Sacrifice and Reward: Paha Sapa Saga Book One - Cover

Sacrifice and Reward: Paha Sapa Saga Book One

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 11

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 11 - Mid-18th century North America is a hotbed of unrest between many feuding Native American tribes. By this time, most of the Kiowa bands have been pushed west by the Lakota. However, one small Kiowa band is determined to stay in their homeland. Sky Dancer, a beautiful Kiowa widow, and proud Lakota warrior, Dark Horse, are forced to marry in order to create an alliance between their peoples. Can they overcome their hatred to find love or will distrust keep them from the reward they both crave?

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Fiction   Historical   Western  

When she arrived back at camp, Sky Dancer found Red Sun and asked if there was anything she needed help with. She needed to prove that she wasn’t lazy and that she was adept at women’s work. It was important for her to show Red Sun that she would take good care of Dark Horse and their home.

Red Sun appreciated the assistance since Three Deer had disappeared again. There were clothes and bedding to wash, water needed to be hauled, and Red Sun was trying to finish a new shirt for Spider as a surprise. He was currently away on his first hunting trip, which was why Sky Dancer hadn’t met him yet.

The previous evening, Laughing Eyes had insisted that Red Sun and her children eat at their home. Three Deer had only stayed in her family’s tipi long enough to eat and clean up, and then only because Dark Horse had put his foot down. Then she’d left, much to Dark Horse’s disapproval.

Watching him deal with his willful sister had been amusing because it had reminded her of how Willow had tested her father’s patience growing up. As she carried watering skins to the creek to fill, Sky Dancer chuckled as she thought how amusing Chirping Cricket’s reaction to Three Deer had been.

He’d barely spoken while in the beautiful girl’s presence unless someone had asked him something. When they had, a slightly panicked look had crossed his face and his responses had been very short.

Sky Dancer returned to camp and Red Sun introduced her to several women. Some were brusque with her, but two others were courteous. One of the younger women was openly hostile to her and Sky Dancer surmised that she must be one of the maidens who’d no doubt had their sights set on the handsome brave.

Used to dealing with difficult situations, Sky Dancer remained cordial in the face of Fox Kit’s hostility. It was essential not to create enemies. When Fox Kit’s mother, Sweet Grass, took her aside and chastised her, Fox Kit glared at Sky Dancer and left the group of women that had gathered outside of Red Sun’s tipi.

Sky Dancer hid her disappointment that the other woman disliked her behind a smile as she asked Red Sun if she wanted help with the evening meal.

“Yes, thank you. If you cook, it will give me time to work on Spider’s tunic.”

By allowing Sky Dancer to prepare a meal for their family, she was showing trust in the Kiowa woman. Even though she had some reservations about her foreign daughter-in-law, Red Sun was going to do her best to befriend her son’s new wife. She didn’t want anything to hurt his standing in their tribe. An unsuitable wife could lower his status. Therefore, by accepting Sky Dancer as a part of their family, she was warning others that Sky Dancer was not to be harassed.

Sky Dancer was familiar with tribal politics and understood Red Sun’s motives. She was grateful to her mother-in-law, even if Red Sun’s actions were for Dark Horse’s welfare. It would make it much easier for her to fit in with their tribe.

“Dark Horse brought back a couple of pheasants this morning. Would you mind fixing them?” Red Sun asked.

“I would be happy to.”

Red Sun showed her the birds and cooking supplies and went to work on Spider’s shirt.


Sky Dancer looked forward to making the meal, but she was also nervous about it. She made a fire in the roasting pit alongside their tipi and cleaned the birds while the fire burned down. Then she wrapped them in corn husk leaves and put them in the pit with some wild carrots and tubers that Red Sun had on hand. She added some seasonings that she’d brought from home and covered it all up.

That finished, she took a basket and went to gather some raspberries she’d seen while walking back to camp earlier. A cooler wind blew, promising much needed rain later on that night. Her spirits lifted a little as the breeze teased her hair, as though trying to cheer her up.

A new hope rose in her breast as she picked berries for the evening meal. Suddenly, strong arms slid around her waist, hauling her back against solid male flesh. It frightened her so badly that she dropped her basket and ripe berries spilled onto the grass.

“Sky Dancer, you should not be out here alone.”

She sagged in relief upon hearing Dark Horse’s deep voice in her ear. It was tinged with a displeased edge and even though she didn’t understand his words, she knew that he was reprimanding her.

Irritated, she twisted around, intending to escape his embrace, but she found herself trapped against his muscular torso. His onyx eyes gleamed with amusement when she glared at him.

“You made me drop my basket,” she scolded, pointing at the container. “I am trying to make a nice meal for us tonight.”

Dark Horse raised a black brow and looked over her shoulder. He saw the spilled berries and understood why she was upset. However, her softly rounded breasts felt good against his chest, and he was reluctant to let her go. Sighing, he released her and went to the basket. He righted it and began picking the berries off the ground.

Pressing a couple of fingers against her lips to keep from laughing, Sky Dancer watched him. His frown reminded her once again of a little boy who’d been chastised for his naughty behavior. Did he know how adorable he was sometimes? She doubted that anyone outside of his mother would tell him such a thing since he was a war leader. Maybe she would one day, but she’d keep it to herself for now.

Once he was finished, Dark Horse took the basket to her. He wondered what had caused the twinkle of laughter in her eyes, but he didn’t ask.

After giving her the basket, he signed, “You should not be out here alone like this. I could have been the enemy and kidnapped you.”

Sky Dancer knew that he was right, but she wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of admitting it. “You are the enemy and you have kidnapped me in a way.”

Her comeback amused him. “I am no longer the enemy and I have not captured you—yet. But I will, and when I do, you will not want me to let go.”

Although his teasing was meant to amuse her, it had the opposite effect. Pain sliced through her heart as she thought about all she’d left behind and how foolish she’d been to not cherish it. She’d wallowed in her sorrow, pulling it around her like a protective shield instead of living each day to the fullest.

Yes, her husband and child had perished, but she was still alive. Her mother had been right when she’d said that Badger would be displeased with her. He would be angry because she’d shut out the people who loved her and had stopped truly living.

Her expression turned cold, and her jaw tightened. “You will always be the enemy. You attacked our village and killed some of our hunters only a few days ago. Do not think I have forgotten about that.”

Dark Horse’s good mood quickly dissipated. His face settled into his warrior’s mask as anger flared to life. “We were only following the bison and did not know about your village until we suddenly came upon it. You are the enemy, and it is a natural thing to fight when set upon. That is what happened. We lost men that day, too. Never mind. Are you done out here?”

She nodded as tears burned her eyes.

“Then go back to camp. I have things to take care of and I should not have to track you down like a lost child.”

His sharp statement stung, making her cheeks burn. “I was fine. I did not ask you to come after me. Go tend to your duties and leave me be.”

She brushed past him, walking at a brisk pace towards camp. He’d struck out in response to her harsh words, and she didn’t blame him. They’d been making progress and she’d ruined it. She couldn’t help it, though.

Dark Horse wasn’t about to let the situation stew. He didn’t want them to spend the evening angry with each other. He easily caught up and cut in front of her. “I am sorry. I do not wish to fight with you. I know what you have sacrificed, and I admire your bravery. I believe that you are a good woman and that your people mean us no harm.

“You could have attacked us many times, but you did not. I do not know everything your tribe has to offer us, but I have the feeling that it will benefit us. I told Soaring Falcon that we should create an alliance with your people.”

Hope and gratitude flowed through Sky Dancer, stealing her breath. She turned away to hide the tears that welled in her eyes. “Thank you,” she managed to whisper. Her mind was too emotion-filled to remember that he couldn’t understand her words.

Dark Horse hated hearing the sadness in her voice. He put an arm around her shoulders and drew her into his embrace even though she resisted at first. As he held her, she relaxed, and he rested his cheek on top of her head.

Holding in her emotions made Sky Dancer’s chest hurt. She didn’t want to cry in front of him. She wanted to be strong, to show him that she was independent, and that she didn’t need him. But at that moment, she didn’t feel strong.

Not having anywhere else to turn for comfort, she allowed him to hold her. The dam broke as she hid her face against his chest and burst into tears.

Sky Dancer’s shoulders shook with sobs and Dark Horse’s heart ached for her. Tightening his arms around her, he stroked her back and murmured softly to her as he sought to ease her sorrow.

She smelled of soap root and sunshine; a heady combination. After a few minutes, her tears slowed, and she let out a shaky sigh. She’d put her arms around him and now slid her hands up his back a little. That simple contact sent a hot surge of desire to his groin. What was it about her that made him react so strongly? She made him angry, amused him, and excited him. Nothing about her was easy, but he liked the challenge she presented.

Sky Dancer looked up at him. “I am sorry. I do not weep all the time.”

He brushed away a lingering tear from her cheek and smiled. “I have no idea what you just said.”

Her brow puckered in confusion, then smoothed out again. If she couldn’t understand him then he certainly hadn’t understood her. A laugh bubbled up into her throat and she put her hands on his chest as her mirth poured forth.

He ignored the heat that spread through him at her touch and stepped away from her. If he didn’t put distance between them, he was going to pull her down into the tall grass and have his way with her. Take his wife’s hand, he tugged a little and pointed at camp as he said the word in Lakota.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.