Bed Hopping - Cover

Bed Hopping

Copyright© 2023 by Myll Apila

Chapter 25

I had cleared up the debris and Sandra was just about to settle down in front of her daily ration of soaps when Ms Edgeway’s phone rang again.

“Hello Jon, sorry to call you so late. I’ve just had a very interesting chat with Richard Masson,” said Ms Edgeway.

I shouldn’t have expected it to be anyone else calling that number but I was surprised she was working so late. “Did you come up with a backup plan?” I asked.

“No, but Richard assured me that one isn’t necessary,” said Ms Edgeway. “The Chief Constable got back to Richard and they had a very frank discussion about our complaint. Richard says that something is going on that he’s not currently allowed to tell me about. However he acknowledges that’s little comfort to you so he’s planning something a little underhand to reassure you. If you can get to my office by 10 o’clock tomorrow morning, we should be able to listen in to the application to have you sectioned getting derailed.”

My first thought was no way! At the moment neither Richard Masson nor Ms Edgeway knew where I was and I wanted to keep it that way. But Mrs Thomas had said I could trust Ms Edgeway and I trusted Mrs Thomas. “I’ll call Mrs Thomas and ask whether she can give me a lift,” I said. “I assume there won’t be any problem with her listening in too.” I figured her presence would be an additional guarantee of my safety.

“I think it’s a good idea to have a responsible adult with you,” said Ms Edgeway. “Richard probably won’t be overjoyed at another person being privy to whatever the Chief Constable shared with him, but I see no reason to tell him.”

That little co-conspiratorial gesture worked wonders to reassure me and boost my mood.

After the call ended, I provided a summary to Sandra and asked her to call her sister: I couldn’t risk doing it myself in case Dex answered. That turned out to be very fortuitous because Dex answered the phone and chatted to his aunt for a while. Finally Sandra was able to talk to her sister and, after several more minutes of chat, Sandra handed me the phone.

After I explained about FreshFields trying to section me, and Richard Masson and Ms Edgeway setting it up for me to listen in, Mrs Thomas readily agree to pick me up from her sister’s apartment at about half past nine and be my minder, as it were, at Ms Edgeway’s office.

“I’d better give you the spare key,” said Sandra. She went into her bedroom and returned with a door key on a piece of string. “Don’t lose it. The landlords charge me a fortune to change the locks every time I kick a man out.”

Friday morning Mrs Thomas picked me up as arranged. Sandra had already left for work so I was responsible for locking up. Mrs Thomas gave me a really weird look as I handed her a carrier bag that contained Dex’s old clothes, washed and ironed, that I had borrowed. Ms Edgeway collected us from reception and led us into her office then fetched a round of coffees.

We sat there waiting expectantly until almost half past ten; I wished I’d brought a book with me.

The landline in Ms Edgeway’s office rang. She answered the phone and listened for a few seconds. “Okay, we’re up,” she said, switching to speakerphone and pressing the mute button so nobody at the other end of the line could hear us.

“Application for the sectioning of a patient currently under the care of Dr Iskas Rabdoolia at FreshFields Mental Health Clinic,” announced a voice.

“Dr Rabdoolia?” said another voice.

“Your Honour,” said Dr Rabdoolia. “The patient, Jon Snow, is currently being treated voluntarily at my clinic. In my professional opinion, the patient is a danger to himself and the public, particularly young girls, so I am applying for his stay to be made compulsory until such time as my team and I consider him fit for release.”

“Well, that all seems straightforward,” said the judge. “If there are no objections...”

“Objection!” There was no mistaking Richard Masson’s voice.

“Mr Masson, I was wondering why you were in my courtroom today. This is most irregular. What is your interest in this case? Are you representing the patient?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.