Mail Order Mystery: the Chance City Series Book One - Cover

Mail Order Mystery: the Chance City Series Book One

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 12

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 12 - A lady farmer and a disgraced detective--will what starts as an arrangement turn into something more? Brought together by necessity, will Leigh and Cy find love or will their attempt to find lasting happiness meet with disaster? Join the Chance City adventure as its citizens battle opposing forces and mayhem in their searches for love and a brighter future.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Historical   Mystery   Western  

From the Bransons, Cy went straight to the Chowhound in search of his friend Hector. The Mexican was a multi-talented man, one of his skills being a topnotch guard. Sandy greeted him with one of her usual naughty quips, giving him a much-needed excuse to smile. It didn’t last long, though.

“You look like something the dog drug under the porch. What’s wrong?” she asked, concern in her eyes.

Cy rubbed his forehead to ease his brewing headache. “I’m working on Catherine Branson’s murder.”

Sandy’s expression turned grim, and she shook her head. “Such a shame. She was a nice girl.”

“Yeah. Have you seen Hector lately? I have a job for him.”

Her smile returned. “You’re in luck. He’s with Tina now.”

Cy chuckled. “I’ll wait. I don’t want to miss him. This is important.”

“In the meantime, you can have some lunch. Chicken pot pie today,” Sandy informed him.

“Sounds great.”

Cy was almost finished with his meal when Hector Ruiz came sauntering into the barroom from the doorway that led back to the private rooms. He spotted Cy and broke into a broad grin.

Hola, my friend! It’s good to see you.”

He clapped Cy’s back and sat on the stool next to him.

Cy returned his smile. “It’s good to see you, too. Where’ve you been hiding?”

Hector shrugged. “Here and there. You know how it is.”

“Yeah, I know. Are you working right now?” Cy asked.

“No. Why? Do you need me?”

“I do. I need you to guard the Branson mansion,” Cy said, filling him in on recent events there.

Eso es horrible. Me siento mal por ellos,” Hector said, his dark eyes bright with sympathy.

Cy nodded. “I feel bad for them, too.” And for Sly, he thought. “Will you do this for me?”

Si, but are you sure they want a Mexican in their house? They will think I’m there to steal more stuff,” Hector said, his handsome, angular features enhanced by his grin.

Sandy snorted. “I keep trying to get him to steal me, but he won’t.”

Hector laughed and nimbly swung himself over the bar, landing lightly in front of Sandy. “You’re a liar, Sandra,” he said, taking her in his arms. “You are the one who keeps refusing my advances.”

He playfully pressed a hard kiss to her cheek, making her blush.

Cy laughed. “He called your bluff, Sandy.”

Sandy tried to get away from Hector, but he hung on tight, whispering something in Spanish to her. She had no idea what he was saying, but the way he said it left no doubt in her mind that it was something very raunchy. Her face turned even redder. Finally, Hector took pity on her and let her go, helping himself to a shot of whiskey.

“Get out of here,” she said, brusquely to hide her shyness. “You better not ever let Jim catch you doing that.”

Hector swung back over the bar. “That old man? I ain’t afraid of him. I fear no one.”

That was true. Cy had never known Hector to show the slightest trace of fear of anyone. It was one of the reasons Hector was such a good guard. Once he started on a job, he’d die before he let something happen to one of his charges.

“How much does it pay?” Hector asked. “I got expenses.”

“I’m aware of that.”

“Suzanna needs shoes, Diego outgrew his pants, and Pilar is sick again,” Hector said.

Cy thought about little eleven-year-old Pilar. Hector’s little sister had a weak constitution and was susceptible to fevers and joint pain. The doctors had done everything they could for her, but, although she would improve for a while, her ailments eventually came back. At the age of nineteen, Hector had lost both of his parents when they’d been killed by robbers on the way to Oklahoma City.

As the oldest sibling, Hector had immediately begun taking care of his younger brother and sisters. It hadn’t been easy for a young Mexican immigrant, but Hector had taken any job that had come along and his next oldest sibling, fifteen-year-old Diego, now took odd jobs, too.

Cy had met Hector shortly after coming home from Pinkerton’s and they’d become instant friends when Hector had helped Cy fight off some troublemakers one night at Benny’s. Cy had admired Hector’s lightning fast moves and courage. Ever since then, Cy hired Hector periodically for jobs like this. He was glad that Hector was free to work for him right then.

“You’ll be on the mayor’s payroll, so I know that it’ll be good money,” Cy said. “Play your cards right and it could be a permanent thing.”

Hector shook his head. “I doubt it, but I’ll stay for as long as they let me. How would it look if the mayor has a Mexican working there full-time?”

“It would look like they’d hired someone who could keep them safe,” Cy said. “Come there by two. That’ll give me a chance to round up the other two men I want to help you. You’re the boss, though. I’ll make them understand that. I came looking for you first because you’re always the hardest to find.”

“Okay. Two it is, amigo,” Hector said.

Cy nodded. “See you then. Thanks for lunch, Sandy.”


It was very late when Cy got home that night and he was frustrated in many ways. Constantly fighting with Brock was aggravating, as was the fact that although they’d solved one mystery surrounding the Bransons, he wasn’t any closer to finding Catherine’s murderer.

Then he’d had to question Sly to verify his whereabouts and to see if he could shed any light on the investigation. Seeing his usually stoic cousin in so much pain was hard. All these things were preventing him from spending more time with Leigh.

He realized that their marriage was supposed to just be a business arrangement, but he wanted to get to know Leigh better. His strong attraction to her was a pleasant surprise.

As he approached the house, he heard Queenie bark and smiled. She was already becoming a good guard dog. He went inside, the other dogs following him. Queenie came out of the parlor to greet them all, and Cy played with her for a few minutes. Then he got a drink of water and went upstairs.

He froze when he heard a revolver cock.

“Hold it right there,” Leigh said quietly.

Cy relaxed. “It’s just me.”

Leigh pointed the gun away as she carefully un-cocked it. “After everything that’s going on around town and all, I’m not taking any chances.”

“Good girl.”

He came the rest of the way up the stairs. Leigh took his hand and led the way to her room. As they went inside, the moonlight coming in the windows hit her and Cy’s stomach tightened as he took in her beautiful face. What he wouldn’t give to kiss her right then. “What is it?”

Leigh asked, “It’s always gonna be like this, isn’t it? The late hours, the danger, the demands on your time?”

He put his hands on his hips and nodded. “Yeah, for as long as I have to keep this job, it will be. But once the ranch is doing better and we don’t need my income, I can quit again. Things’ll be better then. Or are you having second thoughts about marrying me?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.