Bed Hopping - Cover

Bed Hopping

Copyright© 2023 by Myll Apila

Chapter 45

After dinner, Mum wanted to check what I had packed. I had left Ms Edgeway’s mobile phone and charger out of the suitcase for just that eventuality. After she added a couple of items she declared herself satisfied: we could buy anything we had forgotten en route. When Mum left to finish her own packing, I put the phone and charger at the bottom of a small backpack I had decided to keep with me, ostensibly to carry essentials in case we did any sightseeing on foot. The second and third doorstop novels I put into a another bag. Dad had warned me that long-distance car journeys were boring and I should take something to read.

The next morning I was surprised when Dad joined us at breakfast. “The first couple of months after the end of the tax year are a nightmare at work,” he explained. “But I felt it important to wish you luck and safe travels before you leave. I wish I could stay until lunchtime to see you off, but I think that would make me very unpopular with my colleagues.”

The early retirement of Calvin Jennings, his former Regional HR Manager, had clearly had a beneficial effect on my dad. He seemed much more relaxed around me, which gave me confidence that our reconciliation appraisal meeting would be a mere formality. Although not up to a man-hug, Dad gave me a sincere smile and a warm handshake before leaving for work.

We spent the rest of the morning mostly doing busy work, although Mum had to field a couple of calls from work, more evidence that they were struggling without her. “Right, that’s their lot,” proclaimed Mum after the second call, which lasted nearly half an hour. “They’re now going cold turkey until we’re back.”

After an early lunch, it was finally time to set off. We’d loaded the car before lunch, our suitcases fitting comfortably in the back. I got a knowing shake of the head from Mum when I produced the bag with the two doorstop novels, but she followed it with a wry smile to show she was fine with the extra baggage. I stowed my backpack underneath the front passenger seat. For plausibility I had added a towel, a bottle of water, a banana and some assorted nibbles.

Mum had some last minute instructions for Janey, including to go easy on Dad and not to take advantage of his working long hours. And Mum emphasised no friends over without prior permission, earning a scowl of disapproval from Janey and a couple of hoarse-sounding coughs. She was getting really good at those.

I interceded by giving Janey a hug. “How on earth will you survive without me to help you with your homework,” I mocked.

“When do you ever help me?” she countered.

“What about last week’s maths homework? And science too.”

“Okay,” she conceded. “Promise me you’ll be careful. You may be a dork but you’re my favourite brother.”

“Pinkie promise?” I offered, holding out my pinkie.

Janey reciprocated by shaking it with her own pinkie. Then she stabbed the back of my hand with her fingernails.

“Brat!” I protested, but I was smiling, remembering how the last time she’d done that had saved me from making a fool of myself in front of Dr Giovanelli. “Look after yourself, and if you have any emergencies, Mrs Thomas is just a few doors away,” I said, repeating what had been said many times the previous evening.

“Just leave the parenting to me,” snorted Mum, reminding us of her presence. Realising that we’d just endangered the false image presented by our normal public bickering, we leapt apart like scalded cats. But Mum didn’t seem concerned.

“I’ll learn Italian so I can come and visit you in jail,” said Janey.

“No need. They’ll execute me for witchcraft. They still do that in Italy,” I joked.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.