Bed Hopping - Cover

Bed Hopping

Copyright© 2023 by Myll Apila

Chapter 32

“Now, where were we?” asked Ms Edgeway after our beverages had been delivered. “Jon, what’s next on your list of objectives?”

“I want to be allowed back on the moors to continue metal detecting,” I asserted. Then, noticing my dad seemed about to object, I continued, “I know last time didn’t end well but I’d been perfectly safe every time before that and I’ve learned my lesson. I won’t make the same mistake again.”

Again Dad seemed about to say something but Mum put her hand on his arm to stay him. “I don’t have any objections to that,” she said. Dad didn’t look happy but kept his peace.

“And I understand someone has a birthday coming up soon and my lawyer suggested I ask for something special for a present. I’d like a certain medical textbook but it retails for around a hundred and twenty pounds.”

Mum and Dad grimaced, Janey muttered, “Typical Dork!”

“I think we could manage that,” conceded Mum, “but would you be prepared to put some of any reward money towards it?”

“I’d happily pay the whole sum if I got five million in damages,” I joked, lightening the mood.

“Anything else on your list?” Ms Edgeway asked me.

“No, that’s all.”

“John and Kathy, what about you? Do you have any concerns?” asked Ms Edgeway.

“The issue of Jon’s sleepwalking is still unresolved,” said Dad. “Dr Rabdoolia led us to believe that he was solving the problem then Janey said that Jon used it to escape from FreshFields. Is that true, Jon?”

“I don’t know what’s happening to me but I think my mind is learning to protect me,” I said, cognisant of my face feeling warmer. “With the Brenda Rodgers incident, I woke up almost in time to stop it but I was just past the point of no return. While I was in hiding there was another incident but I woke up just before the point of no return. I was able to relax, the headache gradually receded and I stayed in my own bed.”

I snuck a quick glance at Ms Edgeway. I hoped I’d been unobtrusive but Janey gave a loud gasp, her mouth in an ‘o’ of surprise as she turned to stare at Ms Edgeway.

Ms Edgeway’s attention was drawn by Janey’s gasp and she must have seen that Janey was looking at her because she switched her attention to me. I saw the moment realisation hit her and my face suddenly became hotter than the sun. Then Ms Edgeway, the hard-bitten former policewoman, blushed too. “Well,” she said, “I’m flattered. But I’m glad you managed to control it: that would have been very awkward for both of us.”

“I’m sorry,” I started to gabble, “I didn’t mean...”

My fear of talking to females had just come back full force, but under the table Janey jabbed the back of my hand with a fork. I turned to scowl at her then realised what she’d done. I’d have to thank her later.

I took a deep breath then continued in a more controlled way, “I’m afraid I have no control over those who appear in my dreams.”

At that point Mum and Dad caught on, and that killed that topic of discussion because everyone was too embarrassed to continue it.

“Have you reached a decision or do you need time to think about it?” Mum asked me.

I nodded to Ms Edgeway.

“My top priority is Jon’s well-being,” said Ms Edgeway. “I don’t think you’ve done enough to regain Jon’s full trust, but he’d like to return home on a trial basis. I suggest another meeting in a month’s time to discuss progress. In the meantime I will be constantly monitoring Jon’s safety and he’s welcome to contact me at any time if he needs help.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.