Why Are You Asking Me That? - Cover

Why Are You Asking Me That?

by Just Plain Bob

Copyright© 2022 by Just Plain Bob

Fiction Story: Something bad happened.

Caution: This Fiction Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Fiction   .

Mr. Dalton?”

“Yes Marge.”

“There are two gentlemen her to see you.”

“Do they have appointments?”

“No sir; they are policemen and they say they have to talk to you.”

“Please send them in.”

The door opened and two men came in and I stood to greet them. The two were Detective Owens and his partner Detective Franks. I indicated two chairs along the wall and then asked:

“What can I do for you gentlemen? I presume it has something to do with my ex-wife?”

“Ex-wife?”

“She isn’t legally my ex-wife yet, but the divorce is in progress. In my mind however she is an ex and good riddance.”

“You are right in that our visit has to do with Mrs. Dalton. We have received information that leads us to believe that you...”

“Just hold it right there. This meeting is over. You can remain in the outer office until I can get my attorney down here.”

Franks said ‘We could just take you downtown and talk in an interrogation room.”

“And I wouldn’t say a fucking word until my attorney was present and then I might just refuse to say a fucking word at all. I understand you want to close this case and I know my hatred of the bitch makes me a person of interest as the saying goes, but I will not cooperate. I hope whoever did it gets clean away. Whoever it was has my undying gratitude for doing something to the bitch that I wished I’d had balls enough to do.

“Ball is in your court! Are you going to wait while I call my attorney, take me to jail and wait for my attorney or leave and make better use of your time?”

Franks said “I’m all for option two. I don’t much like your attitude and taking you out of here in handcuffs in front of all the people in your office might make you a little more humble.”

“I don’t think that will be necessary John” Owens said, “We can wait to talk to Mr. Dalton.” Then to me he said “Here is my card. Call your attorney, find out when he can be here and then call me and we will come back.”

“Just wait in the outer office. Tell Marge if you would like coffee or a soft drink while you wait. My attorney’s office is just two floors up and he or one of his associates can be right down.”

They got up and moved to the outer office and as they went it suddenly occurred to me that I had just seen the “Good cop, bad cop” scenario in action.

I picked up the phone and called my attorney and when the receptionist put me through to him I told him the police were here to talk to me and from the way the talk seemed headed I felt that I needed his presence. John told me he would be right down and four minutes later he walked into the office.

I told him how the conversation had started, why I had cut it off and called him. He told me I’d been wise to do it and then I let Marge know she could send the detective back in.

Once they were back in the office I made the introductions and waited to see what would happen next. Detective Owens said:

“As I was saying before Mr. Dalton stopped things, we have received information that leads us to believe that Mr. Dalton may have had a hand in what happened to Mrs. Dalton.”

Before I could say a word John said “Obviously this information is not totally credible or you would be here to arrest my client and not talk to him.”

“That could still happen” Franks said.

“I realize it is in everyone’s best interest to cooperate with the local authorities” I said, “But if that man” I said pointing at Franks, “Opens his mouth one more time with a sarcastic remark this interview is over and you can take me to jail and John here can start the false arrest suit against the city. Are we clear?”

“There, there now” John said, “Just cool things down a little here. Go on Detective.”

“Mr. Dalton; do you know a William Neubert?”

“Slick Willie? I’ve known him for years.”

“You admit to knowing him?”

“Of course I do. We grew up together. I’ve known him since we were eight years old.”

“Are you aware that Mr. Neubert has ties to the Montoni family?”

Of course I know that. He was married to Maria Montoni until she died of cancer a few years back. I was the best man at his wedding. I’ve got ties to the Montoni family. I dated Angelica Montoni for a year and I still play golf with John Montoni four or five times a year and my wife is Alberto Montoni’s niece. Now could we please get on with what you are here about? I’ve got a ton of work on my desk to plow through.

Then it hit me!

“Shit! I know what this is about. The Montoni’s are reputed to have ties to organized crime. Willie is connected to the Montoni’s. I was seen talking to Willie. Ergo, I must have somehow arranged for the Montoni’s to use the underworld connections to cause what happened to Carmen.”

I could see from the look that came over Frank’s face that I’d scored a bullseye. Detective Owens said:

“I think you just ruined my partner’s day. He thought for sure we might be onto something.”

“Sorry to have burst your bubble Detective Franks. If you gentlemen have nothing else I have a ton of work I need to back to.”

They got up and left and I asked John “Do you think they will drop me as a suspect or should I keep you on speed dial?”

“They are cops. Once they set their sights on you they don’t tend to walk away until they are sure in their own minds that you didn’t do it. I don’t think they are done with you. Keep your phone handy.”


The story that brought the police to my office had its beginnings when Billy Neubert’s family moved into the house next door from ours. Billy and I ended up best friends.

In high school Billy got the screaming hots for Maria Montoni. Maria had no time for Billy since he wasn’t one of the ‘cool guys. He wasn’t the quarterback on the football team, he didn’t pitch on the baseball team, he didn’t like basketball and had no urge to try and understand the game let alone play it. And most of all, Billy didn’t have a car. At that point in his life he didn’t even have a license. As a result of all the above Billy had to watch as the object of his desire spent all her time with those who, according to Bill, unworthy of her.

He tried to get to her, but never got her to say yes. He tried in the nineth, tenth and the eleventh grade and got nowhere, but in the twelfth grade a miracle happened. Billy finally got Maria to say yes. But it was a conditional yes. It wasn’t Billy’s charm or looks that got him that yes.

It was me.

And no, I did not go to Maria and talk her into giving Billy that date. It turned out that Maria’s younger sister, who was a grade behind us had a crush on me. I’d seen her around and even though she was a great looking girl I had no interest in her. I was too busy chasing the great looking girls in my own class. And I’d had a fair bit of luck.

I’d lost my virginity to Pauline French three weeks before the senior prom and we went at it hot and heavy until she dropped me to go to the senior prom with Dick Moore. Billy’s sister Nancy furthered my sexual education with a little help along the way from Carol Meis.

What got Billy his date with Maria was him talking me into going on a double date with him, Maria and her sister Angelica. I’d just broken up with Carol and was at loose ends so I agreed to do it as a favor to Billy.

Something ‘clicked’ between Maria and Billy and from that point on they were a steady couple. Angelica and I hit it off and we started keeping steady company also.

Billy and I graduated and moved on to State which was two hours away from our home town. I still dated Angelica, but I could tell she wasn’t happy with me not being around on a daily basis so I wasn’t surprised when I came

home one Friday and called her to see what she wanted to do that evening and she told me she already had a date for the night. I told her to have a good time and I hung up on her.

I called around and found out there was a party at Gene Ellsworth’s place and since we were good friends I invited myself. Carol Meis was there without a date and we hooked up. I asked her out for dinner and a movie on Saturday, she said yes and the date ended up in room 114 at the Motel 6.

Sunday afternoon I got a phone call from Angelica. “You didn’t call yesterday.”

““Didn’t see any need to.”

“But you always call. We always date when you come home.”

“Yes Angie; always. When I get home from school on Friday I call to see what you would like to do. Always. And we go out and have a good time. Always. Always except for last Friday. Last Friday I came home like always. I called you like always. I asked you what you would like to do like always. You catch where I’m going with this?”

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.