Bed Hopping - Cover

Bed Hopping

Copyright© 2023 by Myll Apila

Chapter 36

The next two weeks were pretty similar. More schoolwork catch-up, after which I reckoned I was about a week behind my classmates so I predicted I’d be caught up within another two weeks. My grades were still good, although slightly lower than they might have been because I had missed out on interacting with the teachers and sessions in the laboratory.

For light reading I alternated between the second Russian doorstop novel and my medical textbook. I decided to start by skimming through the subjects I’d read about in Sandra’s version to check for significant updates. Or was I just delaying read the section on the brain because I was afraid I wouldn’t find anything useful?

I continued to text Ms Edgeway every couple of days to let her know things were still okay, even improving slightly since my parents seemed to be slowly relaxing a little around me. I even sent Sandra a text to let her know I was okay, I was now fifteen, I had an up-to-date edition of her medical textbook, and I was keeping her key safe. I didn’t get a reply.

The weekend after my unsuccessful moors visit, I had a couple more sessions of competitively eviscerating spawn from hell with Dex and Phil. Again I came third but I was catching up. Unbidden, I also did some garden maintenance and other chores to earn brownie points with my parents.

The following weekend I went to the moors again. We still hadn’t had any rain apart from the odd shower so I wasn’t over-enthusiastic about it, but I thought it important to establish a routine. Since there was little point searching for the hummock again, I spent most of the time metal-detecting. I explored a distant area I couldn’t remember visiting before and I found a few old coins. Some I recognised from having had Dr Wells identify similar coins, but a couple were unlike any I’d found before, although nothing resembling the valuable coin currently being scrutinised by Italian experts. They seemed crudely made and from what I could make out, their inscriptions were more likely English than Latin. I deemed them worthy of a visit to Dr Wells. I wondered whether my parents would object if I visited him during the week. I decided it would be better to ask sooner rather than later, before the month’s trial reconciliation ended and we had another meeting with Ms Edgeway.

I showed Mum and Dad the coins when I got home. They agreed with my assessment, that Dr Wells might be interested in seeing the two unusual specimens.

“It’s been a while since I last saw him so I’d better call him in advance,” I pointed out. “Is it okay to take them to the museum during the week?”

Dad thought for a second. “Monday’s a Bank Holiday. If you do schoolwork on Monday, then I’m okay with a midweek visit.”

Mum nodded her agreement. Janey smirked at my discomfort. I’d forgotten about the Bank Holiday. Still, I couldn’t really complain.

Even though it was the weekend, and a Bank Holiday weekend at that, I got a text from Ms Edgeway asking if everything was still fine. I replied in the affirmative.

‘The trial month is almost over. Would you like to talk before we sit down with your parents again? I can fit you in next week.’

I thought for a while. My parents were still taking pains to avoid upsetting me and my Dad still seemed to be avoiding me. ‘Yes please,’ I texted back.

We provisionally arranged for Wednesday. I phoned the museum on Tuesday and Dr Wells agreed Wednesday would be fine for him too, so I could kill two birds with one stone. The museum was quite a way to cycle but Ms Edgeway’s office was relatively close to it as both were in the centre of town.

Because Ms Edgeway had specified a time and Dr Wells had said to turn up any time, I went to Ms Edgeway’s office first. Unlike the museum, there didn’t seem a safe place to secure my bike outside so I used the entryphone system to ask if there was a suitable location for it. The receptionist replied that there was a small car park to the rear of the building. It was intended for staff only but a bike would be no problem. She gave me directions and said she’d wait by the rear door to admit me.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.