Bed Hopping - Cover

Bed Hopping

Copyright© 2023 by Myll Apila

Chapter 53

“Perhaps Dr Wells might be able to offer some advice about what to do with the coin,” suggested Janey.

“That’s a good idea,” I agreed. “Even if Dr Wells can’t personally help, he’s got a wide range of contacts who might. And if the museum can’t afford to buy the coin, we could ask him whether he’d be interested in making replicas for display. I think I’ll go and see him tomorrow, although I don’t think I dare risk taking the coin with me on my bike.”

“Would you like me to come with you?” Dad asked. “I could drive us there.”

I knew it meant him taking time off work, but it would solve any ‘responsible adult’ problems. And it might help to close any remaining distance between us. “Yes please, if it’s okay for you to take the time off work.”

“That’s not a problem,” said Dad. “I don’t have any meetings scheduled for tomorrow morning. I’ll ring work tomorrow to let them know.”

“In that case I’ll go into work all day tomorrow. There’s a lot of catching up to do,” said Mum. “But I do have a suggestion about where to keep the coin. We have a strongroom for clients to store valuables in safe deposit boxes. There’s normally a charge but it’s free for employees and their immediate families. I’ll check but I think contents are insured up to half a million pounds, which is better than nothing. Would you like me to ask about keeping your coin in one?”

“I might have a better alternative,” Dad jumped in before I could answer. “There’s a hush-hush secure storage facility at one of our offices. Contents are insured up to five million pounds.” Then his eagerness evaporated. “That’s if you trust me,” he added.

That comment showed some distance was still present.

Mum nodded in his support.

“Thanks, that’s a lot safer than keeping it here,” I admitted.

“Then why don’t we take the coin with us tomorrow when we go to see Dr Wells,” suggested Dad. “He might appreciate seeing it again now that it’s been professionally cleaned. Then afterwards I’ll take you to the office with the secure storage facility and we can deposit the coin together.”

“Thanks, that would be great,” I agreed.

“You’ll need photo ID so bring your passport,” said Dad. “Now that we’ve agreed on the way forward, is there anything else we need to discuss?”

“Jon’s catch-up schoolwork,” said Mum. “The school said he was still keeping up pretty well but I’ve noticed his grades have been slipping and I expect our little jaunt to Italy won’t have helped the situation.”

“I’m doing my best,” I said, “but I’m missing out on laboratory experience and the personal interaction with teachers.”

“In that case, I’ll get in touch with your school and ask about summer catch-up tuition,” said Mum.

“Can we afford it?”

“I think we can manage,” said Mum enigmatically.

It had been a long meeting and it was time for bed already. It sounded like I might have an interesting morning and I wanted to be well-rested for it so I didn’t even think of staying up late. But I was just about to get into bed when I recognised Janey’s knock on my door. I let her in.

“I want the inside story on your trip to Italy,” Janey demanded.

“It really was as uneventful as Mum made out,” I said. “She drove us to Italy, I sleepwalked, I met Dr Giovanelli in person and saw the inside of her apartment. She gave me the coin, we shared a celebratory cup of tea that tasted like washing-up liquid tea, then she dropped me off back at the hotel where Mum and I were staying.”

Janey didn’t look convinced.

“Can we continue this another time?” I asked. “I need my beauty sleep ready for tomorrow.”

Janey snorted. “Okay, Dork. But it’s getting close to matchsticks under fingernails time.”

I shook my head resignedly as Janey departed.

It seemed strange having Dad with us at breakfast the next morning. He confirmed that he’d already called work and arranged to take the morning off.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.