On the Fence: The Chance City Series Book Two - Cover

On the Fence: The Chance City Series Book Two

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 12

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 12 - The situation between Deputy Brock Guthrie and Daphne Decker is complicated. Can he get past his hatred of Indians and accept Daphne for the woman she is within instead of seeing only her Comanche heritage? Will he take a chance and come down from the fence he sits on, or will he turn away from the possibility of a lifetime of happiness with Daphne?

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Historical   Western   Interracial  

Brock’s heart went out to Daphne when he saw her the next morning at the hospital. Rob had told his staff what had happened, and he’d come to visit Johnny as soon as he’d finished his morning patrol. Daphne sat in the waiting room, her head bowed, and her eyes closed. Brock sat down by her and took her hand.

She opened her eyes and looked at him. The sympathy in his blue gaze brought on tears and her breath caught on a sob.

Brock gathered her in his arms, rubbing her back consolingly. “It’ll be all right, Daphne. He’ll pull through. He’s a tough kid. What did Doc Ellis say?”

Drawing back from Brock, Daphne pulled a handkerchief from her skirt pocket and wiped away her tears. “He said it’s encouraging that Johnny made it through the night. Poor Johnny. He was so excited about taking Dory to dinner. He looked so handsome. I just can’t believe this.”

Brock rubbed her arms. “It’s a big shock, but you’re a strong woman.”

“Yes, I am. I won’t fall apart. Johnny needs me, needs all of us. I’m going to see if they’ll let me stay and help take care of him.”

Tipping her chin up, Brock said, “With you as his nurse, he’ll definitely get better. If I ever get shot, will you be my nurse?”

She laughed, grateful to him for adding some much-needed levity to the situation. “You’d better not get shot. Thank you for coming.”

“Of course, I’d come. I can get you back there. Come with me,” Brock said, taking her hand.

Daphne followed him over to the nurses’ desk.

“Morning, Sadie,” Brock said. “I need to see Johnny Decker. Official business. Miss Decker is going with me.”

Daphne blinked at his no-nonsense tone and the steely expression on his strong-jawed face.

“Go ahead, Deputy,” Sadie said.

He gave her a curt nod. “Much obliged.”

Once they were through the door that opened into the hallway leading to the men’s ward, Brock grinned at Daphne. “There are perks to the job. That’s one of them. Getting into places no one else can.”

Daphne chuckled. “Thank you.”

They met Dr. Ellis as he came out of an office.

“Oh, Miss Decker. I was just coming to get you. Johnny’s awake and asking for you.”

Daphne said, “I’d like to help take care of Johnny, Doctor. I can change bandages and things like that.”

Dr. Ellis nodded. “If you like. I’m sure he’d feel better with you here. He’s hopped up on laudanum, just so you know. I’ll be around after a little bit.”

“Thank you so much.”

Daphne was thrilled to see that Johnny was awake and she blinked back tears of relief as he gave her the lopsided smile she loved so much.

“There she is,” he said hoarsely. “I been waiting to see you for days.”

She sat down in the chair next to his bed and took the hand he reached out to her. “You just got here last night, honey.”

“Oh. I guess I’m a little mixed up,” he said, still smiling.

His voice was weak, and his eyes were glassy from the laudanum, but he was alive.

Daphne giggled. “Just a little.”

His smile widened, then he suddenly sobered. “What about Dory? Is she okay? He knocked her down and I was mad, so I told him none of that. Well, he didn’t listen, so I was gonna get that gun from him, but he shot me and now here I am.”

Brock smothered a smile over his convoluted story. He understood what Johnny meant, though.

Daphne said, “Dory is fine. She’s a strong girl.”

“Pretty as a picker, too. No, that ain’t right. Picture. Pretty as a picture. I’m gonna marry that woman,” Johnny said. “You wait and see if I don’t.”

Daphne laughed softly. “How about we worry about that once you’re better?”

He rolled his eyes. “Well, I certainly can’t marry her like this. Will you bring her to see me? We didn’t get to go to dinner. That damn father of hers messed it all up.” He yawned.

Daphne said, “Go to sleep, Johnny. You need your rest. I’ll be right here.”

“Okay. Thanks for coming to see me, Brock. I knew you were there. You’re too big to miss. Pardon my rudeness.”

Brock said, “Don’t worry about it, buddy. You do what Daphne says and get some sleep. You don’t want to make her mad.”

Johnny’s expression turned solemn. “You’re not kidding. She’s tough.”

Brock nodded. “I know.”

Johnny’s eyes drifted shut and Brock smiled at Daphne. “I gotta go, but I’ll stop by later on. Just call over to the office if you need anything.”

Daphne said, “Thanks again.”

Brock looked around to make sure no one was looking and then gave her a brief kiss. “See you then.”

Daphne watched him walk away, admiring his broad shoulders and nice rear end. Once he was out of sight, Daphne pulled out a book from her bag and settled in to read until Johnny needed something.

Brock was glad that his shift that day was uneventful, allowing him to leave work on time for a change. He went to La Fontana’s, a modest restaurant that made excellent fare, and picked up the food he’d ordered earlier that day. Entering the hospital, he greeted a few people he knew before going back to the men’s ward.

Daphne sat in her chair, her head leaning back against the wall, eyes closed. Brock’s gaze moved over her beautiful face, noting the faint smudges under her eyes. A feeling of such tenderness stole over him that it made it hard to catch his breath for a moment. He almost hated to wake her but figured that bringing her good food would make up for it.

Going over to her, he brushed the back of his fingers over her soft cheek.

Her eyes fluttered open, and she gave him a drowsy smile. He imagined that it was how she looked in the morning after a night of lovemaking. Stifling the spear of longing that pierced his stomach, he smiled back at her.

“How’s the patient?”

“He’s doing well. The laudanum makes him even funnier than normal. He still insists that he’s going to marry Dory. He wouldn’t go to sleep this last time until I promised to bring her to see him tomorrow,” Daphne told him.

Brock’s jaw clenched. “He’s such a sweet kid. I hope when Cy and Cotton find Maynard, they make him suffer before they haul him in. Johnny didn’t deserve this.”

Daphne nodded and stretched. “I know I shouldn’t, but I’ve been thinking the same thing.”

“I don’t blame you a bit. Now, what do you say to dinner? Look what I brought,” Brock said.

He showed her the pan of lasagna and Daphne’s mouth watered.

“I say yes! I’m starving,” she said.

“I thought you might be. Come with me. There’s a little cafeteria downstairs.” Brock saw her glance at Johnny. “He’ll be all right for a while. That’s what they have nurses for.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.