Bed Hopping - Cover

Bed Hopping

Copyright© 2023 by Myll Apila

Chapter 9

Late morning, an orderly came to take my lunch order and, seeing me lying there with nothing to do, took pity on me and brought me a selection of reading material and games from the children’s ward.

After lunch I was taken for another MRI scan, only I was awake this time. That involved putting on ear protection then being slid inside a claustrophobia-inducing, ominously clanking and humming metal tube and being told to keep absolutely still. Somehow I survived the ordeal.

When I was back in bed, two more nurses turned up to give me another EEG.

“It’s nothing to worry about,” said one of them. “Dr Kelleher just wants to verify something from your EEG this morning.”

Again electrodes were stuck all over my skull and again I had to lie still for a long time.

When Mum, Dad and Janey showed up in the evening, Dr Kelleher paid a visit to give an update. “I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about and the results were mostly within the parameters of normal, but there was what looked like some unusual brain activity I have never encountered before in this morning’s scan. We gave him another scan this afternoon to check that it wasn’t some sort of interference but, although it had almost disappeared, there was enough residual activity in the afternoon scan to show it wasn’t an error. I’d like to keep Jon in hospital one more day for further tests.”

“Wow, the dork’s brain finally had a brainwave,” cracked Janey, after Dr Kelleher had left.

That got me thinking. Had the metal object I had found in the bog somehow damaged my mind? And what did ‘compatibility eighty four percent’ mean, or had I just imagined it? Putting that metal object on my head was turning out to be a very bad choice!

My parents noticed my introspection and didn’t stay long.

The next morning, nurses arrived and took another EEG, then same again in the afternoon.

My parents turned up in the evening with Janey, expecting to be able to take me home, but Dr Kelleher interceded. “Jon’s latest EEG is absolutely normal. All the unusual activity has subsided. I’ve been trying to contact a world-leading neurological expert in America and I’m expecting a call-back in the next few hours. I’d like to keep Jon in overnight in case he asks for more tests but I’m sure there’s nothing for you to worry about.”

That went down like a lead balloon with my parents, but they agreed I could stay another night and Dr Kelleher agreed that during the day I could wear the clothes and footwear my parents had brought rather than my pyjamas.

The following evening I was dressed and ready to go home when there was a knock at the door. It was Mr Masson.

“Hi Jon, are your parents around?”

“They should be here any moment. I’m going home this evening, as soon as Dr Kelleher gets my discharge approved.”

“I’ve got some good news for you, but I’ll wait until your parents are here.”

A couple of minutes later a nurse entered. “Mr Snow, there’s a young woman outside who would like to see you. Her name’s Alexandra Ferguson. Should I admit her?”

I was gobsmacked. What on earth could she want? “Um, yes, I suppose so.”

“Hi Jon,” said Alex as she entered the room, smiling a gorgeous smile, then she halted when she saw I wasn’t alone. She had changed out of her school uniform into a simple top and jeans but she looked absolutely spectacular.

“Hi Alex,” I said. “This is Mr Masson, our family lawyer. He’s waiting for my parents.”

“Would you like some privacy?” suggested Mr Masson.

There was nothing about Alex’s demeanour that suggested ill-will. “Please, if you wouldn’t mind,” I said.

Richard Masson left the room then Alex walked over to the bed. “I saw Janey at school today and she said you were still here,” she said. “How are you feeling?”

“I feel fine. There was something unusual about an electroencephalogram and the doctor wanted to consult with a expert neurologist in America. But all being well I’ll be discharged in a few minutes.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.