Adoré - Cover

Adoré

Copyright© 2003 by The Star

Chapter 4: The Juggling Act

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 4: The Juggling Act - This novel preceeds "Audry", and describes the formation of the Steele family. Covering several years, it is much more than a "coming of age" romp. As always, the sex advances the plot, and is never the reason for the plot. This is the story of a rich "eastern establishment" girl who marries a ranch boy from the wilds of Oregon.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including mt/ft   Consensual   Romantic   Rape   Heterosexual   Cousins   First   Pregnancy   Violence   School  

Winter was a good time. Adoré was going to drop her classes that term. She just wasn't strong enough to come back after only a week, and thought more than that would make it impossible to catch up. Since she was only taking two classes, she spoke with the instructors, who both urged her to continue. "I'll cut you some slack, Adoré," her French teacher said. "You speak and read above this level anyway. You'll do OK." When her English teacher took the same approach, she agreed to continue.

Little Robby seemed a typical kid. He cried when he was wet or hungry, cooed when he was played with, and generally seemed happy to be with them.

They were certainly happy to have him.

Adoré's obstetrician confirmed that it would be very difficult-though not impossible-for her to conceive again and that Robby was a lucky fluke. Her uterus had sustained some additional damage carrying Robby. She counted her blessings.

Marty sailed through his winter term courses. He was a happy, contented man. His wife-he'd never expected to have a wife for several more years-was the woman of his dreams. In fact, Adoré exceeded all of his dreams, in beauty, personality, and in bed. His schoolwork was interesting and challenging. And his little son was a joy. What more could a man want?

Their friends were pleased for them. Adoré made their home a warm, friendly place, where the few close friends they'd made were welcome-and often present; sometimes to study, sometimes to talk or play cards, sometimes for dinner.

When they first married, Adoré was a barely adequate cook. But she directed her attention to the subject and, by the time they'd been married a year, was very good at 'American plain cooking', and was learning some gourmet tricks. Determined to maintain her figure, she emphasized healthy food and low fat.

Spring term, they were both back in class and, at her mother's insistence, hired a part-time housekeeper/nanny to take care of Robby and the house while they were in school. This worked out well for them, since they were able to hire another student-a young woman who really loved children and was studying to be an elementary teacher. She was capable and congenial, and soon became a lifelong friend.

They didn't make Dean's List, but their grades were good and, before they knew it, finals were upon them.

"We need to fly to Virginia as soon as finals are over," Adoré announced.

"Won't it keep until Fourth of July?"

"Mom was unusually insistent. I don't know what's on her mind, but she really wants us there.

"OK. But I'll have to placate my folks. Mom's expecting a month with us, then July in Virginia. Of course, dad would like our help for roundup."

"I know, honey. But I think we need to go."

Marty made Adoré make the call, thinking that Hazel wouldn't beat her up so much.

Hazel wasn't upset, but was very curious. "I think maybe I'll join you, if you don't mind?" she said.

"Not at all, Hazel. It will be fun to have you. Daddy's sending the Lear, so we'll pick you up in Bend."

On the cross-country flight, they didn't speculate much about the urgent summons. As Hazel said, "We'll know all about it when we get there. In the meantime, I need some quality time spoiling Robby." She monopolized her grandson the rest of the trip, except when Adoré was feeding him.

The family chauffeur met them at the airport with a limo. As they started off, Adoré asked, "Are we going to the farm?"

"No, miss. Your parents will meet you in the Richmond house."

"I suppose you're sworn to secrecy and can't tell me what's going on?" she asked.

"Sorry miss. I'm not sworn to secrecy. But I'd only be speculating and I'd rather not do that."

"I didn't mean to put you on the spot. I'm just awfully curious."

"Think nothing of it, miss."

When they pulled in to the covered entrance to the family mansion in Richmond, Adoré's mother met them herself.

"Hazel, welcome. I wasn't sure you'd come but I'm glad you did. You'll be a big help." Hugging everyone indiscriminately, she led them inside, deftly plucking Robby from her daughter's arms as she did.

In the downstairs library, they found Adoré's father and brother. When greetings and hugs were exchanged and little Robby admired, Mr. Parmentier cleared his throat, gaining their attention.

"Kids, thanks for coming. I know you planned to be here next month, but this is important. Hazel, glad you're here, too... In a way, getting you here like this is a selfish act. But I wanted to see you when... well, when I was able to be me, and enjoy your company. Last week we learned that I have a particularly nasty form of cancer. It's in my head, and is not just a tumor-rather it has spread through a large portion of my brain and will soon be into the brain stem."

He paused to let them take in what he'd said. "There is no cure, and no effective treatment. Oh, I could try chemotherapy or radiation, but the doctor told me frankly that they've had zero results with that for this form of the disease. A month from now, I will be bedridden-and unable to recognize any of you. Certainly not mentally competent most of the time."

Tears were flowing from Adoré's and Hazel's eyes, as they listened to a man they loved and respected, calmly tell them he was under an irrevocable sentence of death.

"I wanted you here, now, so I could enjoy a few last days with those I love, while I can be aware enough to enjoy having you near me. I especially wanted to see, and hold, little Robby again. Jeff hasn't produced any offspring-at least that he'll admit-so this is the only grandchild I'll see... Thank you, Adoré, for producing him. I think maybe his miracle conception and birth was the Lord's way of making it up to me a little."

Adoré and Hazel reached for the Kleenex, and sniffled.

"A couple of other things. I only want you to stay a week. Don't come for Fourth of July this year. I don't want you to see me that way. I want you to remember me as I am right now. Will you agree to that?"

"Daddy, I don't care that you'll be changed by this. I'll stay with you."

"I know you would, honey. But I would be so much easier in my mind if you didn't... please go back to the ranch for the summer."

Sobbing, Adoré agreed.

"I'm not in any pain, honey. There will be some, they tell me. But they also promise that they have effective medications to keep it bearable. Your mom will be here. I ordered Jeff away, too. He's defying me. He'll stay, knowing it is my wish that he would not." He tried to glare at his son, but the love in his look robbed it of any force.

"The other thing we need to talk about, Marty, Adoré... and you, too, Hazel... is Dory's money. Every year, both of us have given each of the children the maximum $10,000 we can tax-free, as well as some other gifts. That money is in a trust account at Bank of Virginia. Mr. Sydne, whom you know, Hazel, can handle it all for you. It's in your name, Dory. It's yours. I'm told it's something over a million dollars."

Marty's eyes got big. He sure hadn't expected this.

"Then there are your trusts... You have access to one of them now-it became available when you turned eighteen. You were so busy making Robby, we didn't bother you about it. There are others. My lawyers are preparing a list, with a synopsis of the terms and amounts in each...

"Honey, there is not enough money there for you to live like you did growing up. You can't afford houses like this or jets. I'd hoped to make enough for that, but didn't have time. But you will be well-off. You could invest the funds and enjoy a comfortable middle class lifestyle from the income. That's what I urge you to do. Marty is a fine young man. I wish you had married some money, frankly, but I can't and don't have any complaints about his character. I suspect he will be able to provide you with any lifestyle you want. Use what you have to make your way a little easier, to achieve your goals a little quicker. OK?"

Numbly, Marty and Adoré both nodded. Hazel, seeing it, did too.

"Just for your information, to answer the questions I can see that you have, your brother has nearly identical arrangements, with a bit more opportunity in the family business. He's not ready to take over from me, but it will be there if he wants to. Your mother will be OK. She says she intends to move to the farm, and sell this house to your cousin, Allen. Allen is the next 'patriarch' and has said he'd like to keep the Parmentier House in Parmentier hands. He's also said that you will always be welcome here.

"Surprisingly, the farm is almost self-supporting, and your mother has plenty of assets to keep it, and herself, in any style she wants.

"Any questions?"

"Just one, daddy. Why won't you let me stay with you? I would feel much better if I could hold your hand and kiss your cheek every day. And if you can't recognize me, it doesn't matter. I can recognize you."

"I love you, too, Adoré. Little Dory. What a wonderful woman you are... Believe me, darling, I love you very much. I respect you. I'm so proud of you it hurts... And I will die easier, knowing you don't have to bear the pain. There will be no funeral. There will be no burial. I'll be cremated and the ashes scattered on the farm. Like I said, it is my wish-my dying wish, if you will-that you remember me as I am today. And that you have as many good memories of me as you can. Will you do that?"

Sobbing, Adoré responded, "Daddy, I think this is the hardest thing you've ever asked of me. I will do it. But know that you will be in my prayers every day..." Her tears overcame her. She rushed to her father and buried her head in his chest.

Robby announced that he was hungry, so Marty and Adoré took him to their suite, where she could breast-feed him in comfort, while Marty showered off the scum of the flight. When Robby was burped and asleep, Adoré showered.

"Well, darling, what do you think?" she asked her husband, as she vigorously toweled her hair, naked otherwise.

"Absolutely stunning!" he said in an awestruck tone.

"Idiot!" She snapped the towel at him. "About daddy and all?"

"Baby, I'm really sorry about your dad. He's not that old a man, and he's a good guy besides. But if you ask me, it's not a bad way to check out. Pretty fast, but he's had some warning, so he can make arrangements-like spending a last week with his grandson. I believe him when he says they can handle the pain. I think he's set things up as well as he can, to make it all as pleasant-or at least as little unpleasant-as he can. I understand why you want to be here. Hell, I even want to be here. But, baby, it's what he wants. And I think we owe it to him to give him what he wants if it's in our power."

"Yeah. You're right. But you better hold me a lot, the next few months. I'm likely to break down in tears at odd moments."

"No problem. I love you, Dory."

"And I love you too, Marty... What do you think about the money?"

"I think we need to talk to mom-and probably a good tax guy-right away."

"What does Hazel have to do with it?"

"She's a lot smarter about that stuff than most anybody I've ever met. I'll bet, if she was a man, she'd be doing your dad's job for the family."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.