Sacrifice and Reward: Paha Sapa Saga Book One - Cover

Sacrifice and Reward: Paha Sapa Saga Book One

Copyright© 2023 by Robin Deeter

Chapter 9

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 9 - Mid-18th century North America is a hotbed of unrest between many feuding Native American tribes. By this time, most of the Kiowa bands have been pushed west by the Lakota. However, one small Kiowa band is determined to stay in their homeland. Sky Dancer, a beautiful Kiowa widow, and proud Lakota warrior, Dark Horse, are forced to marry in order to create an alliance between their peoples. Can they overcome their hatred to find love or will distrust keep them from the reward they both crave?

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Fiction   Historical   Western  

Dark Horse knew better than to try to move around Willow’s horse as they rounded the first turn. Going outside would use up valuable energy. Coming off the turn, he urged his mount to the right of Willow’s, and they drew even with her. She flashed a smile over at him, obviously enjoying their race.

He grinned back and sent his horse to the front, cutting in front her as they galloped for the far turn. Glancing back, he saw fierce determination stamped on Willow’s face and knew that the race wasn’t won. Focusing on the track ahead of him, Dark Horse assessed his pony. His ears were still pricked forward, indicating that he hadn’t tired yet. Bending over the horse’s neck, Dark Horse asked for more speed from the stallion, who responded by lengthening his strides.

Another roar went up from the spectators lining the course and Dark Horse knew that Willow was making a move. She came up on his left side as his horse’s increased pace cause him to go a little wide around the turn. Her big mare stretched out her neck and bullied her way into the strip of course left open by Dark Horse.

The stallion took exception to the close quarters and reached over, nipping at the mare. Flattening her ears, the mare squealed and bumped into the stallion. Willow shouted at the mare and moved her away from the stallion, putting her back on track. Both horses recovered their balance and settled down to run again.

Willow’s mare began inching ahead as they approached the finish line. The next instant, something hit the mare hard on the side of her head. She squealed in pain and veered to the right careening into Dark Horse’s horse. The stallion’s hooves clipped the mare’s right front leg. She foundered, tried to right herself, and then went down.

As soon as she felt the mare lose her balance, Willow attempted to jump clear, but the horse’s choppy gait threw her off kilter. When she landed, her left ankle turned, and she fell heavily to the ground.

Dark Horse brought his horse to a skidding stop and leapt from its back, running back to Willow, who knelt on her hands and knees, shaking her head.

“Willow! Are you all right?” he asked, taking hold of her arms.

Rage built inside Willow, and she ripped away from his grasp. “I am fine, but whoever threw that rock is about to die.”

His brows rose. “Someone threw a rock?”

Willow got to her feet and gingerly took a step to test her injured ankle. It wasn’t going to hold her. She balanced on one foot and shook her fist in the air. “Who is the filthy Lakota swine who threw that rock? Is that the way you treat your guests? Do you condone cheating? If I find out who did this, I will kill you!”

A rumble went through the crowd at her shouted threat. Everyone looked around for the guilty party.

Dark Horse said, “I assure you that this is not how we compete, Willow. I am sorry. You are hurt. I will take you to the medicine man.”

“No! I have a medicine man,” Willow said, her face set in a fierce scowl.

Lightning Strike arrived along with Sky Dancer and Chirping Cricket, who knelt by Willow. Gently, he removed her moccasin and ran a hand over her ankle.

He frowned up at her. “It is starting to swell already. I do not think it is broken, but it is badly sprained. We need to get you to the creek so you can keep your leg in the cold water for a while.”

Willow nodded. “Fine.”

Dark Horse motioned for them to follow him. “I will show you the way.”

An eerie hush settled over the crowd and the four of them looked to see why the people had quieted. Their eyes widened when they saw Soaring Falcon striding towards them with a murderous expression on his face. He led a beautiful chestnut gelding.

Stopping in front of them, he eyed Willow. “Please accept this gift of restitution for the wrong done to you, Willow. We do not cheat or treat our guests in such a manner. I promise that I will find out who did this and deal with them.”

Willow understood the significance of Soaring Falcon’s actions. Not only was he making an apology, but he was also showing his tribe that the Kiowas were held in high regard and not to be trifled with. There was also a calculating light in his eyes that made Willow wonder what else he was up to.

He held the lead rope out to her. Willow looked at it and then into his eyes, which glittered with humor. If she refused to accept the apology and horse, she would look like a poor sport, and he knew it. She would make her people look churlish and petty if she turned it down.

Willow had never been a pawn in a political situation before and she didn’t like it. However, she had little choice but to play along. After a few moments of hesitation, she took the lead rope from his outstretched hand.

“I accept your gesture of goodwill and restitution. Thank you.”

His smile irked her. “It is I who thank you.”

Willow narrowed her eyes. Yes, he looked slightly relieved, but he also looked ... proud, much the way a parent did of a child. Who was he to be proud of her, as though she wouldn’t have exhibited proper behavior? As though she needed to learn a lesson in diplomacy.

Her nostrils flared as she fought her irritation, which was exacerbated by the fact that her pique was obviously fueling his amusement. To keep from slugging him, Willow hobbled over to the horse and pulled herself up on its back despite the pain it caused in her ankle.

“This is a good time to try out this fine horse,” she said, nodding curtly to the chief. “Dark Horse, will you point us in the direction of the creek? I am sure we can find it from there.”

It was clear that she didn’t want the war leader to go with them.

Dark Horse sighed and pointed. “It is due east. You will come right to it.”

Willow urged the horse forward and Lightning Strike walked along beside it. Chirping Cricket moved to follow him, but Soaring Falcon put a restraining hand on his shoulder.

He held out the hunting knife he’d tried to give the medicine man earlier. “Tell your chief that we will meet in three days’ time at the juncture of the trail that leads here. We will set up the meeting lodge. This is not a promise of an alliance. We are simply willing to hear you out.”

Chirping Cricket looked at the fine knife and then up at Soaring Falcon. “I understand. I will tell him. Thank you.”

Soaring Falcon patted his shoulder and shook him approvingly the same way he had earlier before leaving them.

Sky Dancer smiled at Chirping Cricket’s expression of awe and disbelief. “It seems as though you have found favor with him. I am proud of you for convincing him to meet with Grandfather. It is no small thing you have done. Your status will grow even more now.”

Chirping Cricket shook his head as he grinned. “I cannot believe it. I was sure that I had blown the meeting. I thought that he would turn me down.”

Sky Dancer put a hand on his arm and squeezed it. “Your mentor would be proud.”

Tears stung Chirping Cricket’s eyes. “I wish he was here, but I feel him with me a lot. He still guides me even though he walks the next life. It really is true that our loved ones are never truly gone when we keep them alive in our hearts and minds.”

His words pierced her, and she also held back tears. “Yes.”

Dark Horse wasn’t sure what they were saying since they spoke in Kiowa, but he caught the stricken look that flitted over her face. He instinctively wanted to comfort her and take away her pain.

“Will you show me to Smoking Fire’s medicine lodge?” Chirping Cricket signed to him. “I want to make a poultice to put on Willow’s ankle and some willow bark tea.”

“Of course. This way.”


Sleep didn’t come to Sky Dancer that night as she lay in Dark Horse’s aunt and uncle’s tipi. She and her compatriots had been ensconced with the gregarious couple, who had plenty of room in their large lodge.

Stag Chaser, a man of perhaps fifty winters, had entertained them with stories about his youth, but Sky Dancer hadn’t paid as close attention as the others. She wavered between disappointment and relief that Dark Horse hadn’t kept her with him that night. After Laughing Eyes, Stag Chaser’s wife, had yawned three times, it had been decided that it was time to turn in for the night.

The rotund, funny woman had treated them to a small feast, plying Chirping Cricket with more food, because she’d deemed him much too thin. She’d fussed over him, which had amused them all. The boy seemed to bring out the same motherly reaction in women regardless of whether they were of his own tribe or not.

Sky Dancer smiled up at the point of the tipi as she thought about Chirping Cricket. With his disarming smile and sweet nature, he easily won people over—even a Lakota chief. Looking over at him, she saw that he slept on his side facing her. He looked even younger in slumber and her smile faded as she thought how much she’d miss him after they left in the morning.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.