The Last Hope Series 2 Book 1 - Cover

The Last Hope Series 2 Book 1

Copyright© 2023 by Hunter Johnson

Chapter 7: Decisions

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 7: Decisions - In this epic sci-fi trilogy, Horti, a young woman with a mysterious past, discovers her destiny as a long-lost princess. As she ventures to the Dinnion Regency, she faces prejudice and becomes entangled in a brewing rebellion. This thrilling adventure explores resilience, friendship, and fighting bigotry, promising a cosmic journey like no other.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa  

Horti walked to the breakfast nook to join her mother.

“Mum, I had a terrible night. My accident dreams returned with a vengeance last night. I also had a dream of Jimmy beating me. He wanted payback, and the Chinese Tongs were after me.”

“Horti, what do you want to do about it?” Vivian asked.

“I booked to see Helax tomorrow. I will see if her pod can sort me out or if I need to go to the ship. Maybe they can’t do anything about it,” said Horti. “I can’t imagine they can fix everything.”

“I am sure they can deal with post-traumatic symptoms and syndromes, dear. It is probably only a tiny gene tweak or a change in the balance of a few circuits. How is the leg feeling?”

“It is an enormous improvement. I would give the prosthesis half out of ten, and the leg is already eight out of ten. Despite my weak muscles, a working leg has reduced my general anxiety and improved my quality of life a thousand percent. I can’t get up from a squat and hold the handrail when descending the stairs. My foot is weak and floppy, and my balance is not good on that leg. However, it is so much better. I can walk, but I must go to the gym daily, and I must go for rehabilitation in Helax’s pod three times a week. The professors want me to do a major rehabilitation session on the ship once a week,” said Horti.

“What about the nerve in the other leg?”

“The medical AI told me he inserted a new nerve, and my brain will fully integrate with the nerve over a month. I don’t mind this form of rehabilitation. I can measure my progress session by session.”

“What do you think about your cancer treatment and the progress of your scars?” Vivian asked.

“I can’t believe they fixed the scars and my blood cancer. In one of my dreams, cancer made me a rotting zombie with scars all over my body. I also had that awful dream of waking up in the theatre and being in agony but couldn’t speak. I felt terrible pain, and I choked,” said Horti. “It was a shocking experience when it happened.”

“That sounds awful!”

“I had a new nightmare. We were at University on Dinnio Prime, and we made our way to our rooms. We didn’t know how to use the toilets or wash our hands. Furthermore, we couldn’t even open the door to the room without help. We didn’t know how to cook or use a single machine. We didn’t know where the beds were. We couldn’t even switch off the light. We slept on the floor.”

Vivian laughed. “You don’t have to worry about that; we get a social worker!”

Brandon strolled into the kitchen, yawning, grabbed a bagel, cut it in half, and put it in the toaster.

“It got worse. We didn’t know the language the next day in class and were so far behind we couldn’t catch up. My leg collapsed during the exercises, and in the martial arts, Dinnion with snouts as long as crocodiles cut us up and pulled us into a muddy river.”

“Horti, your PTSD has returned with a vengeance,” Brandon remarked, then yawned, covering his mouth. He sat down, stood again, then walked to the kitchen to fetch his cereal and milk. “I am making some coffee. Do either of you want any?”

They both nodded.

The toaster pinged. “Someone put a bagel in the toaster. Do you want me to put some cream cheese on it?”

“Darling, you aren’t fully awake. The bagel is yours,” said Vivian. “You put it in the toaster.”

Brendan looked at Vivian, frowning. “Really?”

Horti and Vivian both laughed.

“So, why am I eating cereal?”

“That is your question to ask and answer,” said Vivian placing her hand on his bicep and rubbing it. “Fortunately, you are not absent-minded, or it could be much worse.”

Brendan laughed. “How are things this morning, Horti, or have I already asked?”

“Dad, the dreams are back ... I feel the anxiety is right up there this morning though it is generally better since the new leg ... I feel as if I can’t breathe. Fortunately, there are no flashbacks. Today I will see if Helax can help, and if she can’t, I will ask before my next rehabilitation on the ship.”

“What did your friends think of your little adventure yesterday?” Brandon continued.

The noise of the coffee machine grinding the beans drowned out Horti’s reply. She took a deep breath and started again.

“They were thrilled and congratulated me on receiving a real leg. Aubrey had told me I would get a cybernetic leg with a compartment on the one side where I could keep my chewing gum and, on the other, my laser pistol or a sandwich. I told him it had three compartments.”

“You are fortunate to have three such good friends,” said Vivian.

“Yes, I know.”

“They gave me a list of questions they wanted me to ask ahead of their review and commitment meetings,” said Horti. “Since they decided to go, they are burning to know everything.”

“I guess those questions became part of your nightmares,” Vivian speculated.

Horti nodded. “I gotta go; see you later.”


Horti parked in the same empty parking lot adjacent to the Dinnion recruitment office. There wasn’t another soul parked there.

Horti swung her legs out of the car and used the strap above the door to pull herself up and out. Her new leg felt odd. The sole of her foot was burning, and the toes felt numb. She wiggled her toes. It felt a bit better. She could feel the stump and the sensation of her prosthesis. Phantom limb pain in reverse! It was nothing, as she had a real leg and could walk. Then she was in the operating theater, paralyzed. She felt horrific pain in her chest as the surgeon and resident worked on her. She wanted to scream, but nothing came out. The surgeon and anesthetist were talking about their weekend.

She was back in the car park; her heart was racing, her palms clammy, and she was panting. Her anxiety was sky-high. Horti lurched into the waiting area, her eyes wide and in the middle of a panic attack.

Helax greeted her, smiling. Her smile switched to concern when she saw Horti’s expression. “Horti, what is it?”

Horti couldn’t speak. Helax helped Horti into her office.

A picture of the Dinnion queen, Basarab Afumati, was directly behind Helax on the wall. Horti realized it was a hologram, was 3-D, and was in front of the wall. The queen moved, and her stern face smiled. Horti was taken aback.

“What is it, Horti?”

“I am in the middle of a horrific panic attack,” Horti panted. “I had post-traumatic stress disorder after the accident, and it is back with a vengeance.”

“Post-traumatic syndromes are common, and we can treat you.”

“Helax, my anxiety is sky-high this morning. Can you treat me, or must I go to the ship? When my anxiety is high, I can’t think.”

“That is fine, Horti. Anything else before you go to the pod?”

Horti shook her head and then followed Helax to the nearest cylinder.

Half an hour later, Horti was feeling a lot better.

“How are you feeling, Horti?”

“Helax, I feel a lot better. I feel much less anxious, my leg has stopped burning, and the numbness in the toes is less. Next time I see you, I’ll tell you what happens with the nightmares. The pod talked to the ship’s pod and scheduled some more complex treatment it couldn’t do.”

“How is your leg functioning?”

“Helax, I shall be eternally grateful to you guys. The leg has already transformed my life and my confidence. The burns are no longer visible, and I feel much better. I can look at myself without shuddering.”

“Did the geneticists tell you anything more about your DNA?”

“They advanced my and mum’s gene changeover, and our appearance will change. I will grow fifteen centimeters taller. My mother will grow five centimeters more, and her face will change quite a bit.”

“We will be much stronger. We have natural weapons as well. I have an ax that comes out of my hand, a rapier from between my knuckles, claws like a bear, and a sword-length sharp rod from my elbow,”—Horti demonstrated.

“Horti, that is impressive but not entirely unusual except for the ax out of the side of your hand. The Uzliumbax develop similar weapons. You can use your claws to climb trees, and you will probably also have claws in your feet,” said Helax. “Most advanced civilizations change themselves to be more lethal. What else did they do on the hospital ship?”

“I can now also communicate chemically. They gave my mother and me new generation super crystals and the latest version of an experimental chemical learning machine,” said Horti. “I had a session when I got home.”

“Horti, what is your view about going to Vendaska now?”

“Helax, I am not yet over the line. I am. However, I am almost there,” said Horti.

“Is there anything else?”

“Helax, I was gobsmacked to discover you are an AI, and I discovered so was Piaa. She told me Marthad is a bug. He showed me his appearance before the pod transported me out.”

“You will meet plenty of AIs. Since you have an AI, you are now part AI, part biological. Once we can have children, we will have even less difference. Porquenta showed he could do it, but the process is unbelievably complex.”

“It makes no difference to me how you originated. A womb is a baby factory. Can your pods build a whole person?”

“Yes, we can, but the Collective are masters at building people from scratch. They built the Emperor in a pod just like we build an AI.”

“That is interesting. Is it difficult?”

“For ancient peoples, it is a logical step once they can capture and transfer consciousness. It takes about three-quarters of a million years for most civilizations to reach that point. The rehabilitation after the rebuild is brutal and a nightmare. It takes a year and a half in real-time, but we do it in six days using time condensation techniques. You experienced it in the simulator. You did a day of interviews in half an hour.”

“The professors asked if we wanted more body options. We agreed, but they are first testing the bodies in the bug galaxy. The bug doctor said our genes determine the kind of insect we will become. The bugs can’t wait to discover what bug bodies will form.”

“What body would you like most?”

“I love the idea of being able to be a dragon. I asked if we could get a Dinnion body as one of the options. I want one if people see us as too different and are repulsed by us.”

“I knew we could get shape-changing abilities ever since we worked with the bugs, but I didn’t think of getting a conversion myself. I will go up to the ship with you and get the conversions. I always wanted to fly.”

“Thanks for everything today, Helax. My leg has settled down, and my anxiety has disappeared.”

“Horti, I will see you here three times a week for rehabilitation, and we will reinforce the treatment we gave you for the traumata. Once a week, you will go to the ship for a longer and more comprehensive rehabilitation session and more profound treatment for your post-traumatic syndrome. We need do no more for the burns.”


Two days later, Horti was back.

“What were your questions, Horti?”

“When we get to the campus, how do we know how to cook, where to get food, and find our way around?”

“We allocate a social worker who shows you how to do everything. I will ensure I give you one of our learning machines with detailed information on the campus before you leave. You will find everything you want to know on it. Ask, and the learning machine will teach you. Do you have yours with you?”

“Yes, I carry it with me everywhere!”

“Hold it and ask about opening a door.”

Horti opened her bag, pulled it out, put it in her hand, and closed her eyes.

“Oh my god, everything needs telepathy, and none of us is telepathic.”

Horti, can you hear me?’

’ Yes, of course, I can hear you. I am not deaf.’

’ We are talking telepathically, Horti!’

Heavens, this is outstanding. Have you a door I can open?

Certainly, come with me’- Helax walked to one of the meeting room doors—’imagine there is a door handle in the usual position. Imagine you are turning it. In most places, you instruct the door to open, and it does. If it doesn’t, you open the handle. We can all do telekinesis. It is a weak power, so the door is sensitive to touch. Imagine drawing power into yourself and then using the power to open the door.’

Horti could see streams of energy and had seen them since childhood. Her parents and grandparents told her they could see them as well and had explained to her as a child, they were made up of energy, and she could absorb it. She hadn’t asked all her friends but knew Heather also saw them. She assumed everyone saw them.

Horti saw a thick trunk of energy near her. She absorbed a sliver of it and projected it to open the door.

Nothing happened, so she absorbed the whole trunk for two seconds and used it to twist open the handle.

The heavy metal door groaned, opened, then warped and twisted clockwise in the frame. It ended up like a big, crumpled scrap of tortured metal. Dust filled the room.

Horti burst into tears.

Helax stood before Horti, her mouth open and her eyebrows raised.

“Horti, that was bloody amazing! We can easily fix the door. Girl, you have astonishing power. That is a reinforced door that can resist explosives, and behind it is my storage room. I have never seen anything like it. What did you do to warp the door?” Helax asked.

Horti explained. “I haven’t ever tried to use the energy streams other than to absorb them. Once you said powers, it was logical to use the energy I have always seen.”

“Why did you think there are energy streams?” Helax asked. “I can see far more than those with biological eyes. I cannot see energy streams,” said Helax.

“I see them everywhere. They extend to the heavens and are like trunks of different colors. When I absorb them, I feel good and like I have eaten something. I can fast for a day, and if I feed on the energy, I don’t feel hungry, and I don’t lose weight. I, however, must drink water,” Horti explained. “My whole family can do the same, and so can Heather. I didn’t ask my other friends. I thought everyone sees energy streams?”

“Hang on a second; I will see if there is any available research in the area.”

Helax’s face went blank.

“I connected to the archives of the other civilizations in the Empire. The Gromelix Masters describe these streams. They can manipulate them and use them to cast and use them like highly augmented powers. They meditate for hundreds of thousands of years. It takes them half a million years to see the powers.”

“I remember seeing trunks of power when I was three,” said Horti.

“You must learn to use your minor powers. They are important to master. I will teach you how to use it for telekinesis on a different door. I have five storage rooms. You should get it right by the last one, even if your ordinary powers are weak. Ask your learning machine to teach you how to use your other powers and practice in a safe place. They are simple to use and quick.”

Horti looked at her list.

“How do we learn the Dinnion language?”

“Horti, what language are we speaking?”

“English!”

Helax looked at her.

“Hey, we all speak, Dinnion. We must have learned it in the simulator. I remember reading Dinnion hieroglyphics. I also speak the bug language. This is spectacularly, astoundingly amazing, Helax. I am holding my learning goodie, knowing all the answers are on it. I even have the campus map in my crystal. I don’t need to ask you anything on the list.

“I connected your existing machine to the Dinnion learning server. I realized I don’t have our latest learning AIs here. I will get some for your group. They are much better than the Uzliumbax ones. The new ones teach you to use chemical language sensors and communicate chemically. It is way faster.” Helax smiled.

“Helax, what will it be like for us?”

“The Dinnion don’t have any other humanoid civilizations in the local galaxy. They believe they are the most intelligent and advanced civilization anywhere. I don’t think it is true. The Grork were ahead of us in some areas, and I think the Azloc are way ahead of us, as are the Destroyers and the Uzliumbax AIs, who raced ahead while the Uzliumbax were in stasis,” said Helax.

“What do they think of the Uzliumbax?”

“They think the Uzliumbax and Destroyers are ugly even though they know they will change to look like them. Those with the biggest snouts are the most snobby and will look down on you as ugly. When they find you are not Uzliumbax but are primitives, they will despise you. By any standards, you are brilliant, Horti, but they will doubt you and assume you are stupid. People take a long time to adapt to others and become friendly. It is a stiff, formal society that cannot warm up to anyone. We are only starting to mix with other humanoids. I think they will accelerate our change.”

“What about the AIs?”

“Most are much like the people. They give us Dinnion personalities, and our life is with Dinnion. We are as much Dinnion as the Dinnion and have all their rights. Several of us work at the top levels of government. The big AIs do most of the administration, much of the court work and are involved in every facet of the society.”

“Do people have AI friends, and do any have relationships with AIs?”

“Yes, we have friendships and relationships with people of biological origins. We have all the correct working parts. The Emperor has three AI wives. One is a Ghoul; two are of Safion manufacture and can have children naturally. The first AI child is functioning well. We all hope to have the same conversions or acquire the appropriate casings,” said Helax.

“You mentioned the Collective rebuilt the Emperor,” said Horti.

“An assassin killed him. The Collective built him another body and transferred his consciousness. So, what is he? His closest friend is a Safion AI called Porquenta, who is a massive AI.”

“I told my family I was happy to call you my friend,” Horti confessed.

“I like you too,” said Helax.

“Do AIs like the same things we do, like holidays?”

“Yes, just the same. We can also eat and enjoy food, but we don’t need the energy from food.”

“Do all AIs have biological brains?” Horti asked.

“The space, construction, and mining AIs don’t have biological tissue as they are exposed to continuous high radiation levels or work in dangerous environments. Those working in space have many more limbs and built-in propulsion systems and are bigger and much heavier. Some that work on space stations and shipbuilding are huge and may control tens of thousands of different-sized drone workers. All sophisticated AIs have a simulated biological brain.”

“Can AIs own property and companies?” Horti asked.

“AIs own several of the biggest space-based companies.”

“What problems will we have in the beginning?”

“The University will place you with a cohort of people who have not done well at school. You will do a catch-up with those slack students. The military and the university want to ensure you reach a reasonable standard of physical fitness, fighting ability, and academic prowess when you start the formal academic year,” Helax explained.

“I can imagine our fellow students,” said Horti. “What a joy!”

Helax laughed. “You will do your induction with a group of misfits, many of whom are spoilt, self-indulgent people. You will meet an occasional one who has had an injury as you did. Most will be a caricature of the worst Dinnion you will encounter. The university despises them as many will not study, and they are spoilt and disruptive. The military doesn’t like that group as they do not respond to discipline. They will try getting you to party with them and waste your time.”

“How hard will it be to catch up?”

“You will battle to get fit and take a while to learn to fight. Start exercising and use your learning machine to teach you to fight. You can accomplish a lot. You will take three months to adapt to your leg and build it up fully. Pod rehabilitation helps. Go to the university medical clinic and make sure you do your rehabilitation.”

“I will suggest to the others we start now,” said Horti. “That is if we can, Helax?”

“I will order a gym machine for you to use here. If you decide to go, the military induction starts in six weeks. The earliest you can leave here is in four weeks. If you decide to leave this year, you don’t need to decide until the day before you leave in four weeks.”

“How often should I use the gym machine?” Horti asked.

“You should come in to use it seven days a week. I will borrow a military trainer to teach you to fight. You, your family, and your friends can do it early. You can use the educational simulators here every day. You use your learning machine at night and reinforce what you learn in the simulators.”

Horti frowned and grimaced. “I have never done much exercise, and I hate getting up early.”

“Horti, you should get used to it. That is the routine we teach everyone, and you will exercise and fight daily in the military. The whole Dinnion Regency and every other civilization elected to move to the Uzliumbax standard of twenty years in the military.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.