recounted the final confrontation leading to Clanton’s death and Siobhan’s confession of her love for Captain Trilby.

“That Captain Trilby, or Major Trilby, is a lucky man,” Tony opined at last. “Miss O’Shaunessy is a pleasant young woman.”

Harriet nodded wistfully. “She became a good friend for me in the end. I hope that I shall see her again and that she will be happy.”

Tony caught on immediately. “As good a friend as Lucy?” he asked, certain that Harriet would catch his meaning.

“A-almost,” Harriet stammered, slightly flustered and blushing.

“That reminds me, Jonathan asked whether Lucy would be welcome to accompany you to Gibraltar. He obviously wants to see his wife, too.”

“Do you even have to ask? Lucy is my dearest friend.”

“I know, Harriet. I told Jonathan to write home. She will call on you when you’ll return to London.”

“Let’s hope that our stay in Gibraltar will be happy,” Harriet said. She shook off the sad thoughts. “So, my dear husband, what heroic deeds did you perform?”

“Heroic? Foolhardy!” Sir Richard snorted, his dander still roused by the thought. “Suffice to say, your husband, under the benighted leadership of Fanning, risked ship and crew by sailing through the Menai Strait, between Anglesey and the Welsh north coast.”

“Is that bad?” Harriet asked, genuinely puzzled.

“To my knowledge, Asia is the first ship of the line ever to sail that passage. He even admits to touching a shallow! He would have been beached for life had he lost his ship.”

“Why then did they do something so risky?”

“We pursued a logger that was behaving suspiciously,” Tony explained. “It turned out, once we caught her, that she was carrying secret letters by a group of conspirators and foreign agents. His Excellency has even put Fanning in for a knighthood for making that catch. They arrested ten or more conspirators in Dublin alone. The judge and the prosecutor in O’Shaunessy’s case are among them.”

Harriet listened with open mouth.

“Really? If they were conspirators against the Crown, why would they have Irish patriots betrayed and sentenced?”

“To incite discontent,” Sir Richard answered. “A Bonapartist spy is behind all this. The French may plan another invasion. It’s true, the logger was a very important capture. They could not know it, though, when they risked the ship.”

Harriet looked at Tony with a sad smile.

“Tony, you don’t have to prove anything to me. I know that you are a brave man. Taking such risks is not necessary to make me realise my folly.”

Her words made Tony start. Was he trying to prove something? Was he being reckless? He considered the thought, but then dismissed it.

“Harriet, this had nothing to do with you. Fanning gave me the order to pursue the logger. He knew the risk when he ordered it, he even offered me to register a protest. The tide was ideal, and I knew I could make it.”

Harriet nodded. “How long will you have to stay here in Dublin?”

“There are the courts martial against the main conspirators. I shall have to give evidence. That may take a week. Why?”

“I’ve been away from the children for over three weeks already.”

Sir Richard gave them a benevolent smile. “Major-General Hobbs has Fanning to testify. We planned that excuse for you to stay in Dublin, but now that Harriet has returned, you can just follow your orders and sail for Portsmouth.”

Harriet smiled wryly. “You don’t leave much to chance, do you?”

“Not when the happiness of my daughter is concerned,” the Admiral answered.

Sir Richard excused himself a little later, claiming an appointment, leaving Tony and Harriet alone at the table.

“I wish you could stay the night,” Harriet sighed. “We haven’t ... You and I haven’t...”

“Yes, it’s been a long time,” Tony answered softly. Then he grinned. “Did you at least enjoy the delectable Miss O’Shaunessy?”

Harriet blushed a little. “She is a very good kisser, if you need to know. As for the rest, I was more teacher to her than anything. You ... You don’t mind, do you? You never said anything about Lucy and me.”

“No, I told you before. As a matter of fact, I find the thought of you and Miss O’Shaunessy arousing.”

“I wager you would like to watch,” Harriet stated with a trace of her old impishness. “Well, that ship has sailed. Siobhan will marry Major Trilby.”

Tony did not answer directly. “Perhaps, you can shift your things to Asia tomorrow. I distinctly remember the pleasure of sleeping in your arms.”

“Oh yes! I’d like that. We were so close then. Tony, can we be that close again?”

“We have to. My cot isn’t that wide,” he answered with a smile.

“You know what I meant.”

“I do. Harriet, I have forgiven you. For us to be close again, you have to forgive yourself next. You must not see every thing I do or say in the context of our fallout. Let go of the affair. I’ll do the same.”

“I understand what you mean,” Harriet sighed. “I’ll be self-conscious for a while; I cannot help it.”

“Then it is for me to distract you,” Tony answered. “I still remember ways to make you feel at ease.”

Harriet blushed, overwhelmed with memories. “I wager you do. I love you, Anthony Carter.”

“And I love you. Harriet, there is something for me to learn from this affair. I must not idealise you. I had painted that perfect picture of you in my mind, and I forgot that you are human, too.”

“You know, that’s true. You do think too highly of me. But the reverse is also true. In my mind, you were infallible and invincible. That’s why I did not see the danger for you in my actions.”

Tony turned serious. “There were moments in that duel when I felt fear, almost panic. Selkirk was good, not only technically good, but he has a fighter’s heart. I was convinced that he’d best me. It was sheer luck that I was able to score my first hit, but that gave me the confidence to continue. Yet, thinking back, I learned where I’ll have to improve my skills.”

For a few moments, Tony saw that Harriet was fighting against tears. Her jaw was set tightly and she breathed heavily. Yet, she prevailed. When he saw that she was calm again, he continued.

“Harriet, your father said something this evening, before your arrival. Does this sword bother you? I know it is a reminder of my journey to Cartagena and all that which happened during that journey.”

Harriet wagged her head. “My feelings are mixed. Seeing you with that magnificent weapon, seeing the envy of other men, gives me pride. Knowing that it is a gift from the man whose wife you bedded makes me resent it. Tell me honestly, Tony. What happened between that woman and you, would it have happened had you been married to me?”

Tony shook his head with emphasis. “When we first talked about that affair, I was not sure. We did not know each other then. I had seen you but for a few days in the Anne Mary and then for some days in London. You had been married to Palmer, and I was not completely over that. Had you asked me then, I could not have answered that question without hurting you. Now that we are married, now that I know what it means to hold you in my arms, I am certain that I would have withstood any temptation. Besides, you do not know Doña Maria. She is a woman of principles, and she would have never encouraged a married man.”

“You’re right, I don’t know her. Perhaps, knowing her would put me more at ease. Is she beautiful?”

“Yes, Harriet, very beautiful. Not in a wanton way, though. She was very sad, too, when I met her, and vulnerable.”

“I can see where that attracted you,” Harriet threw in, even showing a smile. “A damsel in distress, beautiful and mysterious.”

“It appeals to any man,” Tony grinned. “I felt kinship to her, too, thinking at that time that you had deserted me. We were two unhappy persons giving each other solace for one night. Think of it as akin to your own little trysts with Lucy.”

“I can try. Tony, darling, even if I feel misgivings seeing that sword on you, you should not give it up. If it serves you well in fighting and keeps you alive, this is far more important to me than who gave it to you.”

In response, Tony kissed her hand. “This is what I love in you, Harriet. You know and appreciate my profession. Perhaps, when they gift me an honour sword, I can wear that socially and keep the Toledo blade for fighting.”

Harriet thought about it, but then shook her head. “No, please don’t do that on my behalf. You are used to it, and that is important for your safety.” She looked at the sword, as it was lying on the bench behind Tony. “Its hilt and scabbard are worn. Will you allow me to have it refitted by a sword maker? Then it would have something of me, too.”

“An extra lucky charm, you mean?” Tony asked. “I would love that.”

It was time for Tony to return to the Asia, and he settled the tab with the landlord. He escorted Harriet to her upstairs room. She entered reluctantly and only after he had kissed her once more.

“This is the last night you will sleep alone,” she whispered. “You had better gather strength.”

John Little was faithfully waiting for him when he came downstairs, and they left the Golden Cross together. Tony was in thought and did not feel like talking. John Little knew his captain well enough to pick up on his mood, and he walked silently, one step behind him.

Preoccupied as he was, Tony was ill-prepared when a dark figure suddenly broke from the shadows to the right, wielding a dagger. It was John Little who reacted, throwing himself at the assailant. A moment later, Little uttered a pained cry and slumped to the ground, obviously stabbed. He had given his captain enough time to react, though. When the assassin pulled the dagger from Little’s belly, Tony’s sword was out and ready. The man froze when the sword tip pricked his throat.

“Who are you and who sent you?” Tony snarled menacingly.

Porc anglais!” the man hissed back defiantly.

Cochon stupide!“ Tony returned. His blade hit the hand with the dagger, almost severing the hand, before he smashed the basket of the hand guard into the assassin’s face, stunning the man. Tony quickly knelt at John Little’s side.

“How are you, old friend? Where did he hurt you?”

“Under my ribs, Sir. Doesn’t hurt much.”

“That will change soon. We have to get you aboard the Asia and to Dr. Wilkes.”

Tony stood, looking about. A street urchin was peering at them from behind a barrel.

“You there! Want to earn a Crown?”

The urchin shuffled closer, clearly not trusting the officer who stood with his drawn sword. Tony fished for a shilling and threw it him. The little figure caught it adroitly.

“Run for the harbour and find HMS Asia‘s gig. Tell them, Mr. Little was wounded. Lead them here. Once you come back with the crew, this Crown will be yours.

The urchin nodded and took off. Tony knelt again and pulled away Little’s hands from his stomach. There was blood, but not much. He found a kerchief and pressed it against the wound.

“Our men will come soon, Little, just hang in. We’ll get you in Dr. Wilkes care. You know him; the man can raise the dead.”

“Yes, Sir, he’s a mighty good doctor. He’ll patch me up. Only, if I don’t make it, Sir, will you help my Inez?”

“Never worry, Little. We’ll get you to him if I have to carry you, but if anything ever happens to you, Inez and your child will not lack anything. This is the second time you saved my life, Little, and I’m not the forgetful kind.”

“No, Sir, I guess you aren’t. It hurts a bit now.”

“That’s what happens after a while when you’re stabbed. Believe me, I know.”

“Yes, you’ve had a few holes in you, too,” Little answered.

“Sir, what happened?” Looking up, Tony saw Eric Johnsen and Jenny Morgan. “We heard commotion, Sir, and I thought I knew your voice.”

“This man tried to stab me, and Mr. Little caught the blade instead. I’ve sent for the gig’s crew. We must get him aboard and under the Doctor’s care.”

Just then, the assassin began to move, and he groaned as his fingers felt for his broken nose. Eric Johnsen had brought along a club, likely the leg of a chair, and he hit the man over the head.

“Not too hard, we may want to get some answers from him,” Tony admonished the young man gently.

“He’ll not swing, Sir?” Johnsen asked incredulously.

“Oh yes, he will in the end,” Tony replied grittily. “Bind up his arm, before he bleeds out.”

Jenny had been standing silently.

“Sir Anthony, should I go and look after milady? She’ll want to know about this.”

“That would be helpful, Mrs. Johnsen?” Tony answered with a question.

“Yes, that’s my name now.”

“Yes, please go. I’m afraid your husband is needed here. Tell Lady Carter not to worry and keep the door shut.”

Jenny nodded and ran off.

“Congratulations, Johnsen,” Tony said.

Before the young man could answer, the sound of running feet came nearer. Five of the gig’s crew were led by the street urchin. They even brought two oars along, something Tony had forgotten to order. The oars were stuck through Little’s wide trouser legs and up, until they protruded from his collar. Using this makeshift stretcher, four men hoisted Little up and started a brisk walk towards the harbour. Eric Johnsen and the fifth man bound the assassin with his own belt and slapped him awake. Marching the dazed and moaning man between them, they took off for the harbour, too.

Tony pulled out the Crown for the street urchin.

“Thank you for your good service, my lad.”

The youngster took the coin and stared at the tall figure in blue and gold.

“Sir, them men says yo’re a right good cap’n an’ yore ship’s a happy one.”

Tony smiled. “You want to join? How old are you?”

The youngster shrugged.

“Do you have parents or other relatives?”

A shake of the head was the silent answer, but then, the boy spoke.

“I’m right hungry alla time, an’ them men says there’s plenty food in yore ship.”

Tony shrugged. Why not?

“All right, follow me. We’ll read you in.”

He strode ahead, and in no time, they reached the gig. Little already sat in the stern sheets, doubled over, and Tony took the helm in his stead. The assassin was bundled at their feet, and the gig shoved off. The men bent over their oars, and the boat flew over the dark water. In no time, they were hailed by the watch.

Asia!” Tony shouted. “Pass the word for the Doctor!”

Not five minutes later, Jonathan Wilkes and his surgeon’s mates had whisked John Little into the sickbay. Tony remained on deck. On his orders, the assassin was bound to the mizzen mast.

“Now, mon chevalier, will you kindly tell me who sent you?” he addressed the man who looked up surprised.

Tony had had the time to think, and he knew the man as the ringleader of the conspiracy, the Chevalier de Montsant.

“You think you can scare me, English pig?” the man mumbled defiantly.

His head snapped back, when one of the gig’s crew hit him squarely. He bent over the man, hissing angrily.

“You dumb Frog, John Little is our mate. Talk with a civil tongue.”

“Benson, keep your temper in control!” Tony ordered softly.

“Do your worst, English pigs!” the man hissed.

Tony laughed at that. He turned to Lt. Dougherty.

“Have that man put in irons for the night, if you please.”

“Should somebody look after his nose, Sir?”

Tony shook his head.

“Mr. Wilkes is busy with Mr. Little. Don’t bother him with this coward. He can look after him after the flogging tomorrow.”

“You-you cannot ‘ave me flogged! I am a nobleman!” the would-be assassin protested. “I demand treatment as a captured officer!”

“You, Montsant, have given up any claim to being a gentleman when you waylaid us like a common footpad. You will receive three dozen lashes tomorrow before we shall hand you over to the Dublin authorities.”

“You vill not dare zat! I am a Colonel in ze Imperial Army!”

Tony bent low.

“Unfortunately, you forgot to wear your uniform when you attacked us. That makes you a spy, and spies are hanged.” He turned to his 1st Lieutenant. “Mr. Dougherty, I picked up that boy on the street. He alerted the gig’s crew for me, and he wants to join. Kindly read him in.”

Tony turned on his heel and went below heading for the sickbay. Down there, in the light of several lanterns, Jonathan Wilkes was just bandaging Little’s midsection.

“How is he, Jonathan?” Tony asked.

“The intestines have not been damaged, though his liver might. Bleeding is light. I put in a drainage and bound him up. Let’s wait until tomorrow.”

“Will he make it? He took that knife for me!”

“I cannot tell yet. It doesn’t look too bad, but then you can never tell. I’ll do my best.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.