On the Fence: The Chance City Series Book Two - Cover

On the Fence: The Chance City Series Book Two

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 22

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 22 - The situation between Deputy Brock Guthrie and Daphne Decker is complicated. Can he get past his hatred of Indians and accept Daphne for the woman she is within instead of seeing only her Comanche heritage? Will he take a chance and come down from the fence he sits on, or will he turn away from the possibility of a lifetime of happiness with Daphne?

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Historical   Western   Interracial  

As December continued, the temperatures rose back up into the fifties during the day, which was normal for that time of year in Oklahoma. It helped Johnny’s group finish the water tank quicker and the Saturday before Christmas, they were ready to test it out. Johnny was as nervous as if he was giving birth.

“Okay, Sly, go ahead and open the chute!” he shouted.

Sly waved a hand to let him know he’d heard Johnny. He smiled as he watched Johnny pace. Truth be told, he was just as excited to see how it was going to work. He bore down on the lever that was affixed to the chute door, lifting the barrier upward. Water flooded perfectly into the pipe, rushing through it to the tank.

“Here it comes!” Johnny grinned as he followed the water’s progress.

Wheels’ father, Vern, stood on the ladder attached to the side of the tank, looking through the door in the roof of it to make sure the water entered the tank properly. When clear creek water burst from the pipe, rushing down into the tank, he let out a yell of victory and threw a fist in the air.

“We got water, y’all!”

The group gathered cheered and clapped. They all took turns climbing up to watch the water fall into the tank. Ollie had clambered into the closest tree and his screeches of approval made them all laugh.

Daphne hugged Johnny tight. “I’m so proud of you! Proud of all of you!”

Johnny hugged her back. “Thanks. Now the real test comes. Let’s make sure it works inside before we start the boiler up.”

“Okay.”

Sly shut the water chute since the water had reached the proper level and they all trooped inside to the bathhouse.

Johnny blew out a breath and rubbed his hands together nervously. “Well, here goes nothing.”

He turned the handle on the newly installed spigot and stood back a little. Water spurted and sputtered from the faucet before settling into a strong, steady stream. Johnny shouted in joy, and everyone joined him. Then he and Wheels watched the water go down the drain to make sure the tub emptied properly.

Johnny said, “It took a lot of hard work, but we did it, fellas. I don’t know how I’ll ever repay you.”

Vern chuckled. “Don’t worry, son. Wheels and I will think of something.”

Johnny turned off the faucet. “You just name it. I guess we can fire up that boiler and make sure it works right.”

While they waited for the water to heat, they had a celebratory toast, even though it was only late morning. Daphne and Leigh served brunch and a party atmosphere ensued throughout the meal. Johnny kept running outside to make sure the boiler was still working properly, thrilled that there were no complications.

When brunch was over, they went back to the bathhouse. Johnny turned the tub faucet on again and hesitantly passed his fingers through the water. Elation flowed through him as he felt the lukewarm temperature.

“It’ll be hot enough for a bath in a couple of hours,” he announced.

Cy put an arm around his shoulders and gave him a little shake. “You get to take the first one since this was your invention.”

Johnny grinned. “I can’t believe it worked.”

Cy said, “I can and I’m really glad it did because when our house is finished, you can build us one, too.” He gave Brock a toothy grin. “Until then, we can still come use this one.”

Brock rolled his eyes and laughed. “I can’t get rid of you no-how.”

Daphne watched them banter and was happy that the two men were coming to terms with each other. Neither had complained about each other much lately, which made her feel more positive about them living under the same roof. She and Leigh exchanged conspiratorial smiles as the party broke up and people left.

Christmas Day united Brock and Daphne’s families for the first time and the couple was anxious about it. It was tense at first as everyone greeted each other when the Guthries arrived at Sundance Ranch, but Cotton, a master at putting people at ease, acted as a buffer. He cracked jokes and traded friendly insults with everyone, lightening the mood.

Cy narrowed his eyes at Doug. “I understand that you think cats are smarter than dogs.”

Doug grinned. “As a matter of fact, I do.”

“I think we need to discuss this over a drink.”

“I’ll take you up on that,” Doug agreed, following Cy into the parlor.

Daphne could have kissed her brother for playing the good host. The house was filled with conversation and laughter all day. Like Brock and Daphne, the two families found that the divide could be bridged with a little effort and respect. Surprisingly, the only real remaining animosity was between Brock and Daniel.

Daphne overheard David speaking to Daniel about it at one point.

“You must stop this! Brock is changing, as we all are. We have to learn to trust them as much as they do us,” David said.

Daniel’s blue eyes filled with fire. “It’s hard after years of his shitty treatment. Hiding behind his badge if we got out of line. I still can’t believe that Cy is becoming friends with him. Of course, he was gone for a long time and doesn’t really know just how bad it was.”

David put a hand on Daniel’s shoulder. “I know, but it’s obvious that Brock’s heart and those of his family are changing. Hanging on to your bitterness will only cause trouble. No good will come of it. Do you want to cause a situation that would hurt Daphne?”

Daniel shook his head. “No. I love her, and I want her to be happy. I just can’t believe he makes her happy.”

David gave him a stern look. “That’s Daphne’s business. Someday you’ll understand. You can’t control love, love controls you. Besides, the Great Spirit chose to bring them together for a reason. Perhaps it’s to show us that it’s time to let old wounds heal. Cast this anger out of your heart.”

“I’ll try. It’s the best I can do.”

David sighed and left the room, put out with his son. Daphne pretended that she’d been busy with something in the kitchen, but the things she’d heard Daniel say worried her. But when Brock came into the room and stole a kiss from her, the love in the blue eyes she loved so much reassured her, and the joy of the day was restored.

Music and laughter filled Benny’s on New Year’s Eve. Brock, Aaron, and Wheels were joined by two other musicians. Wheels’ sister, Maggie, aka Skeeter, who owned a junkyard, played harmonica, and Lewis Flemming, played spoons.

Johnny pitched in tending bar so Benny could go dance a little. Brock watched his fiancée dance with other men without much jealousy. His trust in her was complete, but he kept an eye on her in case someone got too familiar with her person.

He grinned as Rob spun her around on the dance floor, thinking that his tall, lanky boss looked a little like a crane as he moved in time to the fast song they played. Ellie was trying to learn some sort of dance from Walt, but she wasn’t having much luck with it. Of course, she wasn’t the most graceful dancer, so if Walt was trying to teach her anything complicated, her chances of success weren’t very good.

Still, she laughed when she messed up and whatever Walt said to her in response only made her laugh harder. Looking over at the bar, Brock was taken aback by the pure hate on Hunter’s face as he watched the Irishman and Ellie. Hunter acted the same way whenever Walt came to the sheriff’s office.

When he’d first noticed it, Brock had thought maybe Hunter had developed a crush on Ellie, but that wasn’t the case at all. There was just something about the attorney that rubbed Hunter the wrong way and judging from Hunter’s expression, that wasn’t going to change anytime soon.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.