Bed Hopping - Cover

Bed Hopping

Copyright© 2023 by Myll Apila

Chapter 37

I was just about to get up to leave when Ms Edgeway spoke again. “Jon, there have been some developments you should know about. I was planning to bring them up at the meeting with your family so that I could tell you and your parents at the same time. Since we’re delaying the meeting, I’ll tell you now and also let Kathy know when we have our chat.”

She adjusted the sheet of paper in front of her, and from upside down I could tell it was a list of bullet points.

“First, Dr Rabdoolia surrendered his passport and has been released on bail. He’s supposed to check in with the police every week. He shouldn’t be a problem, what with the restraining order against him, but it would be wise to stay alert. However I don’t think you’re actually in any danger from him. You should be aware of the possibility that Dr Rabdoolia isn’t all bad.”

“What?” That totally threw me.

“If you think about it, he could have given you a much stronger dose of the anti-psychotic so the effects would have become permanent much more quickly. And he underdosed you with sedative, anticipating you’d wake up during your parents’ visit. I think at some level he was hoping someone would stop him.”

The idea that Dr Rabdoolia might have a conscience was something I couldn’t wrap my mind around. “Okay,” I replied unthinkingly, although I didn’t actually mean it.

“Second, I have some information I think you should know, but you ought to have a parent or guardian with you when I disclose it.”

“I’d say you’re pretty much fulfilling the role of guardian until we decide whether my reconciliation with my parents was successful,” I countered.

“Okay, I suppose these are abnormal circumstances,” agreed Ms Edgeway. “The police have long suspected that Norris Ferguson was secretly disposing of his enemies. Several have mysteriously disappeared over the years, never to be seen again. So if Mr Ferguson had wanted you dead, he could probably have made it happen quickly and discreetly. But Dr Rabdoolia told police that Mr Ferguson hadn’t pressured him to kill you, but to mentally and physically destroy you so you’d be little better than a vegetable for the rest of your life.”

“Shit! I know he’s Alex Ferguson’s dad but I hope he never gets to see the light of day again.”

“At the moment he’s facing a very long stretch in prison but, unless the police can find proof that he was responsible for the murders of the people who disappeared, he won’t get a whole of life sentence.”

“Any more bad news?” I grimaced.

“My next item is better news. Forensic specialists have finished processing FreshFields and the drug warehouse,” said Ms Edgeway. “If you make an appointment, you can go and identify and collect your personal possessions. You’ll need a responsible adult with you though.”

There was that ‘responsible adult’ thing again. Still, at least I could get my watch back.

“And the final items,” resumed Ms Edgeway. “Police have seized the contents of Freshfields’ and Norris Ferguson’s bank accounts as being the proceeds of crime. Obviously that greatly reduces the chances of getting a worthwhile sum from the damages claim, although there’s an outside chance you might end up owning the FreshFields building. I’ve applied for Criminal Injuries compensation for you, but they’re not exactly generous with their money and you’ve made a full recovery so I don’t think there’s much hope. However the police have been sympathetic towards the suggestion of paying a reward, so they might rustle up something for you. It won’t be life-changing though.”

That really was the end of the meeting. Debbie had to show me out as it needed a security card to open the rear entrance without setting off an alarm. I silently scolded my subconscious for choosing her to dream about.

My bike was just how I’d left it, so I released it from the metal post and cycled the short distance to the museum. I had to wait a few minutes for Dr Wells to become free, then he escorted me into the back room where we usually met.

I showed Dr Wells my weekend finds. As I expected, the Roman coins were run-of-the-mill. The museum wasn’t interested in them but they’d be worth a little on eBay. Then he examined the two non-Roman coins and his eyes lit up. “Roman coins are relatively common around here because in Roman times, the town was a major intersection of trade routes, but coins of post-Roman manufacture are relatively scarce. This is a bronze penny,” he said, indicating one of the coins. “It’s probably from the late Middle Ages. The museum would probably be interested in purchasing it but it’s not in good condition so it will be difficult to date and value. I’d like to send it away to the same expert as your previous coin just in case. However, that would need authorisation by a responsible adult.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.