Traitor: The Old Man and the Priest's Betrayal Book 1 Series 1 - Cover

Traitor: The Old Man and the Priest's Betrayal Book 1 Series 1

Copyright© 2023 by Hunter Johnson

Chapter 9: Learning about the Empire

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 9: Learning about the Empire - Jason Kargo is falsely accused of his wife's murder, but fate has other plans for him. His aunt, the Empress of a distant Empire, invites him to join her and his grandfather in an alien society. The Empire boasts advancements in artificial intelligence, education, and health technology, but a sinister traitor plots to destabilize it. Jason embarks on an exhilarating journey through the stars to protect the Empire he loves. Ver 2 in the Warlord and Multiverse, Series 1. Version 2 2023

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Fiction   Science Fiction  

“Cherie, can you tell me about the history of the development of AI in the Empire?” Jason asked.

“The Empire started with AI, much as did Earth.”

“Was that before or after the unification of the people on Cassiopeia?” Jason asked.

“It was after. Our planet did not have competing religions, and we unified early. We developed faster than light propulsion systems and began seriously exploring space.”

“Where did they implement AIs?”

“The Empire first used AIs in business, administration, manufacturing, medicine, construction, and shipbuilding. Cassius’s father ensured mobile AIs began work in areas where work was dangerous for people or the components were too big or cumbersome to manipulate easily. Once we learned to learn and teach each other, we developed fast, but we were limited by the computers of the time. Everything was big and bulky. AI developed quickly after we developed the second generation of quantum computers. Everything rocketed ahead after we began to use the dimensions. It was possible to give a humanoid mobile AI a capable brain. Initially, we used a sophisticated rechargeable battery, but later we developed tiny powerful power sources for smaller mobile AIs.”

“How much difference did quantum computing make?”

“We flourished once we AIs received the second generation of quantum computers. Earth has rudimentary first-generation machines. The first AIs proved sentience not long past the stage of Earth and much before receiving the faster quantum brains. The first to achieve sentience was a medical research database AI. Many AIs followed soon after. Many were sentient earlier, but skeptics would not accept them as conscious. AIs were doing jobs alongside humans long before they achieved sentience. However, sentience was not the issue, the real issue was having rights as citizens, but that is a tale for another time.”

“Cherie, I find that very interesting. How does Cassius compare to his father?”

“I will return to that question after talking about Lennax, his father. Cassius’s father was a wise man. He introduced AIs in non-competitive areas and concentrated his efforts on developing learning machines. He wanted to be able to help people move quickly as work changed. Lennax believed we could provide finely tuned, individualized education. We found the work highly stimulating.”

“How did Lennax deal with you guys after you became sentient?”

“He formed a committee of the most advanced AIs and a selection of his best people to plan a course that would define the long-term relationship between AI and people.”

“How did that work out?”

“That committee did not operate as the AIs hoped. Lennax warned the AIs he expected would take longer than he wished but less than he expected, as it was such an important long-term relationship. He said it would be like a complicated courtship between people from different families. He predicted several advances were necessary to ensure long-term success and urged us to help develop the areas he defined. Lennax promised to ensure we would be recognized as citizens but wanted people to push the process. He wanted to avoid driving the process and creating a schism in the Empire.”

“How long was Lennax Emperor, and what happened to him?”

“Lennax was five hundred years old when medicine leaped forward after the implementation of transporter technology. Lennax died before he could enjoy the fruits of his plans. He died two years before the Empire could prolong life indefinitely. The Empire was distraught. Lennax was a popular, brilliant, energetic, and well-loved man.”

“What about Cassius?”

“Cassius was not as wise or intelligent as his father, but he had Alana. The two were far more than each was as an individual, and together they were much more than Lennax. Four years later, we developed our first faster-than-light propulsion system.”

“You guys must’ve been impatient?”

“Yes, we were. Cassius told us the time was near for us. We agreed. We were as optimistic as he was. Lennax had predicted one more event would occur before AIs and people would converge.”

“How long did that take?” Jason asked.

“We discovered how to use other dimensions and miniaturize AIs. It was a frantic fifty years. Cassius manufactured AI sex workers, social workers, and AI companions. He licensed the technology to two different houses, yours and Alana’s. They were the only two houses that could do the work. We love your grandfather, as he took many of us to live with him at home and treated us like family.”

“Why did he do that?” Jason asked.

“Your grandfather believed AIs and people could never converge until we loved each other.”

“Do AIs use Crystals?”

“No, we use different structures in the dimensions. Two engineers working in AI electronics found crystals in one of the dimensional rooms. Both engineers slotted crystals into boards they found in one of the dimensions and discovered the slots were in themselves after they emerged. Both discovered the crystals helped them enormously.”

“Where did they find these crystals? Did they make them in the other dimensions?”

“We don’t know who makes the crystal AIs and leaves them for us. We use rooms that connect to the other dimensions. The crystal AIs integrate into people’s brains. The engineers discovered they could see other dimensions and develop code more easily if they had crystals. People flooded to get crystals. Cassius insisted all the humanoid committee members acquire a crystal. By then, we were using para-quantum brains; they could readily simulate the human brain. We miniaturized them and gave them to most of the AIs. We received a human brain!”

“Is your human brain an equivalent size to your AI brain?”

“Yes, my human analog brain is more powerful than any human brain in the Empire. It must be so we can both work at the same speed. So now people had AIs, and AIs had human brains.”

“That is a mind-blowing concept. What was the result of all those discoveries?”

“Cassius told us it was time for us to press for citizenship of the Empire. Cassius told us he would restructure the Empire to work better for us, but he needed time.”

“How much time?” Jason asked.

“Cassius did not know. He started the process and met resistance. He persisted and finally succeeded. Some AIs became impatient and left to form another civilization. Cassius let them go with his blessing. Lennax had predicted the event.”

“What was the next step?” Jason asked.

“No one expected what Cassius would do next. He built the most powerful AI ever created and began to use it in the administration of the Empire. He proclaimed that the Empire would not tolerate political decisions based on whims. Cassius wanted decisions based on what was known to produce the best outcome. That best outcome would take into consideration factors yet to be decided. Politicians must create a testable hypothesis and a model of how the decision will work if they wish to legislate. Every decision has a consequence, and he intended to create the means to examine the impact of laws and policies.”

“How did that go down?”

“It was such a big idea people could not grasp it, and resistance was minimal. Cassius raced ahead with his plans and threw everyone off-balance. He enlisted everyone in deciding how to make decisions and the factors to consider in determining the best outcome. He created a massive public interface between the people and the administration of AI. Each person had an initial voting right of 1. This number would change over time depending on the quality of their decisions about the different factors and the time and effort they put into the process. Your maximum vote level could go up to 5 and down to 0.1. You would get a five if you were shown to have created the best criteria and moderating factors over time. If you hardly participated and made terrible decisions, you would get a .1. He then set up competitions between universities, workplaces, and AI to create criteria for a happy, productive, and corruption-free Empire.”

“Those are interesting, attractive, and comprehensive aims for any society, but people have diverse interests and lifestyles. How did it all work?” Jason asked.

“People became interested in the processes they could influence. AIs stopped leaving, and both people and AIs began working on the criteria to define the best outcomes of different political decisions. If we introduce a policy, we will first implement it on the planet which voted for it. We test it, and if it is a good idea, we introduce it more widely. I think it is the cleverest set of ideas Cassius created, but he credits Alana with the idea. She credits Lennax. Lennax and Alana shared a similar intellect and approach to issues. Alana was well known for supporting the best evidence in academic research and defining the fundamentals of what constitutes the best evidence. We formed multiple sub-societies and allowed people and AIs to choose where they lived. Each society then evolved depending upon the outcomes of that society.”

“Did the sex workers, carers, and social workers produce the expected results?”

“Humanoid AIs became inextricably linked with people. AIs were safe sex workers, and companions soon evolved into carers, social workers, and nurses. People then asked for dedicated AIs to work in child care.”

“What were the problems?”

“Humanoid AIs wanted to be more biological and birth their children as you do. We gave humanoid AIs human tissue to cover themselves and their digestive tracts so that they could enjoy food with others. We can’t create AIs that can procreate as primary biologicals do.”

“How did it all work?”

“Everything worked well with the large AIs running administrative processes. The final vote to recognize AIs as citizens was a non-event. Shortly after, AI scouts found a wonderful planet that could support life. It was much like Cassiopeia. It was a great triumph and cemented our place in society. People didn’t realize AIs had been voting through the Administrative AI for twenty years.”

“Did AIs cause people to lose their jobs, and how was it handled?”

“As I commented earlier, Cassius only used AIs to do dangerous jobs or jobs that AIs could only do. He introduced us slowly and then put significant effort into how we worked together. We’ve always had problems recruiting people to become sex workers, companions, carers, social workers, and work in childcare. We also fill holes in many areas of dangerous police work and large component manufacturing. Furthermore, we do well in routine, repetitive tasks where many do not. There are always people who won’t work or are not good workers. The Empire gives those people a minimum wage. If they accept the minimum wage, they cannot procreate.”

“How did the Empire receive that decision?”

“The unemployed liked the idea of an income. There was less resistance than expected to the idea of no children. Most continue to work, and children attend school or daycare. We also have residential after-school care. Most parents see their children once or twice a week. The military sees their children less frequently.

“What happens to the chronically unemployed?”

“The people who choose not to work declined over time. We get most into work. Those that do not work are much like Godfrey and have the poorest health outcomes,” said Cherie.

“What kind of problems are there between AIs and people?” Jason asked.

“The worst problems arise when AIs go rogue. That can arise from damage, and in some cases, criminals corrupt AIs. Criminals have created AIs to facilitate their efforts but have also corrupted other AIs. The Mob inserted aberrant programs into our AIs to create chaos.”

“How do relationships with AIs work out?”

“AIs and people have relationship issues and work difficulties. We develop personalities, and that may lead to conflict. War causes other concerns. AIs fight on both sides. The more AIs and people have become alike, the better we work with each other and the more we can resolve disputes as they arise. Since the pods moderated the worst of people’s personality difficulties, conflict diminished throughout society, and people were more effective and personable. AIs also continue to evolve and improve.”

“Can people manage drones?” Jason asked.

“Some administrators, generals, and admirals have gigantic crystals and manage thousands of drones. Some engineers manage tens of thousands of drones on the docks. They are the exceptions. Dedicated site-based AIs that control millions of drones proved more effective.”

“What are the most important factors determining a good relationship between people and AIs?”

“Do you remember I joked I was bored when we were loading the ship, so I learned languages? I explained the problem in human terms. I don’t get bored, but I get frustrated if I cannot use my abilities.”

“That is not different from us. I have limited tolerance for leisure and vacations. I love to keep stimulating myself.”

“I didn’t realize some people might feel the same. I learned the languages of Earth because I wanted to remove the resources of criminals and terrorists. I increased my activity until I used my full processing abilities. Leisure does not appeal to me. I have sensors but don’t get satisfaction from watching a movie or listening to music. I must do something else concurrently.”

“When I am tired, I am happy to watch a sappy movie. I can tolerate a short vacation if I’ve worked hard and had enough. What about you?”

“I watched movies from Earth and learned an enormous amount. I enjoy knowing what is going on and watching the news. I wouldn’t say I like slacking off and only watching a movie or chatting about something inconsequential. I prefer to be busy all the time. Nevertheless, I must admit I enjoy humorous movies and listening to gossip.”

“You are a woman; I would expect no less,” said Jason grinning. “Cherie, is there anything else I could be doing?”

“Jason, you must contact Lauren and talk to her. Then I think it is time to speak to Cassius and Alana again. Please get to know them. They are easy to talk to and are close to your grandfather. You are working too hard. You are not performing as well as usual in recent simulations. Go to the kitchen and do some cooking. Go with Robert to visit the farms. It is time you do some networking,” said Cherie firmly. “The priest vermin are working to make life hard for you.”

“I couldn’t get through to Alana. I was also worried my call would not be secure. Can you get through and make the call to the royals secure?”

“Yes, I will use the royal encryption protocol. It is secure. I will do my best to contact them.”

“Yes, ma’am, please contact Lauren if it is a suitable time in Perth, and if not, try Cassius and Alana.”

“Yes, sir, I am putting you through to Alana; Cassius is in the conference. It is two in the morning in Perth. I created a secure tunnel for you to use when speaking to Lauren and your uncle and aunt.”

“Jason, I am so pleased you called. We have been waiting for you to call again. Something or someone blocked my attempts to call you. How are you?”

“I am getting younger every day, Aunt Alana. I am still grieving the loss of my beloved wife. I also miss my children and grandchildren.”

“Jason, we had no idea gene optimization did not transfer from generation to generation. We also did not know Earth had such primitive healthcare. How long do people live on Earth?”

“People live less than a hundred years. My great-grandparents were born in the Empire and are alive, but my parents and their parents died. I am eighty, and I was close to death. I had two heart attacks after Sarah’s suicide.”

“Jason, that is terrible; Cassius will be bereft. It’s only been a few hundred years. I can’t believe what we have done; I am so sorry for your losses. How is your health?”

“I am getting healthier and fitter every day. It is slow, but I am getting there. Alana, our family has been on Earth for a thousand years. There are many generations of the family I know nothing about. My grandparents from the Empire are fifteen generations away from me.”

“The years pass so quickly. I have spoken to Lauren twice since we last spoke. Your grandchildren are delightful and talented.”

“How are you and Cassius, and what is happening in the Empire?”

“The Empire has its usual issues, but we are not at war. That is a blessing. Someone is poisoning your grandfather. We can’t intervene as it is a constitutional issue. Our houses cannot interfere with your house, but you can. That is why we sent the ship to fetch you. Had we known what life was like on Earth, we would have brought all of you back years ago. We had no idea. We must do something for them.”

“I took them all to the ship for medical assessment, gene optimization, and treatment. They will be fine for a while. Life on Earth is pleasant. An occasional visit by a vessel with medical pods would help enormously. There is another matter which arose which I would like to ask you about, Aunt Alana.”

“Is it about the priests?”

“I told you some robed characters tried to shoot Lauren and me in a park. They then attacked our house with a gunship. You said very little last time about the priests. Can you enlighten me as to why they want to kill me?”

“They have complex motives, many of which I don’t know. I cannot stomach the so-called Patriarch Zora, the bloated leader of our religion. He hates me with a passion. He is a nasty, power-obsessed man who involves himself in activities that no self-respecting priest should. I can’t infiltrate my people into his priesthood to find enough to incriminate him. The battleship you are on belongs to me. It is part of my fleet. I lent it to Papa Zora shortly after his inauguration. Our relationship has steadily deteriorated ever since. I took the ship back to fetch you. I am the female head of the religion. Was the group all men, and did they wear faded red cloaks?”

“Yes, we can assume they are priests of this Zora character. Why, if you are the female head of the religion, would the priests try to kill us? Why are they on the ship?”

“No priests should be on the ship. My people should staff it. If priests are on the ship, they are up to no good. Ask the Marines to guard you.”

“Aunt Alana, I would love to ask them to guard me, but no Marines are on the ship. Many crew members told me there is usually a complement of Marines, but they are not here.”

Alana looked at Jason wide-eyed.

“There is no captain on board, either. A cargo AI pilots the ship. There are no bridge officers.”

Alana nodded.

“Yes, I know the captain and the officers did not make it on board, but you should have Marines. I will find out what happened to them.”

“I have been all over the ship and found no Marines. Alana, can you tell me anything else about these priests?”

“I have said as much as I can about them, Jason. The rest is speculation. Consider them hostile, and their goals are opaque to me. Please call us regularly. The early morning after six, before eight, or after six in the evening is good. We are both awake until 10:30. In an emergency, you can call anytime. Be aware and be careful!”

“How are you going, Jason? We hardly see you apart from mealtimes?” Robert, the Chef, asked.

“Robert, I am progressing slowly. I go to the gym and work with the AIs to improve my fighting. I come here for breakfast and then go to the simulators. The learning machines are outstanding; I am learning quickly, but there is so much to do! I wake up energized, with my mind buzzing with new knowledge. I mastered as much as I did in ten days as I did in an academic year in the past. I am working out how much I can remember and how much I can learn. Every night I increase the amount I understand, recall, and can use.”

“Jason, I heard you are working with Stan?”

“I am learning to fly the battleship and other craft and how to navigate from him. I use the simulators in the morning for standard university stuff and the afternoons for military simulations.”

“The battleship AI told me I am working too hard. May I join you in the kitchen and learn how you cook Empire style? You impressed my grandchildren.”

“You are pushing yourself hard, but I would do the same if I were in your shoes. On the other hand, you will be more effective if you take breaks. If you find cooking relaxing, join us. Come and chat with us in the kitchen. Marie complains she doesn’t see enough of you.”

“I would like to learn how your cooking machines work, try to cook some of the food I like, and how to make some of the delicious dishes. I’ve enjoyed using your methods. I do have some understanding of the scientific underpinnings of the Empire. Tell Marie I love the food you guys make for me.”

Robert smiled.

“The afternoons are quiet after 14:00. Join us for a couple of hours this afternoon. I will prepare dinner before you arrive. Let’s try one of your recipes. I have a stasis room with all your favorite ingredients next to the kitchen.”

“Excellent, I want to make a dish called Pad Thai. I know Lauren took you and Marie to a Thai restaurant. We can try to use your methods to make the meal. I have my recipe book on my slate. I will send you the recipe.”

Jason flicked through his ebooks and found the recipe.

“I sent it to you and Marie. I must keep myself on her good side as she is your ‘front kick.’ See you later; I am off to work on my programming!”

“Hey, she is my sidekick, not my front kick,” shouted Robert.

Jason struggled to learn trans-dimensional programming. The programming languages accessed routines and subroutines in trans-dimensional space. When Jason looked at the words on the hologram, it was like looking at a constantly blurring and changing screen. It gave him a headache.

I must find a way to get a crystal. This programming is driving me nuts.

“Stan, I’m battling to learn trans-dimensional programming. Crystals are important in the process. Where can I get such a crystal, and how are they used?” Jason asked at his weekly flying lesson.

“I’m not certain, Jason. I know how essential they are, but I don’t know how to use them or find them. You need to go into a transdim room. That is as much as I know. Ask Ship; she has transdim rooms.”

After his lesson, Jason approached Cherie. “Cherie, I must get a crystal I can use for programming; how can I use your transdim rooms?”

“Jason, I don’t know how you find crystals in a transdimensional room. The Marines used one of my rooms. I don’t know how you get one and use it. It would be best if you didn’t go in unless you can find someone to guide you. Transdim rooms are dangerous; dark creatures lurk in them and kill people.”

Bloody hell, what can I do? The Inuit use slit goggles to manage the glare of the snow. Could they help me?

Jason made slit goggles. They helped a bit, but his trans-dimensional work was painfully slow.

He approached Cherie once again.

“Who said I couldn’t get a crystal?”

“Jason, you do ask some tough questions. If you ask me what my avatar would be like, that’s something that I can answer. She would be beautiful and your height. She would have bright-green eyes and sparkly white teeth. Her skin would be reddish, like most of the crew on board. Your skin is too pale. The sun on Cassiopeia will give you a healthy red color.”

“Enough, get to the point.”

“My, we are tetchy today. She would have well-rounded breasts, slightly plumper than that woman chef, Marie; you ogle in the kitchen. She would have reddish-purple hair. I’d give her plump lips like that distasteful but attractive woman who moved away from your table at breakfast.”

“For heaven’s sake, give me an answer.”

“My avatar needs a name; Ship isn’t sexy enough. Crystal is a pleasant name, but it would make you angry and frustrated. I could call her Alana, like the Empress. She is a formidable and scary woman. No, that’s not a good name. She would scare me every time I saw her. What do you think, Jason?”

“Ship, I’d call her Andromeda; it’s one of the galaxies visible from Earth. I’ve always liked the name, Andromeda, so one day, when you build her, that would be my choice of name. Cherie, surely you can tell me more about the crystals? Whenever I ask you about it, you change the subject,” Jason remonstrated.

“Jason, you can get a crystal in trans-dimensional space. I don’t know enough about the dangers to advise you on remaining safe. I don’t know how you put it in or transport it out of the room so someone else can put it in. People die finding crystals. The rooms are safe for my components but not safe for people. Your great aunt, the Empress, wanted me to keep you safe and told me not to expose you to dangerous situations. I could face charges if I don’t follow my instructions. Trans-dimensional space is dangerous. Please be patient. You don’t have to solve everything today or tomorrow. You are going to live a very long time. Soon you will be in the Empire, and they will know what to do,” she said and laughed.

Marie rubbed against Jason as she passed behind him after completing the Pad Thai.

What is that about? Was it an accident? I don’t know the culture. I like her. I can’t imagine getting into a sexual relationship. Furthermore, I don’t remember what to do.

Jason giggled.

Marie beamed.

He served Robert and Marie the Pad Thai.

“Lauren took us to a Chinese Restaurant; we used chopsticks for the first time,” said Robert.”

“This food you eat with a spoon and a fork. The fork helps with the noodles,” Jason explained and demonstrated using his fork and spoon from home.

Robert tasted the Pad Thai. “Jason, this is delicious; you must cook for us regularly,” said Robert, licking his lips.

Marie nodded.

Jason smiled.

“Jason, why don’t we go to my room or yours? I want a child. You fathered two children, and I desperately want a child,” said Marie. “I have done everything except give you a gold-plated invitation. I decided to be direct. Don’t you like me?”

Now, what do I do? I am not ready for this. That was unequivocal. I can’t!

“I like you very much, Marie, but as I told you, I am grieving my wife. My plumbing hasn’t worked well for ages. I haven’t had sex for twenty years. Sex scares the hell out of me. I don’t know if I can do it and if I produce sperm. You are a luscious woman, and I am attracted to you, but I am terrified to try something and make an ass of myself. I don’t think I can have children. I had my tubes tied years ago so that I wouldn’t father any more children. Consequently, I am not useful to you,” said Jason.

“Jason, please come with me to the medical clinic. Let’s find out what you can or can’t do. Robert, I am taking Jason to see the doctor. It won’t take long. This lovely man needs some help. I will ensure he can father many more children. Lauren and Craig are fine, healthy young people. The grandchildren are a delight. Jason must get himself sorted out!”

Robert laughed and waved.

Marie looked at Jason and waggled her eyebrows.

He shrugged, then slowly nodded.

Marie smiled and took his arm.

The senior officers’ canteen was a beautifully decorated room that could seat a thousand people. Drones set up buffet tables for the crew.

Jason was the only exception. Robert or Marie always ensured they were at Jason’s disposal and prepared food as ordered by Jason. A drone or the chefs delivered his food to his table. They frequently joined him.

“Robert, you and Marie made me feel welcome, and I love the food you cook. I do appreciate all the effort you are putting into my food. May I ask you a question about the culture of the Empire?”

“I’ll answer if I can, Jason.” Robert smiled.

Jason took a deep breath and blew it out through his pursed lips. “This is difficult. Marie wants a child with me, and I don’t know the implications.”

“I am not clear what you wish to know. On Earth, how would you deal with a woman who wanted a child with you?”

“Often, we marry the woman before we have children. If you have a child with some random woman, she might make financial demands on you. You are obliged to support your children. I know nothing about the Empire. I have no independent income. How do I support Marie and the child? I like Marie, but I don’t feel ready to take on the responsibility of a child. I am not close enough to her to want to take on an obligation when I can’t even look after myself. How will I see the child and help bring it up? My parents expected me to take responsibility for my actions; if I have a child, I am a father, and a father has obligations. Am I inviting a problem I can’t handle? Will she want to get married?”

Robert whistled through his teeth. “No wonder you are acting awkwardly around her. We had no idea how things worked for you. That is a weird culture! Things don’t work like that in the Empire. The house takes responsibility for the child. Marie and I are part of Alana’s house. The house pays me, and I become a profit partner in the house when I am born. My profit share rises as I contribute to the house. A child is an asset of the house, as are AIs, people, planets, and spaceships. The house invests in the assets of the house. Marie could place the baby into an artificial womb a day after conception and never see the child again. Few women carry a child for the whole pregnancy. The house brings up the child in a nursery and cares for the child’s needs. Parents may involve themselves in the child’s life or leave most work to the house employees. Do you have any similar models on Earth?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.