Golfing With Michael Jordan - Cover

Golfing With Michael Jordan

by Kim Cancer

Copyright© 2023 by Kim Cancer

True Story: A short story about caddying and driving a golf cart for Michael Jordan

Tags: True Story   Celebrity   Humor   Sports  

“Don’t tell me your name. Don’t try to shake my hand.”

“Here are the rules: You do not speak to me unless you are spoken to.”

“You’re not getting an autograph. You’re not getting a picture with me ... I know you’re expecting a tip, but you’re not getting one. The only thing you’re getting from this is that you have the privilege of being with me today. Is that understood? Yeah? Okay? Let’s go.”

Seeing him in person was surreal. I’d seen him millions of times on screens, TV, billboards. I’d worn his jersey and his shoes. And here Michael Jordan was, on a sunny, cool spring afternoon, standing in front of me. So close I could smell his cigar.

And not only was he talking down to me, but Michael Jordan had just refused to shake my hand.

It can’t be understated how freakishly tall NBA basketball players are compared to regular-sized humans. Michael Jordan, too, more than anyone I’d ever seen, just seemed impossibly tall. Like taller than the tallest skyscraper.

He had a certain glow to him too. I’d noticed that with celebrities that’d played our course. Bill Murray certainly had it. But Michael Jordan had it more than anyone. Perhaps it’s the “it” that people talk about. That hard to define, “star” quality, and there really was something surreal watching Michael Jordan, Air Jordan, stand in front of me in plaid shorts, a purple polo shirt and gray tweed flat hat. The Jumpman himself, chomping on a cigar while eying, unsheathing and inspecting golf clubs.

Being starstruck, it took a second to register his refusal of my handshake. And that he possessed a character quality different than indifference. His demeanor was more one of disdain. It was evident in his lack of eye contact and the icy, antagonistic tone in which he spoke to me. And even more so with what he’d said.

The club had strict rules regarding workers around celebrities. If you asked for autographs, selfies, or fanned out on anyone famous, you’d be shown the door. Quickly and without severance pay. So it was odd he had given me these particular instructions. I’d driven for and carried clubs for other celebrities and found most cordial, if nothing else, and some quite garrulous, joking and roasting everyone, like Bill Murray.

But Mike was something else...

I was driving the golf cart and Mike was seated in the back. While smoking his cigar, I heard him speaking on the phone, talking what sounded like business, and his dialogue was full of curse words. This was prior to his Last Dance documentary, so I must admit that I was more accustomed to squeaky-clean Mike, McDonald’s Mike. Space Jam Mike. I couldn’t have envisioned Michael Jordan, in Space Jam, calling Bugs Bunny a “flaming faggot.” So it was just weird hearing MJ cursing like a drunken sailor. I guess it can be quite revealing to see how celebrities interact with others. How they talk when they’re not being coached by a publicist.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.