Things Happen for a Reason - Cover

Things Happen for a Reason

Copyright© 2004 by ClarkKentWannabe

Chapter 6

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 6 - A man wakes up with amnesia and wonders if his wife is keeping secrets.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including mt/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Drunk/Drugged   Heterosexual   Cheating  

It was a damn strange feeling to walk into your own apartment and not recognize a thing, Luke thought as he glanced around the tiny place with a sense of déjà vu. He'd had this same feeling when Sarah had taken him home a couple of months ago.

This place had none of the warmth or feeling Sarah's home had, he had to admit. There was hardly any furniture and he had made no attempt to decorate the place whatsoever. The landlord had said Luke never seemed to be around much since he'd rented it back in February, so it probably hadn't really mattered. Apparently Sarah had contacted the man and had been paying Luke's rent since the accident. He wondered how she'd had the money to do that. Then again, the place was pretty low-rent, and it showed. He had a pile of mail waiting for him, and he smiled a little when he saw that the address on these bills matched the one on his license, finally.

A quick search didn't reveal much about the man he had been. He had a few DVDs that looked good, some magazines sitting on top of the small TV, and a desk littered with candy bar wrappers and old Coke cans. The bottom drawer, however, yielded a bounty of clues in the guise of old papers, some scribbled notes, a check book and an address book. He opened the address book first and scanned it for Riley's name. He found it, scratched through with a dark pen but still readable. He had half a mind to head over to the guy's place, wait until he got home, and then beat the hell out of him. Kind of hard to do when you don't even know what he looks like though. Besides, Sarah had told him the name of the law firm both he and Riley had used to work at. Luke figured he'd drop in there and try to pay the man a civil visit first.

An hour later, Luke walked into the law office of Hartman, Kress and James and felt another sense of déjà vu as he scanned the lobby. It was as if some part of him remembered coming here. Well, made sense if he had worked here himself for a couple of years. Still, he wondered if the feeling meant his memories were finally returning.

The middle-aged receptionist blinked in obvious surprise when Luke stepped up to the counter and asked if he could get an appointment with Riley.

"Luke!" she gasped, then smiled and rushed around the counter to hug him. "I can't believe it! It's been... well, a long time. What are you doing here?"

Awkwardly, he hugged her back, then pulled away to remind her who he'd asked for. She looked at him a bit oddly, then shook her head. "I'm sorry, Luke. I thought you of all people would have known. Riley isn't here."

Damn. "Do you know where I could find him? You know, to catch up on old times," he explained as if he and the other man were still old buddies.

"Luke, Riley isn't here because he-" she pushed at her eyeglasses and glanced away. "Well, this is awkward, isn't it? Luke, Riley died a few years ago. I'm sorry. I thought you knew. I could have sworn I remembered seeing you at the funeral."

Riley was... dead? "Are you sure?" he demanded. What about the phone calls Sarah had received. The package.

"Well, I suppose it must have been someone else," she admitted, and when he looked at her funny, she explained, "It must have been someone who looked like you that was at the funeral."

Oh, she thought he'd been asking if she was sure she'd seen him then. Of course she was sure Riley had died, he told himself.

"How did it happen?"

"It was awful," she said. "He had a bad allergic reaction to something he ate. He was alone, and the ambulance didn't get there in time. Of course, the police questioned the whole staff afterward, and we wondered if they didn't suspect foul play. Nothing ever came of it, from what I remember, so I suppose it was just one of those freak things that happens."

"How awful," he agreed flatly, feeling a little dazed at this news. If Riley was dead, then what the hell was going on? "Um, what about Bree-Anne? Does she still work here by chance?" Maybe his old assistant could offer some answers.

"Bree-Anne?" Clearly she hadn't been very popular with this lady, by the look on her face now. "Last I heard she was engaged to some rich guy. Same old Bree-Anne, you know. As soon as she got her hooks into one, she quit her job here. It was, oh, about a year ago. Good riddance, I say."

Luke wondered about this development as he made his way across town to pay his utilities. When the receptionist had mentioned possible foul play in Riley's death, he'd instantly wondered if he himself hadn't had something to do with it. Or maybe Sarah? Even so, it didn't explain why someone else would be stalking his wife.

Had she had another lover she hadn't told him about? Had she made up the stalking story to make him want to stay and protect her? Would she go to those lengths to keep him around?

He didn't think so. At least, he chose not to believe so. Not yet.

He figured, if anything, he was the most likely suspect. What if her betrayal had driven him over the edge? What if he'd wanted revenge against both Riley and Sarah? Had he killed one and secretly tormented the other?

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.