Lost & Found - Cover

Lost & Found

Copyright© 2022 by Marc Nobbs

Chapter 6

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 6 - Beth has lost the most important person in her life—her baby brother. The one person she wants to comfort her lives three thousand miles and five time zones away. And to cap it all, she's fallen out with her father. Again. Could things possibly get any worse? Written initially for Ruthie's Club and then published by Phaze before their demise.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Fiction  

“We should be at my folks’. I’m expected.”

“I don’t know the way. Besides, I thought you might like to freshen up first.”

She looked at him and smiled. “Thanks, that’s really thoughtful. I won’t be very long. I promise.”

Beth was as good as her word. Within fifteen minutes, they had turned into the Burnett’s street, which was lined with parked cars along both sides.

“There’s a parking lot in Lincoln Gardens,” Beth said. “It’s only a short walk.”

Before they went through the gate into the Burnett’s backyard, Beth stopped and faced Chris. “Whatever happens this afternoon, whatever’s said, I want you to know that I appreciate you being here for me more than anything.”

“What do you think is going to happen?”

“I told you, my parents—well, the Colonel, actually. He blames me for Lance’s death.”

“But that’s crazy. How could it possibly be your fault?”

“I told Lance I didn’t think he ought to be out there. I distracted him, apparently.” She shrugged. “He has to blame someone. It couldn’t possibly be his fault Lance was in Iraq, could it?”

“So Lance’s death had nothing to do with him acting the hero to impress his father?”

“Lance didn’t act the hero. He was a hero. He was my hero. Always has been. But, just so you know, I expect this to be difficult. He’s grieving. We all are. I haven’t spoken to The Colonel for over a week and the last time I did, it wasn’t pleasant. I’m scared of what he’ll say. Or what I’ll say. I’m afraid I can be as stubborn as he is sometimes. It’s in the blood, I guess.”

She led him into the yard, where people stood around, drinks in one hand, sandwiches in the other. There was a low hum of stilted conversation. Many heads turned to look at them as they entered and the whispering increased. Chris could guess what they were saying. “Who’s that man with Elizabeth? Have you ever seen him before? No, me neither.”

The Colonel and Ellen were on the far side of the yard, by the marquee, talking with Colonel James and Senator Richards. Beth led Chris over to them, ignoring the looks and whispers.

“I assure you,” said Senator Richards, “that there’s no need to worry. As soon as the election is out of the way, I’ll put on the pressure and get that nomination pushed through as quickly as I can. I’m sure the President’s people will see the media potential of this award. You’ll get your day at the White House to receive your son’s Medal of Honour—even if it’s the next President that hands it over.”

Ellen spotted her daughter first. “Beth, dear. How are you?” She held out her hand and Beth took it.

“I’ll be okay, Mom. How are you?”

“How do you think she is?” said the Colonel, before Ellen could answer.

“Bobby. Don’t.”

“So, you finally decided to show your face, my girl?” The Colonel’s voice cracked as he spoke. His face was drawn. There were bags under his eyes, which glistened with the tears he fought to hold back.

“I needed to stop off at my place first.”

“You needed to be by your mother’s side. By my side. But no, Little Lizzie has to stay in the background.”

“Erm, excuse me,” said Senator Richards. Looking embarrassed, he backed away and went in search of someone else to talk to. Colonel James slipped away without a word.

“You know how I feel, Daddy. Today should have been just for family and friends, not the whole world.”

“Don’t you think your brother deserved a proper send-off? A hero’s send-off?”

“Yes, I do. I just don’t think that’s what we had today.”

“Your brother was a true American hero. And today we treated him like one.”

Chris looked around. The chatter had stopped and all eyes were upon them. Beth’s mother was staring at the floor, shaking her head.

Beth stared at her father. “What he deserved was some dignity. He wouldn’t have wanted what happened today.”

“Lance was a military man. This is a military family. Why shouldn’t he have a military funeral?”

“I’ve got nothing against a military funeral. But what’s wrong with a small one? A dignified one? Today was all about the show. It was over the top.”

“How dare you, young lady. Your brother is going to receive the Medal of Honour. He deserved the biggest funeral we could give him. He was a hero. A patriot.”

“He wanted to be a lawyer, Daddy. He only joined the Army because it’s what you wanted. If it wasn’t for you and your outmoded ideals, he wouldn’t even have been in Iraq.”

“That’s enough, my girl. I didn’t raise you to talk to me like that. I expect some respect in my own home. Especially today. But then, why should you change now? You always were an ungrateful little wretch.”

Chris stepped forward. “That’s a little harsh, don’t you think?”

The Colonel looked at Chris with a critical eye. “And just who might you be?”

“Chris Austins. Sir.”

“He’s a friend of mine, Daddy.”

“A friend?” said Ellen in a soft voice. “This is your British friend?”

Colonel Burnett shot daggers at his daughter. His eyes narrowed and anger swept across his face. “You brought a date to your brother’s funeral. Oh, no wonder you wanted to stay in the background! A date! Unbelievable!”

“He’s not my date. He’s a friend. Here to support me.”

“Support you? And where were you when we needed your support? You should be thinking about your family!”

“You’re not the only one who’s upset here, Daddy. You’re not the only one who misses Lance.”

“Stop it! Both of you!” Ellen started to cry. She put her head on her husband’s chest and he put his arm around her.

“See now. You’ve upset your mother. Perhaps you should leave. You and your young man.”

“I think he’s right,” said Chris. Beth looked up at Chris. Her eyes were wet with tears once more. She nodded and strode towards the gate. Chris followed a few paces behind. Even when they were through the gate, he could still feel the eyes of every guest on him.

They didn’t speak as they walked back to the parking lot, nor throughout the drive home. It was only when they pulled up outside her house that Beth spoke. “You stuck up for me.” It was a statement, not a question.

“I know. I’m sorry about that. It only gave your father another reason to lay into you.”

“Don’t apologise. He’d have had a go at me over you at some point anyway. So don’t be sorry. Actually, I liked it. I’ve never had anyone stick up for me before. Except for Lance, and he’s my brother—that’s his job. Was his job. I guess he won’t be sticking up for me anymore, will he?”

Her smile was the saddest Chris had ever seen. He wanted to wipe the tears from her eyes and bring back the sparkle that had been there when she’d first seen him the day before. He wanted to sweep her up in her arms, love her, and protect her. Tell her everything would be all right and that he’d look after her. But he couldn’t. He knew that in less than two weeks he’d be flying out of her life again, and he’d go back to being the guy on the other side of the computer screen.

“It’ll be okay, Beth. The pain will fade with time. You’ll remember the good times you spent with Lance. All the happy times. It’ll be okay.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.